Start by marking “Home is Where the Bark Is” as Want to Read:
Home is Where the Bark Is

Home is Where the Bark Is

From the author of the delightful Love is a Four-Legged Word comes another novel of romance, mystery, and dogs.

Former model Serena Oakley has opened Paws-A-While, a doggy daycare and spa in San Francisco. When a ruggedly handsome client walks in, holding a Yorki-Poo too dainty for his personality, Serena knows something's not right.

Undercover PI Nick Whalen has follow
Published July 6th 2010 by Berkley (first published May 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Home is Where the Bark Is, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home is Where the Bark Is

Melissa
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern, romance
Aly
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75

Former model, now director of a doggy day-care center and spa in San Francisco, Serena Oakley plan to take a sabbatical from sex and men. But her plan fell apart when Nick Whalen and his Yorki-poo set foot in Paws-A-While. Intimidated by his presence and sex-appeal, she also can't help being suspicious of him. There's something not quite right with the fact he's got a pocket-size dog and doesn't seem to know a lot about the canine world.

You don't need to be a former FBI agent who left for p
Bookaholics
Jul 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Home is Where the Bark Is by Kandy Shepherd
Contemporary Romance – July 6, 2010
3 stars

I was at the Romance Writers of America meeting when Editor Kate Seaver said to me, "Send me a romance with dogs in it!" and that's precisely what this book is: a light-hearted, fun romance set in an unusual location and peopled by fur-folk.

Home Is Where the Bark Is opens in a doggie day spa of staggering indulgence. This is a very uncomfortable place for ex-FBI, now private eye hero Nick Whalen to go undercover
Lyssa
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is kind of like a sequel to "Love is a Four-Legged Word." The main character, Serena, was introduced in the first book as Maddy's best friend. Now Serena, ex-model, has opened up a doggy day-care. PI Nick has noticed that quite a few of Serena's clients have had identity theft issues which leads him to the doggy day-care to check out the owner, his number one suspect. Right away there's tons of fireworks between Nick and Serena that they both deny and the book follows them, a sweet doggy Ma ...more
Ariel Noble
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun yet pulling shirt novel, Home is Where the Bark Is is a novel about Serena Oakley, a retired model tired of being single and unloved. Although she has had many suiters in the past she just can't seem to find the one. She recently opened Paws-A-While, a fancy daycare for everyday mutts in busy San Francisco, but the dogs aren't helping her find the one she knows she is meant for. As one handsome man walks through the front door, Serena falls head over heels for him, but she shouldn't be so ...more
Shallowreader VaVeros
Apr 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, dog, contemporary
I love the cover but I just couldn't get past the first chapter - I must have been in a bad headspace when I tried to read this. On the plus side - both my sisters loved the book.
Eleni Konstantine
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Loved the humour, and the romance, and the mystery.
RomanceNovelNews.com
Written by B.A. Ruggiero for RomanceNovelNews.com

Serena Oakley is starting over. After a successful modeling career – her crowning moment was posing half-naked in a bath of melted chocolate – she’s trying to put the past behind her.

Failed relationships and a traumatic threat from a stalker have soured her taste for the spotlight. She’s chosen to hide out at her new business venture – the upscale Paws-A-While Doggie Daycare and Salon in San Francisco.

All goes according to plan until Nick Whalen
Virginia Campbell
The sexiest weakness in a man is his vulnerability to that one special woman. No matter how big, gruff, rough, and tough a man may be, love makes him reachable. The bigger they are...the harder they fall. The most invincible Alpha male may offer his heart like a gift to the woman he loves, and then he will wait for the look on her face to make sure she is pleased with the gift. In one who is usually without self-doubt, that moment of uncertainty is very appealing. I love a man who loves dogs and ...more
May
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers, happy romance fans
This is the second novel I've read (and I believe it's her second as well) from this author and both times the hook for me was that her stories revolve around dogs + some romance.

For a 'former model' woman, I found Serena to be highly likeable and didn't feel like she was a perfect woman. In fact, there were a few things about her that actually grated on me. She's terrified of "cops" a term that apparently extends to anyone in military, fbi, or any other remotely related field. She also has som
Tasha
Nov 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: he-loves-me, romance
So, My four year old daughter actually pointed this book out to me at the library becuase the little puppy on the front looks likes our neighbors dog and we love her so I had to pick it up. It was fun, quick read, didn't have to think to hard which is a major plus for me at the moment. Just an easy one to sit back and enjoy. Also perfect for those of you who find the dynamic of the little hand held dog being the latest fashion statement as interesting as I do... It's a DOG! I'm a dog lover, owne ...more
Jenn Richardson
Sep 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This was a cute book. Nothing fantastic but not bad either. For the most part it was entertaining and had a lot of "doggy" parts, which I liked (the dog is the main reason I picked up this book). It also had a bit of mystery to it. I figured out the mystery pretty quickly but it was still a nice addition to the story. So, not an all time favorite, but it was cute. This would be a good vacation read.
Jessica
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
A friend gave me this book because someone gave it to her and she just couldn't read it. It's kind of a mystery-romance that takes place in San Francisco and is about a doggy day care owner. I really love mysteries and dogs so I thought I'd give it a read. I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't really recommend it. I read it mostly in the bath as a light read.
Ann
Sep 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. It was very easy to read. It wasn't boring at all, but it isn't one of my favorites either. I liked that every time I thought I knew what was going to happen, I was wrong! I absolutely loved the ending.
Michelle
May 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
Slow, predictable plot. The ending is supposed to come as some surprise but you see it coming around the middle. There are some character details and a few plot details that are too far-fetched to overlook.
Audry
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
The characters are likable. The situations range from day to day realistic to somewhat outrageous and rushed. And maybe it seemed like a happy surrender of women's autonomy every time the expression "his woman" and it's cousins were tossed about.
Cooper
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
I should have known better by the description... This is time I will never get back. However, I am proud to say I figured out the whodunit before the undercover sexy FBI agent did... But then again sexy FBI agent had other things on his mind wink wink... Oops
Y
Dec 03, 2010 added it
Hm. Read a little and quit. Not really my type of book.
Libbet
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
This was in general fiction, so I wasn't expecting formulaic pot-boiler romance. Cute, but very predictable.
Carrie
Fun and entertaining, but nothing unique. Recommended if you like a healthy dose of dogs in your stories.
Rebekah
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Oh god. I knew it was going to be bad, but it was SO bad. Fortunately I was able to move the story along by skipping pages at a time.
Helen
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was such a good book a fun book to read
Katharine Holden
Sep 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Inane. Worst kind of chick lit/"pink" mystery-type writing.
Lucy
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fantastic feel-good read with likeable characters, spoiled doggies and with gorgeous cover to boot!
Kelly
Feb 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
no thanks, i read about three chapters and was so confused by the characters and the all over story line, i'm done.
Cathleen Ross
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. This one is very funny. Shepherd writes engaging characters. An author to watch.
Gjscollins
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this sweet romance! Would love to read this author again!
B
Nov 07, 2012
Nicole Stockton
Jan 20, 2013 marked it as to-read
It's one of those books where you wish their was a second one! Very funny.
Anthea
Jan 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Cooking Up Trouble (Angie Amalfi, #3)
  • An Eye For Danger
  • The Trouble with Valentine's
  • This Must Be Love (Summer Lovin', #1)
  • The Craft of Stone Brewing Co.: Liquid Lore, Epic Recipes, and Unabashed Arrogance
  • Montana Destiny
  • The Rented Husband
  • Shooting Gallery (An Art Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • The Mystery in San Francisco (The Boxcar Children, #57)
  • The Loving Dead
  • Into the Wild (The McGraws, #2)
  • Nine Lives Last Forever (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #2)
  • I, Fatty
  • A Pretty Mess (Astonvale, #1)
  • Saints in Limbo
  • Secrets in Time
  • Remember Me (The Rosewood Trilogy, #1)
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)

Kandy Shepherd left a fast-paced career as a magazine editor to write award-winning romantic fiction.
Kandy lives in a small farm in the Blue Mountains near Sydney, Australia, with her husband, daughter and a menagerie of four-legged friends.
She believes in love-at-first-sight and real-life romance—they worked for her!