Start by marking “Just Between You and Me: A Novel of Losing Fear and Finding God” as Want to Read:
Just Between You and Me: A Novel of Losing Fear and Finding God

Just Between You and Me: A Novel of Losing Fear and Finding God

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  1,487 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
The only thing scarier than living on the edge is stepping off it.

Maggie Montgomery lives a life of adventure. Her job as a cinematographer takes her from one exotic locale to the next. When Maggie's not working, she loves to rappel off cliffs or go skydiving. Nothing frightens her.

Published September 1st 2009 by Thomas Nelson (first published August 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Just Between You and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Between You and Me

Rachelle Cobb
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL book.
Lynn Spencer
When I lived closer to the city, I was in a good book club and I miss that. One of my friends talked me into coming to her book club(a group that alternates inspirational and mainstream fiction) and while I liked the people, this book didn't quite do it for me. I guess it got me thinking, but I can't say it was a book I loved.

The good:

- Writer has a definite voice and an appealing sense of humor
- Even though this book has a "big city heroine returns to small town" plot, there's a believable

Anna
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I really enjoyed this book. From Maggie's adventurous heart, and her addiction to sweet treats, to letting fear overcome the desire to do things, and the other characters that make the compelling plotline even more engaging.

The beginning of the story starts out with a fiery red-headed girl from a small town in Texas, named Maggie.
She gets an unexpected call from her father who beckons her home in need of some help. As Maggie returns home, all the things she ran away from in the past greet her
Michelle
I loved how this entire story played out. The emotional landscape was rich and thoroughly plowed. The hero was incredibly dreamy and yet realistic and believable. The heroine's issues were compelling, interesting, and clearly well-researched. The minor charactor, Riley, was probably the best portrayal of a screwed up kid that I've ever read. She was totally real and perfectly developed. Everything about her issues rang true. Even the sister, Allison, was shown in a believable fashion. I've worke ...more
Sally Lindsay-briggs
Just Between You and Me possessed the elements of an engaging, spirit-filled story. Maggie leaves her cinematography job to care for her young, troubled niece (along with her father). Connor, the great looking vet, comes along to save the day, more than once, and an interesting love story erupts. Our heroine also confronts her fears and we see how God works in her life. This is a really enjoyable book for many.
Morgan
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE REVIEWS AT READING, EATING & DREAMING

Jenny B. Jones is AMAZING! Her novels are inspirational, uplifting, romantic, and entertaining.

I recently read and adored Save the Date by Jenny B. Jones. Immediately after completing Save the Date, I purchased Jenny B. Jones’ other adult Christian fiction novel, Just Between You and Me: A Novel of Losing Fear and Finding God. I loved Save the Date, but I have to say that I loved Just Between You and Me even more.

Just Between You a
Nora St Laurent
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“There’s a feeling in the air, and I don’t like it. A feeling that says, Things are about to get messy and out of control. Messy I can handle. The contents of my purse are a testimonial to that. But the relationship business? Let’s just say I’m a better cinematographer than I am a girlfriend.”

This statement out of the mouth of Maggie, world traveler, great at her job, but not so good with relationships of any kind; which she soon discovers when a family emergency brings her home to Ivey, Texas.
Carla Stewart
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenny B. Jones debut into women’s fiction, Just Between You and Me, has been chosen as a 2009 WOMEN OF FAITH novel. In a departure from her quirky, action-filled Young Adult books, Jenny brings the same fun style to an adult audience.

Ivy, Texas is the last place Maggie Montgomery wants to go, but at the urgent request of her dad, she returns to her hometown. She’d rather be skydiving or rappelling or any number of other things in her adventurous life as a photojournalist. Once there, getting aw
Evangeline
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blogreads
Just Between You and Me is a perfect example of what women’s fiction is supposed to be—moving, meaningful, and freaking hilarious.

From the get-go, I was in love with the author’s style, her stellar one-liners, the expertly woven threads of tension, and the sizzling romance.

Maggie Montgomery is a cinematographer who’s not afraid of anything—except going home. But when a family crisis has her cooling her heels in her hometown of Ivy, Texas, Maggie must face her demons and the reality behind her ow
Carol Nicolas
In Just Between You and Me (by Jenny B. Jones), the main character captured my attention and drew me into the story. Maggie comes back to her home town for the weekend to find that her wild reputation is still alive and her family is a mess. Her sister’s daughter has been abandoned again, and her father has work and health problems. Her niece, Riley, has seen things no ten-year-old should see, and she is rebellious, wild, and destructive because of it. Maggie has decisions to make about her care ...more
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Maggie has had a huge wake-up call. The family she has been somewhat estranged from needs her help and it is in the form of her 10-year-old niece whose chemically imbalanced mother is no where to be seen. It requires her to go back home where she will be forced to face her high school reputation, the father who has never noticed her except to yell at her, and the death of her mother. There she runs into Connor. She doesn't remember him from high school, but he does and he doesn't like her very m ...more
Celestial
I love this book so much!
I am definitely buying this book. :D Maggie is a great character. She is super sarcastic, which I love. This story is so touching. I cried so many times while reading this book.
Also I love Maggie's niece Riley. She reminds SO much of a kid I know. :D Connor, Maggie's love interest, is also really really sweet. Maggie and Connor are a perfect couple, and their relationship was wonderful to read.

I will warn younger readers that there is a lot of mature content and a lot
Caroline
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Just by reading a couple of pages, I knew I am going to love this book and I was right. That's due to the humor. "Just of between you and me" is filled with the kind of humor that I like - self-deprecating and sarcastic. Since the book is in first person narrative, the author exploits that for humor.

After the great humor, comes the romance. It is delightful. Conner is an adorable, perfect guy for Maggie.

Next comes the faith. Just by reading the book's blurb, you would not realize the amount of
Kathleen Fuller
Jul 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I read So Not Happening I've been a Jenny B. Jones fan. While I've enjoyed all her YA books I was excited to find out she'd written an adult novel. Just Between You and Me has the perfect blend of humor, romance, poignancy, and faith, all intertwined into a touching story that stays with you long after you close the cover. Her best book so far (and I've read every one of them). Don't miss this wonderful story. You'll fall in love with it just as I did.
Shanda
Feb 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Successful cinematographer Maggie Montgomery has to learn to face her fears when she is called back to her dreaded hometown for a family crisis.

I'm still a little torn about Christian fiction and this one was a bit cheesy for me. Prayer and testimony are such personal, sacred things that reading a fictional account of it makes me squirm a little.

Just Between You and Me is a predictable, been-done-before plot that I still enjoyed reading.

Megan
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book about testing your faith and leaving the restraints of self-imposed boundaries. Maggie is an interesting character to get to know, and more importantly, to cheer on. Loved how her faith was portrayed as an ongoing struggle that she didn't give up on.
Anna
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so heart warming! I loved how she finally let God take her life
Cathy Daniel
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this in one day! Serious issues combined with humor. It's something only a talented author could pull off and she does and well!
Mindy
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Swoon worthy!

I love ever book that Jenny writes! They're full of sass, romance, comedy, and Faith. I love how this book deals with some serious issues in a gentle way. Yes, it's humorous, but it's real and it makes you think. Then you laugh right along with all of the great one-liners that you copy and paste to all your friends!
Elizabeth Brush
Ehhhh...I think I like Jones' YA books much better. Not a good portrayal of mental illness and the romance had no spark. Her YA books are funnier too. It's also been ages since I read Christian fiction, so that might be part of why I didn't love this.
Savvy
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need to read more of her books. Jenny writes very quirky characters that make you laugh and cry a little.
Alyson Gritter
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books. I seriously love this book and the struggles and issues it portrays throughout the novel.
Kelsey
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
Amazing. Just amazing!!!
Lena Friesen
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story! Made me laugh and cry.
Allen Grace
I admit I read this book earlier than I expected. I had expected it would be cheezy and boring as hell and eventually put me to sleep so I geared up my speakers volume as if battling for stereo love just in case I feel a bit woozy and prided myself on a cup of coffee.

My verdict: I fell in love with the book. *sigh*

Like I said it was love at first page, you guys. It was a refreshing read that I came to love the characters as well. I loved Maggie and Connor to bits! Also, I love how Jones writes
Belinda
I really like Jenny B. Jones and this is probably the third book of hers I've read...but definitely not my favorite. I feel like it was written very differently from the others stand-alone books. It felt too stereotypical Christian Fiction. Until now, her appeal as an author was that she offered Christian Fiction that was so unlike the other popularly recommend books on Goodreads.

The setting is Texas, in a "city" that feels overwhelmingly small town in it's characteristics, but still offers mos
Kirsten
"Just between You and Me" is what fiction of faith is supposed to be--moving, meaningful, real, and funny.
Jenny B. Jones weaves a poignant tale full of delectable dialogue, and believable situations.
The Good:
Clichés are kept to a minimum One of the main reasons I do not read Christian fiction is because they feel predictable and un-relatiable. Even though this book has a "big city heroine returns to small town" plot, there's a believable reason for the return. Maggie's family truly does face a
Shelby  Swing
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had no doubt in my mind that I would enjoy this book. After reading Jenny’s YA novel, There You’ll Find Me, I knew I was lethally hooked. Her use of humor to offset the heavy issues she deals with delights me beyond words, but at the same time touches our souls with heart-felt stories of renewal and grace. I just can’t get enough of it!

Maggie likes to think she escaped Ivy, Texas. She likes to think she loves her job, and that she’s not avoiding her father or her deranged sister. She likes to
Halee
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 13 and Up
~The only thing scarier than living on the edge is stepping off it.

Nothing, that is, except Ivy, Texas, where a family emergency pulls her back home to a town full of bad memories, painful secrets, and people Maggie left far behind . . . for a reason.

Forced to stay longer than she i
  • Rematch (Lauren Holbrook, #2)
  • Dining with Joy (Lowcountry Romance, #3)
  • Sweetwater Gap
  • My Stubborn Heart
  • My Foolish Heart (Deep Haven, #4)
  • Stay Until We Break (Hub City, #2)
  • A Case for Love (Brides of Bonneterre, #3)
  • Faking Grace
  • Told You So (Told You, #1)
  • A Billion Reasons Why
  • Love Finds You in Sunset Beach, Hawaii
  • Love Finds You in Snowball, Arkansas
  • Wildflowers from Winter
Four-time Carol Award winner Jenny B. Jones writes contemporary romance with wit, sass, and Southern charm. Since writing for both women and teens leaves her with very little free time, she believes in spending her spare hours in meaningful, intellectual pursuits, such as watching E!, going to the movies and inhaling large buckets of popcorn, and writing her name in the dust on her furniture. www. ...more
More about Jenny B. Jones...

“Because you will never, ever have the life God’s planned for you as long as you’re holding on to that fear. You can’t swim to shore if you never let go of that life preserver.” 16 likes
“What’s hard is not having that hope. I can’t imagine going through bad times without that peace. Without that surrender, life just eats you up. Spits you out. Wears you down to nothing.” 7 likes