Start by marking “The Worst Things In Life Are Also Free (Dear Dumb Diary, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Worst Things In Life Are Also Free (Dear Dumb Diary, #10)

The Worst Things In Life Are Also Free (Dear Dumb Diary #10)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  1,463 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
School's out for the summer, and that means no more Meat Loaf Thursdays, Sunday homework-cramming, or teachers (way way unsuccessfully) trying to act cool. It also means that certain Mackerel Middle Schoolers have a lot of time on their hands . . . and seriously empty pockets.

Isabella is going to change all that. And Jamie and Angeline are going to help --- whether they

Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages
Published June 1st 2010 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Worst Things In Life Are Also Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worst Things In Life Are Also Free

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

It's summer vacation time. No school means time to do whatever, but Jamie Kelly and her friends Isabella and Angeline quickly discover that anything worth doing costs money. It's even more infuriating when grown-ups keep telling them, "The best things in life are free." Yeah, right!

Uncle Dan saves the day when he makes a deal with the three girls. He says if they can earn $100 each over the next month, he will take them to the amuse
Jacqueline
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hi readers!
Recently, I've read this book The Worst Things in Life are Also Free, By Jim Benton. This book is a diary type book, but the story is mostly about a girl named Jamie Kelly, wants to make money and own a amusement park and name it Screamtopia. She and her friends, Angeline, Isabella, and Emmily, are making money. They have lemonade stands, second handed things, and car washes. Emmily walked children on leashes, and called it child walking. And she made lots of money. And Angeline cut
Shawna
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humour
Jay
Jul 22, 2011 rated it liked it
It turns out that if you accidentally skip this book and read 11 and 12 before you realize what you're doing, the world doesn't end and the story isn't even confusing.

This one is as funny as the previous book (and at least of the subsequent ones). I always like the resolution to these stories and this one was no exception.

My daughter just gave up eating meat about 3 weeks ago. I'm wondering what she's going to think of this book. (She hasn't read it yet, but is planning to very soon.)

Note: Usual
Alec
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book The Worst Things In Life Are Free is a fictional book written by Jim Benton about a girl named Jamie and her friends figuring out how to get money for Screamotopia. Their first thing the tried to do to get money was to set up a lemonade stand. As other ideas went by they kept making money. The one day they found a way to get money. To find out how they get the money for Screamotopia read this amazing fictional book.
Karen Huang
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is telling or discussing how a girls life is hard during school. She was thinking about the good free stuff in life, but after she thought about it, she realized that even the bad things in life is also free. Like bug bites, sunburn, etc. This book is much funnier than her other books. Very Very realistic book. This girl also has a really big imagination but can never make then come true. Funny illustrations and meanings. I love this book!
Aqua Xian
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone. Guarenteed laughs, or if you're Mr. Vandoy, at least a chuckle.
Recommended to Aqua by: My eyes, who saw it in the library and immediately told my brain to scream "YEESSS!!"
This was a great book. *SPOILER* Jamie begins to warm up to Angeline, which I think is awesome. I hate that she hates her. I read this a while ago, so I can't remember much, but it is of course as hilarious as its precedors.
Nana
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Christine
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Dear Dumb Diary, The Worst Things in Life are Also Free by Jim Benton

Read Jamie Kelly’s tenth diary: The Worst Things in Life are Also Free. “Sneak a peek inside the diary of Jamie Kelly, who promises that everything she writes is true . . . or at least as true as it needs to be!”

“The best things in life are free” says Isabella’s mom. Jamie, Isabella, and Angeline are raising money to go to Screamotopia Amusement Park with Jamie’s Aunt Carol, and Angeline’s Uncle Dan, who married. But the “raisi
Alexis
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this book was spectacular. I love it when Jamie try's to feed a baby her shoe beacause she didn't know what she was doing. Jamie Kellie is very cool and fun person to read about. She is always thinking about new ideas for different things, like the time when she thought of making a 100ft long French fry. Or the time Isabella and Jamie thought of an idea to walk children. Jamie Kellie is always hearing about these crazy rumors. I reccomand this book to to people because you are always lau ...more
Edward Creter
The worst things in life are often the best things in life...if we only take things from a new perspective. Too bad Jamie Kelly, diarist (meaning, in a sense, NOVELIST) in training, and all-around sweet preteenager (at least we think so!) has yet to get the Post-It note. She now is in the annoying habit of living simple, something she admittedly has never considered doing. The cost to her soul is mindbending...and heartening at best. Will she FINALLY accept Angeline into her enclave without puki ...more
Gabrial Olson
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Jamie Kelly is at it again. It is now summertime and Jamie's aunt and uncle give Jamie, her best friend (Isabella), and her cousin by marriage (Angeline) a proposition. If they can come up with $100 a piece they will pay for the hotel for them to stay at so they can go to Screamotopia Amusement Park. They come up with a variety of schemes to earn the money from an unsuccessful lemonade stand, to cutting their hair, to having a car wash.

I think this would appeal to any girl between third through
Charlotte
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jamie Kelly writes in her Dumb Dairy about her hopes, thoughts, and dreams and it's given to the world. Jamie's Aunt Carol and Uncle Dan tell them that Jamie, her BFF Isabella, and Angeline( Uncle Dan's other niece) can go with them to an amusement park, if they make 3 hundred dollars. All the ideas sort of get them some money, but not much. What will they do?
Dear Dumb Dairy books show a young girl's feelings, opinions, and actions in her dairy. A life filled with money, BFFs, meatloaf, and h
Nairee
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
well i think that it was a really good book bc i read it before and like i really think you should read the book its just lIKE about jamie and her friends trying to make money over the summer so they can go to the amusment park then anngleana donoteaed her hair to canser and then jaime got mad at her then jamie stared a car wash for 25 cents but the only person that kept comming was mrs. cirgereat lady then elzabeth came up with something and they throught of babysisting so they would go to peop ...more
Heenly Pelayo
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was cute in the end and kind of boring in the beggining. First of all props to the unexepcted ending. I think this book is great to read in the summer since the setting is summer. I also think this book is great because it talks about money , something we all love. I like how its about that but in a dorky way. This book is about how Angeline, Emmily, Isabella and Jamie all try to do fun things but they realize all good things require money and all bad things dont. So they mak ...more
Dania Seyoury
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
The book The worst things in life are also free written by Jim Benton was an okay book. The character’s in the book did seem believable. The character's focused on the most was Isabelle, Angelica, and Jaime. A quick summary of the book was that the three girls wanted to have an amusement park and name it screampia. These they had to make three hundred dollars. They made them all by their work. The theme in the story was that the best things in life are also free. It was an overall okay book.
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was fun, is it ever easy to earn money? Well apparently if you use ebay or have other people earn it for you, which I fell jipped that elementary kids can learn this less from this book and I had to become an adult to learn it.
Nathalie Mintjens
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
I haven't read it.. But i will try find it in the library or buy it because the picture looks interesting, And the title sounds interesting. If any of you has it, can you please lend it to me? Or maybe just tell em where to buy it? yeah so ok... bye (:
Rachel
Jul 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Funny, as per usual, but the more I read these books, the more I notice how incredibly horrible the story lines are! So immature that you can't help but shake your head and think, "Oh, Jamie, how you and Emmily are alike..."
Leah
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This will take you on a journey with Jamie Kelly and her friend Isabella though a stroy of adventures though tough times and good times. this story wiil leave you hanging. this is heart filled story. This is a story you will have to read.
Andreea
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
After I read the previous one I was scared. But no, these books are still funny... that one was a failure (for me), but I loved this one. And now I get it why Jamie is so annoyed with Angeline - she is so kind and lovely, TOO PERFECT!
Luca
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A really hairy mess.
Mallory
Jul 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Once again. Not that funny...
Cathy
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. Read it with my son - I wish the covers weren't pink - there really is no reason for these books to be just for girls. Had some good laugh out loud parts.
Rock_It_Out!!! xD
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The title is SOOOOO true
Christine (AR)
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Isabella gets more hilarious with each book. And scarier, too. Though I'm always a fan of the anti-social genius.
Joan Hope
Jan 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
nice book
VIVI  GARCIA
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
ok
Tamia Davis
So far this book is good to me I think people should read it. I fill like this would me when I was a little bit younger I like this book a lot.
Diana Hernandez
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ohmigod!I love this series sooo much. Especially Isabella! I can't wait to read the rest of the books!
  • Winner Bakes All (The Cupcake Club, #3)
  • Fourth Grade Fairy (Fourth Grade Fairy, #1)
  • Glitter Girls and the Great Fake-Out (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #5)
  • Cheat Sheet (How I Survived Middle School, #5)
  • Arthur Makes the Team (Arthur Chapter Book, #3)
  • Bad Pets: True Tales of Misbehaving Animals
  • Karen's Tea Party (Baby-Sitters Little Sister, #28)
  • Home Is Where The Heart Is (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #17)
  • Cheryl the Christmas Tree Fairy (Rainbow Magic)
  • Catnipped (Bad Kitty: The Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Her Evil Twin (Poison Apple #6)
  • Heartsinger
  • The Horror At Chiller House (Goosebumps HorrorLand, #19)
  • Scheme Spirit (Cinderella Cleaners, #5)
  • Class Trip to the Cave of Doom (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #3)
  • Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel
  • Horrible Harry and the Holidaze
  • Emily's Runaway Imagination
Benton began his career in a custom design t-shirt shop where he started designing his own characters. At the same time, Jim did illustrations and artwork for magazines and newspapers. People magazine named him "the most visible cartoonist in America" .

Benton also created greeting cards and worked in the magazine and publishing industry. In 1998, his SpyDogs characters became an animated series, T
More about Jim Benton...

Dear Dumb Diary (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Let's Pretend This Never Happened (Dear Dumb Diary #1)
  • My Pants Are Haunted
  • Am I the Princess or the Frog? (Dear Dumb Diary, #3)
  • Never Do Anything, Ever (Dear Dumb Diary #4)
  • Can Adults Become Human?
  • The Problem with Here Is That It's Where I'm From (Dear Dumb Diary,#6)
  • Never Underestimate Your Dumbness (Dear Dumb Diary, #7)
  • It's Not My Fault I Know Everything (Dear Dumb Diary #8)
  • That's What Friends Aren't For (Dear Dumb Diary #9)
  • Okay, So Maybe I Do Have Superpowers (Dear Dumb Diary #11)