Start by marking “Exodus (Star Trek: Vulcan's Soul, #1)” as Want to Read:
Exodus (Star Trek: Vulcan's Soul, #1)

Exodus (Star Trek: Vulcan's Soul #1)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  393 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Following their bestsellers "Vulcan's Forge" and "Vulcan's Heart, " Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz embark on a new trilogy chronicling the latter-day adventures of one of "Star Trek'"s most beloved characters, shedding new light on his world's shocking history. One year after the end of the Dominion War, the Romulan Star Empire comes under attack by a mysterious and ala ...more
Published July 20th 2004 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Exodus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exodus

Steve
I am a little conflicted by this book. While I enjoyed seeing a fair chunk of the main characters from the original series pop up in a book set after the Dominion War ended, the two story-lines developed very slowly, and there didn't seem to be any intertwining in sight until the very end of the book. Due to it being the first book of a trilogy, the climax was rather short and underdeveloped. I shall have to see how this series changes over the next two books.
Lisianna
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Hoping the rest of the trilogy wraps up the story.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Half a decade after their previous Star Trek masterpiece, the endlessly epic and politically relevant “Vulcan’s Heart,” the dynamic author duo Josepha Sherman and Susan M Shwartz finally returned with a bold opening to a trilogy about Vulcan history.

The story kicks off in the 1 year anniversary of the peace treaty between the Dominion and the Federation, a celebration that is interrupted by a brutal attack directed at the Romulan Star Empire. Ambassador Spock faces a grandiose diplomatic challen
Wayland Smith
I don't know why writing in multiple time-frames has become the thing to do, but it seems to be popular in a lot of media right now. There's no time travel in this one, mercifully, but it bounces back and forth between two very different times: one year after the Dominion War and back when the Sundering began, as the people who eventually become the Romulans leave Vulcan.

In the "present," Spock, Uhura, Chekov, Saavik, and a few others deal with the sudden surprise attack by the Watraii, a race
Leann
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a Star Trek fan since the original series came out. I liked the idea of learning more about Surak and the early days of Vulcan. We learn little if nothing about how Surak developed his philosophy - the story just starts with him a known troublemaker and the reason for the exile ships that eventually lead us to Romulans doesn't seem to jibe with earlier stories.

The present day story seems a bit contrived - now not only has Scotty survived into the TNG era (time is a year after the Dom
Cupcakencorset
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Star Trek novel, the first of a trilogy, which starts about a year after the end of the Dominion War. Serious Trekkers (not “Trekkies,” by the way) will find this book, um, fascinating. I know I did. It features favorite characters from the original ST series, including (now) Admirals Uhura and Chekov, Spock and his now-wife Saavik. It also time-jumps, giving us a taste of Vulcan’s history and a close acquaintance with the legendary Surak. The Vulcan side of the ST universe has always ...more
Monochrome
I struggled with this book for months and I'm glad I can finally get it out of my system.

The pacing in the Memory segments was excruciatingly slow and there was some repetition of already established facts (e.g. a character changed their name and the author(s) reminded you of that at least twice in the following pages, although it wasn't something difficult to remember).

I didn't like the writing style in general. The premise is interesting, and it was nice to see some familiar characters, but I
Celest
Jul 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the historical context of the Sundering and the storylines tying those older Vulcan stories modern times, but I think more focus should have been given to Surak and his story and influence on Vulcan culture. Events take place in "Memory" of old Vulcan and "Now" in a current battle between a coalition of known cultures versus an unknown culture.

My biggest problem with the book is that the "Now" events of the first chapter do not fit sensibly into the other "Now" events. Otherwise, a good
Jerry
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a space opera yarn, Exiles excels. The story and writing are both great, but that's to be expected from the duo that brought us the legendary duology about everyone's favorite Vulcan. It does leave some loose ends, but it is the first of a trilogy, so I would expect those to be wrapped up by the end of the third novel. Star Trek fans can't go wrong with this one.
Grant
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans have long speculated, based on passing references in TOS, who Surak was, how the Romulans came to leave Vulcan, and how the Vulcans and Romulans became so different. Sherman provides interesting and exciting answers to these questions (or at least a start of the answers, since this is book 1 of a trilogy). A fun read.
nick
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
only read 4 chapters an that was pushing it. the beginning had some kind of amusing moments & when the watraii are introduced. the two story line setup was really confusing at first. drawn out in a boring way. some repetitive moments. descriptive where it didnt need to be and not descriptive where it needed to be. a couple words I didnt know.
Michael T Bradley
I actually bowed out of the audiobook a little early because it's SO abridged I was barely able to follow it. I recommend the audiobook only for those who've read it already & want to be reminded of the high points before moving on to book two.
Migul
May 17, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Hey, who doesn't like Spock,(my brother doesn't) the Federation is back, except that the story line's on Admiral Spock. A wierd and violant species attack Vulcan. And they have high teck weapons. Now the Vulcans, Federation, and the Rombulans have to team up to take down this dictating species.
Michelle
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Hoo boy, I'm not really enjoying this series; they're not the best Star Trek books I've ever read, and I'm finding them a little flat and predictable compared to, say, The Romulan Way. But I started this and I'm going to finish it.
Marianne
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
not quite Diane duane but still an exellent story for lovers of vulcans and romulans.
Marie Christine
Good read, but not a complete book. Why was it necessary to cut a book in three I wonder since this part was so short.
shawn stapleton
Mar 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great star trek novel to listen on the road.
Brooke Corwin
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts off slow, but gradually suspense and insight grow and it turns out to be a fantastic story of Vulcan history and character.
Carolyn Scharnick
Awesome start to the Trilogy, you will never believe from where you are who the aliens are.
Julia
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
very good history of Romulans and the split
Kevin
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy Star Trek, especially ongoing stories. Book one started out well so I'm looking forward to the next two in the trilogy.
Dale w
Jun 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an entertaining book. Had a bit of the usual Star Trek flavor. I enjoyed it enough to go on to the next book.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Absolutely enthralling read that answers some questions about the Vulcans, Romulans, Remans, and others.
Jannik Anderson
It was okay, but seeks to re-write the earlier stories of the Romulan origins. The Diane Duane books were better.
Kaylabookworm22 L
I really enjoyed it, it was good :)
Joanne
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book, hard to keep track of all the names, all foreign of course- vulcan!!! now the next one is on audilble, wondering how i will do listening after reading this one with the names!!!
Leah Larsen
Aug 22, 2016
Melody
May 22, 2016
  • Sarek
  • McCoy: The Provenance Of Shadows (Star Trek: Crucible, #1)
  • Mind Meld
  • The Romulan Way (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #2)
  • To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #3)
  • Catalyst of Sorrows (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2360)
  • Cast No Shadow (Star Trek)
  • Ex Machina (Star Trek)
  • Wagon Train to the Stars (Star Trek: New Earth, #1)
  • Cloak (Star Trek: Section 31, #1)
  • The Art of the Impossible (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2328-2346)
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • The Last Roundup
  • Captain's Glory (Star Trek: Totality #3)
  • Enterprise (Star Trek: My Brother's Keeper, #3)
  • Harbinger (Star Trek: Vanguard, #1)
  • After the Fall (Star Trek: New Frontier, #15)
Josepha Sherman was an American author, folklorist, and anthologist. In 1990 she won the Compton Crook Award for the novel The Shining Falcon.
More about Josepha Sherman...

Star Trek: Vulcan's Soul (3 books)
  • Exiles (Star Trek: Vulcan's Soul, #2)
  • Epiphany (Star Trek: Vulcan's Soul, #3)
“Easier by far, thought Ambassador Spock, to get forgiveness than permission. Humans might have invented that saying, but its applications were universal. The” 1 likes
“If I forget thee, O Vulcan, let my eyes lose their fire, my blood lose its flame, and my intellect its keenness.” 1 likes