Start by marking “Promises (Coda Books, #1)” as Want to Read:
Promises (Coda Books, #1)

Promises (Coda Books #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  10,038 Ratings  ·  957 Reviews
Jared Thomas has lived his whole life in the small mountain town of Coda, Colorado. He can't imagine living anywhere else. Unfortunately, the only other gay man in town is twice his age and used to be his teacher, so Jared is resigned to spending his life alone. Until Matt Richards walks into his life, that is. Matt has just been hired by the Coda Police Department, and he ...more
Published January 8th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published January 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Promises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promises

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels
Favorite Gay Couples
2,723 books — 3,528 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon Suede
The Best of Gay Romance
2,975 books — 3,233 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Who stayed up until 3 am to finish this story last night??

----->ME<------

Who has regrets?

::crickets::

Not me, because this book rocked the F-ing house!!!!

Why haven't I read this book before now? WHY?! Why haven't I read Marie Sexton before now?! Why?! I think Mama just found a new crack because this book made me want to one-click the entire Promises series at 3:30 am.

The characters? Amazing. The chemistry? Amazing. The whole book? Amazing.

These are the types of contemporary romances that I
Julio Genao
Jun 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, bantha-poodoo
loathed.

loathed it.

my copy is highlighted-to-shit-and-back with all the horrendous things this book is trying to say.

i'm livid.

book: j'deteste.

j'defuckingteste!

why?

i'll tell you.

because you, book, do not speak truth.

you take bits and bobs of shit you've seen on the internet and turn it into an embarrassing hash of pseudo-psychological justification for absolute dafuqery.

the ideas you promote, little booky-wook, are toxic and offensive.

because you demonstrate a profound disrespect for the nature
Lola
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: M/M contemporary romance lovers.
description

This was a quite beautiful and addictive story.

Jared is in his early thirties and living peacefully in Coda where he grew up and where his family has always been. Except, he’s lonely and the only person with whom he shares his bed is a rich and mostly unavailable man traveling from here to there on and on. I was so glad to see Cole in this book. I know I may have been cheating a little because I’ve actually read Strawberries for Dessert (fantastic story) before picking Promises up, but it felt g
Exina

The Story
Jared Thomas lives in the small town of Coda, Colorado. He is openly gay but very withdrawn. He has no friends, except his sister-in-law, Lizzy. He is resigned to live his life alone, but suffers from being so lonely.

Matt Richards just moved into town. He is adamant about being straight. He explains the fact that he has never been committed to any woman by preferring to be independent and autonomous. The truth is that he has never felt satisfied being with a woman. So he just g
♡Karlyn P♡
Wow, this one did NOT disappoint! I read very few m/m romances, but compared to the many m/f ones I’ve read, this was a WINNER.

Promises is told through Jared’s point of view as he meets and falls in love with Matt, a person he believes will never be more than just his great friend. We get a wonderful glimpse into the lives of two people who must come to terms with their own identities, desires and expectations before they can truly love and be happy. This story really grabbed me and I hated to
Alice
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to, m-m
4.25 “I just want to touch you a little more.” stars.
Jensen Ackles
“I wish I could stop thinking about you. I wish I didn't miss you so much.”

Jared was born and raised in Coda, only leaving to go to college. His whole family lives in Coda, his mum, brother and his sister in law. He was always more attracted to guys than girls, and over time, he realised that he was gay. While at college he got a degree in teaching. But instead of becoming a teacher, he opted out and works at his family's automobile shop. A
Judith
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
*** SWEET,SEXY M/M STORY ***

OH,I REALLY enjoyed this...Story of Jared and Matt..

JARED

MATT

Jared has lived in a small town in Colorado all his life.He is openly Gay but lonely,and while the residents of the town know this he doesn't openly flaunt it and prefers to live in a Bubble,concentrating on work and his family.....

All that changes when Matt moves into town as a new Cop.They form a friendship and while Jared is honest about his sexuality..Matt is not,insisting that he's straight.Jared is
* Meli Mel *

♥♥♥ 4 "I PROMISE" STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Finally, she took a deep breath and said, “Jared, let me say two things, and then I’ll never mention this ugly incident again.”

“Do I have a choice?”

“No, you don’t. The first is this: you can’t control what others think. The only thing you can control is yourself. Some people will look down on you for your choices in life, no matter what they are. You can’t do anything about that. The only thing you can do is decid
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
I wouldn't change a single thing in this book. So heartwarming and so beautifully written. So romantic and very fast paced.

I'm finding myself reading more and more MM books. I still like FM books, but these have less BS. Females tend to be so melodramatic....

This book has been on my TR shelf since forever and I finally found the time to read it. I like how there isn't an insta lust situation ( well, there is, but only from one of the MCs and it wasn't annoying.) I like how the things develop bet
Nick Pageant
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Hot cop meets shy, quiet guy. GFY ensues. Marie Sexton is one of the best.
Mo
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I dip into M/M now and again. Hadn’t read anything by this author before but will definitely be checking out more of her story.

Two great guys, one is gay, the other is not, or so he thinks. Friendship, laughter, tears, family, parents, siblings, small-town living …. It has it all.

And Matt’s Dad… what a fucking asstwat he was

"Because your Dad’s an angry, belligerent, antagonistic asshole."

I often wonder how I would react if my own kids came home and told me they were Gay, I hope I would be accept
Ingela
3 Stars - nice about important topics such as homophobia and to stand up for who you are - then it was two lovely men who fell in love, yummy and cute...

Another nice, romantic novel about two rather ordinary men from Ms Sexton. I like the mood in her books and her style. It's usually pretty close to a everyday life and I feel cozy and good reading about it. As another friend said - when the last page is read, I sit there with a smile and am happy. So it was even this time with this rather short
Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦
description

Jared lived in Coda, Colorado all his live. He’s gay and his lonely; he doesn’t have a partner because there’s only one gay man in this small town, who’s thirty years older than him. Everybody in town knows he’s gay, most of them accepting him. He doesn’t trust people not to hurt him, that’s way he doesn’t use his degree in physics to teach. Instead, he works at his family store with his brother and his sister in law.

Matt is new in town. He was just hired by the Coda PD and he’s straight. Jared
Susan
Oct 23, 2012 rated it liked it

hanging on to that 3 stars by the skin of its teeth...

Promises is fine.
It's a decent-enough read.
Maybe a good M/M cherry-popper for those curious.

I'm not certain I was a big fan, however. It grew on me at times and totally turned me off at times. I feel almost like Sexton treats her readers w/ white gloves and is very careful not to offend. (BTW, would it kill her to use a conjunction? Her writing style is sometimes so choppy)

I liked Jared and the side characters (his family). I even liked Mat
Sara
This was so good. I loved the way it was told, the first lines setting up the story... The whole thing started because of Lizzy’s Jeep. If it hadn’t been for that, I might not have met Matt. And maybe he wouldn’t have felt the need to prove himself. And maybe nobody would have been hurt... and THEN telling the story. This was good. Have I said that? My first from the author and so very long over due. Ugh.

I loved Jared and Matt through all the mess and confusion. I loved them becoming friends
Heidi Cullinan
Feb 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dsp-authors
Ohhhhh, this book. Do you want the short version? Here: go buy it. Go read it.

It's some sort of long-term blue moon, I guess, because here is another first person narrative that I really enjoyed. I loved the characters. I loved the emotions. I loved the SETTING. We took a vacation last year which included Colorado twice, and it was all I could do not to get in the car and rush back there the whole time I was reading.

I think my favorite aspect of this was how flawed both the protagonists were: t
Monique
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book.......It's a love story about two really lovely, although both lonely men, one openly gay and one who is really not sure about his sexuality........but he's 'Definitely not GAY'??!!

Jared, after gaining his degree in college returns to run the family store with his sister in-law in the small town of Coda. He has learned to live with being ostracized by some of the community for his sexuality.

Then one day in walks Matt, the new Police Officer in Coda.

What is refreshing about this book
Buggy
Opening Line: " The whole thing started because of Lizzy's Jeep."

This was a quick, easy and very enjoyable read that I had trouble putting down. I’m a bit of a sucker when it comes to the gay-for-you romances anyway but this one was just perfect.

PROMISES is a slow burning romance but that just made it all the better because we get tons of sexual tension and character development. Watching these guys go from friends to lovers over an extended period of time felt realistic. The love scenes also s
Michael
Promises tells the story of two lonely people who have caused their own solitude. It’s not a totally stifling solitude; both the main characters are very active and socially healthy individual. It’s the type of loneliness that happens when people put up barriers in their own lives.

Both characters are in their own sort of closet. Matt is a classic closet case, placed there by pressures from family and society. He’s already been giving serious thought to where he is in his life and when he meets J
Catherine
*** 3.5 Stars ***

The first in a series loved by many M/M romance fans, Promises was a story - equal parts sweet and frustrating - about two men who built their romantic relationship on a foundation of friendship.

That aspect, I loved.

In fact, I appreciated that both characters seemed to honestly struggle with their decisions - Matt with coming to terms with who he was, and Jared with being out and proud when he was in a relationship with someone who mattered. And I know it sounds weird to say,
Awilk -never sleeps-
This was a beautiful moving story of two men who were so very lonely, but still trying to live their lives.

Jared was an openly gay man who lived in a small town who had made his peace with the fact that he was likely to stay alone.

Matt was a newcomer to town. He had just moved to start a job with the local police. He was also Jared's ideal man.

They started out as friends and it slowly turned to something much more, which was difficlt for Matt as he saw himself as straight.

The relationship had a
Lenore
Not half bad friends to lovers story. It felt a bit amateurish but the plot panned out all right and the main characters were fairly likable—most of the time at least. As for the secondary characters, Joseph, Matt's father, was overblown in my opinion and Dan, a caricature of a villain.

Other than that, Promises served its purpose as a fluffy, fairly uncomplicated romance. Entertaining.

I've decided to read these in order so, on to A to Z.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I reread this book today, and it was just as great as I remembered it being!
Two really likable MC's ,nice family ( well except for good old dad) and a quick peek at Cole! :)

Ok, I bought this one as an audiobook too, I still really like the story.
Floripiquita
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
3,5 estrellas. Me ha parecido una historia bonita y bien contada, pero he echado en falta más escenas eróticofestivas al estilo Wes &Jamie (mí pareja favorita de M/M y una de las top10 de cualquier género romántico) o Tate&Logan.
Breann
I love Marie Sexton.
I love Matt’s willingness to be out for Jared.
I love Jared’s commitment to Matt, whatever Matt was ready for.
I love, I love, I love.

Matt & Jared become besties when Matt moves to Coda, Colorado. Matt is straight and a confirmed bachelor. He turns down all of the women that are throwing themselves at the new guy in town. Instead of banging hot chicks, Matt wants to spend his free time with Jared. Matt still has not a clue. They bike together, camp together, watch football
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
Solid 4 stars....maybe even 4.5. There really wasn't anything I didn't like about this story. It was short, sweet and sexy!

Jared is one of two gay men living in Coda, Colorado. He's resigned himself to the fact that the odds of meeting someone are slim to none. He runs the auto parts/hardware store with his brother and sister-in-law.

When Matt walks in inquiring about a Jeep for sale, Jared sees a small glimmer of hope. But Matt isn't gay....nope, no way, no how, not happening.

Matt was buried d
Garrett
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jared and Matt's story was JUST what I needed to read.
It had me feeling giddy, Image and video hosting by TinyPic
and ready to throw my Kindle within just a mere chapter. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I felt this book was super realistic (can it be my life, pleasssse?)

Around 53% I saw potential for the plot to hit a iceberg and tragically sink, I was ready to abandon ship. I am glad I didn't, because this turned into one of the BEST M/M romance HEA's I have read in a while.
Certainly the most memorable.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I really just dislike posting reviews that include a
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**
**4.25 stars**

I've been on a lucky streak lately, this is another one that just hit the spot.

description

Such an exquisitely sweet book. Matt and Jared's story is perfect for those beginning in the M/M genre. Decent steam. A little angst. Lots of love. Fantastic characters. Great banter.

And there was sweet swoon all over the place.

description

Off to check out more by this author.
Shelley
It was nice.

Probably one of the better gay-for-you tropes out there. When I say better, I mean believable.

The first person POV is adequately insightful.

The relationship is a friends to lovers slow burn with bridges to cross.

And the overall impact is both non offensive and unremarkable.

Not bad at all, but it didn't blow me away ... can you tell?

Jen
2017 Reading Chal...: Highly Recommended & FREE until tomorrow... 2 46 Jun 19, 2016 05:24AM
promises 8 130 Sep 14, 2014 05:57PM
  • Faith & Fidelity (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #1)
  • Keeping Promise Rock (Promises, #1)
  • Crossing Borders (Crossing Borders, #1)
  • Caught Running
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Cop Out (Toronto Tales, #1)
  • American Love Songs
  • Shades of Gray
  • Stars & Stripes (Cut & Run, #6)
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5)
  • Sno Ho (Summit City, #1)
  • A Matter of Time, Vol. 1 (A Matter of Time #1-2)
  • Special Delivery (Special Delivery, #1)
  • The One That Got Away
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Zero at the Bone (Zero at the Bone)
Marie Sexton lives in Colorado. She’s a fan of just about anything that involves muscular young men piling on top of each other. In particular, she loves the Denver Broncos and enjoys going to the games with her husband. Her imaginary friends often tag along. Marie has one daughter, two cats, and one dog, all of whom seem bent on destroying what remains of her sanity. She loves them anyway.

Coda: W

Coda Books (7 books)
  • A to Z (Coda Books, #2)
  • The Letter Z (Coda Books, #3)
  • Strawberries for Dessert (Coda Books, #4; Strawberries for Dessert, #1)
  • Paris A to Z (Coda Books, #5)
  • Fear, Hope, and Bread Pudding (Coda Books, #6; Strawberries for Dessert, #2)
  • Shotgun (Coda Books, #7)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
  • Bittersweet
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Heirs of Grace
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Valorous (Quantum, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tempting Dusty (Temptation Saga, #1)
  • When Never Comes
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #12)
  • The End of the Affair
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Baby Daddy
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twice Bitten (Argeneau #27)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures of a Good Wife (Misadventures, #6)
  • Calendar Girl: Volume Three
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Storm Warned (Grim, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Twisted Up (Taking Chances, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Fangs and Fennel (The Venom Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Jared?” His fingers were playing gently in my curls.
“Yes?” I was more than halfway asleep, perfectly warm and content, back in my own bed. With him.
“Say it for me.”
“You’re heavy.”
“No.”
“You’re a manipulative bastard.”
“No.” He was laughing.
“You’re right.”
He gave one hard tug on my hair. “That’s not it either.”
“I love you?”
He sighed contentedly. “That’s the one.”
118 likes
“The number of people who believe a thing has no bearing upon its truth.” 38 likes