Start by marking “Promises (Coda Books, #1)” as Want to Read:
Promises (Coda Books, #1)

Promises

(Coda Books #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  10,632 ratings  ·  1,018 reviews
Jared Thomas has lived his whole life in the small mountain town of Coda, Colorado. He can't imagine living anywhere else. Unfortunately, the only other gay man in town is twice his age and used to be his teacher, so Jared is resigned to spending his life alone. Until Matt Richards walks into his life, that is. Matt has just been hired by the Coda Police Department, and he ...more
Published January 8th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published January 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Promises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promises

Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels
Favorite Gay Couples
2,992 books — 3,871 voters
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFish & Chips by Abigail RouxHot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels
The Best of Gay Romance
3,194 books — 3,303 voters

More lists with this book...

·  10,632 ratings  ·  1,018 reviews

Start your review of Promises (Coda Books, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Who stayed up until 3 am to finish this story last night??

----->ME<------

Who has regrets?

::crickets::

Not me, because this book rocked the F-ing house!!!!

Why haven't I read this book before now? WHY?! Why haven't I read Marie Sexton before now?! Why?! I think Mama just found a new crack because this book made me want to one-click the entire Promises series at 3:30 am.

The characters? Amazing. The chemistry? Amazing. The whole book? Amazing.

These are the types of contemporary romances that I love
Julio Genao
Jun 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, bantha-poodoo
loathed.

loathed it.

my copy is highlighted-to-shit-and-back with all the horrendous things this book is trying to say.

i'm livid.

book: j'deteste.

j'defuckingteste!

why?

i'll tell you.

because you, book, do not speak truth.

you take bits and bobs of shit you've seen on the internet and turn it into an embarrassing hash of pseudo-psychological justification for absolute dafuqery.

the ideas you promote, little booky-wook, are toxic and offensive.

because you demonstrate a profound disrespect for the nature
Cristina Monica
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: M/M contemporary romance lovers.
description

This was a quite beautiful and addictive story.

Jared is in his early thirties and living peacefully in Coda where he grew up and where his family has always been. Except, he’s lonely and the only person with whom he shares his bed is a rich and mostly unavailable man traveling from here to there on and on. I was so glad to see Cole in this book. I know I may have been cheating a little because I’ve actually read Strawberries for Dessert (fantastic story) before picking Promises up, but it felt g
Exina

The Story
Jared Thomas lives in the small town of Coda, Colorado. He is openly gay but very withdrawn. He has no friends, except his sister-in-law, Lizzy. He is resigned to live his life alone, but suffers from being so lonely.

Matt Richards just moved into town. He is adamant about being straight. He explains the fact that he has never been committed to any woman by preferring to be independent and autonomous. The truth is that he has never felt satisfied being with a woman. So he just g
Judith
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
*** SWEET,SEXY M/M STORY ***

OH,I REALLY enjoyed this...Story of Jared and Matt..

JARED

MATT

Jared has lived in a small town in Colorado all his life.He is openly Gay but lonely,and while the residents of the town know this he doesn't openly flaunt it and prefers to live in a Bubble,concentrating on work and his family.....

All that changes when Matt moves into town as a new Cop.They form a friendship and while Jared is honest about his sexuality..Matt is not,insisting that he's straight.Jare
♡Karlyn P♡
Wow, this one did NOT disappoint! I read very few m/m romances, but compared to the many m/f ones I’ve read, this was a WINNER.

Promises is told through Jared’s point of view as he meets and falls in love with Matt, a person he believes will never be more than just his great friend. We get a wonderful glimpse into the lives of two people who must come to terms with their own identities, desires and expectations before they can truly love and be happy. This story really grabbed me and I hated to
Abigail
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, listened-to
4.25 “I just want to touch you a little more.” stars.
Jensen Ackles
“I wish I could stop thinking about you. I wish I didn't miss you so much.”

Jared was born and raised in Coda, only leaving to go to college. His whole family lives in Coda, his mum, brother and his sister in law. He was always more attracted to guys than girls, and over time, he realised that he was gay. While at college he got a degree in teaching. But instead of becoming a teacher, he opted out and works at his family's automobile shop.
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

**11/12/18 - Well, unfortunately, this book doesn't hold up over time. I'd probably rate it maybe around 3 stars now. Though to be fair, it probably didn't help that the narrator...how shall I put this....sucked. His regular voice was so much better than whatever the hell he was trying to do with Jared. And his dialogue was a big pile of cheese. It was so bad.

I'm going to leave my original rating becuase I want to remember happier times.

**11/2/18 - Re-read via audiobook because it was on sale.
Jewel
I first read Promises about 6 years ago. It's one of the first M/M romance books I remember reading, and through Jared and Matt, I fell in love with a whole new genre. I haven't looked back.

Not long ago, I saw that a 2nd edition was being published with a prequel that takes us back to Jared's college days, so I happily bought the new edition.

Visiting with Jared & Matt again was like getting to visit 2 old friends. No matter how long you've been apart, you just fall into a rhythm.

The prequel, Me
Nick Pageant
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Hot cop meets shy, quiet guy. GFY ensues. Marie Sexton is one of the best.
* Meli Mel *

♥♥♥ 4 "I PROMISE" STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Finally, she took a deep breath and said, “Jared, let me say two things, and then I’ll never mention this ugly incident again.”

“Do I have a choice?”

“No, you don’t. The first is this: you can’t control what others think. The only thing you can control is yourself. Some people will look down on you for your choices in life, no matter what they are. You can’t do anything about that. The only thing you can do is
Jaela
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't change a single thing in this book. So heartwarming and so beautifully written. So romantic and very fast paced.

I'm finding myself reading more and more MM books. I still like FM books, but these have less BS. Females tend to be so melodramatic....

This book has been on my TR shelf since forever and I finally found the time to read it. I like how there isn't an insta lust situation ( well, there is, but only from one of the MCs and it wasn't annoying.) I like how the things develop bet
Mo
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I dip into M/M now and again. Hadn’t read anything by this author before but will definitely be checking out more of her story.

Two great guys, one is gay, the other is not, or so he thinks. Friendship, laughter, tears, family, parents, siblings, small-town living …. It has it all.

And Matt’s Dad… what a fucking asstwat he was

"Because your Dad’s an angry, belligerent, antagonistic asshole."

I often wonder how I would react if my own kids came home and told me they were Gay, I hope I would be accept
Ingie
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ingie by: Alice
3 ½ Stars - nice about important topics such as homophobia and to stand up for who you are - then it was two lovely men who fell in love, yummy and cute...

Another nice, romantic novel about two rather ordinary men from Ms Sexton. I like the mood in her books and her style. It's usually pretty close to a everyday life and I feel cozy and good reading about it. As another friend said - when the last page is read, I sit there with a smile and am happy. So it was even this time with this rather shor
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
description

Jared lived in Coda, Colorado all his live. He’s gay and his lonely; he doesn’t have a partner because there’s only one gay man in this small town, who’s thirty years older than him. Everybody in town knows he’s gay, most of them accepting him. He doesn’t trust people not to hurt him, that’s way he doesn’t use his degree in physics to teach. Instead, he works at his family store with his brother and his sister in law.

Matt is new in town. He was just hired by the Coda PD and he’s straight. Jared
Heidi Cullinan
Feb 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dsp-authors
Ohhhhh, this book. Do you want the short version? Here: go buy it. Go read it.

It's some sort of long-term blue moon, I guess, because here is another first person narrative that I really enjoyed. I loved the characters. I loved the emotions. I loved the SETTING. We took a vacation last year which included Colorado twice, and it was all I could do not to get in the car and rush back there the whole time I was reading.

I think my favorite aspect of this was how flawed both the protagonists were: t
Susan
Oct 23, 2012 rated it liked it

hanging on to that 3 stars by the skin of its teeth...

Promises is fine.
It's a decent-enough read.
Maybe a good M/M cherry-popper for those curious.

I'm not certain I was a big fan, however. It grew on me at times and totally turned me off at times. I feel almost like Sexton treats her readers w/ white gloves and is very careful not to offend. (BTW, would it kill her to use a conjunction? Her writing style is sometimes so choppy)

I liked Jared and the side characters (his family). I even liked Mat
Sara
This was so good. I loved the way it was told, the first lines setting up the story... The whole thing started because of Lizzy’s Jeep. If it hadn’t been for that, I might not have met Matt. And maybe he wouldn’t have felt the need to prove himself. And maybe nobody would have been hurt... and THEN telling the story. This was good. Have I said that? My first from the author and so very long over due. Ugh.

I loved Jared and Matt through all the mess and confusion. I loved them becoming friend
Monique
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
Great book.......It's a love story about two really lovely, although both lonely men, one openly gay and one who is really not sure about his sexuality........but he's 'Definitely not GAY'??!!

Jared, after gaining his degree in college returns to run the family store with his sister in-law in the small town of Coda. He has learned to live with being ostracized by some of the community for his sexuality.

Then one day in walks Matt, the new Police Officer in Coda.

What is refreshing about this book
Buggy
Opening Line: " The whole thing started because of Lizzy's Jeep."

This was a quick, easy and very enjoyable read that I had trouble putting down. I’m a bit of a sucker when it comes to the gay-for-you romances anyway but this one was just perfect.

PROMISES is a slow burning romance but that just made it all the better because we get tons of sexual tension and character development. Watching these guys go from friends to lovers over an extended period of time felt realistic. The love scenes also s
DarienMoya

Audio August 2019

The Narration: 3 Pants Off

Everyone sounded the same which made the story a little bland. Luckily, I’ve read it before and really like the characters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

^^PROMISING YOU A VERY GOOD READ!^^

4.5

I really enjoyed Promises, it was such a feel good story, and it’s a book for beginners to the M/M genre. It’s romantic and sweet without all the dick in ass, there is that but just not as crude as I just wrote it.

The book begins with Jared telling you how he meets h
Michael
Promises tells the story of two lonely people who have caused their own solitude. It’s not a totally stifling solitude; both the main characters are very active and socially healthy individual. It’s the type of loneliness that happens when people put up barriers in their own lives.

Both characters are in their own sort of closet. Matt is a classic closet case, placed there by pressures from family and society. He’s already been giving serious thought to where he is in his life and when he meets J
Catherine
*** 3.5 Stars ***

The first in a series loved by many M/M romance fans, Promises was a story - equal parts sweet and frustrating - about two men who built their romantic relationship on a foundation of friendship.

That aspect, I loved.

In fact, I appreciated that both characters seemed to honestly struggle with their decisions - Matt with coming to terms with who he was, and Jared with being out and proud when he was in a relationship with someone who mattered. And I know it sounds weird to say,
Lenore
Not half bad friends to lovers story. It felt a bit amateurish but the plot panned out all right and the main characters were fairly likable—most of the time at least. As for the secondary characters, Joseph, Matt's father, was overblown in my opinion and Dan, a caricature of a villain.

Other than that, Promises served its purpose as a fluffy, fairly uncomplicated romance. Entertaining.

I've decided to read these in order so, on to A to Z.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I reread this book today, and it was just as great as I remembered it being!
Two really likable MC's ,nice family ( well except for good old dad) and a quick peek at Cole! :)

Ok, I bought this one as an audiobook too, I still really like the story.
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Solid 4 stars....maybe even 4.5. There really wasn't anything I didn't like about this story. It was short, sweet and sexy!

Jared is one of two gay men living in Coda, Colorado. He's resigned himself to the fact that the odds of meeting someone are slim to none. He runs the auto parts/hardware store with his brother and sister-in-law.

When Matt walks in inquiring about a Jeep for sale, Jared sees a small glimmer of hope. But Matt isn't gay....nope, no way, no how, not happening.

Matt was buried d
GK
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jared and Matt's story was JUST what I needed to read.
It had me feeling giddy, Image and video hosting by TinyPic
and ready to throw my Kindle within just a mere chapter. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I felt this book was super realistic (can it be my life, pleasssse?)

Around 53% I saw potential for the plot to hit a iceberg and tragically sink, I was ready to abandon ship. I am glad I didn't, because this turned into one of the BEST M/M romance HEA's I have read in a while.
Certainly the most memorable.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I really just dislike posting reviews that
Awilk -never sleeps-
This was a beautiful moving story of two men who were so very lonely, but still trying to live their lives.

Jared was an openly gay man who lived in a small town who had made his peace with the fact that he was likely to stay alone.

Matt was a newcomer to town. He had just moved to start a job with the local police. He was also Jared's ideal man.

They started out as friends and it slowly turned to something much more, which was difficlt for Matt as he saw himself as straight.

The relationship had a
BWT (Belen)
Jared Thomas is lonely. Fear has him working at his family's store instead of as a Physics teacher, and since the only other out man in town is his former high school teacher, the pickings are slim. He has a friends-with-benefits thing going with a friend from his college days that's super occasional, but longs for something more.

Things change when hot as hell police officer, Matt Richards, moves to Coda. Matt and Jared have a great meet cute, get to know one another better, and begin to spend a
Jen
2017 Reading Chal...: Highly Recommended & FREE until tomorrow... 2 49 Jun 19, 2016 05:24AM
promises 8 132 Sep 14, 2014 05:57PM

• Faith & Fidelity (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #1)
  • Hot Head (Head #1)
  • Caught Running
  • Zero at the Bone (Zero at the Bone #1)
  • The Locker Room
  • All Kinds of Tied Down (Marshals, #1)
  • Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1)
  • Bear, Otter, and the Kid (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #1)
  • The Backup Boyfriend (The Boyfriend Chronicles, #1)
  • Collide (Blackcreek, #1)
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run, #2)
  • Divide & Conquer (Cut & Run, #4)
  • The Tin Star (Ranch Series, #1)
  • Fish & Chips (Cut & Run, #3)
  • Timing (Timing, #1)
  • Shattered Glass (Shattered Glass, #1)
  • Crossroads (Crossroads, #1)
Marie Sexton lives in Colorado. She’s a fan of just about anything that involves muscular young men piling on top of each other. In particular, she loves the Denver Broncos and enjoys going to the games with her husband. Her imaginary friends often tag along. Marie has one daughter, two cats, and one dog, all of whom seem bent on destroying what remains of her sanity. She loves them anyway.

Coda: W

Coda Books (7 books)
  • A to Z (Coda Books, #2)
  • The Letter Z (Coda Books, #3)
  • Strawberries for Dessert (Coda Books, #4; Strawberries for Dessert, #1)
  • Paris A to Z (Coda Books, #5)
  • Fear, Hope, and Bread Pudding (Coda Books, #6; Strawberries for Dessert, #2)
  • Shotgun (Coda #7)

Articles featuring this book

Get in the mood with our list of the top 100 romances of all time. We narrowed the field by limiting our results to books aimed at a...
“Jared?” His fingers were playing gently in my curls.
“Yes?” I was more than halfway asleep, perfectly warm and content, back in my own bed. With him.
“Say it for me.”
“You’re heavy.”
“No.”
“You’re a manipulative bastard.”
“No.” He was laughing.
“You’re right.”
He gave one hard tug on my hair. “That’s not it either.”
“I love you?”
He sighed contentedly. “That’s the one.”
114 likes
“The number of people who believe a thing has no bearing upon its truth.” 39 likes