Start by marking “The Black Lung Captain (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Black Lung Captain (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #2)

The Black Lung Captain

(Tales of the Ketty Jay #2)

Darian Frey is down on his luck. He can barely keep his squabbling crew fed and his rickety aircraft in the sky. Even the simplest robberies seem to go wrong. It's getting so a man can't make a dishonest living any more.

Enter Captain Grist. He's heard about a crashed aircraft laden with the treasures of a lost civilisation, and he needs Frey's help to get it. There's only
Published July 29th 2010 by Gollancz (first published July 1st 2010)

Petrik
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Steampunk fantasy fans
Shelves: owned-ebooks
This was more or less on the same quality of fun and entertainment of Retribution Falls; except that it was imbued with great characterizations right from the start.

The Black Lung Captain is the second book in the Tales of the Ketty Jay quartet by Chris Wooding. A year since the events of the last book has passed and the plot began with Frey being offered a mission that will make him extremely wealthy and as usual, the mission immediately went completely wrong. Sounds familiar? Yup, I practicall
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This series is fun so far!
Evgeny
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Malcolm Reynolds Darian Frey is the captain of a spaceship Firefly flying ship Ketty Jay. Sorry about the confusion, but these are very similar and thus are easy to get mixed up. Anyway, Captain Frey seemingly had never heard the famous expression "if it sounds too good to be true, it most probably is". He fell for yet another get-rich-quick offer and as a result he and his crew have to dodge bullets flying at them from literally every direction practically non-stop through the whole book.

Let m
Nataliya
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
The Black Lung Captain continues the story of a rogue and irresistible to women airship pilot/small-time smuggler, setting out with his crew on the adventures full of fun and debauchery... Sounds familiar?

...and this time, they are chasing a mysterious and powerful artifact that is about to fall in the wrong hands. Again, sounds familiar?

(Do you know how much I love Harrison Ford? Let me give you a hint. My card is a Ford. It has a name. My Ford is named Harrison. Yeah.)

Black Lung Captain, the
Jokoloyo
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
So far, this is the best rag-tag-team steampunk series that I read lately.

After read the second book of Ketty Jay, I perceive the 4 book series as a closely linked series. On this second book, character development is the focus (view spoiler) The plot of this book is not as tight as the first book.

The storytelling is very similar with the first book. Pe
Scott  Hitchcock
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book one: 3.75*
Book two: 4.25*

They'll both get 4*'s due to the lack of granularity available but book two was far superior for me in every aspect to book one. The story was better. There was more action, more surprises, better insight into the world and the characters.

I think the thing I liked best was although still a fun swashbuckling tale we such so much more depth into every character. You felt their pain. The writer took a much deeper dive into their persona and the empathy bleed through f
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 3.99999999 stars. Get it? Good.

Introducing….Captain Darian Frey 2.0! Now with more humour! More kick-ass action! More adventure and fun and stuff! More blood and gore! More awesome villains! More cool aerial (or not) fights! More pretty much everything!

{insert sigh of relief here}

That was a close one. I mean, I almost didn't read this instalment. Book #1 was alright, but not the oh-wow-this-is-so-entertaining-and-boom-Captain-Frey-you're-mine-let-me-kidnap-you-and-lock-you-up-in-
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Dave's Quick Judgement -

THE DEFENSE
- The villains are really good at being bad.
- The heroes are also really good at being bad!
- Many subplots introduced in the first novel are moved forward in exciting ways.
- Loads of laugh-out-loud moments despite the story being darker this time around.
- Wooding's world-building abilities have improved.

THE PROSECUTION
- The absense of crucial team members at times interrupts the flow of the story (which is sorta the point Wooding is trying to make ab
Andy
Bang, straight back into the reading groove after a coupla iffy books in my world of reading with this entertaining tale. Loved the first in the series mainly due to its characters & interaction between the crew who are in reality a bunch of misfits who somehow against all the odds gel as a crew. Not much backstory was part of the first book & you were cast straight into the plot...... this episode gives more about each of the crew in turn whilst the plot (treasure hunt) unfolds & ge ...more
carol.
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun swashbuckling adventure. Should probably be read while drinking a glass of Captain's and Coke for fully immersive enjoyment. The characters grew on me as they went through more tribulations and started to transform with experience, even Frey. One I need to add to my own library, because it deserves a second read.
Tammie
Deep in the heart of the Kurg rainforest lies a long-forgotten wreck. On board, behind a magically protected door, an elusive treasure awaits. Good thing Darian Frey, captain of the airship Ketty Jay, has the daemonist Crake on board. Crake is their best chance of getting that door open—if they can sober him up.

In this installment of Tales of the Ketty Jay, Darian Frey is back to his old tricks. He's robbing an orphanage in the beginning of this book, and that didn't endear him to me much. By
Mpauli
I read the first book about the crew of the air ship Ketty Jay last year and "Retribution Falls" was a 5 star read for me.
As this book takes all the ingredients the first one had it won't be surprising that I enjoyed the second installment as much as the first one.

For those of you who haven't heard of the series before, imagine the legendary tv show Firely in a Steampunk corsett.
There is a unique secondary world -so no pseudo-victorian scenario- which offers a lot of sense of wonder.

But by far t
Paul
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful character driven fantasy that borders on scifi. This book and series is all about the crew , how they deal with their background, each other and the world in general.
Too nice to be pirates, too dirty to be legit the Kitty Jay and its crew fall into an unprofitable grey area so jump at a chance to make a fortune.While the first book was about the crew coming together this book almost sees it all crumble apart, and it becomes about each member accepting who they are and coming to terms
Kaitlin
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderfully adventurous and fun-filled story from this second book. I have to say that after loving the first one in this series I wasn't too worried about going into the next one and I just felt that Chris Wooding gets my kind of humour and makes me really entertained the whole way through.

This story once again follows the crew members of the Ketty Jay, a 'sort-of' pirate airship with a 'sort-of' awesome crew. The character are what really make these books thrilling and enticing for me.
Richard
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
8/10

Just what the doctor ordered, a nice big healthy dose of fun! After reading around 1000 pages of “A Clash of Kings” doom and gloom (don’t get me wrong, it’s a great read) this was exactly the thing to cleanse my palette and it’s good to see that the first novel in the series wasn’t a fluke. If anything, this novel is better overall than the stellar “Retribution Falls”.

I remember when reviewing the first novel I mentioned that you didn’t get information of all the crew. This is well and trul
Rob
Executive Summary: After a bit of a slow start, I think I enjoyed this one slightly more than the first. Looking forward to get to book 3 soon.

Full Review
I originally came onto this series after a recommendation in a thread about books similar to Firefly. Two books in, I'm hard to agree with that. Sure you have a crew flying around ship, but that's about where the similarities end for me.

For one thing, the characters are far less likable in this series than on Firefly. I recall coming to like
Lee
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steam-punk
I am moving the star rating up to 5 for this one, basically because I am really really enjoying the story. There are some corny moments and there are some pretty convenient super power abilities, but you know what.... it's just a fun read. It's a real adventure story, with what appears to be a pretty solid forward thinking storyline.

I was expecting more of the same with book 2, but Wooding certainly appears to have been laying the ground work for this series, there are you standard smallish sid
The Shayne-Train
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Man o man o man o MAN! This series is amazingly, fantastically excellent!

It's not often that the 2nd book in a series totally surpasses the first in terms of awesomeness, world-building, character feely-feelz, attention-grabbing excitement, butt-kickin', and witty-ass banter. This one does. And it does it with aplomb.

Daring rescues, gas-powered flying behemoths, giant possessed metal golems, rattling machine guns, magic swords lopping off pieces, space-faring telepathic pseudo-zombies, stealing
Mimi
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes rollicking adventure tales
Still a lot of fun and action-packed, just like the first book. This series is quickly becoming one of my favorites, if not my all-time favorite.

Review moved to http://covers2covers.wordpress.com/20...
Silvana
This book made me so happy. And sad. And scared. And at the end, elated. As kids nowadays say, oh the feels! I have always loved the stories about a rag-tag team in a ship fighting their way against all odds. This series is definitely one of them. The comradeship felt real. Everyone was connected in a unique way to each other. A testament to an excellent work with characterizations. We are given more insights into the characters, their inner voices - while can be overlengthy at times, but not to ...more
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Black Lung Captain is the confirmation that Retribution Falls was no one-hit-wonder. The ragtag band of outsiders and misfits embark here on new adventures that will bring upon them uncounted perils rather than the fame and fortune they were aiming at.

The McGuffin in this caper is a myterious artefact / doom device found and lost again in an abandoned dreadnought. Captain Darian Frey has his work cut out as he struggles to recover the artefact, keep his crew from coming apart under pressure, and
Veronica
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
It's been a year since Captain Darian Frey and the crew of the Ketty Jay barely escaped with their lives following their ill advised adventures in the first book. They've run through the money that adventure bestowed upon them so they're back at square one...broke, broke, and more broke. Times are so hard they've even resorted to trying to steal from orphans. White hatted heroes they ain't.

When the captain of another ship approaches Frey with plans to seek out some rumored treasure on a crashed
Jason
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2010, e-books
Wow, for a second novel in a series with many to come, Black Lung Captain did not suffer the normal sophomore blues. Once again, we are taken on a non-stop rollicking space cowboy, steampunk adventure. The whole cast from Retribution Falls is back in another Tale of the Ketty Jay. I felt like I was reading about The Serenity from Firefly, one of my favorite movies and quickly cancelled TV series.

In this novel we get more back story on the captain and his crew, and all the richer it makes this s
Nathan
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
From my blog.

Damn it Mr Wooding, you almost put me in tears again! And with a Golem! How can a writer get so much beauty from a giant metal shell?

Ahem. Anyway, Black Lung Captain picks up after Retribution Falls, following ragtag crew of the Kitty Jay. It is most assuredly a book from a series, you must read RF first(and if you haven't, get on it). The book could be classified as steampunk, though it is not focused on the tech at all, and unlike most steampunk lives on its own world.

It reads li
Ctgt
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great adventure from our favorite crew of misfits. Some more background on Jez, the Manes and Crake and Bess. Oh and maybe a whiff of romance.

8/10
Trike
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As much as I enjoyed the first book, this one was even better. Sequels don’t often live up to the initial foray, but there’s no sophomore slump here.

We get a deep dive into the characters as we go along the rollicking adventure plot, and none of it feels forced or padded. Every piece needs to be here. That feels so rare these days.

The mystery of Bess the golem is explored, Captain Darian Frey is less of a dick this time around, Jez the half-Mane navigator confronts the (literal) demon inside her
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
More thrilling twists and turns and character conundrums for the reader to keep up with. Very enjoyable. I didn't always like what happened, but I definitely was hooked and wanted to keep reading. All in all, a successful follow up to Retribution Falls. I recommend it.

Reviewed for Bitten by Books. http://bittenbybooks.com.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
If you loved Retribution Falls, you would love this book too. Chris Wooding can write a great treasure-hunt adventure.

There are so many twists and turns in this story, that it is safe to say you will not catch a break even when you come really close to the end of the book. Make no mistake, this is not only a treasure hunt story. It gets so much depth through its characters and their suffering and growth, and the world with its political and religious intrigues and conspiracies.
While Retribution
J.M.
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Frey and his renegade crew of misfits did such amazing things in RETRIBUTION FALLS, I was wondering just how Wooding was going to top it. Well, he did, and then some, I might add! THE BLACK LUNG CAPTAIN is every bit as good as the first one. Now, I'm a but bummed the third "Ketty Jay" title, THE IRON JACKAL, isn't readily available here in the States just yet (the UK release was last October), because I wanted to sashay right into it (can one sashay while reading?). Unfortunately, that just ain' ...more
Traci
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
It took awhile for me to get into this one. It's been awhile since I read Retribution Falls and I was a little confused on who was who and what had happened in the first book. The reminders did come eventually but I do wish they had come a bit sooner.
The plot to this one never really grabbed me. The villain was blah. The Mane were interesting. But mostly this was more of a character driven story. And for the most part I love the characters. Although Crake and Jez are my clear favorites. And thei
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Dragons & Jetpacks: Black Lung Captain - Overall Discussion *Spoilers* 14 21 Mar 26, 2019 04:33PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Black Lung Captin [August 2017] 56 54 Aug 10, 2017 01:14PM

• The Osiris Ritual (Newbury and Hobbes, #2)
  • The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man (Burton & Swinburne, #2)
  • Escapement (Clockwork Earth #2)
  • Tin Swift (Age of Steam, #2)
  • The Horns of Ruin
  • Hearts of Smoke and Steam (The Society of Steam, #2)
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • Secrets of the Fire Sea (Jackelian, #4)
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • The Dark Deeps (The Hunchback Assignments, #2)
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • The Adventures of Langdon St. Ives
  • Whitechapel Gods
  • Scourge: A Grim Doyle Adventure (Grim Doyle Adventures, #1)
Chris Wooding grew up in a small town in Leicestershire, where not much of anything happened. So he started to write novels. He was sixteen when he completed his first. He had an agent by eighteen. By nineteen he had signed his first book deal. When he left university he began to write full-time, and he has been doing it professionally all his adult life.

Now thirty-nine, Chris has written over twe

Tales of the Ketty Jay (4 books)
  • Retribution Falls (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #1)
  • The Iron Jackal (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #3)
  • The Ace of Skulls (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #4)
“Well, wherever you go, whatever you do, you're still you. You can change your surroundings, start a new life, but you'll always fall into the same old patterns, make the same kind of friends, commit the same mistakes. The thing you need to change is yourself.” 24 likes
“Not for the first time, he wished he commanded a highly trained bunch of soldiers instead of a ragtag mob of rejects in varying stages of alcoholism.” 21 likes