Start by marking “Doctor Faustus” as Want to Read:
Doctor Faustus

Doctor Faustus

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  49,033 ratings  ·  1,335 reviews
The classic Elizabethan play, with new material

From the Elizabethan period's second-biggest dramatist comes the story of Faustus, a brilliant scholar who sells his soul to the devil in exchange for limitless knowledge and powerful black magic.
Published April 6th 2010 by Signet Book (first published 1592)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Faustus, please sign up.
Daniel Swanger Mephistopheles in most versions according to Christopher Marlowe and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Daniel (Assuming you mean when Faustus' blood congeals.)

(Assuming you mean when Faustus' blood congeals.)

His blood clotting is supposed to be an example of nature - or god - trying to stop Faustus from selling his soul. It may also indicate that God does little whilst temptation (that being Mephistopheles) will out do Gods efforts. (less)

Bill  Kerwin
May 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The history of Dr. Faustus, its composition and its performances, is obscured by legend and shrouded in surmise. We know it was wildly popular, but not when it was written or first performed: perhaps as early as 1588, when Marlowe was twenty-four, or perhaps as late in 1593, the year Marlowe died. At any rate, it so captured the public imagination that people told stories about it. The most vivid of the legends tells us that real devils were once conjured during a performance, that actors were c
Manny
Dec 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Selling Your Soul: A Short PowerPoint Presentation

Good morning. I recall reading an article about Tony Blair

Tony Blair

where the columnist said that one of the surprising things about selling your soul is that the price usually turns out to be so low. There is, indeed, a tendency to think that it's a question of getting an advantageous deal. Here, Faust has landed himself a terrific package, even better than the one Keanu Reaves gets in The Devil's Advocate.

The Devil's Advocate

The top item is Sex With Helen Of Troy. Let me q
Bookdragon Sean
Doctor Faustus is a tragic figure. He is a confused man bursting with ambition and a thirst for knowledge, but at the same time conflicted in his morals. Faustus is also a genius; he has studied Aristotle’s teachings but finds them beneath him and craves something more suited to his superior intellect. He decides to study the dark art of Necromancy. Through this he summons the devil and he quickly sells his soul for more power; thus, this could only end one way.

A Tragic fall from grace

“His waxe
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Tragical History of the Life and Death of Doctor Faustus, Christopher Marlowe
The Tragical History of the Life and Death of Doctor Faustus, commonly referred to simply as Doctor Faustus, is an Elizabethan tragedy by Christopher Marlowe, based on German stories about the title character Faust, that was first performed sometime between 1588 and Marlowe's death in 1593. Two different versions of the play were published in the Jacobean era, several years later.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز هفدهم ماه ژا

- هشهيصك. هلففك العالم و أزبطك يا مان و أخلي كل رغباتك في السلانكتيه
- اشطه يا مان يبقى معادنا يوم الخميس في عيد ميلاد ابليس

طبعا كان نفسي ابقى عميق بس مش قادر
المسرحية مباشرة جدا و واضحه وضوح الشمس كأنها للأطفال أو في إطار الموعظة الدينية
عن العالم الذي باع نفسه للشيطان مقابل تحقيق أهوائه و شهواته و لكنه عاش في عذاب ضميره حتى الممات

أدرك تماما أن المسرحية تمت كتابتها منذ عدة قر
Kalliope
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I keep thinking of Christopher Marlowe (1564-1593) as if he had been his own Faustus, but he must have been tricked because he did not get his twenty-four years of devilish powers. Just a few, very few in fact.

He was a writer of sharp wits who could flex his Disputatio abilities better than a dagger, and had an impeccable formal education of a solidity that even his more famous contemporary would have wished for himself.

So soon he profits in divinity,
The fruitful plot of scholarism graced,
That
Manuel Antão
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, favorites
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

I Do Repent, and Yet I Do Despair: "Doctor Faustus" by Christopher Marlowe, Simon Trussler

For me, the key to Faustus is his interaction in Act V, Scene I with the "old man". The old man gives us Marlowe's theology:

“Yet, yet, thou hast an amiable soul,”

—even after Faustus has made his deal with the devil and used the power he got for the previous 23 'years' and 364 'days', Faustus's soul is lovable. Just repent! Faustus replies:

“Wher
Roy Lotz
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
How to Become a Successful Elizabethan Playwright in 7 Easy Steps

1. Consider visiting Elizabethan England. When you're there, take careful notes. The first thing you'll notice is that most people talk in blank verse. Spend enough time there, and you might start speaking like that too!

2. Set a routine! Successful writers abide by a careful schedule, allowing them to keep their work on track. Most Elizabethan playwrights prefer to write in the morning, setting aside the evening for brothels, bar
Nikos Tsentemeidis
Ο Δόκτωρ Φάουστους αναφέρεται στον πασίγνωστο μύθο, γνωστότερο από τον Φάουστ του Γκαίτε (220 χρόνια μετά).

Ο Marlowe γεννήθηκε το 1564 στην Αγγλία, την ίδια χρονιά με τον Σαίξπηρ και 6 χρόνια από έναν ακόμα θεατρικό, τον Thomas Kyd, δείγμα της σπουδαίας θεατρικής παράδοσης των Άγγλων. Σημαντικός λοιπόν, σε καμία περίπτωση όμως δεν φτάνει τον μέγιστο Σαίξπηρ.
Andrew Breslin
I don't know about you, but my idea of a good time is to sneak into a gathering of Elizabethan literary scholars and just provoke the living shit out of them. I like to get them feuding about whether Shakespeare was a genius of surpassing magnitude, standing well above Marlowe and the rest in raw poetic brilliance, or simply the only one among the group who attended a marketing class. It's fun to re-open the perpetual debate on Edward de Vere's alleged authorship of the Bard's plays, then sit ba ...more
Aubrey
This work came at an odd time for me. The English class I read it for gave a quiz on it today, while my other English class went over Wordsworth's 'Tintern Abbey' in great detail, a poem that is heavily concerned with coming back to a familiar setting after five years gone and rhapsodizing upon the findings. The first time I read this work, it was fall quarter of Junior year of my UCLA Bioengineering degree and I was keeping my head afloat the equational sea with classical literature in my spare ...more
Foad
سوژه ى داستان بسيار عالى و جذابه:
دكتر فاستوس، دانشمندى دينى، كه همه ى علوم زمانه ى خود را به كمال آموخته و در راه تحصيل و تدريس پير شده است، شبى پى مى برد كه تمام تلاش يك عمرش بيهوده بوده و هيچ طرفى از تحصيل اين علوم بر نبسته است.
در نتيجه، طى معامله اى با شيطان، حاضر مى شود كه روح خود را بدو بفروشد و در مقابل، بيست سال در آسايش و تنعم تمام و با قدرت و دانشى بى نهايت زندگى كند. قرار داد را با خون خويش نوشته، امضا مى كند و بدين ترتيب، برده ى حلقه به گوش شيطان مى گردد.
پتانسيل سرشارى داره اين سوژه و
Calista
This is the famous story of Faustus making a deal with the devil and losing his eternal soul. The commentary talks about this as the transition work from Middle ages to the Renaissance from contemplating God to the age of reason.

I have to say, I enjoy Shakespeare more than Marlowe, yet maybe I'm not used to his style is the issue. The story is simple and it has become a standard that is still used today. Everyone knows this story even if they have never read or seen this play.

This is great to r
David Sarkies
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Tragedy
Recommended to David by: Originally my English Teacher (though not this play specifically)
Shelves: tragedy
To Dance with the Devil
24 January 2014

Well it looks like my commentary is going to disappear among the hundred or so other commentaries that have appeared on Goodreads in relation to this magnificent play. Okay, poor old Marlowe has unfortunately not just been overshadowed by Shakespeare within the theatre circuit of Elizabethan England (that is if he wasn't Shakespeare in the first place – gee that's just opened up a huge can of worms) …

Anyway, as I was saying, it wasn't enough that as a play
Pink
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much more enjoyable than I expected. A breeze to read, that worked well on paper and gave me plenty of laughs. What more could I want?
Forrest
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I tease my daughter incessantly about the true identity of Shakespeare, I have to admit that while a lot of evidence points towards Christopher Marlowe and Shakespeare being the same person, I can't, in all honesty, hold up the play The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus as a Shakespeare-worthy text. Yes, the magical element present in so much of Shakespeare's work is here, yes, there is a good dose of humor, and, yes, the writing itself is, well, Shakespearean. But Doctor Faustus' humor i ...more
Andrei Tamaş
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tragica poveste a Doctorului Faustus are în centru setea de cunoaştere, dorinţa de a trece peste anumite etape ale cunoaşterii pentru a atinge cunoaşterea absolută, ceea ce atrage după sine falsificarea eticii de baza a omului. Setea de cunoaştere a stăpânit întotdeauna spiritele iniţiate, ştiinţa fiind ca un drog, iar sevrajul -ca în opera- atrage după sine "soluţia finală": pactul cu ideaticele forţe ale răului.
Redată într-un univers alegoric, opera nu fixează o acţiune anume, ci, la nivel id
Teresa Proença
Nesta peça de teatro, o sábio Fausto enfastiado de estudos teológicos e científicos medievais, sonha alcançar a Magia que lhe dê riqueza, e consequente poder. Contrata os serviços de Mefistófeles, e do seu satânico séquito, para o guiarem pelo mundo ao encontro do Conhecimento total. Após vinte e quatro anos de muitas diabruras, o contrato chegou ao seu termo e Fausto pagou os honorários devidos. Ardeu...

"Fausto partiu: atentai na sua queda,
No seu infernal fado. Que ele exorte os prudentes
À mer
Fernando
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Ea, ¿Por qué lloras? Es ya demasiado tarde. Desespérate pues. Adiós. Los locos que ríen en la Tierra, deben llorar en el Infierno."

Siempre tuvo una atracción fuerte en mí la historia de Fausto en sus distintas formas. Como es de esperar con este personaje, usualmente se comienza con el más famoso libro de Goethe hasta ir conociendo otras versiones de esta trágica historia. Si bien me falta leer el Doktor Faustus de Thomas Mann, no creo que el argumento cambie mucho entre todas estas obras si
Liam
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As dark and twisted as this was, it was actually really great!!

The start was a little slow but when it gets going I really started to enjoy it. The story is very weird and messed up but it made it that bit more entertaining!
Bruce
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marlowe has written this excellent play in skillful blank verse. Faustus’s learning and ambition are boundless, rooted in a dissatisfaction with human achievement and ultimately based on the realization that death ends all, making any achievement seem finally futile. Many Latin quotations are included in the play, all translated in the text or the end notes, each reinforcing Faustus’s learning. He turns finally to the occult, to necromancy, in order to move beyond mere human power. Is this one o ...more
Joudy
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not marching in the fields of Thrasimene,
Where Mars did mate the warlike Carthagens,
Nor sporting in the dalliance of love
In courts of kings, where state is overturned,
Nor in the pomp of proud audacious deeds,
Intend our Muse to vaunt his heavenly verse

A tragedy written by Christopher Marlowe during the age of the Elizabethan Era in England, coinciding heavily with the many other historical events, both past and during his time
Wrath, Sloth, Lust, Pride , Avarice, gluttony and envy are vital
Kaethe
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus From the Quarto of 1604 - Christopher Marlowe I was bored. There wasn't any good reason for the devils to be doing anything for Faustus, and this business of signing up souls? What the hell is that? Assuming the soul is a real, discrete, item that can be separated from a body, why would you want one? And if serving the whims of humans gets you out of hell for a while, why wouldn't you devote yourself to your human with slavish devotion? Also what does Helen ...more
Fateme
مفیس تافلیس :جهنم در بطن عناصر طبیعت است و در آنجا تا ابد دچار شکنجه و عذاب هستیم. دوزخ حدود ندارد و در یک نقطه معین نیست، هر جا ما هستیم دوزخ هم همانجاست و هرجا دوزخ باشد جای ما تا دنیا دنیاست در آن است. خلاصه تا روزیکه گیتی معدوم شود و هر آفریده ای از گناه پاک گردد هرجا بهشت نباشد آنجا دوزخ است.
فاستوس :گمان میکنم دوزخ افسانه ای بیش نباشد.
مفیس تافلیس:چه مانعی دارد چنین تصور کن تا تجربه عقیده ات را تغییر بدهد.

سرزمین علم و دانایی باید جای پهناوری باشه پر از پیچ و خم و دره، پر از پستی و بلندی! گ
Emad (TheBookCritic)
description
“Hell is just a frame of mind”

When you finish reading Doctor Faustus, you become extremely confused and you keep asking yourself a crucial philosophical question: Are we born good or evil? And that leads you to another question: What is the purpose of existence? Then, you find yourself obligated to answer an overwhelming question: Do we understand God correctly?

description

When we go back in time to Adam and Eve, we know that their first sin, which resulted in their banishment from Heaven, was the hunger
Laila
Doktor Faustus'u benim için bu kadar önemli kılan şey Goethe'nin eserine esin kaynağı olmuş olmasıydı. Uzun zamandır okumak istiyordum... İngiliz Edebiyatı klasigi olmasının yanında cehennem ve şeytan göndermeleri de çok ilgi çekiciydi diye başlamış olayım.

Başka yayın evlerinden okuma şansım olduğu halde Sıla Kültür'ün sınırlı sayıda bastığı eseri tercih ettim. Çevirmeni sevgili İsmail Cengar'la da tanışınca doğru kararı verdiğimi anladım. İnsanın bir kitabın çeviri sürecine, bu süreçte yaşanan
Thomas
A short, entertaining play about a German doctor who sells his soul to the devil. It contains elements of humor and causes one to reflect on the nature of power, sin, and forgiveness. The atypical nature of certain aspects of the story - like the jocular nature of the Seven Deadly Sins and the utilization of Satanic powers to play pranks - made this work stand out and fun to discuss. Recommended for those who have any interest in plays, horror, fantasy, heaven and hell, and Marlowe.
Mahdie
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
بیش از هر چیزی مثل موعظه های مذهبی بود
Hasret Okyanus Sarı
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, play
Burn all the books
Eryn (Literary Lady)
Read for class ... I didn't enjoy it at all.
All About Books: Group Play - Dr. Faustus (Spring 2017) 18 32 May 24, 2017 02:27AM
Readers Zone: The Legend of Faust 14 26 Jan 11, 2015 07:11AM
  • Samson Agonistes
  • The Maid's Tragedy
  • Ghosts
  • Saint Joan
Christopher "Kit" Marlowe (baptised 26 February 1564) was an English dramatist, poet and translator of the Elizabethan era. The foremost Elizabethan tragedian next to William Shakespeare, he is known for his magnificent blank verse, his overreaching protagonists, and his own mysterious and untimely death.

The author's Wikipedia page.
“Hell is just a frame of mind.” 277 likes