Start by marking “It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend: Helping the Child with Learning Disabilities Find Social Success” as Want to Read:

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews

ADHD • Anxiety • Nonverbal • Communication • Disorders • Visual/Spatial • Disorders • Executive Functioning Difficulties

As any parent, teacher, coach, or caregiver of a learning disabled child knows, every learning disability has a social component. The ADD child constantly interrupts and doesn't follow directions. The child with visual-spatial issues loses his belongi

Published October 3rd 2006 by Touchstone (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend

Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great read! Highly recommended for anyone working with children with learning disabilities. Even if you're only a babysitter of a child with a learning disability, this can be a great resource.
I really liked his concept of the "social skill autopsy" is interesting and makes so much sense! It's all about helping the child figure out where he or she went wrong in a situation and how to prevent it from happening again. I also liked how the author reinforced the importance I making "withdraws" and
Tara
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is worth the read if you are looking to help your child or student develop and maintain friendships or to learn to function appropriately in school and in the community. I thought the second half of the book was more relevant to my interests, but there were great insights all along the way that I feel would be relevant to all parents and educators. I truly wish that regular ed. classroom teachers would read books like this.
Erin
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a relatively useful book. I bought it because I was looking for some concrete advice and professional insight into behavior issues specifically related to children with autism or aspergers. Unfortunately, there is really only one chapter devoted to this topic. However, that one chapter is very good! From a professional perspective, as an educator, the entire book is informative and I would highly recommend it to teachers and parents. If you are specifically looking for a book about helpi ...more
Marcia Mickelson
May 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was very helpful in describing the social difficulties of children with learning disabilities. My son has Asperger's Syndrome, and I found that there are a lot of similarities with children who have LD. They face many of the same social challenges. While this book served to explain those difficulties very well, it didn't offer solutions in a way I would have hoped. I guess there is no cure-all book available, but this book is greatly informative and can help parents see the social diff ...more
Alicia Green
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a MUST read for anyone who is dealing with children with special needs. So often we ( adults) forget about the importance of social interaction and development for children with learning difference. This book helps teach and guide adults through this emotional challenge for children and adults alike!
Ariadna73
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
This book has a lot of good advise for children in order to succeed in social life at school and their petit worlds. I would have found it of so much help should I read it a few years ago. However; I still found it useful today; because I can still give advise to kids around me; and this book is a profuse source of good advise.
Jill
Aug 03, 2011 added it
I saw this guy in person at a conference. He is terrific. The book is too. Very practical, down to earth, good suggestions told through stories, so it's not boring. He is famous for his video "F.A. T. (Frustrated Angry Tense) City" which lets the viewer actually experience what it feels like to have a leraning disability in a classroom.
Diana
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in education or human services
An exceptional, practical, and well-written book on children with special needs. Lavoie knows his subject and liberally sprinkles in his real-life experiences working with hundreds of students. This book actually made me laugh, and I learned a lot! A must-read for anyone in special education and highly recommended for anyone in education or human services in general.
Maria
Feb 12, 2010 is currently reading it
This is a fantastic resource for those of us with children with learning disabilities. I have a daughter is Aspergers. The strategies for helping them in social situations are very good. We're trying some currently.
Liz
May 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A great read for parents and teachers of students with learning disabilities. It explains in very practical terms how various cognitive processing difficulties can affect how one views and interprets social situations.
Rebekah
May 20, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
So far this book is gripping. His idea of a "social autopsy" seems like a perfect common sense way of analyzing social errors without finding fault with your kid. I just previewed the chapters and it seems like each one is applicable with information I am dying to know. . .
Gary
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lavoie points out that the same disabilities that have an adverse effect on a child's learning also have an adverse effect on their social lives. He highlights problems and gives tips and strategies to help children as they grow. I highly recommend this book.
Jan
Mar 26, 2009 added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Started this a few times, and never got far through. I no longer think Andrew needs this help. So I don't think I'll continue.
Jacqueline
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
GEEK. However, so far this book is SPOT ON!
OBVIOUSLY, NOT a book club book but this was so practical and I think all teachers should read this.
Kathleen L. Maher
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I just purchased this, and it is already proving invaluable with strategies for my son with special needs and social challenges. Lots of insight packed into an approachable, easy-to-read format.
Royanne Mason
Great read to help & understand your Grandchild if he/she is ADHD or ADD
Leslie
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teachers
Great book for anyone who teaches or works with kids with a learning disability.
John
Aug 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Just started reading. It looks like an amazingly well researched and thought out book. More on it later.
Marie Pilgrim
Aug 03, 2008 is currently reading it
I just started this one. I like to read something for work during the summer months and so far this one seems pretty good.
Shannon Causey
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adults
Very insightful. A good read that has helped me relate better to the kids I work with. The "social autopsy" is a strange name, but a useful tool.
Angela
Identifying social deficiencies and strategies to help the child work toward behaviors that result in greater inclusion.
Tracy
Aug 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational
Useful tips for parents and educators on how to support develop social skills for children with learning differences.
Nell Landman
Jun 21, 2015
Mona
Jul 29, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • You're Going to Love This Kid!: Teaching Children with Autism in the Inclusive Classroom
  • Kids in the Syndrome Mix
  • Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander, The
  • Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents
  • Ten Things Your Student with Autism Wishes You Knew
  • What Your Explosive Child Is Trying to Tell You: Discovering the Pathway from Symptoms to Solutions
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach
  • The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration
  • Lost at School: Why Our Kids with Behavioral Challenges are Falling Through the Cracks and How We Can Help Them
  • The Siege: A Family's Journey Into the World of an Autistic Child
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
  • Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World: Unlocking the Potential of Your ADD Child
  • Children With Starving Brains: A Medical Treatment Guide for Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • Smart but Scattered Teens: The "Executive Skills" Program for Helping Teens Reach Their Potential
  • The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems Into Strengths
  • All Dogs Have ADHD
  • The Teaching Gap: Best Ideas from the World's Teachers for Improving Education in the Classroom
Rick Lavoie is a consultant on learning disabilities.
More about Richard Lavoie...