Start by marking “How Wal-Mart Is Destroying America (And the World): And What You Can Do about It” as Want to Read:

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  192 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
After carving up the once lovingly cared-for downtowns of Small Town America, Wal-Mart launched a frontal assault on mom-and-pop businesses all over the globe. With 1.5 million employees operating more than 3, 500 stores, Wal-Mart is now the world'¬?s largest private employer. In this third edition of How Wal-Mart Is Destroying America (and the World), intrepid Texas newsp ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Ten Speed Press (first published April 1st 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about How Wal-Mart Is Destroying America (And the World)

Werner
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any readers who care about justice, democracy and the future of their community
Shelves: other-nonfiction
It would be hard to improve on the above description. Salty octogenarian Texas journalist Quinn is one of the retailing Goliath's severest critics, and his newspaper background stands him in good stead in digging out the solid facts of his story and presenting them in a clear, cogent fashion. He stops short of calling for a complete boycott of Wal-mart, recognizing the difficulties that might pose for many readers (I personally boycott this scourge of our country and its economy, but the rest of ...more
Sabiel
Aug 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: labor activists, NIMBYs
Shelves: read-non-fiction
It's a tad bit sensationalist, but very informative. Entertaining, yet scary. Don't try giving it to your Republican friends, though. Could spark some nasty arguments involving your allegiance to capitalism, and therefore America. Sigh.
Michael
Mar 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Diminutive in size, this book houses acres upon acres of all the crap the Wal-Mart phenomena has spread throughout the country. Having grown up in Texas when the invasion began (originally they purposely stayed away from the larger cities in order to drain the smaller towns of their extant retail – all under the banner of being a small town community friend) and later living dangerously close to their crummy empire – all in addition to having a spouse briefly employed by these grease balls – I t ...more
Lara
Oct 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Wal-Mart Haters
I wrote my senior thesis on how Wal-Mart wreaks havoc on small-town America. This book gives regular people insight into the workings of the most powerful company in the world, and the questionable business practices it has used to get and stay there.
Kati Giblin
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Very, very poorly written. But I enjoyed the facts, the anecdotes, and the message, so I enjoyed the book.
Shelley
May 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was written in 2000, so very dated, not to mention the author has since died. A lot has changed in the 12 years since he wrote this book. I can't help but think, what would he write about Walmart today, especially when so many other stores have gone the same route? Every large store today has a pharmacy, restaurant(s), photo lab, eye wear, gosh, even Costco has their own gas station for crying out loud. Target and Costco are two stores off the top of my head that are also huge box stor ...more
Megalion
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Author does a good job of laying out Walmart's predatory practices. However, I gave it 4 stars over 5 because I think it could have been better and more detailed. I'd like to have seen more about what other harmful things they do besides destroy local economies and abuse their workforces.

For example, I recently read a book about the guy who walked the full length of the Amazon. He mentions that some of the areas being deforested was for cattle... and Walmart was one of the three big corporations
Matthew Wanamaker
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book contains interesting information about Wal-Mart's tactics to eliminate competing small town retailers and many other outcomes that impact a town with a Wal-Mart. It includes information from former employees, competing retailers, newspapers, and television. Much of this information in important to know, especially if a community is interested in allowing a Wal-Mart into their town. However, this book has its problems. It appeared to me that many of these arguments came to the conclusio ...more
Kay
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Walmart Shoppers
Recommended to Kay by: My son
Shelves: non-fiction
As much as I enjoyed this book, my husband hated it. He didn't read it, but since he is a Walmart kind of guy and I'm a Target kind of gal I felt compelled to share a lot of the book with him. I noticed by half way thru he either left the room when I picked it up or turned up the tv so he could ignore my rantings! I have to admit that I do lot of my shopping there, but my excuse is that it is right down the street from work and less than 5 miles from my home. Target is 45 miles away so with the ...more
Tristan
Oct 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who buy things at Wal-Mart.
This book accomplishes its goal very well, giving people a bushel full of reasons on why to avoid buying (or selling) to Wal-Mart; everything from ethical to practical. However, as its only targeting Wal-Mart, it fails to adequately place Wal-Mart in the context of American capitalist-imperialism. But, as I said earlier, that's not the goal of this book. If you're organizing a campaign to either shut down a Wal-Mart, or to keep one out of your town, buy this book and give it to as many people as ...more
Jessica
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Aaron Sramek
Shelves: read-in-2010
A little outdated but still had good information. Sometime the author went a little too far with his opinion, like when he was going on about the reason you couldn't get any gold 2000 quarters was because Walmart had them all. I have no clue where he was getting this information. I never had a issue getting them and I doubt Walmart really had an evil plan to lock them all up in a vault. Otherwise I felt his opinion and examples were quite good.
Brandy
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yes it's dated, no it doesn't matter with the exception you can't look forward to a fourth edition from Quinn. I'd love to have another update and wish I'd found this in 98. It still gave me new ideas that I can't wait to share and implement. I recommend everyone take a few hours and see what they can learn about the Walton's business practices and what they mean for the economy in the long run.
James
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it

I read this book because I disagreed with the title. I thought maybe I would gain some insight. I didn't change my mind but it did help me solidify my thoughts and ideas.
The margins of my book are full of comments and questions because I think the author misses the point of trade- voluntary exchange of goods and services to mutual advantage.
April
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Be careful... if you read this book your eyes may be opened and you won't save as much money anymore. However you will learn there is a price to pay for cheap.:) Since reading this book I RARELY shop at Walmart. I did a little research of my own as well and tend to agree with the author on many of the points in this book. I may pay a little more shopping elsewhere but I feel much better about it.
Gretchen Taylor
The book definitely brings up some interesting points and even if you don't agree with all of them, you can't deny that the company is doing some things it shouldn't. It confirms my dislike of them and justifies my not shopping there...
Teresa
Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
This was the first anti-Wal-Mart book I read. It was highly readable and eye-opening. It's almost too colloquial at times, but that's not a terrible thing. Anyone who thinks Wal-Mart is benign, or even worse: beneficial, should take a gander at this book.
bangkit aditya
He tried to tell how evil Wal-Mart was. Since three decades ago, many moms-and-pops store forced to close itself cause of the unequal competition with that super store giant.
Leland
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
This book was very satisfying, becasue I can't stand Walmart. He presents very good arguments for why we should not support this maga-retailer.
Jostalady
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I won't shop at Walmart, I spread as much as I could from this information as I can and ask people not to get me stuff from Walmart.
Jess
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
OF course it's good! I wish Quinn would write an updated version though.
Bill
Aug 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Yeah we get it, you're a socialist.
Dawn
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
There are better places to shop than Walmart!
Maggie
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a great little handbook full of quick go-to facts about Wal-Mart and case studies where effective anti-Wal-mart actions are being implemented. An update would be great.
James
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It appears that one of Walmart's main strategies is to maximize ruthlessly the amount of cost (tax, human/labor, environmental) that they can externalize. (More later...)
Mck
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
every page is chock full of reasons to hate walmart. if you spend a dime in their stores after reading this, shame on you.
abby
Nov 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political
everyone should read it. reinforced my reasons to NOT ever shop at Walmart and to try really hard to shop locally
Sean
Feb 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Listen America: STOP SHOPPING. We'll all be happier. Trust me.
Janette
Angry author, but there are a lot of studies out there which support his claims.
leigh
  • Selling Women Short: The Landmark Battle for Workers' Rights at Wal-Mart
  • From Freedom To Slavery: The Rebirth of Tyranny in America
  • The Post-Corporate World: Life After Capitalism
  • Fighting for Air: The Battle to Control America's Media
  • Rich Like Them: My Door-to-Door Search for the Secrets of Wealth in America's Richest Neighborhoods
  • Socialism
  • The Bloody White Baron: The Extraordinary Story of the Russian Nobleman Who Became the Last Khan of Mongolia
  • Time Bites: Views and Reviews
  • The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace
  • Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science
  • Heaven's Bride: The Unprintable Life of Ida C. Craddock, American Mystic, Scholar, Sexologist, Martyr, and Madwoman
  • Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales Of The Here And Now
  • The Wealth of Nature: Economics as if Survival Mattered
  • Labor's Untold Story: The Adventure Story of the Battles, Betrayals and Victories of American Working Men and Women

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99