Start by marking “The Spark: The 28-Day Breakthrough Plan for Losing Weight, Getting Fit, and Transforming Your Life” as Want to Read:

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  1,311 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
From the experts who created SparkPeople.com, America’s #1 diet and fitness site, comes The Spark. This groundbreaking book outlines the best of what has worked for millions of members who have lost weight, kept it off, and reached other goals. Driven by positive energy and proven results, The Spark outlines a breakthrough formula that combines nutrition, exercise, goal se ...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Hay House (first published December 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Spark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spark

Tiffany
May 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dieting
I'm a huge fan of sparkpeople.com. I love it. I think the concept and all the hard work that goes into it is wonderful. However, when it comes to the book Chris Downie is NOT a fascinating author. I had to force myself to read the first part. The second and third are OK, but my favorite had to be the appendix.

He's selling a product. He's good at what he does. His tips are general, if not found on the sparkpeople.com site already. You're paying a fortune to have him give you "The Secret: Dieting
Kristine
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a Spark member and the program works as long as you follow it. It's sensible; eat right and exercise. It's not really a diet so much as a lifestyle.

I bought the book because of all the bonuses I recieved from pre-ordering.

If you join the site all the tools you need are there. For free. It's not neccessary to have the book but I found it helped with motivation and maintenance.
Tanya
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those looking to stop dieting and transform their lives
I've been a member of the sparkpeople.com community for almost two years, but I always found that too many opened windows occured as I navigated through from one tool to another to use the program. Therefore, I wasn't using the site as effectively as I could of and often felt overwhelmed by the amount of information that was there--until this book helped me focus a little more on what I want to get out of the site.

As a result of reading this book, rather than just using the website as a place f
John
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True or false: People fail to lose weight and keep it off because they don't realize they need to eat healthy food and exercise.

We know that isn't true-- everyone knows about healthy food and exercise. But isn't that the message of most "diet" books? Once you find the right magic foods and the right magic exercise, once you have that secret knowledge not found in any other diet book, then YOU will lose that weight!

If we are willing to be honest, the real reason we are not losing weight is US--
Rose
Loved it am on the site lost 54 pounds to date.
Julie
Jan 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not completely finished with the 2nd half of this book, but since the 2nd half is designed more as a program of Action Steps, I'm going to check it off as Read. I picked up this book because it was written as a companion to the SparkPeople.com site I've been a member of for 7 months now. It's a social networking site designed to help people set and achieve goals, with a particular emphasis on fitness and healthy living. Since joining I've lost almost 50 lbs and have really experienced a grow ...more
Angela
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Spark was written by past Proctor and Gamble executive Chris Downey. This book and the author is from my hometown. He started Spark People.com and wrote this book. He created the site to help people lose weight and change their lives. Not only lose weight but he developed a way to create goals and follow through. This book I read everyday believe it or not. It has helped me tremendiously.

I know I am raving about the book. The book takes you step by step to making the internal changes you nee
Karina
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I never read "diet" books. Never. Ever. However, I am a fan of the Sparkpeople website and really wanted to hear what the CEO and President, Chris Downie, had to say. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Although there was some diet and exercise advice in the book, it's really only 20% of the book and only really comes up at the end. Instead, Downie focuses his efforts on how to stay motivated in your weight loss journey and how to funnel the self-confidence and motivation from that weight ...more
Judy
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. It is not a diet book but a self help book about motivation and goal setting. What I learned from this book (most of which I already knew). 1. have short term, medium and long term goals, 2. set up rewards for yourself for motivation along the way. 3. start small with goals that you can easily accomplish and then build from there. 4. there is nothing that you cannot do if you start small and build.
Joy Weese Moll
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
What I liked best about The Spark was that it utilized “crisscrosses”—the observation that many of us have made that getting one thing “right” (eating or exercise or decluttering) often carries over to improvement in other areas. So, The Spark asks us to work on generating small successes in different areas and to set goals that help make these crisscrosses work for us by effecting all areas of our lives.
  • The Sparkpeople Cookbook: Love Your Food, Lose the Weight
  • The Biggest Loser 30-Day Jump Start: Lose Weight, Get in Shape, and Start Living the Biggest Loser Lifestyle Today!
  • The Biggest Loser Fitness Program: Fast, Safe, and Effective Workouts to Target and Tone Your Trouble Spots--Adapted from NBC's Hit Show!
  • Eat Smart, Walk Strong: The Secrets to Effortless Weight Loss
  • Body Clutter: Love Your Body, Love Yourself
  • A Course In Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever
  • The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook: Great-Tasting Recipes that Keep You Lean!
  • Eating the Moment: 141 Mindful Practices to Overcome Overeating One Meal at a Time
  • The Beck Diet Solution
  • ABS Diet for Women
  • Stress-Proof Your Life (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health
  • Spiritual Secrets To Weight Loss: A 50 Day Renewal of the Mind, Body, and Spirit
  • Body by God: The Owner's Manual for Maximized Living
  • The Anger Diet: Thirty Days to Stress-Free Living
  • The Gluten-Free Bible: The Thoroughly Indispensable Guide to Negotiating Life without Wheat
  • Skinny Thinking
  • Healthier Without Wheat: A New Understanding of Wheat Allergies, Celiac Disease, and Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance
“Give yourself up to this moment. Dare to see it. Now look down at your feet; slip out of those invisible tethers. Then ask: Where would you take yourself right this moment if you walked toward your most heartfelt dream? What would your life look like? What would your body look and feel like? What level of energy would you have? What might be your favorite activity? What would your daily life include? Imagine happiness—the sweet glow of inner contentment, the way it tastes and smells and feels.” 1 likes