Start by marking “A Fatal Frame of Mind (Psych, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Fatal Frame of Mind (Psych, #4)

A Fatal Frame of Mind

(Psych #4)

The popular tie-in novels to the USA Network series Psych

When the Santa Barbara art museum unveils its newest acquisition, the long-lost masterpiece by Dante Gabriel Rossetti isn't the only surprise behind the red curtain-so is the museum's curator. Dead. The case has everything Shawn likes: it's bizarre, it's baffling, and there's a snack bar at the crime scene. But th
Published August 3rd 2010 by NAL (first published July 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Fatal Frame of Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fatal Frame of Mind

Lexxi Kitty
I'm frequently confused when I reread Psych books. I hasten to note that I do not mean confused as to what occurs in the book, but, instead, confused as to how I never seem to recognize the books as I read them (for the most part, with exceptions both for books and scenes). Did I read this one previously? Apparently I did since I marked it as being read in 2009. Soooo.....

Right, so. Probably this and other books in the series are easier/better read by those who watched and enjoyed the television
Vikas
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was awesome and first international jumping adventure in books for our guys. This one was funny as hell and the banter between Gus and Shawn was in top form. This time the mystery was far reaching and far deeper but did it turn up the way the mystery does.

This time Lassiter was featured way more than the last books. I liked this one too and I had thought that this would be the nice touch to bring the nostelgia for the show back for me but these books made me watch the entire show again
Joy
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
As a fan of pineapples, humor, and all things Psych I have to say this was a real let down.

This was told more in Gus's point of view than Shawn's and it was....in most places...boring. It didn't follow the same vibe as the original show which I find a shame. Reading this I find myself saying more than once "yeah, this would happen in the show."

And I really didn't like the vulnerable Lassiter.

Try it if you will. This is appropriate for most audience.
Melanie
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
A Fatal Frame of Mind is the first Psych book I've read and it was great to kind of get more cases/stories with Shawn and Gus! While I do think the show was so much better with the humor and uniqueness of the characters, I did like this book and laughed several times. It was interesting to get to see things from Gus's perspective.

Overall, A Fatal Frame of Mind was a very enjoyable read that I liked. I plan on reading more PSYCH books someday. :)
sara
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
A friend gave this to me a couple years ago and I hadn't taken it off my bookshelf until recently, since I was heading to NYC for a few days and wanted something relatively light to read while there. I'm happy I did, since it was a good story and the writing style, in a sense, felt very similar to the storytelling and narrative of the show (which I deeply love). I loved the beauty and elaborately crafted history behind Professor Kitteredge's obsessive conspiracy and the twists and turns througho ...more
Tracy
Aug 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Psych fans who want to read a good book (with whump!)
Perry Reed
Nov 25, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm going to repeat this review for all of the Psych books that I've read, since they're essentially all the same.

If you like the TV show, and it is one of my favorites, then the books aren't bad. Unfortunately, they're not very good either. I expected them to read more or less like an extended episode of the show, but they don't, really. Instead they almost entirely ignore the characters of Detectives Lassiter and O'Hara and focus pretty much exclusively on Shawn and Gus. Mostly Gus, actually,
Chris
Nov 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I have enjoyed each Psych book I have read, but this one so far is my least favorite. It was well written and the main characters are just as lovable as on screen. However, in this book there is a professor who likes to lecture just to here himself talk. To me if there is a character I just can't stand it tends to change how I feel about a book. I understand the writer is trying to make the reader as miserable as Shawn and Gus but it was a little much.

This story just seemed to drag on and I fou
David
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: completed
This book was fun, but not enough fun to overcome the glaring problem that the author failed to capture one of the key elements of this program, Shawn's ability to notice things...

The book follows GUS and GUS' attitudes, ideas, and thoughts-- which was probably a good choice-- but it causes the author to avoid focusing on Shawn's mischief, until nearly the end of the book.

The dialogue captures the banter, the insanity, the wit of the actual series. However, this is not quite enough to replicate
Cherie
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Our favorite "psychic" Shawn Spencer and his partner Gus find their new case not quite so picture perfect in William Rabkin's A Fatal Frame of Mind. Although probably the best written of the first four Psych books, this novel took a bit longer to get into the case. I enjoyed having more Lassiter in this book than the previous ones. Shawn and Gus are written just like they are on the show, which is a plus. The exploits are a bit zany, and I enjoyed the theories on conspiracy theorists. If you're ...more
Sue
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psych-tv-show, humor
I'm glad Rabkin calls himself crazy because I totally agree.
For around 40 chapters this book was better then the two other psych-books I already read ("The Call of the Mild", "Mind-Altering Murder") but then there is this "plot-twist" that messes it up. And neither am I satisfied with the very end.
I think Rabkin is really good in building a story (and he wrote the charakters really nice this time with the charme of season 1), but he fails at evolving the plot into a satisfying end. Every time.
Megan
May 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
If you like the television show you should find "Psych: A Fatal Frame Of Mind" somewhat enjoyable; otherwise, it's not that great. The three of William Rabkin's Psych books that I have read seem to place the focus more on Gus and very little, if at all, on Shawn. I find this very odd, because the show focuses the most on Shawn Spencer and very rarely on Burton "Gus" Guster or anyone else. So if you can't wait for more Psych, these books will help - but be warned they are not nearly as good as th ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, mystery
Shawn and Gus get involved in a murder at the Santa Barbara art museum and wind up on the run with Gus' old art professor. Lots of fun, as you'd expect from the franchise, but the art history lessons got a little long winded, leaving the climax way too rushed.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Grant Polachek
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-humor
Another fun book in the Psych series. The ending was a little rushed, but all in all a fun read. But if you're not already a Psych fan, you should probably skip the book series all together, as I don't feel that any of the books stand on there own. If you already love the characters, then the books are golden--except for the third in the series. Finally, I'd definitely say that this one is the best of the Psych books, although I haven't gotten to book five yet.
Dawn
Jun 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, adult-fiction
I think the last book was better. I enjoyed the plot, and it had a great buildup with Bond-esque twists and locations, but the climax/resolution was pretty weak for me.
I did love that various episodes were mentioned, and think it helped with continuity and establishing the same feel s the show. For example, Lassie was contemplating asking Shawn and Gus for help and bought up the plot from "Lassie Did A Bad Bad Thing" as evidence of how they'd been quick to help him in the past.
Amanda
Aug 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Lollyletsgo
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very fun read, if you like the TV show, you'll love the book. As I was reading it, I could picture James Roday (Shawn) and Dulé Hill (Gus) bantering back and forth. If you really like the series, the books seem to allow the fan to get further into the minds of these two "detectives", and in this case, they actually get to get out of Santa Barbara for a bit.
Crystal Caldwell
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-on-nook
I like reading the Psych books, if for no other reason than to relive some adventures with beloved characters on a tv that is over...anyway, the story was pretty intriguing and worth a read if you are a Psych-O :)
Jacqui Ainsworth
Nov 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was my favorite of the Psych books. Like Da Vinci code but Psych-style. I love how the books are from Gus's viewpoint, you get a different appreciation for all the characters. I liked Lassiter's part in this book as well, it helped to flesh him out as a character as well.
Kandace
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Funny, although not as funny as the show. It's a spoof off of Dan Brown's conspiracy theory books, it even references them directly. I'd read the rest of the series if they were available in Barrow.
Jocelin
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
The thing that makes the Psych series so funny on TV; doesn't translate into a great book. The funny quips were there as was the different descriptions of each of the characters. The story was really lacking. If this were an episode on TV it would probably be really good. A let-down.
Zachary Smith
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
The constant, every-3-pages paragraph breaks are annoying ...

The characters are a little more cartoon-y than they are in the series.
Not a whole lot of father-son depth/Shawn-Jules depth/etc.

Still, these books are clearly getting better. My thanks to William Rabkin!
Wendy
May 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
The choice to tell the story from Gus's POV is odd as it works against the mystery and tone that the book should be trying to capture. The result is a tedious story that offers only glimpses of the source material's charm.
Charlene H.
In my book, some persuasion was when Shawn and gus were trying to persuade Leonard to turn on his group who thought less of him. "I guess all the smart people get to ride up front." is what Shawn said to persuade Leonard into thinking he was less which he is in the opinion of the father-son duo.
Edward Davies
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star-reads
Although this fourth Psych still has all the wit and slapstick of the TV show, it feels a little lacking in places and the ending feels incredibly rushed. Plus there aren't really many clues for a reader to follow to try and figure the mystery out for themselves.
Linda
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun reading especially knowing the characters on the tv series
Megan Page
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
VERY FUNNY! I loved it! characters were depicted perfectly and the story was very clever!
Mare
Feb 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Not a barn burner; maybe I would have liked it more if I watched the show regularly.
Caitlin
laugh out loud funny! funnier if you've watched psych and know what shawn and gus are like.
Deranged Pegasus
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
The twist ending was my favorite aspect of the book. The characterization was spot on and the storyline itself bringing confusion to all, all but Shawn that is.
  • Mr. Monk and The Blue Flu (Mr. Monk, #3)
  • Eureka: Road Less Traveled (Eureka, #3)
  • Psych's Guide to Crime Fighting for the Totally Unqualified
  • Mr. Monk Is Open For Business (Mr. Monk, #18)
  • The Chopping Block (Grimm, #2)
  • The Delta Anomaly (Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, #1)
  • The Fix (Burn Notice, #1)
William Rabkin is a two-time Edgar Award nominee who writes the Psych series of novels and is the author of Writing the Pilot. He has consulted for studios in Canada, Germany, and Spain on television series production and teaches screenwriting at UCLA Extension and as an adjunct professor in UC Riverside's low-residency masters program.

William Rabkin has written and/or produced more than 300 hours

Psych (5 books)
  • A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read (Psych, #1)
  • Mind Over Magic (Psych, #2)
  • The Call of the Mild (Psych, #3)
  • Mind-altering Murder (Psych, #5)
“Hugh, I remind you that you are still under the oath the last guy swore," Shawn said. "Is that real?" Ralston said.” 2 likes