Start by marking “Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World” as Want to Read:
Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World

Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World (Oh No!)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,181 Ratings  ·  222 Reviews
It's a terrible thing when a giant robot starts destroying your city.

It's even worse when it's your fault.
Published June 1st 2010 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Oh No!, please sign up.

Tycho Zirch All ages would enjoy it. Except middle age. Or elderly. So really it's a book for kids. But boy would they enjoy reading it. Of course as long as…moreAll ages would enjoy it. Except middle age. Or elderly. So really it's a book for kids. But boy would they enjoy reading it. Of course as long as they're less than 7 but older than 3.

So 3-7 years of age.(less)

Betsy
Jun 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with a name for this new breed of children's book author/illustrator we're seeing these days. It's a genre without a name. We're seeing a lot of picture books these days that engage kids, but also turn on their heads classic picture book forms. It started with books like The Stinky Cheese Man and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs and now includes titles like Pssst or The Purple Kangaroo or Guess Again. Oh No! (Or How My Science Project Destroye ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
I was handed this book by a library page, who said he had to show it to someone, because it is an "awesome book." And he was right.

It's about a girl's science fair project. She starts off narrating, "I never should have built a robot for the science fair. Everything was going so well... until the rampage started, that is. I probably shouldn't have given it a superclaw, or a laser eye, or the power to control dogs' minds."

No, no she shouldn't have:

[image error]

That's just EVIL!!!

For fans of chee
L12_sarah
Feb 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Oh No! (Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World) is the story of a young girl whose science project (a giant robot) wins first prize at the science fair and is admired by everyone...until it escapes the school gym and starts terrorizing the city. She realizes how big her problem is (in more ways than one) when she remembers that she didn't give the robot ears to hear, or the ability to read, or the ability to feel pain, all of which are incredibly important if one is trying to stop a gia ...more
Elizabeth Westlund
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This science fiction picture book is about a young girl who creates a robot for her science project. Unfortunate events lead to the robot going loose on the city and creating havoc. The little girl keeps repeating phrases like, "I probably shouldn't have..." She tries numerous ways to stop the robot, but to no avail. Eventually, she devises the idea of creating a giant toad that will stop the robot, but instead ends up repeating the cycle.

This story was complex, yet the words in the story were v
Lisa Vegan
Aug 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: especially for girls & boys who are independent readers, especially ages 8-11
Recommended to Lisa by: Jackie "the Librarian"
Well this one, much to my surprise, was not my cup of tea.

I did like that it’s a girl who’s built this amazing (although certainly problematic) science project for the science fair. I did like the humor; it is a very amusing premise and much of the story is likely to appeal to kids’ funny bones.

I didn’t much like the art style. The illustrations just didn’t do it for me, but I can understand why others like them.

There aren’t that many words but there is some advanced vocabulary, especially at th
Amy
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
I added Oh No! to our reading list after:

1) seeing that so many of my Goodreads friends have read this.

2) seeing that it pertained to a girl doing a science project.

3) seeing that it sort of had a graphic novel flavor.

My niece loves science, and I want to encourage that, so if we have books about a science fair project going haywire, so much the better. Sometimes our scientific endeavors get away from us, after all, and a little fun mayhem never hurts in a story. My niece also likes graphic nove
Tasha
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
It all started when a smart girl builds a giant robot as a science project. When it goes on a rampage, she realizes all of the features that she should have included and ones that it definitely should not have, like the laser eye. She also realizes that it is up to her to stop it. She tries to communicate with it, but when that and hitting it fail, she comes up with another solution. She builds a gigantic toad programmed to destroy the robot. And it works! Now just to solve the problem of what c ...more
John
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, I love this book and so will my students.
529_Amalia
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
OH NO! (Or How My Science Project Destroyed The World) by Mac Barnett and illustrated by Dan Santat. In this movie like, graphic novel like, picture book, a nameless pigtailed girl wins her science fair and is in for some trouble. With the speech bubbles in the beginning, “Oh no”, “Oh man…”, “I knew it” and the dark shadow looming over the city as the pigtailed girl walks down a destroyed street, you can’t help but to turn the page to find out what happens. As the story unfolds the nameless girl ...more
L12_Anke
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This is a great book for all sorts of reasons. It’s a good read for a wide range of age levels, the intelligent star of the story is a clever GIRL, science fairs are portrayed as quite the cool thing, visually it’s a picture book, but really, this is a deluxe graphic novel and finally, it’s hilarious!

The author does not share the girl’s first name, but we do learn very quickly that her blue ribbon science fair project (a giant robot) is destroying the world! She tries everything in her power to
Catherine
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The picture book, “Oh No! or How My Science Project Destroyed the World”, by Mac Barnett with illustrations by Dan Santat fosters children's’ imagination and innovation to be creative. The picture book begins with an illustration of a city in disarray. Incorporated in the illustration are ironic signs posted on buildings with slogans like “invest in your future here.” The main character built a robot for her science fair who is now destroying the city. The main character tries to tame the robot, ...more
David
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Some kids are too smart for their own good ... and maybe for everybody else’s good. When an overambitious little girl builds a humongous robot for the science fair, she fully expects to win first place. What she doesn’t expect is the chaos that follows. Mac Barnett and illustrator Dan Santat combine forces to create a hilarious kid’s-eye account of the kind of destruction that can come only from a child’s good intentions. This book is sure to appeal to kids and parents familiar with the ordeal o ...more
Kaethe
August 7, 2012

Brilliant concept with great art by Santat. I loved it from endpaper to endpaper, and was particularly fond of the other projects at the science fair (clever throw-aways).Only problem was, Tash and I agree, it wasn't long enough. We'd love to see a middle-grade novel with the mad scientist, our favorite since Lunch Walks Among Us.

***

July 11, 2014

Well, a sequel is good, too.

Library copy.

babyhippoface
So... building a giant robot probably wasn't the best idea for a science fair project. Especially one that has no ears and can't read. (Hadn't anticipated the need for those things.) But, wait! Something else might work! Or...not. :/

Mac Barnett has an odd sort of brain. That's a good thing for picture book lovers who have odd sorts of brains themselves. They should all get their hands on this book. Funny stuff.

Skye Kilaen
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dan Santat is one of my favorite children's illustrators. He's outdone himself here illustrating Mac Barnett's perfectly understated text oozing with science-fiction-y goodness and girl inventor power. "Everything was going so well... until the rampage started, that is." Fans of robots, comics, and monster movies should flat out buy this one. You can thank me later.
Kellee
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I. Loved. This. Book. First, this book definitely fulfills my search for a sci fi picture book. Second, I loved that the boo began and ended with labeled illustrations and scientific information about the elements in the book. Third, I love that the book is almost like a mini-graphic novel. The illustrations bring the story to life. I cannot wait to share this with my students.
Garren
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
I would probably rate this higher, except I was distracted by how this girl would have been responsible for killing hundreds or thousands of people even if this wasn't being shown in the illustrations. Everything else about the story and illustrations and schematics inside the book covers are pretty darn decent.
Dolly
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining and humorous tale of a science project gone wrong. The book is a picture book with a graphic novel format; the narrative is short and sparse, but the illustrations are very colorful and detailed. It was a fun story to read aloud and we really enjoyed looking at all of the pictures.
Jess Brown
I tagged this one "graphic novel" because I could see it being a great one to hand to younger kids (or beginning readers, even) who like a comic book feel. Even though this truly isn't a comic book or a graphic novel, it has that vibe about it. Though the illustrations might fool you (it looks like it's for older kids), the story is simplistic enough for littler ones. Very enjoyable read!
R. C.
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Everybody in the house loves this simple picture book. The diagrams of fantastic machinery. The hilarious plot. The Japanese text here and there all throughout. At a time in our lives when we are clearing the shelves of picture books, we are adding this one to our family library.
Miriam
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Everything was going so well... Until the rampage started
Scott Robins
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A wee bit thin on plot but the art is absolutely astounding. Plus, what kid doesn't want to see a giant frog battle a giant robot.
Kristina
Jan 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Really beautiful images but a pretty weak story.
Derek
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dear Son:

You think I buy these books for your enjoyment? Certainly not.
Rainey
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
*3.5 Stars*

Barnett's story was not quite what I expected, but I enjoyed the large, bold illustrations and the sparse story.
Edward Sullivan
Oct 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm sure kids will love this book but neither the art nor the story made a great impression on me.
Libby
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book truly terrifies me.
Tatiana
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's rare that I appreciate the structure of a picture book, but find the story itself problematic. Yet Mac Barnett's tale of a girl's science project gone awry achieved just that.

Oh No! (Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World) is a super-modern re-imagining of Frankenstein, but the characters are thin and the plot simplistic within stylistic illustrations.

What I did find valuable: it's a prime example of starting a story late and filling in details later. I would definitely use it as a
Becky B
A little girl realizes some serious flaws in her science fair project robot just a little bit late. But never fear, she'll think up something to save the day...probably.

All the hilarious ways a young inventor's rogue robot could go horribly wrong and start destroying the world. I love that the girl doesn't lose her head and is problem solving all the while. A humorous picture book take on the common scifi rogue robot story. Santat's illustrations are perfect for this story.
4b's: problem solving

Little girl wins science fair with a robot, but can't stop him when he goes on a destruction spree. She solves the problem with another science project, but fails to think through the new consequences.
  • A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea
  • The Boss Baby
  • Flora's Very Windy Day
  • A Bedtime for Bear (Bear and Mouse)
  • Dotty
  • Look! A Book!
  • Clever Jack Takes the Cake
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)
  • The Thingamabob
  • Kindergarten Diary
  • Spork
  • Kid Sheriff and the Terrible Toads
  • Another Brother
Born to non-farmers in a California farming community, Mac now lives near San Francisco. He's on the board of directors of 826LA, a nonprofit writing center for students in Los Angeles, and he founded the Echo Park Time Travel Mart, a convenience store for time travelers.
More about Mac Barnett...

Oh No! (2 books)
  • Oh No! Not Again!: (Or How I Built a Time Machine to Save History) (Or at Least My History Grade)