Start by marking “Missing Links” as Want to Read:
Missing Links

Missing Links (Missing Links #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  923 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Missing Links is the story of four middle-class buddies who live outside Boston and for years have been 1) utterly obsessed with golf and 2) a regular foursome at Ponkaquoque Municipal Course and Deli, not so fondly known as Ponky, the single worst golf course in America. Just adjacent to the municipal course lies the Mayflower Country Club, the most exclusive private cour ...more
Published May 19th 1997 by Anchor (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Missing Links, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing Links

Andy
Dec 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: golfers, anyone who loves to bet with buddies
Another quick read that will have you laughing out loud every couple pages, and falling off the couch every couple chapters. if you've ever played on a team, competed with friends, and enjoy heckling, you will get a kick out of this book.
Steven
Aug 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
UPDATE: Still, arguably, the funniest book I've ever read (Forrest Gump)!!!!

This was "oh my god" funny. This is one of those books that has people staring at you, wondering what you are reading because you are laughing out loud. I don't mean chuckles. I was full out belly laughing as I read this. Missing links is a book about golf. However, the colorful characters transcend the game of golf and make this a comical ride for anyone. It is over the top if you like and understand golf. If you don't,
Tommy
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was very good. It was funny and interesting. It was fun to meet all the characters and see how they handle different situations. My favorite part was the bet that the first person to play at the rich golf club wins. I also enjoyed when they snuck in at night. They got into a huge golf cart chase. I would recommend this book to anyone. Overall I would rate it a 4/5 because it was boring at times.
David Christensen
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Offbeat, and irreverent. Good insight into the world of competitive golf. It’s like the banter you would hear if you sat in the locker room with serious golfers. I’m only a social golfer, so this other side of golf is new to me. Really well written.
Neil Pierson
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
A raunchy grab bag of golf jokes; also non-golf jokes that have been converted to golf jokes. It gets the third star because there is some suspense at the end. Also because some of the jokes are funny.
Jeff Stein
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and touching story!
Duncan
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun story of a down-at-heel golf course and its neighboring country club. A lot of the jokes try a bit too hard, but a fair number of them land; the characters are overdone but still amusing.
Ryan Megathlin
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. It was full of laughs from start to finish. This book had been sitting in my room for the longest time, and for some reason I hadn't picked it up. I regret that now. This has to be one of the funniest books I have ever read, and the funniest golf book I have read. It is like the movie Caddyshack or Happy Gilmore, but with a different angle since its a book.
A quote that sums up the amusement in this book is, “‘Why do you play only Titleist 8s?’ Thud asked. ‘Because,’ Hoo
07JacobP
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book missing links by Rick Reilley was a fantastic read for anyone who is interested in golf or is a golfer. The fact that it was made of a Boston Character just makes it a good book because of their attitude. I would suggest this book to anyone who is interested in golf or sports in general. I would also give this book to a person who thinks he is a real man and that no one can top him. The book has a very small town feeling with the municipal golf course but then a large, country town sett ...more
Macrae Robertson
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read the book The Missing Link by Rick Reilly, where a group of friends make a bet on who could play at the most prestigious country club there is “The Mayflower” and the friends get torn apart by the intensity of the bet. I think this is a wonderful book because it teaches you a lot about resilience. Early in the book everyone was great friends but during the bet they got torn apart but Raymond, the main character fought through the tough times and brought the group back together and back int ...more
Brian
Jul 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-sports
Enjoyed the golf lingo, gambling stories, and general Ponky lifestyle; however, I could do without the overbearing "poor me" tale of the main character. All in all, even as an ESPN junky, golf, and gambling enthusiast, Reilly introduced me to a new world of sports vocabulary that kept the novel rolling. He also peaked my interest for the sequel, 'Shanks for Nothing,' through his character development - Two Down, Dannie, Cementhead, Froghair, and the other Ponky greats. The last fifty pages were ...more
Trish
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love books that can make me laugh and this one does when three golfers who regularly play at a run down municipal course make a bet on who can play 18 holes at the neighboring country club first. I hate swearing and crude talk so take into account that I am oversensitive to it but I thought the book could have done without a few parts. Overall the book is great, the story moves at a fast pace which makes it hard to put down. I was always wondering what outrageous thing was going to happen next ...more
Ray Kelly
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In Rick Reilly’s classic and laugh out loud golf novel Missing Links, life is played out at the Dogpatch strip called Ponky (Ponkaquogue Municipal Golf Links and Deli). It’s clearly one of the world’s worst courses where the hazards aren't sand and water but abandoned cars and shopping carts. It’s the home course of the protagonist Raymond ”Stick” Hart and his dysfunctional group of friends. With nicknames like Two Down, Thud, Crowbar and Hoover, these guys bet on anything, lie about everything ...more
Kathy
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Rick Riley has started writing for ESPN.com and that prompted me to put some of his books on my reserve list at the library. Two pages into this one, I realized that I had read it already. Must have been a couple of years ago, though. I liked it but not enough to read it again. I'm just too darn busy.

The story is about a bunch of guys (and one girl) who play at an incredibly bad golf course, find out the course next door to them is Shangri-la like in comparison and make a bet to see who can play
Tom Gase
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
A hillarious fiction book by Rick Reilly who is just as funny with a made up story as he is with his true sports stories. Basically, in a nutshell, this book is like Caddyshack when its all said and done. Great characters and great dialoque and a little bit of a twist at the end. This book will have you laughing out loud a few times. Any fan of author Rick Reilly or just golf in general will love this book.
Chris
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Started out poorly as I think Rick was trying too hard to be cool with his verbiage and golf lingo. Got better as the story developed and he focused more on the relationships rather than trying to be funny. Based VERY loosely on Ponky as it seems more like Putterham Meadows as far as location next to a swanky club is concerned. Definitely some good golf jokes there such as describing a long hit ball as a two horse distance. I can see why he went back to just doing columns
Kelley
Dec 19, 2008 rated it liked it
if you know any males who read and have any interest in golf, they will eat this up. I'm not sure if it still in print. I liked it for the Boston-based characters but my husband thinks it is one of the best fiction books he's read. The author is the former last-page columnist for SI, Rick Reilly, and he is quite funny.
Janice
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
To be fair, I never finished the book. I was reading it as a possible book for summer reading, and it is just too risque. I found the characters too annoying (although a little funny) to finish since I no longer had a purpose. I do know several people who really liked the book, however, so maybe I'll pick it up again sometime.
Nikolas Bayuk
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I know a lot of golf rubes will drool over this one. It was entertaining but it was very repetitive and the golf lingo was a bit top heavy. The characters were a little cartoonish at times and a bit un believable. The story did have some classic messages about over coming demons and following your heart and all. It is worth a read or 2 of you really enjoy golf.
Jason Valencia
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have no problem giving htis a 5 star review. I thought it was great. I am a little biased as I regularly play "Ponky" - the course that inspired the book. I have heard that there is talk of turning this into a movie. I think it is a great idea. The last great golf comedy (for me) was Caddyshack. I can see this being in that category if done right.
Matt
Sep 22, 2009 rated it liked it
A fun and quick read by SI and ESPN's off-beat story writer. Fun thing is that Ponky is actually a course, and Mr. Reilly talks about it with a loyal nostalgia only reserved for those lovable misfits in our life. How's that for a description Mr. Reilly!
Eric Arndt
Mar 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really thought I wouldn't like an entire book of Rick Reilly, as his columns sometimes drive me crazy because he tries to hard, but this book was really good! Maybe you have to be a golfer to appreciate, but I am so I read it in about 8 hours! I'm going to read some more of his stuff soon.
Bubba
Mar 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Lexi
Nov 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, sports
It took me a while to get into this one, but once I did I was hooked. I can never pass up a well written novel about golf. And this one had a lot of laugh out loud funny moments. Really enjoyable read.
Bill Littell
I liked it. It's pretty adult with the language and sexual allusions... definitely not a Glenbard summer read. Well-written and lol funny at times. Reilly is a writer with a knack for wit and sass.
Sugardaddiecom
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I originally thought that after the first 20 minutes I was going to regret that I purchased this book, boy was a I wrong. I ended up loving it! I will say that there may be a few too many plots working simulataneously but the characters make it all the more worth while. A definite fun listen.
Brady
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: jason lavalle, mark herrin
great book for me......... being a golf-geek and one who enjoys a wager or three from time to time! i have never finished a book quicker. it's an engaging and easy read. now getting started on the follow-up.
Dan
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
The beginning of a golf novel series, and I enjoyed the humor. The storyline between the main character and his love interest fits well with the funny relationships the main character has with his buddies. I enjoyed it a lot
Jer
Sep 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
If you are a golfer you need to read this epic tale of three hackers' 40-some-odd-thousand dollar bet on who can manage to play a full round on Boston's most exclusive and off-limits course, The Mayflower Country Club, first. Rick Reilly is absolutely hysterical.
Nancy
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Quick, easy, laugh-out-loud read with a surprising addition of a "message". As others have said, anyone with an interest in golf will enjoy this book. I bought 5 copies and gave them to friends; all have loved it.
Pages 90-120 1 4 Dec 07, 2009 06:26PM
Pages 60-90 1 3 Dec 01, 2009 08:11PM
Pages 30-60 1 4 Nov 23, 2009 04:28PM
Pages 1-30 1 5 Nov 16, 2009 09:01AM
  • The Match: The Day the Game of Golf Changed Forever
  • The Majors
  • A Course Called Ireland: A Long Walk in Search of a Country, a Pint, and the Next Tee
  • The Masters: Golf, Money, and Power in Augusta, Georgia
  • Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teachings From a Lifetime of Golf
  • The Green
  • Dead Solid Perfect
  • Final Rounds: A Father, a Son, the Golf Journey of a Lifetime
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • Golf Dreams: Writings on Golf

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things