Start by marking “Momo” as Want to Read:
Momo

Momo

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  42,934 ratings  ·  2,311 reviews
Momo es una niña que posee la maravillosa cualidad de saber escuchar a los demás y que desea ayudar a la gente a humanizar sus vidas. Sobre todo cuando los hombres grises deciden apoderarse de uno de los biens más preciados que poseen las personas: su tiempo. Porque el tiempo es vida. Y la vida reside en el corazón.
Published August 25th 2006 by Punto de lectura (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Momo, please sign up.
Nim If you have just started studying German it won't be the easiest read, no book is when you're only beginning another language, but once you're…moreIf you have just started studying German it won't be the easiest read, no book is when you're only beginning another language, but once you're intermediate by all means read it because it's one of the most magical and beautiful books you'll ever read! You'll have to look up words from time to time but I promise it will be worth the effort because it will teach you the words that add colour, texture and magic and really gives a language wings.(less)
Anika Depends on what she likes. It's a children's book (suitable for kids 10 years and older in my estimation), but it's compelling, thrilling, and…moreDepends on what she likes. It's a children's book (suitable for kids 10 years and older in my estimation), but it's compelling, thrilling, and wonderfully imaginative. It has fantastical elements, a strong female protagonist, and is beautifully written. My mom loved it, if that helps. :)(less)

·  42,934 ratings  ·  2,311 reviews

Manny
Manny was working late one evening when he received an unexpected visitor. He was an old man with white hair and gold-rimmed glasses, curiously dressed in a lace-embroidered doublet and a periwig, and he was carrying a book.

"Greetings," said the visitor. "I think you should read this."

"What is it?" asked Manny irritably. People were always asking him to read things. "I don't really have time right now. I need to get this software problem fixed for tomorrow. And then I have an article to write an
May 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Oh my... you haven't read this book? You poor dear. I suspect that the reason why this book is not read in the United States is because the grey men are working very hard to keep it off the shelves. It is moments, not time, that is precious.
Kara Maia Spencer
Aug 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA & Adults
Momo is a classic story that is known as a children's book, yet I believe that adults may even glean more from its reading than younger folk. Momo is written by Michael Ende, the author who is most known in the US for having written The Neverending Story. When I was younger, and my mother ran an independent children's bookstore, she ordered a case of this book, and gave a copy to all of her friends and colleagues.

This is a modern day fairytale, about a little girl named Momo, who moves into a ru
Lisa
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, favorites
Dear friends!

Do you have time to sit down for a moment, and listen to a story? It is a true one, of great importance, with a vital message for humankind. It starts in a classroom, where a teacher is about to wrap up for the day. She has put a lot of time into the Timesaving Bank, and wants to save some more of it by rushing off to the underground to catch the next train. That makes at least four minutes which she will not have to spend waiting, Heaven forbid! 4 minutes to put into the Timesaving
Ahmad Sharabiani
Momo = Grey Gentlemen = The Men in Grey, Michael Ende
Momo, also known as The Grey Gentlemen or The Men in Grey, is a fantasy novel by Michael Ende, published in 1973. It is about the concept of time and how it is used by humans in modern societies. The full title in German (Momo oder Die seltsame Geschichte von den Zeit-Dieben und von dem Kind, das den Menschen die gestohlene Zeit zurückbrachte) translates to Momo, or the strange story of the time-thieves and the child who brought the stolen tim
Bradley
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-shelf, fantasy, ya
What was I thinking? I already count Ende's The Neverending Story to be one of the very best books ever written, so why would I waste SO MUCH TIME getting to anything else he wrote?

It blows my mind!

It's almost like SOMEONE HAS BEEN STEALING MY TIME! All those damn time-savers out there fooled me and tied me up and made my life a dull gray, smoke-filled, DEADLY TEDIOUS world! They kept me from this book... and now I know why!

It's a conspiracy of the Time-Banks.

Momo is pretty damn wonderful. The c
Rinda Elwakil
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: تشبهني

مومو ..

القصة الغريبة حول لصوص الوقت , و حول الطفلة التي تعيد للبشر وقتهم المسروق .

يوميا - عن غير إرادة مني- أكبر أنا في السن ,و لكني و - و لم أجد لهذا سببا- مع الوقت ازداد حبا لكل ما يتعلق بعالم الطفولة لا الكبار ..
أفلامي المفضلة ل ديزني , و كتبي المفضلة هي قصص الأطفال .

أبتهجت عندما علمت أن مومو قصة مصنفة تحت بند كتب الأطفال .
ال "Fairy tales " .

و بالرغم من ذلك فقد حوت صفحاته رسائل و رسائل أضافت لي ما لم يضفه لي الكثير من أدب الراشدين و الكبار إلا ما رحم ربي .

في الزمان البعيد ..البعيد جدا .. ف
Miriam
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our time is stolen; or perhaps more accurately we mortgage it away, thinking we're getting a bargain when in fact we're screwing ourselves over.

Mystery and Melancholy on a Street, Giorgio de Chirico
Beatriz
Reto #33 PopSugar 2018: Un clásico infantil que nunca has leído
Un libro muy lindo, muy bien escrito y con un mensaje más que evidente. Una fantasía que -a través de los hombres de gris- ofrece una explicación al consumismo que caracteriza nuestra época y cómo, en el afán de conseguir y conseguir más cosas, se deja de disfrutar de aquello que realmente nos gusta hacer.

En resumen, un libro con un argumento contundente, mucha aventura y personajes excepcionales. Mi único pero, y que no tiene nada
Penny
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k-read-kids, reviewed
I read this book for the first time as a preteen, but I left it unfinished because I didn't find it engaging or entertaining. A few years later, due to my LOVE for Michaels Endes's The Neverending Story, I decided to give it another try, and managed to finish it that time.
In the end, I quite liked the story, I found it very beautiful actually. My problem with it is that it isn't a diverting read, I found it boring in many occasions, which it is a shame because the message that this story sends i
Nely Mokay
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creo que todos deberíamos de leer este bello libro y meditar sobre lo que hacemos con nuestro tiempo. Es una historia infantil con un mensaje relevante para personas de todas las edades, sobre todo por los tiempos que corren. Imprescindible.
Matt
Jede Minute, Mensch, sei dir ein volles Leben! – Verachte die Angst und den Wunsch, die Zukunft und die Vergangenheit! – Wenn der Sekundenweiser dir kein Wegweiser in ein Eden deiner Seele wird, so wirds der Monatsweiser noch minder, denn du lebst nicht von Monat zu Monat, sondern von Sekunde zu Sekunde! – Genieße dein Sein mehr als deine Art zu sein, und der liebste Gegenstand deines Bewußtseins sei dieses Bewußtsein selber! – Mache deine Gegenwart zu keinem Mittel der Zukunft, denn diese ist j
Dane
Apr 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of lighthearted literature
Shelves: fiction-read
You cannot, repeat: cannot, go into this book with the expectations of "hard," realist fiction. Then again, if you know anything about Michael Ende (the author of the Never Ending Story), you won't.

Momo is one of those rare books that would do well in a fourth-grade classes, but is also strangely releveant to adults. The story centers around a girl named Momo who took residence in an ancient, abandoned amphitheater in an unnamed town, which is populated by a series of people who do small-town jo
Katerina Charisi
Εντάξει, το λατρέψαμε γονείς και πιτσιρίκια <3

*Μετά από μια τρίτη ανάγνωση: Θα μπορούσε άνετα αυτό το βιβλίο να το κουβαλά οποιοσδήποτε νέος άνθρωπος (ή ίσως και μεγαλύτερος που έχει αποφασίσει να το πάρει αλλιώς) παραμάσχαλα και να πορευτεί στη ζωή του μαζί του ως το απόλυτο survival manual . Ό,τι πραγματικά χρειάζεται να ξέρεις γι αυτή τη ζωή, βρίσκεται μέσα στις σελίδες του. Δεν το βαριέσαι ποτέ.
Ms. Smartarse
Translated into English, under the same title: Momo.

At the edge of a small town, among the ruins of an old amphitheater, lives a most unusual little girl. She is very small, very poor and not particularly educated for her age. She does, however, have an extraordinary talent: she can truly listen to people.

Momo listens

Don't mistake her listening skills for the generic I will listen for now, but please hurry up so I can talk about my own problems type. Hers is the genuine kind, the one that shows real interes
Anna
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
δεν έχω χρόνο για κριτική (σικ)
αστειεύομαι, review to come!!!

Παιδικό βιβλίο που γράφτηκε το 1973, είναι ένα αλληγορικό παραμύθι που αναφέρεται στις ανθρώπινες σχέσεις και στη διαχείριση του «χαμένου χρόνου». Μου φαίνεται εντυπωσιακό το ότι γράφτηκε πριν από 40 χρόνια και παραμένει σήμερα πιο επίκαιρο από ποτέ: σε μια εποχή που όλοι οι άνθρωποι αγχώνονται για το πόσο λίγο διαθέσιμο χρόνο έχουν, για το πόσο δεν προλαβαίνουν να κάνουν πράγματα που αγαπούν και πού στην ευχή πάει χαμένη όλη η μέρα το
Deniz Balcı
İlk bölümle birlikte bir hayal kırıklığı yaşamıştım ama sonradan toparladı. Okuduğum en dolu, en anlamlı minik kitaplardan biriydi. Bir sürü ders veriyor, bir sürü de kulak çekiyor. Ciddiyetini fark etmediğimiz ve tam olarak da içinde yaşayıp yavaşça duman olduğumuz bir dünyada, çok daha manalı oldu kitap.

Kesinlikle okumanızı tavsiye ederim.

8/10
Julia
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wundervoll =) ich liebe es, wie ME mit der Zeit gespielt hat
Bunny
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People of any age who never have time for anything
Recommended to Bunny by: Meltha
Shelves: read-in-08
Recommended to me by Meltha, one of the smartest people I know, who has a great love for most of the things I love. How could I resist?

10/9 - Why? Why isn't this required reading in schools all over the damn place? Why haven't I heard of this? Why hasn't it been made into a movie like NES?

WHY?????

::ahem::

This book is WONDERFUL! And for the first time since I started keeping my nose in a book 14 hours a day (a girl's gotta sleep), people asked what I was reading, and I had so much fun telling th
Berfin Kanat
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okuduğum en tatlı kitaplardan biri. Momo da kitap karakteri olarak tanıdığım en tatlı kız çocuğu. Okurken bazen aklıma Zeze geldi, Zeze ve kurbağası, Momo ve kaplumbağası...
Momo zamana, zamanı nasıl kullandığımıza dair masal tadında bir kitap. İşlenen dostluk o kadar samimiydi ki kitabın içindeki çocuklardan biri olup Momo'yla oyunlar oynayasım geldi. En çok da karakterlerin yoksulluk içindeki mutluluk dolu hayatlarının tasvirlerini sevdim, Michael Ende tüm bunları çok samimi bir dille kurgulamı
Sevgi K.
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: don-quixote
Momo'yla bu kadar geç tanıştığıma çok uzuluyorum. Micheal Ende benim icin ikinci bir Miyazaki oldu. Herkese tavsiye olunur.
Chester Dean
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2016, owned, 5-stars

Momo es una niña pequeña que vive en las ruinas de un anfiteatro donde pasa el tiempo junto a sus amigos del área. A todos les gusta visitar a Momo ya que su imaginación se incrementa con su presencia, y eso los lleva a disfrutar con juegos y pasar el rato. Además que Momo es una excelente compañera, ya que escucha a sus amigos sin importunar. Pero poco a poco las personas dejan de aparecer y de visitar a Momo, cada vez son menos los que pasan a platicar con ella. Todos parecen estar cada vez
Γιώργος Μπέλκος
Τέλειο!!! Τέτοια βιβλία χρειάζονται τα παιδιά....και οι μεγάλοι!
Aleshanee
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich liebe dieses Buch ♥
Diese Geschichte kann immer wieder erzählt und gelesen werden, denn die kleine Momo kämpft gegen die Hektik des Alltags, die jeden Erwachsenen irgendwann im Laufe seines Lebens trifft.

In einer fiktiven Welt, irgendwann, irgendwo, taucht Momo am Rande einer Stadt auf und bezieht eine verlassene Ruine eines Amphittheaters. Mit nichts als dem, was sie am Leib trägt hat sie genau das zu bieten, was die Menschen so sehr brauchen: sie hat Zeit, ihnen zuzuhören. Und zwar so aufme
Dan
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book several months ago at a used book store, but I put off reading it because I was afraid it wouldn't live up to Michael Ende's other famous book, which also happens to be my favorite book, The Neverending Story. While Momo isn't as complex and more bluntly allegorical, it is charming and emotionally stunning. Perhaps I am more naive than most readers, but I felt myself swept up into this book's persuasive world in which children are forgetting how to play and adults only care ab ...more
DΛV·D
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Creo que lo he leído en el mejor momento.
Enamorado de Momo y de la historia. He vuelto a mi infancia y a aquellos libros que tanto se disfrutan.

Hay que leerlo, aunque sea tarde (como ha sido en mi caso).
Annina
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nach geschätzten 18 Jahren wieder mal gelesen. Eine sehr schöne Geschichte die auch heute noch zum Nachdenken anregt und ein sehr aktuelles Thema behandelt.
fanny golvano
May 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a todo el mundo
Este libro te demuestra la complejidad de la vida a traves de las de la aparente simplicidad de un cuento de niños, es sin duda uno de mis libros favoritos, mi padre me lo leia todos los dias cuando era pequeña.

Su importancia radica en la naturalidad del la historia y la metafora que imprime , es totalmente extrapolable a la realidad actual.

Los hombres grises existen sin duda, nos absorben nuestro tiempo y nadie es consciente de esto solo los niños que todavia utilizan su imaginacion, son capace
Ebru
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kitaptan notlar:
* Şerefli insanlar bir kere el sıkışırlar!
* Bir insanın çok dostu olabilir, ama insan, onların içinden de birkaç kişiyi kendine daha yakın bulur ve onları daha çok sever.
* Zamanın bu garip kısalığı uzunluğu, o saat içinde yaşanan olaylara bağlıdır. Çünkü zaman, yaşamın kendisidir. Ve yaşamın yeri yürektir.
* An diye bir şey kalmıyor. Ya geçmiş oluyor ya gelecek. Örneğin şimdi, bu anda ben konuşurken an geçip gidiyor. Geçmiş oluyor.
- Son bir haftamı gripli olarak geçirdiğim için dü
SMLauri
Un libro que todo el mundo tiene que leer. Debería ser lectura obligatoria en los institutos.
Ojala existiesen muchas Momos que nos ayudasen a entender que vida sólo hay una y que tenemos que disfrutarla.

Es una historia muy buena. Los personajes son entrañables, sobre todo Beppo.
Momo nos enseña que hay veces que necesitamos perder tiempo sin hacer nada "de provecho" para disfrutar de la vida. Si sólo viviésemos para trabajar nadie sería feliz.

No me ha gustado tanto como La historia interminable,
  • Die kleine Hexe
  • Die rote Zora und ihre Bande
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • Eine Woche voller Samstage (Sams, #1)
  • Mio, My Son
  • The Little Vampire
Michael Andreas Helmuth Ende was a German writer of fantasy and children's literature. He was the son of the surrealist painter Edgar Ende.

Ende was one of the most popular and famous German authors of the 20th century, mostly due to the enormous success of his children's books. However, Ende was not strictly a children’s author, as he also wrote books for adults. Ende claimed, "It is for this chil
“...it's like this. Sometimes, when you've a very long street ahead of you, you think how terribly long it is and feel sure you'll never get it swept. And then you start to hurry. You work faster and faster and every time you look up there seems to be just as much left to sweep as before, and you try even harder, and you panic, and in the end you're out of breath and have to stop--and still the street stretches away in front of you. That's not the way to do it.

You must never think of the whole street at once, understand? You must only concentrate on the next step, the next breath, the next stroke of the broom, and the next, and the next. Nothing else.

That way you enjoy your work, which is important, because then you make a good job of it. And that's how it ought to be.

And all at once, before you know it, you find you've swept the whole street clean, bit by bit. what's more, you aren't out of breath. That's important, too...”
320 likes
“People never seemed to notice that, by saving time, they were losing something else. No one cared to admit that life was becoming ever poorer, bleaker and more monotonous. The ones who felt this most keenly were the children, because no one had time for them any more. But time is life itself, and life resides in the human heart. And the more people saved, the less they had.” 229 likes