Start by marking “Hitchhiker” as Want to Read:
Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  1,515 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Two girls on spring break pick up a handsome hitchhiker and their dream vacation becomes a nightmare in this jolting YA thriller.
Published January 1st 1993 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Hitchhiker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hitchhiker

Ana
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-l-stine, dark-reads
Picking up a total stranger? What could possibly go wrong?

15041.jpg

I'd never accept a lift from a stranger. Not even from Ryan Gosling.

image
Kazzy  Stallwood
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good little story.

R.L. Stine used to be a favourite of mine when I was a kid - obviously through Goosebumps, which, looking back wasn't the most scariest of things ever - but I was a kid! It was scary enough then!

I found this book lying around in an old cupboard a few months ago and tossed it aside, thinking I'd read it. After reading a particularly emotional book already today I picked it up, looking for an easy read. It is an easy read, I'll give you that, but it has enough plot twists, thril
Myra Sullivan
Dec 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really an R.L. Stine fan. I was never crazily into the Goosebumps series or Fear Street and the few I tried to read seemed boring and repetitive to me. I expected the same when I started this book, but wow, was I surprised or what. I loved the story and was surprised at various points throughout the book. A great read.
Ashly Lynn
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those looking for a good thriller/horror/suspense.
Recommended to Ashly by: Read it years and years ago originally. Found at Goodwill.
In this story, Christina and Terry are on their way home from Florida. They have a long drive that neither girl is particularly happy to be on. To spice things up, Christina decides the two should pick up a hitchhiker, James, on the side of the road. Filled with twists and turns, you’ll never guess what is coming. This book is a thrilling adventure and wild roller coaster that will flip everything as soon as you thought you had the characters pegged and the story figured out.

Well, I think I know
Jimbo Pantas
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FUCK.

--the first word that came out of my mouth once I finished reading the last chapter. I was emotionally paralyzed for a couple of minutes. I couldn't believe it. R.L. Stine is a genius! All the time I was thinking and fearing the supposed antagonist when in fact... Tsk. I couldn't believe I was fooled! And I'm sure as fuck that all who have read this novel feel the same way too.

Let me expound why I gave it 5 stars.

The Plot
A lot of things were really happening in the story. And I like how th
Kris Lugosi
Holy crap, hitchhiking is not what it use to be! I would have been killed three pages in if I were these girls!
Annika
De eerste keer dat ik dit las is denk ik al 12 jaar geleden, en toen vond ik het spannend. Nu soms nog maar Stine schrijft geen superboeken. Ze zijn vermakelijk, maar dat is het ook. En nostalgisch, en dat is nog beter.
Heaven
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
3.5

I LOVED these and the Fear Street books growing up. I still have them and thought I would reread some of them and maybe start some of the ones I never got to.

Rereading this one it’s so cheesy but the twists and turns are so fun you just can’t be so judgmental with it.
Ginger Woods
I wish I had a shelf full of books like this. Easy to read, interesting, fast paced, you can read within one hour.

My boyfriend was on a tow, I was stuck in a car, this is the book I happened to grab & I read it in an hour.

These types of books are wonderful fillers. You know when you're reading tons of longer books and your head is just kind of tired of taking EVERYTHING IN?

Well this is a nice little vacation. You don't need to fall in love with the characters, you don't need to remember all
Alison Prince
I found this at my parents' house in a drawer stuffed with R. L. Stine books. He was my absolute favorite when I was a kid. I thought it would be fun to read a vintage YA book and reminisce on my childhood obsession.

Since I'm a YA author, and now I know a lot more about the craft (and standards might have changed over the years), I couldn't help but notice some technical flaws (such as choppy writing and head hopping). However, the book was a quick, fun, entertaining read and I'll always love R.
Kelly
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I just loved these books when I was a teen! I've reread several of them in my adult years, just for fun, and find that I still enjoy them. I recently grabbed a pile of them from my local used book store and took a few to the beach with me. I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes a couple of times while reading this one, and remind myself to just appreciate it for what it is!
Elena
Oct 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Embarrassingly enough, I actually liked this.
Olivia
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HITHIKER WAS A VERY GOOD BOOK....I REALLY ENJOYED IT.. r.l STINE IS ONE OG MY FAVORITE AUTHORS.....
Tara
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. My favourite Point Horror book so far, since starting to re-read them as an adult!
Kyla O'Neil
The book I am reading is “The Hitchhiker” by R. L. Stine. It is a creepy, action packed mystery. This book takes place in Florida, and the main characters are Christina, Terry, and James. They are on their way back home from taking a trip to Florida. I chose to read this book, because I have read other R. L. Stine books, and I really liked them. I liked this one as well.
This book is about two girls, christina, and Terri. They go on a trip to florida, and on their way back, they pick up James, a
Weathervane
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stine-misc
I could see part of the twist coming, yet aspects of it still surprised. The characters grew on me throughout. By the end I liked James quite a bit, and even Terri, regardless of her wrong actions. Nice atmosphere. The piranha pond rivals most Fear Street demises! The prose here was also comparatively strong; sentence fragments were sparse, the text fluid. Nothing literary of course, but I feel Stine's prose has regressed, probably because once he started series his writing load increased signif ...more
evan nordy
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the beginning, but it felt boring half way through. It was about a hitchhiker that was picked up by two young girls. The one girl fell in love with him but the other didn't trust him at all. The Hitchhiker is like the hulk when he loses his temper. He gets mad easy and usually very physical with others. The book was very good and I recommend it to anyone who likes reading horror or even romance.
Anthony Broadley
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun little story!
Becky Bone
found my point horror books in the attic and decided I needed to re-read them before passing them onto one of my honorary nieces. used to love these novels so much and was cool to revisit them
Donna
The beginning of THE HITCHHIKER started off incredibly ridiculous in that two teenager girls, maybe 16? One only having a driver’s permit, are allowed to drive from Cleveland to the southern tip of Florida for a vacation by themselves. On their way back they pick up a hitchhiker, which one of the girls starts totally drooling over because things like this happen in real life.

I get it. I need to suspend my disbelief. But one thing I’m learning in my Summer of Cheese pseudo-experiment is that Stin
Sidney Jurek
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why would you pick up a hitchhiker? I questioned the fictional character. You have no idea who you’re picking up. They could be a killer. Christina clearly had no idea what she was getting her and her friend into. Despite her best friend Terri’s disagreement and argument, they had still picked up the hitchhiker. After they had visited the hitchhikers-James cousin Paul, weird things begin to happen. Things went missing, people began to follow them, people disappeared. It was too late for them, th ...more
Alex
This was always one of my favorite non-Fear Street R.L. Stine books, and I still loved reading it now.
Erica
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up, I never got into R.L. Stine or any of the Goosebumps books. This novel is one of many that I have from when I was younger though and I decided it would be a quick read and prelude to October.
I have to say, this book surprised me in more ways than I can account for in this review. I was surprised at first at how quick I was pulled into the story and ride with Christina, Terri, and James. Each time I suspected what was going to happen next, I found out I was wrong. This book will lead
sunshine
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book when I was in year 5 (5th grade).
I absolutely loved it ( and I still do even though It's been 6 years), it was thrilling and I just wanted to carry on reading and reading.

The feeling this book gave me is indescribable, I just cannot describe the way it made me feel. It was amazing at that time reading a horror book, turning the pages to a new mystery, a new thriller.

I read many books of R.L Stine in year 5 and also below that year (they mostly included Goosebump Book
Kim
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, horror
I wanted a quick read and found this in my digital library (60% of the books in that library I got from my neighbour, so i keep finding little treasures here and ther :-) ) Since I liked the Goosebumps and Fear Street series so much as a kid I thought it might be a nice nostalgic trip down memory lane (it's no like I remember any books that I read 15 years ago so little chance of my memory spoiling the story for me)

This book did for me what it needed to do at that moment. It was very easy to rea
Trisha
This is one of those books that, because I read it about 25 years ago for the first time, I couldn't really remember much about it. There was one thing I was SURE I remembered though, and that was ... the piranhas.

Truth be told, as I read my way through the book this time around, I started to wonder if I had come across the piranhas in a different book, not this one. But then we met Art, and the hints of memory started flowing back. I was pretty sure Art had something to do with the piranhas.

Thi
Jaimie
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michelle Toy
4 out of 5 Point Horror Book Stars!

(I rate these books compared to other Point Horror Books Only)

I read this as part of the #pointhorrorbookclub that I run monthly!

You can read the post here http://talesofyesterday.co.uk/2016/05...

This is more of a discussion than a review with highlighted areas of the book and has a comedy feel to the discussion to. Please be aware that as this is a discussion there will be spoilers.

Want to know more about #pointhorrorbookclub - check this out http://talesofye
Paul Kim
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-l-stine
Can be dull sometimes because there are parts where nothing happened but does have some suspenseful regarding character interactions and the climax was so silly that it was enjoyable.

As for the twist, it's... actually so different from other YA books that I'm impressed. Although, I wished there better leadups for the twist so I can see how the twist begins.

It's typical Stine book where the only interesting part is the twist with plodding and padding in beginning of book but still it's fine as th
Melissa Namba
Jan 31, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-l-stine
I remember reading this one as a kid. I am starting to think that the books not based on Fear Street were a little better than the Fear Street books. The little twist at the end was obviously not a surprise to me this time around because I actually remembered this book. I can't say that about most of the other R.L. Stine books. Like the other books, it is fairly direct and to the point. Not a lot of description going on. Not a book for the literati, but fine for a middle school kid.
  • The Window
  • The Watcher
  • The Invitation
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • The Waitress
  • Mother's Helper (Point Horror, #14)
  • The Ripper
  • The Phantom
  • The Perfume

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99