Start by marking “Not Ready for Mom Jeans” as Want to Read:
Not Ready for Mom Jeans

Not Ready for Mom Jeans

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  352 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews

A laugh-out-loud novel about motherhood, life, and the quest for eight hours of sleep.

Event planner and famous blogger Clare Finnegan expected to go back to work after her daughter was born. After all, she worked hard for her success…and it's not like now that she has a child she has to buy a minivan, wear Mom Jeans, and give up her career! Right?

Published May 25th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Not Ready for Mom Jeans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Ready for Mom Jeans

Kim
Jun 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, but I couldn't even finish it. The writing was just too annoying. The same words and phrases were repeated excessively. The characters were one-dimensional and not believable at all. For instance, the mother-in-law and coworker behave so atrociously that they come across more like ridiculous caricatures than real people. Finally, the frequent attempts at humor were unsuccessful from my perspective. The author tried very hard to be funny, but it just didn't work ...more
Jenni
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was OK, but I felt like it kept repeating the same mantra over and over again.

"I like my job, but I'd love to stay home with my baby."

God, lady, shut up and quit your job already.

I felt like this was this author took a whole bunch of blog posts and mashed them all up into a book. There was no plot or storyline, just a collection of anecdotes.

It was OK. I read the entire book, just because I hate not finishing something, and I have a goal to read 75 books this year. I felt I couldn't
Jenny
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
I bought this book because it was a recommended read on Jen Lancaster's blog. I thought I would be able to relate being a working mom with an infant but this book was so boring I could barely finish. There were a couple of funny parts and the author accurately describes the working mom guilt but I just couldn't get into this book.
Dara
Oct 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
I honestly don't understand how some books get published. So many typos and inconsistencies! (She's leaving a message and her friend answers her? She's on the phone and she knows what her friend's facial reaction is? etc). Otherwise, cute story and some very funny parts!
Po
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Didn't like this one as well as the first book. Felt like the author could be mean-spirited at times, which I didn't enjoy .
Super Amanda
May 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
Atrocious and horrendous writing. Pestilence set to print.Cack without being campy. Chess masters ask that even decent non master chess players refrain from requesting a match as it can weaken their game to play with beginners. As a writer who is light years ahead of Maureen Lipinski (not saying much I agree) it actually is damaging to my own writing to sift through such trash. I catch myself wondering "is this is the rubbish that gets published now?" It reads like an annoying dream where nothin ...more
Kourtney
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scribd
Again, somehow I have picked this sequel up at the perfect time. Having lived through my child turning one, and everything that came along with the first year of being a parent, I could not love this book more. Every scary thought that was too taboo to speak about, every fear, every moment in watching your daughter not knowing what the future holds - it was all perfect. I have felt every feeling, said every scary fear...I know how it is Clare!

How I wish a third book would come out in this serie
Arsala
Mar 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book but unfortunately, this book and I didn't have the right chemistry. Jen Lancaster has really spoiled me. After reading her books, I feel like everyone else who tries to write a humorous story is just trying too hard to be like her. Bad, I know. The story does have it's funny moments but the insertion of an ex-boyfriend seemed totally unnecessary. Also, I think I couldn't relate to the character as much as I wanted to b/c all she wanted to do was drink! I don't d ...more
Angie
Sep 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Not being a mom, I find it so interesting what “thing” women pick as a physical representation of losing themselves to motherhood. For some it is a minivan, for others – it is fashion. For Lipinski – it was “mom” jeans. Through this book, Lipinski struggles with her decision to go to work after the birth of her child. As I was reading this book, I thought of at least ten friends who are moms who could relate to many of her stories. I often laughed out loud.

Jeannie
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this book in the beginning. There were funny moments, and the struggle of working/not working as a mother was relatable. However, the main character's attitude towards others turned me off. She was vicious in her descriptions of others, including coworkers, family, and friends. I was completely sick of her by the end of the book. I only finished it to see what her decision was, but realized I will have to wait till the next book.......which I won't be reading.
Katie
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
My major criticism of this book is that I wish the dialogue was more believable. A lot of times, especially when conversing with her sister or friends, it seemed unrealistic.
That being said, I really liked the book. I loved how it explored the conflict/guilt of wanting to remain an individual in your own right after you have a child, but also wanting to spend time with your child. I think I'd feel much the same if I had a kid.
Jenny
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I typically would not have chosen to read this type of book myself- a story about a new mom in her late twenties trying to figure out how to balance family, work, and life - but I actually quite enjoyed this book. The writing was quick-witted, humorous, and a little dark (just my style), and the read itself was quick and easy. There are no really deep or incredibly meaningful themes in this book, but it's a fun and entertaining read nonetheless.
Amy
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the kind of book you'd read at the beach or the pool; it's a very very light read. There were definitely some humerus parts to this book, but a few of the author's attempts at humor were so predictable that it became a bit annoying. Besides that, it was a pretty good book. I'd recommend it to those who are looking for a light read!
Doraluz Gallegos
It was funny, but it took forever for me to read. I'm not sure if it was the book or me. The ending needed more fireworks, and I pretty much knew how it would turn out, but it was funny enough in some parts to keep me entertained.
Kallejay
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Ugh, well, if you want a true account of how your life will change after a baby this is it. However, she keeps repeating the same line, the same idea over and over, and it never really does reach a conclusion in my humble opinion.
Elena
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, humor
I loved this follow up to "A Bump in the Road." I laughed out loud several times. Tee first one was better, but I really enjoyed this sequel- an awesome light read.
Rebecca Tees
Nov 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Predictable, but an easy read. Suitable for working Moms who are struggling to find their place again and decide whether or not they really want to be a working mom or change the life completely.
Randi
Nov 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who has kids or friends/family with kids
Recommended to Randi by: a friend w/o kids
Really funny, I don't have kids myself, but could still relate to this follow up to "bump in the road" I'm actually hoping they'll be a third in the series.
LInda L
Jul 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was funny, touching, and sweet -- sweet in a good way! If you need something light and entertaining, read this.
Erin
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chic-lit
A fun, quick chic"mom"-lit read
Yonina
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud so far.
Annie
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
Shelves: romance
STILL MORE LOVE! I'll totally be a mom like this.
Steph
Jun 21, 2010 rated it liked it
I found I could relate to everything the author was saying, but I gave it three stars because some of the dialogue seemed a little hokey/forced. But, overall, entertaining.
Anna Jackson
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This boom does not disappoint!! Hilarious!!
Lorie
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book! Loved the characters! The book had a bit of a Jen Lancaster feel to it so of course it was fantastic.
Angela Koczan
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this book before the first one, Bump in the Road. But still a great book. Easy, light - made me laugh out loud a number of times.
Aimee
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Love love love this book....I lol frequently.
Deamer
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another hilarious novel, & a bright spot in the days I read it, I wish she continues the story ^_^
Princessrena
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
it was good
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Baby Planner
  • Room For Improvement
  • Tales from the Crib
  • First Comes Love
  • Mommy Tracked
  • 24-Karat Kids
  • Family Trust
  • Take it Like a Mom: A Novel
  • A Perfect Match