Start by marking “Liberating Atlantis (Atlantis, #3)” as Want to Read:
Liberating Atlantis (Atlantis, #3)

Liberating Atlantis (Atlantis #3)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  441 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The maven of alternate history( San Diego Union- Tribune) continues his epic tale of Atlantis.
Frederick Radcliff is a descendant of the family that founded Atlantis's first settlement, and his grandfather Victor led the army against England to win the nation's independence. But he is also a black slave, unable to prove his lineage, and forced to labor on a cotton plantati
Published December 1st 2009 by Roc (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Liberating Atlantis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liberating Atlantis

David R.
Dec 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of Turtledove's silliest books. The series (now at #3) has become a total mess. In this one, we are supposed to imagine that an ad hoc servile insurrection changes entire folkways after one battle. What is worse is the endless talking by uninteresting characters. I hope he end this series.
Diana
See my complete review here: http://dreamsandspeculation.com/2011/...

"In summary, I found this an emotionally flat read despite the highly charged theme, due to trite handling of the characters, obvious story trajectory, long-winded debates on material that’s no longer compelling of itself, and my inability to feel persuaded by the Atlantis premise. I’d rather read Frederick Douglass’ autobiography, or a good history of slavery, or watch Ken Burns’ The Civil War to more deeply connect with this
Marla
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good alternative history of the Civil War, the slaves forming an army instead of the North fighting the South, but there wasn't much that made it distinctively "Atlantian" besides the addition of a Radcliff.

I wouldn't mind if he wrote more in this series, maybe have more interactions with "Terranova". But overall I liked the series and the idea behind it.
redbees
Jan 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Plodding, repetitive, points are sledgehammered home. Clumsy and trite. Interesting idea for a book /series, badly executed.
Ray
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book was like plowing a field with a teaspoon. Pretty much a tedious labor.
Aaron
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the third volume to this series, which is set in a world where everything west of the Mississippi River was separate from the American mainland. This separate continent has allowed history to form differently. In the first two books, Atlantis was settle by the English, French and Spanish before a Rebellion took place. Now, two generations after the previous volume, the USA (that is the United States of Atlantis) is heading into a major confrontation over the issue of slavery.

The north made sl
Angus Whittaker
Jun 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I only wish I could give this thing negative stars. It is bad - laughably bad. Or cry-ably bad. For starters, everyone in the novel is an idiot, and I mean that as sincerely as possible. The entire cast has about half a cup of intelligence between them, though Harry Turtledove seems to think they're all sharp as tacks. He repeatedly tells us how clever and wry his characters are, even as they spout their idiotic nonsense ineffectually masquerading as wit.
Turtledove seems to have only enough ima
Beau
Apr 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Joel Flank
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Turtledove takes the continent of Atlantis into a uniquely different type of civil war. It's 2 generations after the war of independence from England, and the slaves of southern Atlantis can't take more of the suffering they endure. When Frederick Radcliff, the descendant of the famous Victor Radcliff from the war against England finds himself suddenly a field hand slave rather than a house slave, it's more than he can take. Opportunity gives him a chance to do something about it, and he finds h ...more
Lianne Burwell
Like I said with the previous book in this series, Harry Turtledove does not write great characters or scintillating prose, but his alternate histories are great thought experiments. The first book was the discovery of Atlantis (the east coast of the States as an island in the middle of the Atlantic), the second book was the Revolutionary war, and this one is the war to free the slaves. The interesting twist was that instead of a war between the northern and southern states, it was an uprising o ...more
Leons1701
Third of the Atlantis books, brings us to the anticipated racial conflict set up in the second. I was afraid Turtledove was going to rehash the Civil War again, complete with analogues of famous historical characters. Afraid not because it would have been bad, but because it's been done before, even by Harry himself. But fortunately he didn't do that, choosing instead to give us a slave revolt on an unprecedented scale. I think Harry understates the difficulty of raising and controlling such a l ...more
Karl Schaeffer
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this was the best book of the series. An interesting alternate treatment to how slavery was ended. What would have happened if John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry had been successful? What would have happened if the southern stated hadn't of suceded? No war of succession. An interesting federal government with two heads each ruling on alternate days. Don't know how practical that is. Again, Turtledove hits home when talking about human rights, bigotry and gender inequality.
Brentman99
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like alternative history.
I liked the entire series. Turtledove is a master at taking something that could possibly have been and then spinning a great series of stories out of it. He does a great job with his combat scenes.
Joe Collier
Turtledove is getting kind of boring, actually. How many different ways can he rehash the various wars of our history? I would be interested in reading more about Atlantis if it were more than simply a stand-in for colonial America.
Jack
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing the Atlantis saga - - we have a full blown slave revolt with a hint of Spartacus and don't forget Hannibal's battle plan - while the ending is a little too neat for me, Turtledove did leave open lots of questions. Really liked the character development.
Greg
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read, starting off strong and finishing well. One of the better books in this this good series...
Patricrk patrick
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
excellent book. Gives a view of the terror the slaves were kept in to keep them under control and the terror the masters had of the revolt.
Kelvin
Oct 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, sci-fi
This was the third book of the trilogy. I liked the prior two a lot more. This book was an OK read but not great. Far from his best. Hence only 3 stars out of 5 from me.
Dan
Dec 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's by Turtledove, what more do I need to say? Fantastic insight in to people as always.
Clay Davis
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story about people fighting for their freedom.
Gary
Feb 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding view of our own nations history.
Russ Olsen
Time wasting alternative history nonsense. Yet I keep reading them.
Maksim
Apr 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, alt-history
Rather good continuation of Atlantis series. A little slow at times, but still an enjoyable read.
Gevera Bert
Couldn't finish it. Gave up on the series. Badly drawn characters and lack of maps defeated me.
Ron
Feb 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war, alternate-world
Continuing Turtledove's exploration of Atlantis, this time the slave question.
David
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book and an interesting ending for this series, the topics do hold water and can be tied to what is going on in our country today.
Rob Roy
Jan 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third in Turtledove's Atlantis series. This novel explores race, and freedom using a slave rebellion as a backdrop. Slow in places, but well worth reading
Jamie Friesen
Feb 11, 2012
Matt Fone
Nov 27, 2014
  • 1945
  • 1824: The Arkansas War (Trail of Glory, #2)
  • Alternate Empires (What Might Have Been, #1)
  • Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1)
  • At the Queen's Command (Crown Colonies, #1)
  • The Way It Wasn't: Great Science Fiction Stories of Alternate History
  • What Ifs? of American History: Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been
  • Roads Not Taken: Tales of Alternate History
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
  • Weaver
  • Hannibal's Children
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

Atlantis (3 books)
  • Opening Atlantis (Atlantis, #1)
  • The United States of Atlantis  (Atlantis, #2)