Start by marking “Mine Are Spectacular!” as Want to Read:
Mine Are Spectacular!

Mine Are Spectacular!

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  931 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
In a wealthy New York suburb, forty-one-year-old divorced mom Sara Turner is juggling a new fiance, a new TV career, and a Newcomer's Club that throws sex-toy parties. Her dearest friend, Kate Steele, a hotshot Park Avenue skin doctor, is being romanced by a real estate mogul who happens to be married. And Sara's new neighbor, Berni Davis, has just quit her high-powered ca ...more
Published June 28th 2005 by Ballantine Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mine Are Spectacular!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mine Are Spectacular!

Lois Duncan
This is an easy, cute, light weight, humorous read for women "over a certain age" (meaning 35 or so). The good thing about books by Janice Kaplan and Lynn Schnurnberger is that the women mesh as a team and speak with one voice, so you don't get that jerky, disoriented feeling that is common when two writers collaborate. The unfortunate thing is that all of their books sound alike, so don't make the mistake of attempting to read two of their novels back to back. You'll feel as though you're readi ...more
Cris Mtz
Sep 07, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mismo resultado o "pior"... Y le pondría la leyenda: " léalo bajo su propio riesgo"
Lindsay
This book was really cheesy and not at all what the title or the cover photo makes it look like it is. I was a bit disappointed, because I think the cover and title are kind of funny. But really, it was very lame and not all the entertaining. A chick lit book written by two women who had nothing better to do with their time.
Debbie
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my second book by these authors (The Men I Didn't Marry was the first) and it was such a fun, light-hearted, enjoyable read! The characters are likable and there is something to make you laugh/smile on every page. Their writing style reminded me of Sophie Kinsella, so if you are a fan of hers and the like, I urge you to give this book a try. Chick-lit at its finest!
Tyler
May 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: The title is taken from a quote at the end of a popular Seinfield episode (I don't believe that I've seen it). Instead of a synopsis as usual, I will present a character list and describe their place in the story.

Sara - Divorced her first husband James after he disappeared to Argentina 8 years ago. Has been a single-mother to her son (who was born after her first husband left). Is dating Bradford and best friends with Berni and Kate. Junior-high art teacher invited to star on a cooking
Gary E
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A descent book nothing great. I listened to this book as I was convalescing from a pretty badly injured back so it took me forever to get through. In part because I kept getting knocked out by my meds the other part was just that the book was boring and uninspired. It was very sappy at the end. Yeah I laughed, I cried (at the end anyhow) and getting a middle aged man on potent muscle relaxants to cry at chick is no small feat . . . I just can not give this book a very positive review. Yeah a lot ...more
Emily
Jul 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, reviewed
I read this book for a book club and that is probably the primary reason I finished the book. It was an ok book, well written, but didn't really appeal to me overall.

The book is about Sara, a recently engaged middle age woman, who is trying to come to turn with lots of changes in her life. There is her best friend from child hood, Kate. The "Derm Darling" of park avenue who is losing herself in a relationship and becoming someone who Sara doesn't recognize. Berni her new best friend a recently
Jodi Goldbeck
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sara is a teacher, but lives within the upper class in a suburb in New York. Her best friends are Kate and Bernie. Kate is a famous New York dermatologist and Bernie is a publicist ready to give birth to twins at any moment. Bradford is her fiance and James is her ex-husband.

This book was given to me by a co-worker, who received it from the author Jacqueline Michaud, as an advanced, unedited copy. From the minute I read the first page, I was hooked. I really liked the main character, Sara. She w
May 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure I got plenty of looks while reading Mine Are Spectacular!: A Novel at the gym. The pictures they put on these books sure get people's attention...I can almost feel the condescension boring into my back, but whatever, they really are the best books to get you to stay on the elliptical/stairs/treadmill when you'd otherwise be bored out of your mind.

I wonder how it'd be to co-write a book...and/or if Janice Kaplan and Lynn Schrnurnberger were friends first...I'm sure their story could be f
Putri
May 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This is a story about a friendship that consists of 4 ladies in their forties live in New York with all the luxurious,botox,affairs are there.
Along the way,friendship doesnt always go smoothly,there are disagreements and missunderstanding, but at the end they help one another.
Showing how friends can help you to go trough difficult times.Most of the times.
Eventhough the back ground is quite common -new york life style-, in fact too common, but somehow having read this book reminds me that we need
Nicole Ritchey
Sarah Turner, who is 41, has just moved herself and her 8 year old into her fiancee's home in a wealthy suburb of New York. She battles an ex-wife who wants her fiancee and will do anything to get him back, a difficult and rude teenage daughter, and an ex-husband who left her 8 years ago when she was pregnant and now wants a family. Sarah is down to earth, smart and witty. Her observations will keep you laughing throughout the book. A very touching, heart warming story. I plan to find other book ...more
Erin
Nov 09, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not going though menopause or mid-life crisis but I did like this book. It was funny, cheeky, and romantic with a little touch of gossip mixed in for good measure. I hope that when I get to that point in my life I am surrounded by women just like this. This book was not too intense but was funny enough to keep me involved. If you need a good book to just come home and zone out to this is the one. I am not normally a chick lit girl but this book worked for me.
Amy D
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio book. I thought it was fun, light, and made my commute better. Much better than the DJs on the radio or the news. On the literary front nothing new and enlightening, however a good funny escape. Can't read too much into it or it won't make reality on a few notes and ties up too neatly. One part bugged me that was never finished and seemed lazy not to by the authors.
Kristin
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! I felt like I really got to know Sara, the main character. I like that she is by no means perfect and is the first one to acknowlegde it. I wasn't quite sure how it was going to end which made it all the more fun to read. It even made me laugh out loud! Such a fun read! I highly recommend this book- It is totally a "chick book!"
Lisa Savicki
This was funny and full of twists. A single mom who has a son and teaches is ready to marry a wealthy man and put her into a world that she is unfamiliar with when out of the blue her ex husband, the father of her son comes back into her life. Some parts are a bit hokey but still puts a smile on your face. A good, easy read.
Camille
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sooo related to Sara: divorced, teacher, single mom, new man, jerky ex, self-depracating, teenager struggles, crazy friends, etc. This is a cute book and the main character is witty and doesn't take herself too seriously. There are some funny lines and comments in the book and I liked the sarcasm from the characters. Read it and enjoy!
Mindi
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was not entirely what I expected, but it ended up being good. I loved that there seemed to be more conflict than just a lovey dovey relationship. It seemed more real world. It was about two main friends. One that is dating a troublesome man that you love to hate. The other is engaged to a man where they both have been divorced and had kids that get in the way.
Jane
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book - it is typically a vacation/holiday read. Easy to get on with and an interesting view on life. I particularly enjoyed the character Berni and Skylar. I am glad that it was a happy ending for Skylar (in respect of getting on with her stepmother) and obviously for Sara. Great read.
Cathy
Mar 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, audiobooks
This book was okay...it was fun to listen to but dragged in some parts. Still, it satisfied my interests although I'd kind of have to agree with the reviews that criticize it for its unoriginality, but still a fun, quick and light listen.
Ashley
Apr 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun poolside summer read. The plot line was relatable and the characters were funny. I really enjoyed how even though I am at a different point in my life, I could recall encountering a situation or knowing a friend who did. Thumbs up for a quick distraction on a hot summer day.
Alyssa Greatbanks
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The summary made it seem like it was going to be a lot funnier than it was. But this was a pretty good book anyway.

This is definitely a good book if you are feeling kind of down about your life. :)
Courtney
When I read the first chapter I groaned to myself and figured I was in for a book that I was going to crawl through. Then, something changed and I found myself quite interested and liking the characters. I thought it was cute, if easily forgettable.
Montessahall
This is a VERY light read. It would only be enjoyable it you are into shameless product placement and celebrity name dropping. However, I did like the quick pace of the story. Very predictable ending.
Rosemean
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was cheesiest! It felt like it was written by 2 teenagers who are obsessed with brand names! It really annoyed me how the main character can sooo easily be a full time mom, an art teacher AND a tv cooking show host! Give me break!
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's funny, I started this book and put it down because it seemed completely superficial and stupid. Must not have been in the mood. A couple weeks later I started over and ended up enjoying it. I liked the main character. There was a nice mix of humor and meaningfulness.
Ryan
This was pretty run of the mill chick lit. The plot was decent but predictable. It was just well written enough to keep me reading. I did think that the main character had a lot of free time considering she teaches & is a single mom with a young son.
Chloe
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun book ~ when I picked it up off the shelf, I was hoping that it would be a fun, summer beach read, and it delivered... cute characters, witty dialogue and a fun plot. A fun chick-lit book for the summer!
Carrie
I loved this book. It was light and funny. Several times it made me laugh out loud. Nothing too deep going on here. Just a couple of women sharing a great friendship and finding themselves. Great chic lit!! Wonderful beach book!!
Mairena Romero sanchez
Un libro fácil de leer pero que no va mas allá de una historia de amor y amistad en el lugar mas frívolo del mundo "Nueva York".
Puede ser una lectura entretenida, pero no pasa a ser un libro memorable.
Jaime Marmolejo
Its a light hearted girlie book that offers its humerous parts. But I was just not that into it.
  • The Goddess Rules
  • The Right Address
  • Who You Know
  • Looking for Mr. Goodfrog
  • Bombshell
  • Whodunnit (Smallville, #4)
  • Marrying Mom
  • Love @ First Site
Janice Kaplan was the Editor-in-Chief of Parade Magazine, the most widely read publication in America. Widely known for her achievements as a writer, television producer, and magazine editor, she was deputy editor of TV Guide magazine and executive producer of the TV Guide Television Group, where she created and produced television specials that aired primetime on ABC, FOX, VH1 and other networks. ...more
More about Janice Kaplan...