Start by marking “Murder in Foggy Bottom (Capital Crimes, #17)” as Want to Read:
Murder in Foggy Bottom (Capital Crimes, #17)

Murder in Foggy Bottom (Capital Crimes #17)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  666 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Once it was a swamp. Now Foggy Bottom is swimming with real-estate sharks. When a man is found stabbed to death in this trendy D.C. neighborhood, it is major news. But within forty-eight hours the nation is gripped by a fear that leaves this comparatively small crime in the dark.

Three passenger planes are shot out of the sky. Everywhere–in law enforcement, in the media, a
Published December 18th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published July 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Foggy Bottom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Foggy Bottom

Betty
Feb 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another murder mystery by Margaret Truman that's easy but intriguing to read. Per usual she uses her knowledge of Washington,DC to give insight to the workings of governmnent, and even after 60+ years since she reigned there as first daughter she still can get to the heart of the government bureaucracy. What is uncanny about this book is that, written in the year 2000 and dealing with terrorist activity, she is able to capture the mood of the American people in a scary foreshadowing of the attac ...more
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Foggy Bottom was built on a swamp, but the D.C. real estate is home to the Kennedy Center and the State Department. Murders don’t often happen here. The corpse is well dressed and Post reporter Joe Patamos is going to find out who has killed the Canadian. But his story will have to wait. Three planes have been shot out of the sky. Russian SAMs have been found at all of the scenes and all of the alphabet agencies been investigating.

The Russians are suspect, yet the FBI strongly suspects a Washin
Cindy
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too many characters, hard to follow and not very much depth.
Sharon
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay reading - not as good as it could have been
LeAnne
Sep 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Foggy Bottom? This is not about some place in the backwoods. I am told it's currently an area in Washington, D.C. where you will find such nice places as the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, George Washington University, the Federal Reserve, the U.S. State Department, and Watergate. A nice place to live, but that area wasn't always so nice. Originally the low-lying swampy area was more industrial with a large brewery, a glass factory, and some very bad slums. Because it was a low-lying sw ...more
Ellen Moore
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a page turner and reminded me of more recent happenings in the United States. Three small passenger planes exploded in 3 different areas of the country around the same time killing all aboard, and 2 eyewitnesses described seeing something resembling a missile hit 2 of the planes right before they crashed. The book deals with representatives of the different agencies like FBI and CIA seeking to learn who was responsible and hopefully to prevent a fourth plane crash. Reporters hot on ...more
Ann
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a re-read for me but a welcome one. Three commuter planes crash in various places in the US on the same day. Upon investigation, evidence of missile weapons is found in the wreckage. Usually, Mac and Annabelle Smith are the key players in Ms. Truman's books, in this story they are only occasionally mentioned. The key characters are Max Pauling, a State Department investigator, and Joe Potamos, a reporter on the Washington news circuit. They, and their assorted girlfriends and acquaintanc ...more
Vannessa Anderson
What does the dead body found in D.C.’s Foggy Bottom district have to do with planes being blown out of the sky? With the combine efforts of a newspaper reporter, the FBI and the CIA we learn how the events are tied together and the people who are responsible.

Living in the D.C. area makes reading Margaret Truman’s books an added treat. Not only do we get to read great thrillers, we get to revisit places we’ve been, places we plan to go, or new places to go because all of author Truman’s landmar
Linda
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2016
A minor Canadian diplomat is found stabbed to death in the Foggy Bottom section of Washington, DC.

Three small commuter planes are brought down by missiles in Idaho, California, and New York.

An FBI agent undercover in a Washington-state based hate group reports that they are behind the missile attacks.

Journalist Joe Potamos suspects there might be a connection between the three events. But what?

Written in 2000, this book nevertheless seems reminiscent of the 9/11 terrorist attacks of the followin
Cindy
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The format of this book reminded of Tom Clancy's style. But I liked the pace of the book. Again the outcome is a reminder to beware the misuse of power in the fight of good against evil. (I seem to be reading a lot of books that have that theme lately.) Do the ends justify the means when combatting vice? The outcome reminded mean of a saying parents "jokingly" had when I was growing up: if you got punished for something you didn't do, you probably deserved the punishment for something that you d ...more
Kate
Jan 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-100-in-2007
The story begins with the murder of a Canadian diplomat in a park in Foggy Bottom, DC. Within 48 hours, three planes are shot out of the sky, and a whole pile of proverbial poo hits the fan. The story leaps from DC to the Pacific Northwest to Moscow, deals with a religious cult, environmental fanatics, terrorists, and everything in between. Throw in a couple of love stories and a vindictive ex-husband, and you've got Murder in Foggy Bottom

This book really lost me. I was not into it at all. Micha
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Laura Beasley
I give this book 4.5 stars. Another good mystery by Margaret Truman. Love the setting of Washington, DC and other places in the US. The story has several mysteries going on at once and she ties them all together. A murder if a Canadian citizen is first and then planes are shot down and they have to find out who is responsible for this. Some of the same people from other stories in the Capital Crimes series are in this book so you get to learn more about them and their relationships. The twists, ...more
Kay
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle
This mystery was written later than the last few I have read and it's easy to see how her writing progressed. I shouldn't be reading them out of order [against what I always say I'm going to do] but I started these on a trip and had to read what the library had on Kindle and the ones I could find in the used book stores that our library doesn't have a copy of.

All of her books have a great plot and gives history and political information in her stories. I love mystery and history so they are rig
Georgene
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It's always fun finding a book by a favorite author that I haven't already read. I was pleased to find this book at a library sale. I was even more pleased to read it.

3 regional airline jets are shot out of the sky by ground-to-air missiles. The chase is on looking for the perpetrators! This book was first published in 2000, so it's oddly prophetic in it's story line.

I enjoyed this book a lot. Even if it did take me a whole weekend to read it.
Deborah Hamilton
This book sent chills up my spine with each page I read. Perhaps it was the time of year I chose to read this book or perhaps just the thought of terrorists shooting down 3 commercial airplanes in one day was just too realistic. Whatever the case, the book was a great read and probably very accurate, as far as procedure is concerned give Ms. Truman was a President's daughter. A great read with lots of twists and turns. This book will not disappoint.
Bonnie
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This turned out to be a thoroughly enjoyable book. The characters were interesting and the plot was great. It seemed like it was going in two different directions: what connection could there be between the murder of a minor Canadian diplomat with commuter planes shot out of the sky with Russian missiles? I'll certainly be reading (or listening to) more by Ms. Truman.
Sally
Oct 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best mystery I've ever read, but it was fair enough that I'm gonna read some of her other books. Low on swearing and nothing risque, so that's good! Just a few too many characters to keep track of. I was interested to see what Pres. Truman's daughter wrote like, since I read about her a little bit in Truman, by David McCullough.
Conni Harness
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Read, Absolutely!!! Started this, thinking another free standing start, but soon discovered Joe Potamos' return from an earlier book, but then got even better Mac & Annabel also included! Minor story line, but still included & implied involvement. This could be her best book yet. Twists & turns throughout. Excellent writing job!!!
Jean
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read most of Margaret Truman's books and this one is just a good as the others. It could be happening in real life today and her insight of the inner workings of the government make it even more interesting. But after all she spent alot of time here in the Nation's Capital and that is other reason why I lover her books

I plan on reading all of her books
grundoon
I'm more than fine with a shift in which Mac and Annabel are peripheral characters. Too bad it's less D.C. mystery - I'd be surprised if the page count involving Foggy Bottom exceeds half a dozeb - than multi-continent spanning predictable terrorist thriller. $5 says she'd recently been on a Moscow tour.
Cara Ellison
Apr 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, e-book, dnf
I love every other Margaret Truman book I've read but this one was just awful. I quit after 20% because life is too short to put up with crappy writing. The head-hopping was awful. The slurry of extraneous info was just inane. I remain disappointed and have moved on.
Corri
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
(Read by Alan Sklar)

A Canadian murdered in Foggy Bottom is the key to the terrorist acts involving shooting down planes. I was lost - I think it was due to the abridgement. Not lost, just unexcited. COuld've been extremely exciting...
Charline A Wells
Top Notch

I'm not an avid reader of espionage books such as Grisham, Flynn etc. However, Margaret Truman with this book was just perfect! A perfect combination of intrigue, tension, believable characters and plausible circumstances. I would highly recommend it.
Catherine Woodman
This series is usually well written (which at this point makes me wonder if she is the author still because they still hold together well, and she has to be getting up there in age), not too heavy on character development, and not driven by action--acceptable mysteries
Corinne Newell
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GREAT READ

GREAT READ

This book was another great mystery by Ttruman. My only complaint is that she has so many characters that I have to back up occasionally and 'remember who is who.
Amanda (Mandy)
Dec 07, 2006 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery-novel addicts
This is a pretty good mystery novel, if you're into that kinda thing. I am. Made a quick read on the beach in Cuba. It was also kinda fun how this series takes place in DC, I just went there on business and they really get into the local colour in these novels.
Kathie
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly simplistic writing. Audio book was only 3 CDs.
VerJean
One of my favorite series. Catching up with several of them this year.
Read in 2009
Michael Williams
A contrast to A Capitol Crime, both cover similar territory, but this one with more style and depth. A good, fast paced thriller.
  • Monument to Murder (Capital Crimes, #25)
  • Murder in the Lincoln Bedroom (Eleanor Roosevelt, #19)
  • Vineyard Shadows (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #12)
  • Cat in a Neon Nightmare (Midnight Louie, #15)
  • Dead Days of Summer (Death on Demand, #17)
  • Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #7)
  • Fatal Flaw
Mary Margaret Truman-Daniel, widely known throughout her life as "Margaret Truman", (February 17, 1924 — January 29, 2008) was an American singer who later became a successful writer. She was the only child of Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States) and his wife Bess.

Born in Independence, Missouri, she was christened Mary Margaret Truman (for her aunt Mary Jane Truman and her materna
More about Margaret Truman...

Capital Crimes (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1)
  • Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)
  • Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)
  • Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4)
  • Murder on Embassy Row (Capital Crimes, #5)
  • Murder at the FBI (Capital Crimes, #6)
  • Murder in Georgetown (Capital Crimes, #7)
  • Murder in the CIA (Capital Crimes, #8)
  • Murder at the Kennedy Center (Capital Crimes, #9)
  • Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10)