Start by marking “The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)

The Web (Alex Delaware #10)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  6,775 Ratings  ·  234 Reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Jonathan Kellerman's Victims.

Psychologist-detective Dr. Alex Delaware finds terror in the heart of paradise in this relentlessly sinister novel by America's premier writer of psychological suspense, the author of ten successive New York Times bestsellers.  Three months in paradise, all expenses paid.  It's an invitation Alex Del
Published April 1st 2003 by Ballantine Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Web

Dirk Grobbelaar

"Look at this," he said. "I'm sure you've never seen a web like this."

Mystery readers who like their stories compartmentalised and samey will probably frown upon what Kellerman has done here. It’s an Alex Delaware novel, but it is also quite unlike any of the other novels in the series (or at least those that I have read, which, admittedly aren’t that many).

For starters: the story takes place on a remote and obscure Micronesian island. Consider: a large mansion filled with house guests; a grueso
Nancy
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Alex Delaware and his girlfriend leave LA for a three month sabbatical and head to a Micronesia island to help Dr. Moreland organize his research and papers for publication. They believe this light work load will give them a much needed vacation. But no! The tropical paradise is anything but as Alex discovers a conspiracy (as he does in every book) that Dr. Moreland is complicit in that is so preposterous that it strained credibility.
Michael
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is not one of the more recent books in the Delaware series. I didn't realize until after I started, that one of my favorite features of this series - the intelligent repartee that goes on between Alex and his usual cohort in crime sleuthing, Lt. Milo Stugis, would not be there. For me, this is what sets The Delaware books apart from all the others. So I was somewhat disappointed.
Kellerman still writes interesting books. This time Alex is invited to join a doctor Moreland living on a romote
Nanosynergy
(Book 10 of author's Alex Delaware/Milo Sturgis series.) Alex Delaware is dimmer than I thought. Delaware is lured to an isolated, tropical island by a wealthy scientist -- whom he has never met nor heard of - with flattery and the promise of an underwritten, 6-month vacation. From the beginning of the book, the words "If it sounds to good to be true..." echoed in my head. Then, coincidentally, Delaware's Barbie-girlfriend, Robin, needs a break from her work as well and is able to tag along for ...more
Marilyn
Nov 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Kellerman's characters, but I'm starting to get a bit tired of his detailed descriptions of whatever area he's either entered, or who's wearing what. This took place on a little island (I think it's fake) in the S.Pacific. Alex Delaware & his partner (Robin)get an unexpected "vacation" as he does research for a Dr. there, who is about to retire. Has to do w/nuclear bombs being discharged under water years ago...and the fallout from those tests. Now, the dear Dr. has a cavefull of "ali ...more
Judy
Feb 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kellerman departs significantly from his pattern in this book. Instead of the LA area, the action takes place on a remote tropical island. Robin accompanies Dr. Deleware for a relaxing time, while he confers with Dr Moreland, a scientist who wants Dr Deleware to perhaps collaborate on articles or a book. But there are some other strange people staying at the hotel-like house where the scientist lives. There are some creepy episodes as the scientist collects rare spiders, and also has other creep ...more
Lewis Weinstein
This might be a terrific book, but I will probably never know. Early scenes with disgusting people and even more disgusting spiders led me to return the book to a safe place on the shelf.
aPriL does feral sometimes
Kellerman's Delaware mysteries always teeter towards soap opera and occasionally fall in. This is one that fell. Depending on you, the reader, that can be either good or bad. For me, the other elements either make the book good or bad. I like 'The Web'.

Another element is that Kelleman's plots always contain Truth - of historical facts or recent headlines on CNN - which he heavily fictionalizes. Since I read the news as obsessively as I do novels, and I have done so for 50 years, plus my memory
Kevin Lake
The story was actually... ok. It was good up until the end, and then it seemed like a cheap stage production. And the writing style? I don't like it.
fragmants.
floating.
around.
redundantly.
and needlessly.
just say it.
don't spray it.

Probably won't read any more of this author's work and it is because of the style. I know he probably means it to be some sort of unique art form, but just when you get in the rhythm of the story, this crap (see above) pops up and slows everything down.
oh, and he went
Carrie Stephens
The pace and tone of this book was very different from the rest of the Delaware novels. Milo wasn't a big part of the plot and was only included in a phone conversation. Maybe it was the change of setting, but this book just seemed a little "off"
Suze
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kellerman always throws in a twist or two that you don't expect, and this novel didn't disappoint. I like his sense of humor, too.

The beginning dragged a bit, which is why this one only gets three stars.
Mar 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is set away from LA, so Milo is only a few phone calls in the book. This is a little different from some of his other books. Is not a particularly stimulating read- but it is a good book. I wouldn't really buy it- rather check it out at the library.
Evelyn Mattice
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. I would highly recommend it to all who love a good mystery
Audrey
Oct 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Kellerman - good airplane read.
Doris
Sep 22, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got about 3/4 of the way through this book and gave it up. Improbable and not interesting to me.
Mitzy
Apr 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed Jonathan Kellerman's books, but I HATE SPIDERS. This is a story about spiders, and I just couldn't bring myself to read more than a few pages~
Sue
Apr 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sue by: Karl Fritch
Enjoyable, though not one of Jonathan Kellerman's best, in my opinion.
Nerys Roberts
Alex Delaware and his girlfriend Robin Castagna have travelled to the island of
Aruk in Micronesia at the invitation of Dr Moreland who wishes Alex to help him review all his medical files with the view of publishing articles together. All is not as it seems at the island however and Alex and Robin can't help but wonder why they have been invited in the first place. Does Dr Moreland have an ulterior motive for getting them on the island. Can't say I enjoyed this book as much as others in the ser
Bill Bunn
I've now read two of Kellerman's novels set in places outside of L.A.. I must say, both end up not being my favourites. This one is not his best writing. His characters are a little more cardboardy. The action is slow and stiff. I will finish it, I promise. Just not compelling. For this reason, I'd give it a 2 on the Kellerman scale. His books are usually much better. Still much better than many writers, but terrible given the standard I've come to expect.
Carolyn
Finally a relaxing break for Alex and Robin -- a three-month, all-expense-paid trip to a remote island in the South Pacific. But waiting there are a "mad scientist", a tarantula named Emma, and (of course) a many-years-old mystery that Alex must solve. An interesting new setting in which the cleverly-constructed story unfolds.
Dawn Cauthen
Sep 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a much different feel than all of the other Delaware books I have read. It started out seeming as if it would become a grade B horror movie, with killer mutant bugs. Storyline was slowish and it didn't come together for me. I really struggled to get through it. Alex's final discovery was ridiculous and completely unbelievable. Really did not like this one at all.
Nicole Brown
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book filled with surprises at every turn and you'll never guess at the ending. I highly recommend it.

Suzanne
A little different. I'd read another of this author.
Margo
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just okay

This was not one of my favorite Kellerman books. Understand his premise for writing this but was not a good read for me.
Cybercrone
This one kind of edged into the horror realm due to extensive descriptions of post-nuclear testing damage.
Still a good story.
Jenny
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book takes place on a small fictional island called Aruk. Alex Delaware and his steadfast and curly-haired partner Robin go out there to visit an aging doctor who asks for Alex's input on his years and years of records. Once they arrive, things get bad quickly and events and people aren't always what or who they seem.

I found this to be a very slow and meandering story. It almost seemed as though Kellerman had more fun creating the island and its people than in coming up with a good compelli
Arica
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-kellerman
So much for a vacation! Alex and Robin really can't catch a BREAK but this "case" was super interesting w/politics, adultery, murder and misfit children of all sorts.
J
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I DON'T HIDE MY REVIEWS EVEN IF THEY HAVE SPOILERS. BUT I DON'T PUT THEM ON A FEED, EITHER.

I wouldn't say that Alex Delaware has jumped the shark in "The Web," but the novel is analogous to Fonzy from "Happy Days" taking a trip to Hawaii.

Alex and Robin go to an obscure Pacific atoll, Aruk, for the book's action. Their burnt-to-crisp bungalow is being rebuilt and Alex has received a research offer from a doctor based on the atoll.

Supposedly Alex is to help the doctor organize his records collecte
Dag Dawit

The web is a well written book. Jonathan Kellerman is a very good author. He worte the book using a lot of figurative language which made the book more interesting. " The lady is old so she is wiped out". He also uses words that catches the readers attention. While reading the book you wouldnt even realize how fast you go because it is so interesting.

If you love mystery and action you must read this book because thats what its filled with. Its impossible for you to get lost when you read it, b
Bridgette Redman
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I hate the little cards that have to be sent back to book clubs, I have them to thank for my discovery of Jonathan Kellerman. As usual, I had forgotten to return the card and "The Web" arrived in the mail. Rather than return it, I decided to give it a read. I had read several of his wife's books and liked them so I was willing to give him a try. I figured from the title that perhaps it was about cyberpunk or some Net mystery. I've never been so delighted to be wrong.

Kellerman's "The
Goodreads Librari...: Add ISBN13 to ISBN: 9024554527 3 29 Jul 01, 2012 04:17AM
  • False Prophet (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #5)
  • Turnstone (DI Joe Faraday, #1)
  • Shadows on the Mirror (Sarah Fortune, #1)
  • Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)
  • The Silent Assassin
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Clinic (Alex Delaware, #11)