Start by marking “A Hammock Beneath the Mangoes: Stories from Latin America” as Want to Read:
A Hammock Beneath the Mangoes: Stories from Latin America

Isabel Allende: Toad's Mouth

Three: Brazil

Jorge Amado: The Miracle of the Birds
Murilo Rubião: The Ex-
Published November 1st 1992 by Plume (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Hammock Beneath the Mangoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hammock Beneath the Mangoes

Henry
Dec 14, 2016 added it
This is a fun read, some of the stories are very strange, but very enticing. My favorite short story "the psychiatrist", is very fun. I love the story, and it is brilliant the way the writer comments on human nature through statements and storyline. I also loved "The Third Bank of the River". It's a very creative story, giving you a little context, but you soon find out that it is written from the perspective of a family living in Egypt in the time of Moses, and how when the plagues hit, they di ...more
Chan Li
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love these collections of stories.... some are ok, some are those that you remember for a lifetime. Great introduction to several authors I had not known before.
Mari
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Mari by: College Professor
If you want to experience a sampling of some of the greatest Latin American authors out there, then you'll want to read this book. "The Frog's Mouth," though not the best story, is the one that I remember still after reading it almost 15 years ago. The book was an assigned reading from a Christian University that I attended, but the book proved to be a worthwile and entertaining read. What a treat!

=^..^=
mb
Amanda
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you want to experience Latin American culture, then this book is for you. I bought it because it was required for a Latin American Literature I was taking, ended up LOVING it!! "The Circular Ruins" by Jorge Luís Burgos, "Toads Mouth" by Isabel Allende and "The Gift" by Rosario Ferré are just some that stick out in my mind. Wonderful, wonderful book!
Morgan (Turbo)
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Well, this collection isn't 100% good. I'm only half way through and have only really enjoyed 4 of the short stories of this collection (including Jorge Amado, Julio Cotrázar, Murilo Rubião, and Isabel Allende). Most of the translations or pieces of writing themselves are old and stuffy. The few gems in this collection did hold me over though.
John
Jun 08, 2009 added it
great read, more amazing is that each story is a translation from original author's native tongue!/what I learned is what my Education did not cover... E.G. Characters from South and Central American countries vacation in Paris? who knew? Now Sino-japanese presence in this quadrant of the hemispheremake a wee bit more sense;-)
Ashley
May 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A terrific collection of Latin American fiction. Introduced me to a number of exceptionally talented authors I'd never heard of and treated me to some stories from a number of ol' reliables. The Garcia-Marquez story--very brief--is breathtaking.
Elizabeth
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I like the way the short stories are organized geographically and are preceeded by the authors biographies.
Shannon
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Lush. Some of the very best of Latin American modern short stories.
Eric