Start by marking “The Man Who Would Be Queen: The Science of Gender-Bending and Transsexualism” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Would Be Queen: The Science of Gender-Bending and Transsexualism

The Man Who Would Be Queen: The Science of Gender-Bending and Transsexualism

Gay. Straight. Or lying. It� (TM)s as simple and straightforward as black or white, right? Or is there a gray area, where the definitions of sex and gender become blurred or entirely refocused with the deft and practiced use of a surgeon� (TM)s knife? For some, the concept of gender � the very idea we have of ourselves as either male or female beings � is neither simple no ...more
Published March 10th 2003 by Joseph Henry Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Would Be Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Would Be Queen

Start your review of The Man Who Would Be Queen: The Science of Gender-Bending and Transsexualism
Imogen
Jul 03, 2010 rated it did not like it
You guys. Oh. My. God. Do you know this book? Okay, basically, this guy- J Michael Bailey- and a couple other people who blurb this book, or whom he cites in this book, they are in charge of deciding how to frame and classify transsexuality in the upcoming DSM V, ie the official Dungeon Master's Guide of Psychology. Okay.

So, notoriously, to anyone who cares at all about trans people, these folks are clearly wingnuts. But since they have PhDs in psychology from respectable schools, and people wh
Sharad Pandian
I read this book because it set off a massive controversy involving some transgender activists, as well as parts of the medical establishment, and I'll try to talk about why later on. Overall, the book reads like a pop-science review of the culture and science of gay men, intersex individuals, and trans people. The feature that stands out throughout the book is Bailey's willingness to take seriously connections between gender identity, sexuality, and associated stereotypes.

To understand how the
Seaby Brown
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The importance of a book is measured in how it encourages people to think about and discuss, even if they don’t agree… maybe especially if they don’t agree… on its thesis.

The main thesis of TMWWBQ is that homosexuality and gender atypicality are highly correlated. Most of the book is about the scientific research that has shown that the folk-wisdom (sounds better said that way than “stereotype”) that gay men were usually notably “sissy” or “effeminate” as boys and that most “sissy” boys grow up
everypiece
It reads like a puff piece in the Daily Mail and is about as scientifically rigorous. If you want to learn about trans women you'd be better off banging a wooden spoon on a bucket: you will learn just as much of use and relevance, and you'll make a fun noise.
Pete
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, nonfiction
The Man Who Would be Queen: The Science of Gender - Bending and Transsexualism (2003) by Michael Bailey is a fascinating book that looks at sexuality and transgenderism from the scientific viewpoint. It's a highly controversial book that has seen Bailey viciously targeted because many people don't like the theories it puts forward for political reasons.

Bailey starts the book with the story of Danny, a boy who as a two year old liked to dress in women's clothing and play with dolls. Bailey says t
May 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
i don't think anyone can succinctly describe how loathsome this book is but here are some quick bullet points:
* J. Michael Bailey is 100% certain he knows the entire history of every person he meets including their gendered behavior as a child [he has perfect stats at Gaydar, Transperson Detecting]
* J. Michael Bailey quite probably manipulated his findings by writing recommendations for surgery for participants
* despite this book being labeled as science the only reason J. Michael Bailey wasn't
Daniel Berger
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is gathering rather strong opinions. I'm a physical scientist, and the standard of evidence in psychology is necessarily looser because people are not as well-behaved as atoms and molecules. But some of the negative critiques have a distinct flavor of gored oxen, quick-fried to a crackly crunch.

I don't have the background in psych to judge the standard of research quality or the state of the art. But I did observe these things:

* Bailey is typically careful to distinguish between his o
Seth
Jan 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
In the opening chapter, Bailey writes about meeting a man named Edwin, who is very feminine. Bailey says that he knows what Edwin was like as a child - played with dolls, hated sports, teased for being a sissy, etc. He also says that he knows that Edwin likes men, and that it is very likely that he will transition to female in the future. But he doesn't ask Edwin about any of these things - he doesn't need to, because he's a psychologist and he's done tons of research on these kinds of things!

T
Gwen
Apr 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Here's an idea: if you're going to write a book about transgender people, how about you treat them respectfully?

The author starts out with a discussion about Edwin, a person he met for a few seconds. In those few seconds, the author has miraculously understood the entirety of Edwin's past and has 100 percent accurately foretold Edwin's future. Edwin is a feminine gay man, according to Bailey. Edwin likes to have sex with men. Bailey knows what type of person Edwin is sexually attracted to. Baile
Gwern
Sep 08, 2013 added it
Difficult to review, or even just rate.

I found some of the claims interesting, but I feel too ignorant of the topic to venture any opinion at all on the book or its claims. The fact that Bailey was trying to write a popularization or 'pop science' work which focuses on anecdotes rather than precise technical description of research means that I can't evaluate the claims on their own merits, either.

Finally, after reading the 62-page-long compilation of papers on the controversy I was deeply appal
Amy
Aug 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Oh, Professor Bailey! This book has caused much controversy and headache for my human sexuality professor. I like him, and I think this book is decent. It's anecdotal research on different cases of transexualism and theories regarding how it develops, why, and the differences are between 2 main types of transexualsim. Good read if you want to open your eyes to a mindset/'condition' you never think twice about.
I read this book partly because I'm mulling over the issue in my own mind, but mostly in preparation for Alice Dreger's Galileo's Middle Finger: Heretics, Activists, and the Search for Justice in Science for which book Bailey's book was the catalyst.

I haven't finished Dreger's book yet, but I agree with her assessment of this book in that you do get the sense that Bailey really wants the people he writes about to be happy while at the same time having absolutely no clue about how tone deaf some
David
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall an interesting read. The author adopts an authoritative voice in areas perhaps where more circumspection might be called for. I do appreciate where the author is explicit in his speculations, but there are points where that is less clear. I remain skeptical of the whole definition of autogynephilia, it just seems absurd in some ways, but maybe I'm not understanding his definition. Would it be possible that this is not an eroticization of being or dressing as a woman, but some other inner ...more
John
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
A book my brother recommended with the disclaimer of biased science. I actually really enjoyed it and found many of Bailey's arguments fascinating. I would recommend it it anyone who has an interest in gender or queer theory. Apparently this book has caused a great deal of controversy. See:

Chrissy
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short and very clear read, where anecdote and evidence-based science were clearly separated. I thought it was extremely sympathetic to its subjects, and allowed space for you (as a reader) to think about existing and possible responses to gender non-conformity in natal males.

I read this after Galileo's Middle Finger and was glad I did so. I hope Mr Bailey writes something similar about natal females.
Steven
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great, honest, take on something that people lie about endlessly.
Claire
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: gender
I decided to read this after listening to an episode of physicist Sean Carroll’s podcast with Alice Dreger about (among other topics) possible tensions between the search for (uncomfortable) truth and for justice. Dreger brought up the controversy between Bailey and the transgender activist community caused by this book, and I was intrigued to learn whether this was really an example of truth being suppressed by activism or something else.

Positives first: I do think the book has some redeeming q
Sue
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
I find the topic fascinating, and it is interesting to read the different perspectives of researchers, I found the authors assertions at time insulting, un-researched ("Well, my gay friends say this, and they must speak for EVERY SINGLE GAY MAN IN AMERICA!"). Other times the theories he put forth were of the "well, duh" variety. Perhaps I've read too much in this vein, but little of the content was new information for me.
Andel Bailey
Apr 10, 2010 rated it liked it
With me being very open to my sexuality I decided to read this book. I've been with both men and women and remain open to the idea that love comes in different forms. I'm willing to accept and embrace that idea. Although I am against transgender. I believe when a person is born into this world, no matter their differences, they should accept who they are. It scares me to think of the technology we have today. One can literally change anything they don't like about themselves physically...fuck!
Marsmannix
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
presents the "other side" of "transgender" from a man who had sex reassignment surgery, has lived decades in "the life" and speaks the truth. S/he doesn't flinch from the sad consequences, while placing her choice in context of history.
This is fraught subject that needs the author's perspective on what is a medical problem. A point that has been lost in the politicization of individual's health choices.
jjonas
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, feminism
This is not really a science book, it's a book where a sex researcher talks out loud. He's an expert (doesn't mean everyone agrees with him), so it's not that he's just babbling, but he's also putting lots of intuitions and bets out there. "We don't know, but I bet it's like this", that kind of thing, it's very common here.

Fair enough, but I would have preferred much less personal talk, less about what he guesstimates how things might be, less about what the various gay and transsexual people he
Lily
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The researches cited in the book as well as Bailey's intuitions (sometimes put too raw and I understand that they may not look plausible to those readers who haven't been around transsexuals folks) did coincide with mine. I enjoyed reading something as sobre and like-minded (like mindedness here comes from a genuine implicated being on the side of LGBT communities along with escaping the political correctness beyond reason).

It is a pity Bailey has had to adopt the tone of a debate in this book,
windrangers
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Interesting at times but often verging on voyeuristic. At times Bailey shows a clear (and commendable) sympathy for (to use his term) "transsexual" people, but this often gets buried over by his tendency to leer and gawk at them. The worst parts by far are when he is most reductive: Bailey tends to apply Blanchard's typology in such a way that either the individual fits the typology or they must be lying about their life. The best parts are the case studies (at least when Bailey stops making wei ...more
Jordyn Banks
Feb 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have to give Bailey credit. He wrote, "it is not surprising that the typical television viewer has only superficial knowledge about transsexuals when many 'experts' who make their livings working with them do not understand transsexuals very well." (p. 143). Then spent the rest of the book proving that very point. So assuming that was his thesis, this is excellent work.
Stefanie
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
4,7 ⭐ Analytical & empathetic (bordering on admiration) of/for transwomen. Certain people on the social medias won't like his conclusions. I find them very plausible & it helpes me understand the different paths of transwomen better. ...more
Ezra Bellwood
Aug 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Unscientific. That’s all I have to say.
Rat
May 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
vile. bailey misrepresents the trans experience, and fundamentally fuels hatred against trans folks. please listen to us, and not a cis man....
RB
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, ignore the haters – it's truly a good book. Bailey is an excellent writer and a friend to gay and trans people.
Molly Octopus
Oct 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Sep 7, 2018: I had rated this book highly after I first read it in 2013; I didn't know that an academic refutation had been published a few years prior. Watching this video ("Autogynephilia" by ContraPoints) [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6czRF...] completely changed my perspective on the theories presented by the author. By conflating a small minority of some individuals' experience to an entire group of diverse peoples' experiences, I believe the author and this book's underlying theories ar ...more
Jacob Hale
Sep 25, 2007 is currently reading it
Oh how I wish I didn't have to read this book! But I must, since I'm trying to think through my response to Alice Dreger's ginormous article on the controversy about Bailey's book. Her article is forthcoming in Archives of Sexual Behavior, and the preprint is available online:

• Clinical Management of Gender Identity Disorders in Children and Adults [Number 14]
  • Galileo's Middle Finger: Heretics, Activists, and the Search for Justice in Science
  • Unpacking Queer Politics: A Lesbian Feminist Perspective
  • The Velvet Rage: Overcoming the Pain of Growing Up Gay in a Straight Man's World
  • This Is What Inequality Looks Like
  • The Norton Reader
  • Excellent Sheep: The Miseducation of the American Elite and the Way to a Meaningful Life
  • The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye
  • Cowardice: A Brief History
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • Boys Like Us: Gay Writers Tell Their Coming Out Stories
  • Loud Poems For a Very Obliging Audience
  • On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction
  • Vasemmistoliiton synty
  • Gender Hurts: A Feminist Analysis of the Politics of Transgenderism
  • The New Class - An Analysis Of The Communist System
  • Let Us Dream
  • The Bashful Bride (Advertisements for Love, #2)