Start by marking “The Black Donnellys” as Want to Read:
The Black Donnellys

The Black Donnellys

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  229 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
"When that Donnelly glares at you, you hear the sound of shovels digging your grave."
-- Donnellys first victim How could one family -- mom, dad, and seven sons -- terrorize an entire Canadian community for 33 years? The Black Donnellys is the classic account of how James, Johannah and their sons used brute force to brawl, steal, burn, and murder their way into the dark si
Published March 1st 1994 by Firefly Books (first published August 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Donnellys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Donnellys

Thomas Ryerson
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Pure entertainment only, this story has no bearing to the true story. For the real truth, read The Donnelly Murders and both books by Orlo Miller. The Donnelly Volume by Ray Fazakas is also very very detailed.
Dennis Lester
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in school and had to buy it for my collection. I can sum it up pretty easy. This is the most fucked up family I have ever heard of in my life. They are a prime example of neighbors you don't want to have. I was blown away with the shit they got away with and for the amount of time they got away with it and I was shocked that it took as long as it did for everyone to grow a set and put them out of their misery once and for all. If you like a book about murder,theft, thugs, vandal ...more
Juanita
Aug 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
I read this book in my grade 10 class. I did not like this book at all. I found it very boring. I failed the unit because I barely paid any attention to it :) Although I did pass my English Class with a good mark. Also this unit was on our exam. I did not answer anything for this unit yet I got a higher mark on my exam than my friend. Its so funny cause he's still uppity about it. He he. My friend and I also did a "News Paper Project" on this book and we totally flunked it like majorly, because ...more
Nicole
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I came across it by chance. It was a recommendation for my kobo. I found it to be a well written and well told story. I had never heard of the Black Donnelly's (sadly), but it proved to be an interesting historical story on a family that lived outside of the London, Ontario area. I would recommend this book.
Lori
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
While the Story itself was really intresting, I felt like I was reading a test book. I found it very choppy heading back and forth in time and the dates in almost every 3rd line(it felt) was distracting. I still gave it a 3 though keeping in mind that it was written in 1954. Writing styles were different then.
R.L. Anderson
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! A real eye opener about a fascinating historical event that happened just 100 miles due north of where I live, right across Lake Erie in neighboring Ontario, Canada. This book really got me into Donnelly lore and on a trip to Canada, I was eager to visit the area where this feud took place.
T.R. Wallace
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All who enjoy history, a gruesome tale of retribution
Recommended to T.R. by: My loving wife who knows I love legal history or history of any kind for that matter.
WOW, a riveting historical, based on a immigrant Irish family and a 30 year feud with their community. I would because of content not recommend for preteen readers, {extreme violence} A relevant history of 19th century Canada. At 179 pages a good short read.
Barb
Aug 02, 2011 added it
A creepy part of Canadian history. Classic family feud story, that ends in senseless death.
Kim
Apr 03, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: canada
According to one review, "Canada's only exciting family". Clearly, they've never been to a Quinn family reunion...
Jenny LeBlanc
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it
It was interesting facts about how one family could have such a hold on a community.
  • On the Farm
  • The Freedom Summer Murders
  • Shipwrecks, Monsters, and Mysteries of the Great Lakes
  • Someone Else's Twin: The True Story of Babies Switched at Birth
  • The Nine Days Queen: A Portrait of Lady Jane Grey
  • Can You Hear the Nightbird Call?
  • Missing Sarah: A Vancouver Woman Remembers Her Vanished Sister