Start by marking “Biblical Words and Their Meaning: An Introduction to Lexical Semantics” as Want to Read:
Biblical Words and Their Meaning: An Introduction to Lexical Semantics

Biblical Words and Their Meaning: An Introduction to Lexical Semantics

When first published in 1983, Biblical Words and Their Meaning broke new ground by introducing to students of the Bible the principles of linguistics, in particular, on lexical semantics -- that branch that focuses on the meaning of individual words. Silva's structural approach provides the interpreter with an important lexical tool for more responsible understanding of th ...more
Published January 3rd 1995 by Zondervan (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Biblical Words and Their Meaning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biblical Words and Their Meaning

Mark Jr.
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Books on linguistics and biblical interpretation tend mostly to clear away accretions to our hermeneutical practices. You get done reading a book like this and you find yourself wishing it simply never had to be written. But people of the Book need to understand how its constituent parts—words—work.
Charlie
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biblical-studies
Here is a simple test for determining whether this book is for you. If the phrase "lexical semantics" in the subtitle frightens or repels you, don't read it. If the phrase excites you or at least pique your interest, you're about to enter a treasure trove of philological fun.
Dave Courtney
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Biblical Words and Their Meaning acts as an introduction to lexical semantics (as proposed in the title). There is a point in which Silva recognizes the tension found in the overwhelming accessibility of resources and scholarship that has done much of the work of lexical semantics for us (and on which most of remain dependent). This tension begs the question of exactly what sort of audience would benefit from this introduction. Is it targeting those who are pursuing a career in mastering the Bib ...more
Reinhardt
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction to lexical semantics and its limitations. Relegates a lot of exegesis to the dustbin of linguistics analysis. Things have improved in the 30 years since it was published, but you still see many of the same mistakes propagated.

The books looks at the strength and weaknesses of a conceptual vs linguistic approach and what each approach can or cannot do. Talks about he TDNT a lot, both its value and its blind spots. Provides an enlightening example of Spanish to English translatio
Ethan
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly technical application of developments within linguistics to the field of Biblical lexical semantics in terms of both Biblical Hebrew and Koine Greek.

The author is attempting to correct misunderstandings and misapprehensions based on past conceptions of linguistics and how language works and what words mean as well as explaining how linguistics and a more advanced understanding of lexical semantics can assist the Bible student and expositor in more effectively and accurately explaining w
E
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would read anything Silva has written. This work will not let you down. Note that is it narrow in scope: if you're interested in the exegesis of passages, the meaning of discourses, the interpretation of thoughts, clauses, or phrases, this may disappoint you. But it ought not, because all those units are based on words. And the meaning of words is what this work is all about. It is theoretical, light on application or case studies. In fact, in this second edition, Silva responded to that criti ...more
Charles Cole
Jul 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Biblical Words and Their Meaning

I was quite dissatisfied because I thought this was a book of word meanings. But it was a book discussing various authors philosophical approaches to word meanings. In graduate school I read some these authors. What are the possibilities of my receiving credit for this disappointing book?
Jesse
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm not going to lie, this book was not my favourite. Having said that, while my eyes were propped open to read it, it has really opened my eyes (try and exegete that sentence, I dare you). Really, really important ideas contained in this book, just not in my area of expertise so a wee bit beyond me. I reckon it probably deserves 5 stars, if I had really understood it.
Colin Smith
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who loves language must be attracted to the study of semantics. And if you love Biblical languages (like me), then the study of Biblical Semantics is very appealing. This book is absorbing, entertaining, and an excellent guide to this field of study.
Leandro Guimarães
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A needed corrective to much Greek exegesis and other text interpretation challenges. I hope to come back to this once I learn Koiné.
William Dicks
You can read a quick review of this book at my blog.
Josh
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: scripture
By no means an easy book. But useful to read. Here's my take away for the working pastor: if your interpretation of the passage rests on the nuance of a single word, be concerned…
Ryan
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A book that helps one thing about how they should translate various Biblical words. A good reminder to not just blindly take the definitions provided in the Lexicon.
Theodros
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every pastor and teacher who interprets and teaches the bible must read this if he wants to feed his sheep
Ian Spencer
Christopher Wehrle
Jul 25, 2015
Samuel Bierig
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I see why this was a game changer type book. It is somewhat technical, but yet very helpful in its overall thrust. If you're interested in the subject matter, then this is a systemic piece. Tolle lege
Diego Ramos
Josh Wilson
Apr 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Lexical Aids for Students of New Testament Greek
  • The Hermeneutical Spiral: A Comprehensive Introduction to Biblical Interpretation
  • Greek New Testament
  • Exegetical Fallacies
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics: An Exegetical Syntax of the New Testament
  • A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament & Other Early Christian Literature
  • New Testament Exegesis: A Handbook for Students and Pastors
  • Apostolic Preaching of the Cross. Revised.
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
  • An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon
  • The Book of Leviticus (New International Commentary on the Old Testament)
  • A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament
  • Toward an Exegetical Theology: Biblical Exegesis for Preaching and Teaching
  • Three Views on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • The Epistle to the Romans
  • From Paradise to the Promised Land: An Introduction to the Pentateuch
  • The Theology of the Book of Revelation
  • Basics of Biblical Greek Workbook
Moisés Silva (PhD, University of Manchester) has taught biblical studies at Westmont College, Westminster Theological Seminary, and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. He lives in Litchfield, Michigan.