Start by marking “The Walking Dead, Vol. 12: Life Among Them” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead, Vol. 12: Life Among Them

The Walking Dead, Vol. 12: Life Among Them (The Walking Dead #12)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  17,594 Ratings  ·  496 Reviews
At long last, the survivors of Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard's acclaimed post-apocalyptic survival adventure find the hope they've longed look for. Can a town not yet ravaged by the horrors unleashed on Earth possibly be all it's hoped for? Is there a far more sinister secret behind their newfound safe haven?
Published July 21st 2010 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Vol. 12, please sign up.

Emily Scott The show is based off of the comic book series! It doesn't follow it exactly of course, but not many media adaptations do.

Now who should be afraid of who?!

This is the twelfth volume of The Walking Dead, collecting the comic book issue from #115 to #120.

Creative Team:

Writer: Robert Kirkman

Illustrators: Charlie Adlard

Additional gray tones to inking: Cliff Rathburn

Chapter Twelve

I’m really good good with a gun… …Very goddamn good. It’s kind of ridiculous.

Welcome to Alexandria.

Rick’s group is now in a whole new situation... in a civilized community.

And this can be ironically as unsettled a
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
I gotta be honest. I’m absolutely terrified about the upcoming AMC series based on these Walking Dead comics.

I’m not scared of the zombies. It’s the idea that Frank Darabont is doing the show. Sure, to most people he’s the guy who had Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman get busy livin’ instead of gettin’ busy dying in Shawshank Redemption. Or he’s the guy who directed Tom Hanks getting choked up as he was about to roll on two in The Green Mile. But to me, Darabont is the twisted bastard who came up w
Bookdragon Sean
It always amazes me how these idiots managed to survive for so long. The original inhabitants of Alexandria don’t even have so much as a look-out. All their weapons are safely locked away, and the people walk round care free. It’s like it isn’t even a zombie apocalypse. It’s a little ridiculous. Certainly, you could argue that they’ve had good luck, but that can only go so far. For me, it felt like sloppy storytelling.

Surely they would have encountered some enemies by now? They quickly turn up
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, z2016
This comic is so addictive! Alexandria...hmmm. I don't watch the TV show but I have a few friends that do and so I know bits and bobs about what goes down in Alexandria. The comic is obviously going to be different but I have a bad feeling about these people. They seem too good to be true and I think they have a dark secret. I love Carl and Rick. Their relationship is great and so complex. I'm so excited to see what happens next because I'm so addicted to this comic!
So the folks have finally found what appears to be a safe harbor and a community of people who are not overt psychopaths... That doesn't mean they're not secret psychopaths though, so nobody is letting their guard down just yet.

I liked this volume for showing Carl's growth and the way he's relating to his dad. I know that he is only a kid, but hes been through some shit and I love the way that hes helping Rick to heal from the shit HE'S been through.

Now in this new place, they are trying to fi
WrensReads Review:

Seriously, seeing these people trying to be normal was hilarious. Michonne in a dress? Rick without a beard? Rosita with her hair not in pigtails? It was funny.

You meet Aaron and some other people in Alexandria. Not much different from the show besides that the girl running the place is actually a man who hits on Andrea who was dead in the show but in the comics is still mourning her recently deceased husband who was too old her for and....

well, I
Sam Quixote
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
As the group head towards Washington D.C., the truth about Eugene the scientist comes out, and they meet another group of seemingly friendly survivors who’re living in a walled-off community just outside the capitol – a peaceful and safe oasis in the midst of all the chaos! But as Rick and co. finally find a semblance of their old lives in the stationary houses, hot showers, clean clothes, regular meals, and no zombies, is everything as cosy as it seems? And can they adapt to a comfortable exist ...more
Alexandria! This volume was a bit slower paced and less exciting than the previous ones but I still enjoyed it a lot. I like that Rick is extremely skeptical of everybody he meets now and he doesn't trust anybody. I can't blame him after all the shit he's been through over the last year since the apocalypse started. But I really like Alexandria so far. It seems like a true sanctuary. I think it's interesting how in these comics the leader is a man named Douglas, and in the show it's run by a wom ...more
Drew The Reviewer
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a less action packed volume but the new characters are crazy! They are like the Stepford Wives living in a world full of zombies. They are delusional and I can't figure out why they have such a positive personality. I loved the foreshadow in this installment.
Arielle Walker
Oh, I love where this is all going! The Stepford-esque civilisation, the undertones of something utterly wrong... Am I noticing non-existent things, or were there another child with a black eye during the party? I'm sensing a violent undercurrent somewhere. Also, the act of pretending everything is fine is just plain creepy, not to mention stupid. I'm with Michonne on that one. The series is really revving up again, this plot line has so much potential!
Ayman Gomaa
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
To sum up i am addicted , i just cant stop reading it xD
my favorite comics ever , this volume was good actually , a little bit slow but huge events happened and finally break from some actions and blood .
i call this volume " Aaron for the rescue " coz he is really helpful , after things messed up with Andrea , same with Abraham and Eugene after they found he is laying and was not a surprise at all .
they finally reach Alexandria xD , ya they act like they live in another world but Rick and his
Evelyn Swift (Featherbrained Books)
Loved this!! I wasn't expecting the comic to take this turn and I wonder if the TV series will go in this direction as well. It seems like they blended this storyline and woodbury together in the TV series, but I am really curious to see what happens with this town. The "governor" of this town seems a bit creepy but definitely not even close to how crazy and creepy the governor from Woodbury was.

Also have I mentioned how much I love Michonne? The scene with the "housewives" was so perfect.

And wh
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies-invade
So in this issue we find out Eugene was lying about the mission. Well that lying bastard! But that was a damn good lie and it kept him alive. So who can blame him.
Now what happens in the comics does not necessarily happen on the tv show. We have some of the same characters and some of the same scenes. But most of what is in the comics does not end up on the tv show. Which I like cause I feel like I am not spoiling the show on tv.
This is actually my first time ever reading comics. And LOVE them
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Ah I shoulda known that Kirkman was gonna duck out of explaining how the zombies came to be!!

Not a whole lot happens, other than the gang is offered a chance to live in a commune, and they accept. Things seem to be too good to be true - but are they or is Rick paranoid?

One of the better volumes, in my opinion. These guys need to catch a break SOMETIME.
Nicole Alycia
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
So far this part is going more or less like it did in the show with a few minor changes ...
Michelle Curie
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Things are picking up again! After a few volumes in which things were mildly interesting, but not truly gripping, I put Life Among Them down with the feeling of actually wanting to know how the story will continue.

As per usual our group is on the run, this time starving and lost. The theme of humans being the real evil is further talked about, which might not be a new concept, but thinking about it still makes me feel uncomfortable.

"There is evil in the world... Always was, long before it cam
T.W. Brown
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The most recent installment of the graphic novel series, The Walking Dead: Life Among Them, might be one of the most layered and plot-heavy episodes in the story so far. I say might because you can never tell where Robert Kirkman may go next.

After the gut-wrenching and sad moments of episode eleven, Fear the Hunters, the story takes one of its menacing breaths. I say this based on past experience. Readers of this series know what I am saying. Kirkman is superb at the ‘calm before the storm’ tact
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Everything about this storyline has the hairs on the back of my neck standing up - a peaceful community, want to invite us to audition, going to rescue some of theirs, everything too good,to be true? Kirkman plays a dangerous game with this book - playing to his strengths of sincere dialogue and characters who don't feel all that well developed yet, with an underlying subtle plot line that keeps us on the edge of our seats.

He's actually doing an admirable job of keeping the reader unsure whethe
Volume 12 of the juggernaut that is The Walking Dead takes a necessary break from the action to slow down and introduce a range of new characters for Rick and his not-so-merry band of survivors to bounce off. Most of this volume is set up, with very little in the way of pay off, so the most interesting aspect for me was comparing and contrasting the TV show with this source material.

So, for this reader, Life Among Them was a middle of the road volume that did what it had to do and no more.

3 Opp
4 Stars

Hello, Aaron! *waves*

Good grief! I have a decision to make here... I am almost caught up with the TV Show! Do I continue or stop when we get to the TV shows finale??

decisions, decisions... *weeps*

Oh, sorry. Did you expect more?? You shouldn't if you are a fan of the show or comics. You know what's up.
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to Alexandria!!

With a few exceptions this follows the T.V. show more than I was expecting. I think Carl is my favorite in this volume. He seemed like the first one to think the Alexandrian's were idiots.

Can't stop! On to Vol. 13!!
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quando si pensa a festeggiare halloween, mentre intanto lì fuori c'è la fine del mondo.
Per non fare confusione, in ogni caso, io non mi travestirei da zombie.
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Another extremely well written volume and the artwork was great as usual. This is one of my favorites, definitely in the top 3. Rick and company are led to a walled community that seems to good to be true. Man this series is fantastic, might end up being my all time favorite. Highly recommend!
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was the best volume of the series since I started reading this. It was pretty much adapted shot for shot in the tv show and while I still think the show is 10x better than the series, this was pretty good.

This is the story of how the group end up in Alexandria. Instead of it being led by a woman, it's led by Douglas because, without the influence of female writers, Kirkman only puts men in charge. Still, Douglas is interesting. He's a creeper and I'm sure that's gonna come back in a bad wa
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Me encanta como se mezcla la acción con la psicología. Si bien en la serie este aspecto está más explorado podemos ver que en los cómics también es importante, sobretodo en momentos como este.
On the one hand, it's a very good thing Rick and Co. have found a new seemingly safe place they can stay, possibly permanently. On the other, it feels like just another way that Kirkman will give us false sense of security, only then to pull it from under us with something that's somehow worse than anything that's come before. The characters also seem to feel the same way.

It's been a couple of weeks since the incident with the cannibals, and the survivors are out foraging for food when they are
Robert Beveridge
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Robert Kirkman, The Walking Dead: Life Among Them (Image, 2010)

As I write this, we are less than six weeks away from the premiere of the AMC adaptation of The Walking Dead, and the anticipation level is excruciating. Granted, at least half of us are already asking “are they going to screw this up as bad as CW did Legend of the Seeker?”, but you know the drill. And this is the atmosphere in which I (finally!) got my hands on Life Among Them, the twelfth book in the series. (I've had it on hold fr
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't know Alexandria was so close down the road. I thought it might be a thing starting with volume 20-ish, but I never imagined it as it actually is. I'm still a bit confused with the transition from Deanna to Douglas and I can't say I'm getting used to it, but I guess it will have to do.

I absolutely love Carl's development, as it is waaay better than Show Carl's. The scene when Michonne put her katana away almost made me cry, knowing how important and emotionally relevant that little piec
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
A slow little turn in the stories arc that will almost certainly lead to an unbelievable explosion in the next trade. This story has consistently had a wonderful build up and I have high expectations for the next one. It's always a juggle to properly introduce new characters into a story, and this story manages to make the new characters maddeningly non-descript which ratchets up the anxiety levels. Have our heroes finally found a moments peace? I think we can safely assume that there is no fuck ...more
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now, this is the sort of content that I signed up for.

Life Among Them finds our protagonists in strange situation in this issue. Finally getting to DC, they are offered an opportunity too good to be true. There's a community full of food, weapons, and secure housing - full of people who want them and only require they pull their own weight. This is what one might have hoped for in Woodbury, isn't it? Although Woodbury wore its faults on its sleeve, this community is something altogether differen
  • Chew, Vol. 3: Just Desserts
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, #7)
  • Revival, Vol. 4: Escape to Wisconsin
  • American Vampire, Vol. 3
  • Locke & Key, Vol 2: Head Games (Locke & Key, #2)
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 6: Homecoming
  • Fables, Vol. 11: War and Pieces
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 2: In Captivity
  • The Walking Dead Survivors' Guide
More about Robert Kirkman...

The Walking Dead (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99