Start by marking “Queens Noir” as Want to Read:
Queens Noir

Queens Noir

Brand-new stories by: Denis Hamill, Malachy McCourt, Maggie Estep, Megan Abbott, Robert Knightly, Liz Martínez, Jill Eisenstadt, Mary Byrne, Tori Carrington, Shailly P. Agnihotri, K.J.A. Wishnia, Victoria Eng, Alan Gordon, Beverly Farley, Joe Guglielmelli, and Glenville Lovell.

Includes the story "Bucker's Error," winner of the 2009 Edgar Award (Robert L. Fish Memorial Awar
Published January 1st 2008 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Queens Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queens Noir

Start your review of Queens Noir
Rita Varian
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Did it's job as an anthology. I really liked some of the stories but none of them knocked my socks off. A few were too cliche for me. It must have been very important to the editor that each story contains lots of details describing the Queens setting, which got repetitive. Subtlety in this area would not have made the cut. But I live in Queens, so instead of getting bored, I found myself rooting for each author as if I were an English teacher wanting to see the best in all my students while sti ...more
Bolivar
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book as I walked into the Astoria Bookshop. I wanted a book that would give me some insight on the borough I was born in and that would cover the diverse lifestyles one would encounter. So far this book has given me that. I live in South Florida, but lived in Queens when I was a kid. I always find time to head back and visit my old friends and family. This book has thus far, given me the insight I was after along with some tips on restaurants, neighborhoods, and the kinds of sto ...more
Michael Lewyn
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
The best of these stories were very entertaining, and supplied a lot of local color. However, I do think the anthology as a whole was a bit too long for my tastes, and some stories were much more engaging than others.
Mary
Oct 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Good format and well chosen short fiction pieces. I've just ordered the San Francisco Noir book.
Mark
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This potent mix of short fiction is an enticing tour of the dark side of New York City's largest borough. The editor's introduction perfectly mirrors the tone of the entire collection--entertaining, educational and representing an appealingly broad diversity. This approach is also reflected in the stories themselves. Though all the stories have crime in common, how that criminal element is incorporated in each them is as varied as the stories themselves. The borough also seems to be an intregral ...more
Peggy
Sep 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Oh geez. I finished this book awhile back (Sept/Oct?). It was good. Being in California, I liked reading about Queens (my home!)--all its neighborhoods and all their characteristic detail.

This was my first noir, and I found some of the stories a little too dark and disturbing, but after awhile, that darkness kind of grows on you. I'd be interested in reading other noir.
Kelley
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you like a book about New York, Queens in particular, this is it. It opens you up to all of the Queens cultures. The Island kin, Asian, Hispanic, Irish... It also introduces you to what Queens in known for... The Mets and its diversity.
Rebecca
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
It captured the spirit of queens so faithfully I was moved as a local queens girl, but the stories were hit or miss. Most seemed rushed, confusing or not noir enough. Notable exceptions include "last stop, ditmars" and "viernes loco."
Rowan
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who like short stories, noir fiction and Queens
great collection of short noir fiction spread across the many neighborhoods of Queens.

i can't say there wasn't a story i didn't like. great book.
Sjfstudio
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-york-themed
Liked this one alot, thanks Teri for passing it along. Recognized a lot of places sited in the book, which added to my enjoyment of this book.
Armand
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very entertaining book. I like it a lot.
Terry
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Queens and I love noir and I loved this book.
Seán
Jan 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Much better than the Bronx Noir entry in the Akashic series. QUEENZ LYFE!
Andrew
Mar 14, 2011
Jill Eisenstadt
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
K.C. Saney
Jane
May 07, 2017
Suejin
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
meh. read half the stories. out of those a few of them were good.
Camila
Nov 16, 2018
Larissa
Jun 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Calling (Luther, #1)
  • Headhunters
  • The Holocaust Averted: An Alternate History of  American Jewry, 1938-1967
  • Seaside Manor Bed and Breakfast (Emerald Cove Book 2)
  • Lavender Blue Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery #21)
  • Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy, #1)
  • Outliers: The Story of Success
  • Buppies, B-boys, Baps, And Bohos: Notes On Post-soul Black Culture
  • One Woman Short
  • Hip Hop America
  • The Crowded Grave (Bruno, Chief of Police #4)
  • Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption
  • Swell
  • The Girl with Kaleidoscope Eyes (Stewart Hoag Mystery, #9)
  • Bruno, Chief of Police (Bruno, Chief of Police #1)
  • Best Sex Writing 2008