Start by marking “Dexter Is Delicious (Dexter, #5)” as Want to Read:
Dexter Is Delicious (Dexter, #5)

Dexter Is Delicious

(Dexter #5)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  17,606 ratings  ·  1,163 reviews
The newest novel in the New York Times bestselling series that inspired Showtime's #1 hit, Dexter. Jeff Lindsay now delivers his most macabre, witty, and purely entertaining new adventure for America's dark defender.

Dexter Morgan's happy homicidal life is undergoing some major changes. He's always live by a single golden rule - he kills only people who deserve it. But the
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 350 pages
Published September 7th 2010 by Doubleday Books

To ask other readers questions about Dexter Is Delicious, please sign up.
Steve None of them. After the first season the novels and the TV show had completely different plots.

·  17,606 ratings  ·  1,163 reviews

Start your review of Dexter Is Delicious (Dexter, #5)
Jayson
(B+) 78% | Good
Notes: I'm torn between appreciating the cleverness and intricacy of its plot and disliking the implications of the end reveal.
Childfree Chic
Oct 01, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Joseph Thomas
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Don't get me wrong, I still reccomend this book and the Dexter series as a whole is one of my favorite series.

Let's just get down to it shall we? The reason I rate this so low is probably because my expectations were set higher by the previous books. The Dexter in this book is NOT the Dexter I have come to love reading about.

In Dexter is Delicious, new Daddy Dexter is faced with horrors far more gruesome than serial killers and Rapists. No, I am not talking about the coven of cannibals either.
Edward Lorn
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller and serial killer fans
Recommended to Edward by: John
Day Five/Book Five of my Dexter Morgan Marathon is now complete. I almost didn't make it, friends and neighbors. I don't know how I'm going to pull off the next two books by Monday morning. Wish me luck...

Anyfuck, here we are, at Book Five, and this is as far as I made it in the series the first time I read through it. I have not read Double Dexter or Dexter's Final Cut, so I am excited to see how terrible they are. I keed, I keed... I'm sure they have the same dark sense of humor and unbelievab
Ria
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5stars
gif
gif

‘’I want to be slowly roasted while I’m still alive and can still watch these people chew me up…’’
I find cannibalism, vorarephilia and shit like that hella interesting so i guess that is mostly why i loved this....please don't question my interests... People are saying that this is their least favourite one, *which I think is BS because book 3 exists 🍵* so I may just be blinded by my interest in cannibalism.
Vivian
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: suspense, library
You'd think with cannibalism it would have been more exciting.

Sure it had the fun slice and dice of knife play, but frankly it was less artistic and lacking in the panache that Dexter has perfected. More like getting a dish called "rustic" when all it really means is that the sous chef has the prep skills of a blind monkey, not a beautifully prepared plate. It lacked the cleverness that I expect from Dexter, there's a few zingers, but in general there's a high degree of stupidity in this episod
Alex
May 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
The only book in the Dexter Series I have detested and had to force myself to finish.

Sadly the serial killer I have grown a huge attachment to lost his edge. And began to mirror the characterization of his wife on the television show. I could not stand Dexter the entire novel, his whole idea to fly straight killed me. This was not a further advancement in the character's plotting or personality, no this was something else. I cannot even try to give this a name. Dexter who is normally a smart, c
Albert Riehle
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
I swore, after reading the last of Jeff Lindsay's Dexter books, that I'd never read one again. I swore the series off. I gave up on Jeff Lindsay. Then I read this book. Now, I'm really, really, really, really, really, really, really upset with myself for not listening to myself!

Is it really a spoiler alert when the plot of this book is the EXACT same as the plot of the last book and the one before that and the one before that? The first book in this series is brilliant. It's what inspired the S
Robert J. Sullivan
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
There’s a Venn diagram on the web that shows two circles that almost completely overlap. The first is labeled “Things you shouldn’t laugh at”, the second is labeled “Things I think are funny”, and the intersection is labeled “Reasons I’m going to hell.” Enjoying Dexter probably falls into the third category. If you can put aside your moral qualms about sympathizing with a serial killer, this is fun.

Dexter Morgan is a family man, with a wife, two stepchildren and a new daughter, and a job with th
Hayat

What happened to my beloved serial killer. The dark passenger who preys on sick bastards who love to destroy innocent people. Dexter has changed. Maybe it is becoming a husband, step father and a new dad but whatever it is has made him ordinary, boring and indecisive. It destroyed his uniqueness. I want the old Dexter back and at one with his dark passenger! Without the real Dexter, this series turns into just another detective murder mystery novel and that is such a shame.

BTW, what is the matte
Alisa Kester
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers, mysteries
Dear darling Dexter,

Distressed, I desired that daddyhood not deprive you of your dark deviation. It's all very diverting for TV-Dexter to have (shudder) feelings, but not for you, dark, depraved book-Dexter! This deviation into devotion was a disturbing digression not desired!

But now, data fully devoured, I deem your detour not dissatisfying, and in fact, delightful. I dined upon it with dedicated dispatch, and was disheartened to reach the denouement, and be denied further developments in the
Mauoijenn
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Certainly not my favorite out of the series.
I love the series don't get me wrong. But this one was the least of my favorites.
I felt Dexter was cheated in this book, for some reason I came away from this with that feeling.
Maybe he could have done things better or even worse, in his victims eyes.
Oh well. Can't wait for another. :)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dexter Is Delicious (Dexter, #5), Jeff Lindsay
Claudette Melanson
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this next installment of the Dexter series. The cannibal storyline was very interesting and went in a different direction from the rest of the other books.

Dexter grows a lot emotionally in this book, and it is very interesting to see how he wrestles with new feeling his has since the birth of his daughter. The writing is quite humorous in several places, as when his sister Debs is behind the wheel,driving like a maniac through Miami traffic. Unlike the show, Dexter's brother, B
Tara Moss
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
You may already be familiar with Dexter, the award-winning TV series about happily homicidal Dexter Morgan — blood splatter expert with Miami PD and secret serial killer of serial killers. The original and improbable premise of a psychopathic serial killer ‘good guy’ works with surprisingly entertaining results. But whether or not you are a fan of the TV series, the novels by Jeff Lindsay are simply not to be missed. This is where you get pure Dexter in first person:

'My conscience is as clean a
Vikas
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nbtr
Wonderful, delicious tale where Poor Dexter has to fight against Vampires and Cannibals and for the third book straight he doesn't come up on top. But the story sure was interesting, yucky and strange and Dexter was present in all his glory it's just that like the TV series book Dexter is also surprised to find himself caring for a new bundle of joy in his new born daughter and he wants to put away the dark passenger away forever, but alas there is no rest for the poor restless Dexter. Poor Deli ...more
Pete Denton
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the fifth book in the Dexter series.

I always judge a book by whether or not the story stays with me after I’ve finished reading. When I decided to start writing book reviews I made the conscious decision to wait a few days after I’d finished a book to let the story wash over me a little. Some stories you forget about, but this is not one of them. This story just keeps coming back and certain scenes keep popping into my mind. I like it when they do that.

This book’s written in the first pe
Jess
Mar 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite of the whole series. Issue #1: What happened to the narrator Nick Landrum? He did such a fabulous job bringing Dexter and his world alive that changing the voice, even to the author's, is so jarring. No wonder from that first sentence on, Dexter never seemed to pick up his likability that he had (and Landrum pulled off so well) from the other books...

Issue #2: What happened to the confident and intelligent Dexter that we read about in the other four books? The charm of the who
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As any Dexter fan will know by this point in the series the television series headed in a completely different direction to the books and the birth of his daughter, rather than his son as in the television series, may have a few people doing a double take. Do not let such a thing put you off; the birth of Dexter’s daughter in this book is a real turning point.

Dexter’s life as a serial killer seems questionable now that he is the proud father of a beautiful baby girl. Throughout we see a whole ne
Meagan Williams
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dexter books are becoming predictable however still a good read. I've fallen in love with the characters all over again and enjoy the dark humor and elegant storytelling from Dexter himself.
Katy
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: twisted souls
Book Info: Genre: Thriller/Police Procedural
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: twisted people
Trigger Warnings: murder, cannibalism

My Thoughts: So, this is the last book in the series that I've read before, and I actually bought a first-edition hardcover of this one, which is very nice of course. I'm very excited now to move on and read the two books I haven't yet read.

Watching Dexter falling hopelessly in love with his daughter was quite a thing. However, seeing Astor and Cody's reaction to Br
Susan
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Dexter Is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay Note: If you have seen the TV show based on this series, then you can probably jump into this book as a stand alone. If you haven’t seen the show or read other books in the series, then I don’t think this would work well as a stand alone novel.
Dexter Morgan, forensics crime scene expert, is a new daddy, his wife having just delivered their daughter Lily Anne. But before Dexter can settle into a daily snuggling, feeding, burping routine, he’s being pulled out o
LATOYA JOVENA
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Rita on the tv show was annoying but Rita in the book series is a babbling brain-dead bimbo. Also I’m a little tired of the hot guy being dumb. Not my favorite book in the Dexter series.
Ryan
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: hardcore dexter fans only
Dexter is Delicious is more of what Jeff Lindsay gave us in the 4th book. Dexter is no longer the king of his own castle, as everyone pushes him in every direction possible. His new desire to do good for the sake of his newborn daughter, combined with his brother showing up, his sister requiring his presence every ten minutes on her case, and his neglected dark passenger, he just isn't himself any more. When I got through the novel, I really had the sense that I don't care about this character a ...more
Eyehavenofilter
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stabby-stabby
" I had not seen my brother since that memorable evening several years earlier when we had met, for the first time as adults, in a storage container in Port of Miami, and he had offered me a knife so I could assist him in the vivisection of his chosen playmate."
Dexter has now become a dad to the lovely Lily Anne, an 8 pound miracle child with wife Rita. Curiously his 'dark passenger ' seems to be on vacation and he makes several 'Dexter Daddy' mistakes, putting his family and himself in danger.
Cory
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it
I don't like the direction this series is going. Dexter has a baby, and is now wanting to decide to stop killing bad guys. The whole point of Dexter is to kill bad guys, and now the series is now just repeating itself with Dexter being put into bad situations by Debra, or other random people. It also annoys me that Rita cannot finish a single thought or sentence; I mean her dialogue, plus the dialogue of many others, is repulsive. Jeff Lindsay needs to get out of this ridiculous cycle of Dexter ...more
Richard Wright
Aug 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
What is this now, book five? It's a readable enough book, but Dexter is no longer the splendid beast who first enthralled me. A family man now, he's determined to quash his Dark Passenger, the whisperer in his head who drives him to kill. Without his lethal purpose, he's an aimless, self-absorbed clod, far removed from the clinical killer we took such guilty pleasure in adoring, and much of what made him fresh vanishes. The writing is passable, the plot interesting enough (as Dexter gets drawn i ...more
Donovan
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I love a good anti-hero...and Dexter serves it up beautifully. This series is simply written and drops a lot of the polish you will often see in other thrillers. Instead, it replaces it with a certain tongue-in-cheek cheesy quality that gives such a dark series a breath of fresh air.
If you like a thriller then you'll find this is one series that you'll fly through.
It's gripping, it's funny, it's a soap opera all wrapped up in a soft doughy package about a psychotic killer.

Plot ***Spoilers***
The
Kai Van
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I FINALLY FINISHED ANOTHER BOOK!! HUZZAHH!!

The first couple Dexter books are def the best. These last couple have been kinda *meh* if I'm being honest. The Dark Passenger is still kind of an eye rolling thing just like the last 2, but it's all entertaining enough to keep me reading. I still wanna read the rest of the series, but I think imma give it a bit before starting the 6th book.

I actually think I prefer the show to the books but I'm not sorry. :D
Kathy
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love how different this is from the TV series, so much darker.
Goodreads Librari...: Cover for Dexter is Delicious audiobook 4 18 Jul 29, 2016 07:43AM

• Dexter in the Dark
  • Los besos no se gastan
  • Westwind
  • Ghosts of Ascalon (Guild Wars, #1)
  • Jughead: The Hunger #4
  • The Last Quarry (Quarry #7)
  • Los amigos del crimen perfecto
  • Display of Power: How Fubu Changed a World of Fashion, Branding and Lifestyle
  • The Brand Within: The Power of Branding from Birth to the Boardroom
  • The Prospect of My Arrival
  • Quarry in the Middle (Quarry #9)
  • Road Rage
  • The Expanding Circle: Ethics and Sociobiology
  • All We Left Behind
  • Mujer sin blanca soltera busca
  • Ya está el listo que todo lo sabe
  • C'était la nuit (Era la noche)
  • Las orquídeas rojas de Shanghai
Jeff Lindsay lives in Florida with his wife, author Hilary Hemingway, daughter of Leicester Hemingway, Ernest Hemingway's brother.

Lindsay is best known for writing the Dexter series of novels. Several of his earlier published works include his wife as a co-author.

Jeff graduated from Middlebury College, Vermont, in 1975, and Celebration Mime Theatre's Clown School the same year. He received a doub

Dexter (8 books)
  • Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1)
  • Dearly Devoted Dexter (Dexter, #2)
  • Dexter in the Dark (Dexter, #3)
  • Dexter By Design (Dexter, #4)
  • Double Dexter (Dexter, #6)
  • Dexter's Final Cut (Dexter, #7)
  • Dexter Is Dead (Dexter, #8)