Start by marking “It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1)” as Want to Read:
It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1)

It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  51,723 Ratings  ·  1,881 Reviews
What if a woman who knows nothing about sports inherits a professional football team? The Windy City definitely isn't ready for Phoebe Somerville, the outrageous York knockout who’s taking over their home town team. And Phoebe is definitely not prepared for the Stars' head coach Dan Calebow, a sexist jock taskmaster with a one-track mind. This is the book that began it all ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published 1994

To ask other readers questions about It Had to Be You, please sign up.

Carmancita SanMartín No es necesario, son historias independientes, aunque hay personajes interrelacionados. Yo empecé por la novela 2ª de la serie y voy por la 5ª.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

◆ Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$ ◆

Humor: 4/5
Depth of the book: 5/5
POV: multiple, 3rd person
Triggers: (view spoiler)
Books with a similar theme: Hard to say. Just like KA, this author is in a league of her own.
I'll make this short and sweet. So, basically..

photo professor-mama-Fahimah-gay-network-spell-caster_zpslfh0vhb9.gif

This was absurdly absurd. But you know what?

photo giphy_zpsqyr3yxma.gif
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Windy City isn't quite ready for Phoebe Somerville—the outrageous, curvaceous New York knockout who has just inherited the Chicago Stars football team. And Phoebe is definitely not ready for the Stars' head coach, former gridiron legend Dan Calebow, a sexist jock taskmaster with a one-track mind. Calebow is everything Phoebe abhors. And the sexy new boss is everything Dan despises—a meddling bimbo who doesn't know a pigskin from a pitcher's mound.

Dan is alpha, opinionated, chauvanistic, th
Amy (Foxy)
***4.5 NOW stars***

You’re my only failure. My only failure, Phoebe.

Perfect book for getting in the spirit of the upcoming Super Bowl XLVIII (2/2/2014).

Phoebe is a sexy underestimated daughter of a football owner (Chicago Stars). When her father sudden dies she inherits his team. Unfortunately, her father’s “gift” wasn’t given out of kindness. Her father had always seen her as a failure and this opportunity to run the team was a test. She must win the championship or she will lose any inheritance
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't care that this book was first published 20 years ago. Actually I think that is why I thought it was FANFREAKINGTASTIC! Seriously, ladies you will absolutely love Dan Calebow. I sure did.

photo tumblr_inline_naayaqNmFH1rrosi0_zpslzgu7d2l.gif

I hope to get back to do a complete review because this book deserves one. RL is just a bit hectic at the moment.

This one is going on my favorites shelf and I will recommend it to everyone too! It was sexy, sweet and funny.

And Pooh....

photo tumblr_mxf1oaeFce1rziwwco1_500_zps4zqwyif1.gif

Lady Heather

What an amazing read, and although I don't often read sports-romance books (especially football..hey I'm Canadian if anything, I'd read a romance with hockey..Eh?..LOL) this was really good!

This happened a lot while reading this story

photo youknowyouhaveagoodbookwhen.jpg

I really, really, really liked Dan. I loved his complexity, strength, loyalty, gentleness, and his own desire for a HEA.
He is not what I'm used to in a 'hero', but he was written beautifully! He just seemed SO real, with many layers.
I was wonderful to read h
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
[image error]  photo tumblr_nej70pGreD1t5d99go1_500.jpg

What can I say? Another 5 star book? Most definitely!!! I’m starting to think Susan Elizabeth Phillips cannot write a bad book… either that or she has most definitely found the key to my heart. These books exemplify the delicate balance of intense emotion, witty dialogue and comic relief. I have nothing but high praise and giddy admiration for this author and her fabulous books.

[image error]  photo tumblr_ln7neiSUNx1qg6c3ko1_500.jpg

Phoebe Sommerville was a thirty-three year old outrageous Manhattan socialite, who
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just have no words to describe how much I loved this book. It was amazing! Maybe I was just in the right mood for this kind of read or maybe it really is a terrific read. I just know that apart from LK's Travises series, I had never, ever enjoyed a contemporary romance as much as I did this one and the Travises. And yes, it was that good for me. Well maybe not that good, lol, but definitely the closest I will ever find.

I loved Phoebe! She was an amazing heroine. Everything about her was so app

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Phoebe Summerville is like a cross between Elle Woods and Peg Bundy - she's rich, she's tacky, everyone writes her off as a dumb bimbo. However, she's quite a bit more clever and complicated than anyone gives her credit for, including her father, who disliked her so much that he decided to screw with her from beyond the grave: instead of being disinherited as per his original plan, he's giving her his football team, the Chicago Stars, for a
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Como no darle 5 estrellas a este libro??? Sencillamente ENAMORADA es lo que te deja este libro, que manera tiene SEP de escribir y crear historias, sobre todo en crear esos personajes masculinos inolvidables.. Me encanta SEP sin duda es una de mis escritoras favoritas porque no me canso de leerla y siempre me sorprende.

Dan.. Dan.. Creo que será difícil olvidarte!!! Definitivamente es de esos libros que valen la pena releerlos y nunca nunca te cansarías.. Que joya! A por más de ti SEP!! Gracias
Jane Stewart
It was so fun to be in this book.

I’ve read the paperback three times and recently listened to the audiobook. I laughed a lot the first time I read it. I didn’t laugh as much in subsequent reads because I knew what to expect, but I still loved it.

Phoebe’s mother died early and her father didn’t love her. He kept her away in boarding schools and camps. She was raped, but her father didn’t believe her. She creates a false front, looking and acting like a Marilyn Monroe-Mae West-blond-bombshell-bimb
Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog)
I owe a huge debt of gratitude to my friends Karen, Mo and Sharon for clogging my feed with updates of binge reading books by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Because of them I just may have found a new favorite author. I definitely discovered a delightful sports romance to add to my favorites bookshelf.

It Had to Be You is old-school romance at its finest and I’m not talking about the fact that it was written over 20 years ago. In fact, if it weren’t for some dated references (cassette tapes, VCR, a Wa
Absolutely fantastic read!!!

In fact, i might say, the best I ve read this year (and the book was first published almost over 20 years ago *facepalm* so, in my eyes, the words "it 's never too late" and "never say never" have a whole meaning...) considering the genre.

This book can't be presented through out the re-telling of the storyline, cause that would be impossible to do without spilling it all and spoiling, I m gonna stick to the old folks' saying: "less is more" 😉

But to appease my
Mentiría si dijera que no me ha gustado, pero no será un libro que releeré. Tiene toques que no me gustan, quizás con un toque machista. Nada exagerado, pero ese rol hombre-macho / mujer diva/madre... me ha fastidiado un pelín.
Más que todo por el motivo que él cambia de opinión (que no voy a desvelar)

Muy entretenido, no sé si seguiré con la serie, por ahora no me ha entusiasmado lo suficiente, la verdad.
Y, nada negativo puedo decir, bien escrito, con buen ritmo y engancha, interesante el mund

4 Stars! What started out as a book I thought I wasn't going to be too fond of, turned into a story I loved!

I read this entire series out of order. I started with Nobody's Baby But Mine, which was good, then Dream a Little Dream, which was excellent and my favorite in the series. Then it was on to Heaven, Texas, very good and funny, and now back to book one. So unlike me to do this, but hey, what can I say. Anyhoo, in those books you always hear about Phoebe and Dan Calebow, the owners of the St
To be honest, I have always been a huge fan of historical romance since it takes me to a time that is so completely different from the current times. However, after reading this little gem of a romance novel, I started to gain interest in the world of contemporary romance. “It Had To Be You” was the first romance novel I have read from author Susan Elizabeth Phillips and after I had read this book, I am definitely looking forward to reading more of her wonderful books! “It Had To Be You” is full ...more
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Necesito tranquilizar a mis hormonas para poder hacer lo más parecido a una reseña con sentido.
Lo malo, ahora voy a coger el libro de Bobby.
¡Te amo Dan!, ¡¿quieres ser mi quaterback personal?! O lo que quieras hacer de mi, sobre mi, encima de mi, a mi lado. No soy una mujer con perjuicios.
Pufff mejor paro y ya pondré algo más comedido (o no).

Habiendo tranquilizado mis hormonas, disfrutando mientras tanto con otra amena lectura (Bobby Tom), creo que ya soy capaz de escribir a
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Qué voy a decir yo de este libro. Yo, que soy una reketefan de la SEP...pues digo que, para mi, este libro es y siempre será una auténtica DELICIA, una pieza clave del ingenio de la SEP. Para mi es maravilloso.
Phoebe Somerville, la típica rubia explosiva, la ves y la juzgas a primera vista...Barbie explosiva que se come a los hombres con patatas. Nada es lo que parece y, por cosas de la vida, se encuentra frente a una situación inesperada y que n
"I disgraced MYSELF? Unless my memory’s faulty, you were the one who got evicted."

"I got ejected, not evicted. That was a football game, not a damn landlords’ convention."
Haha :)

I LOVE football, but I rarely read books about it for some reason. And it’s a weird thing to bother me, but I really don’t like it when there’s fake team names. Chicago Stars? Ugh, so fake. It puts me in the mindset of, Ugh, this makes everything feel so fake. I dunno. I’m weird.

Anyway, this book and I had a very
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He disfrutado un montón leyendola, al principio me costó cogerle el ritmo, ese mundo de testosterona y tan rudo del futbol americano no encaja conmigo pero al final tiene su que, supongo que hay esta la magia de esta escritora, de un mundo que me hace MEH conseguir que me enganche y sufrir con ese final de partido de infarto.

La pareja protagonista tiene mucha química, Phoebe es mi personaje preferido de los dos, aunque al principio esa imagen frívola, de rubia tonta y devora hombre no me gusto,
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a re-re-re-re-read!! LOL. I must read it nearly every fecking year. I LOVE IT. I love Dan. I love Phoebe. I LOVE SEP!!

Thought I was updating on the kindle version but I seem to have been updating on the paperback one. Sorry about that. There will be two ratings on here then. Both 5 stars and I am sure the next time I read it, it will still be FIVE stars.

Written April 17, 2014

4 1/2 Stars - Jeez, Ms. Phillips has the talent to write wonderful charming romances.

After reading two amazing books by Susan Elizabeth Phillips was it time for the third. It Had to Be You recommended by my friend and fellow citizen Susanne (5 stars). The very best book by this author, according to her.

It Had to Be You is a 20 years old romance from 1994. ~ Already with ratings from more than 27.800 readers on goodreads is this SEP's most popular book here. ~ Further
I enjoyed it. Perhaps more so since I've been experiencing a dry spell of DNFs lately.

This book is contemporary-ish. It was published in '94 and definitely shows its age. I tend to enjoy the older books, but understand some want nothing to do with anything written last century. If you're one of those readers who is iffy about older romances, this probably isn't the book for you. Also there could potentially be triggers for sex abuse victims.

The beginning was odd. I can see any reader being turn
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
3° relectura.
Absolutamente genial. Es otro de esos escasos libros a los que le daría 10, 20, 30 estrellas 😂 Tiene de todo, es perfecto.
Me encantan Dan y Phoebe 🔥😍
It was brilliant. I'm speechless and will not even try to write a review. It was terrible, and definitely not a feel good-cookie but so great. I cried and I laughed and the ending was so sweet, so right. This book was not what I expected but so much better. My heart broke for Phoebe in the beginning of the book and to follow her growth and healing process was amazing. It was so believable, so touching.

Updated 14/4/13

It was just as great the second time around. Even though I remembered almost ev
Paige  Bookdragon

I think the best reason why this book is awesome is that, other than the usual SEP factor, this book gives a giant fuck you to the "dumb blonde" mentality. I hate that phrase and I hate it when people uses that to their books but SEP created a character who is blonde, who is smart and who is kind.

Feb 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chick-lit with a side order of romance fans
Shelves: contemporary
I can’t say I really liked this book because it’s too chick-litty for me and I really dislike chick-lit so maybe for the chick-lit reader this is a good book.

I didn’t like the the hero or the heroine. The hero said too many mean and downright cruel things to the heroine that I don’t think could be taken back let alone forgiven. He also flew off the handle like some psycho for no reason. The heroine had too many issues and her whole switch in persona at the end was just too unbelievable.

There i
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reto-rita
1a lectura en 2016: Me encantan los libros de romántica donde el humor está presente y Susan Elizabeth Phillips es una auténtica maestra. Los protagonistas de este libro son geniales por separado pero juntos... Wow. Voy por el séptimo libro de la serie Chicago Stars y Dan sigue siendo mi favorito. Muy recomendable.

Relectura gracias al #RetoRita. Me reafirmo en lo dicho, me encanta este libro, pues trata temas muy profundos de una forma muy amena y sin perder el sentido del humor. Phoebe es una p
Isn’t it nice when a book you read could not just make you laugh at some lines, but can make you smile almost all throughout the book (exemption are the pages where either or both major protagonists are in distress of course) and just as you are about to close it? But then, it just hits you that it’s over and then you’re wistfully happy?

It Had To Be You just has to be that book.

Phoebe Somerville, blonde hottie, has just inherited a football team. And she doesn’t even know the its in football. I
SEP lovers Buddyread April 11-13, 2014 57 90 Aug 15, 2015 02:24AM
Let's Talk Love S...: It Had to Be You - Buddy Read 12 18 May 16, 2015 06:07AM
Malaysian Reads: Alpha Male 11 197 Apr 26, 2015 10:30PM
  • True Love and Other Disasters (Chinooks Hockey Team, #4)
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2)
  • Slow Heat (Pacific Heat, #2)
  • Curveball (Richmond Rogues, #2)
  • A Lot like Love (FBI/US Attorney, #2)
  • Paradise (Second Opportunities, #1)
  • Fair Play (New York Blades, #2)
  • Mackenzie's Mountain (Mackenzie Family, #1)
  • Line of Scrimmage

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is an international bestseller whose books have been published in over 30 languages. She’s the only four-time recipient of the Romance Writers of America’s prestigious Favorite Book of the Year Award, and a recipient of their Lifetime Achievement Award. Among her other accomplishments, Susan created the sports romance.

Susan's newest book, FIRST STAR
More about Susan Elizabeth Phillips...

Chicago Stars (8 books)
  • Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)
  • This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5)
  • Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
  • First Star I See Tonight (Chicago Stars, #8)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Judgment (Cassidy & Spenser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Breathless
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Accidentally on Purpose (Heartbreaker Bay, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Mess (Broken #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • One More Night (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
“I guess we're oil and water. (Phoebe)

I'd say we're more like gasoline and a blowtorch. (Dan)”
“The door closed behind her (Phoebe), and the two men regarded each other for a moment. Viktor spoke first. "I must have your promise, Coach, that you won't hurt her." Dan: "I won't." Viktor: "You spoke a little too quickly for my taste. I don't quite believe you." Dan: "I'm a man of my word, and I promise I won't hurt her." He flexed his hands. "When I murder her, I'll do it real quick so she won't feel a thing." Viktor sighed. "That's exactly what I was afraid of.” 129 likes