Start by marking “Every Last One” as Want to Read:
Every Last One

Every Last One

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  33,283 ratings  ·  4,599 reviews
The latest novel from Pulitzer Prize-winner Anna Quindlen

In this breathtaking and beautiful novel, the #1 New York Times" bestselling author Anna Quindlen creates an unforgettable portrait of a mother, a father, a family, and the explosive, violent consequences of what seem like inconsequential actions.

Mary Beth Latham has built her life around her
Published April 13th 2010 by Random House (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Every Last One, please sign up.
Dani It was alluded to in the book -- that Kiernan had killed (or intended to kill) "every last one" of the family...

·  33,283 ratings  ·  4,599 reviews

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Raw. Powerful. Real. Not for cynics or sissies.
If you have experienced a devastating event that has permanently divided your life into a "Before" and an "After," this book will really speak to your heart. I know it spoke to mine. If you're fortunate enough not to have been through the fire, there's much to be gained here in understanding another person's pain and knowing how best to help them.

For maximum impact, it's best to know as little as possible prior to reading the book. When I brought
Deanna
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it

I can't believe I forgot about this book! Granted I read it over 5 years ago, but when I saw a friend had recently reviewed it, it all came flooding back.

I remember after I read it, it was all I could think about for days.....

Mary Beth Latham is a devoted mother of three children. Lately she finds herself thinking more and more about how fast life goes. She feels like her children have grown into teenagers almost overnight.

Told from Mary Beth's point
Norma * Traveling Sister
Traveling Sister Read Review by NORMA, LINDSAY and BRENDA!!

4.5 stars rounded up to 5 stars for EVERY LAST ONE as this novel took us all on an extremely emotional roller coaster of a ride!

EVERY LAST ONE by ANNA QUINDLEN is a novel that can be compared to riding a very steep roller coaster. The first half of the book was the slow chug up the hill, anticipation for the thrill to kick in, wondering when that huge ‘drop’ is going to happen. Once you hit the MAJOR ‘drop’ at aro
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
Another amazing Traveling Sister Read with Brenda and Norma! Once again, it was an honour to be included in one of their amazing sister reads - I loved every second of it! This was a great book to read together as it was very intense and sparked a lot of interesting conversation.

To see our full Traveling Sister Review, please visit Norma and Bren
Brenda -Traveling Sister host of The Traveling Friends
4.5

Traveling Sister Read with Norma and Lindsay

Absolutely loved this reading experience and loved the conversation we had sharing our thoughts.

Full review can be found on Norma's review or on our sister blog

Elyse Walters
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE: 4/26/2015 I read this book years ago --and had given it 3 stars at the time...

I came back today to give it 5 stars ---My reason for changing it --is because its very clear this book left a lasting impression on me. A message in the book is strong. It 'wasn't clear to me at the time -it is 'now'. I HIGHLY recommend this book for MOTHERS who have daughters (especially if they still have daughters living at home with them).

I have many thoughts about this book--
Margitte

Blurb
In this breathtaking and beautiful novel, the #1 New York Times bestselling author Anna Quindlen creates an unforgettable portrait of a mother, a father, a family, and the explosive, violent consequences of what seem like inconsequential actions.

Mary Beth Latham is first and foremost a mother, whose three teenaged children come first, before her career as a landscape gardener, or even her life as the wife of a doctor. Caring for her family and preserving their everyday life is paramount.
Blurb
Lisa Vegan
I recommend reading this book knowing very little about it. I always read the cover and inside covers first and what I learn usually whets my appetite and rarely am I disappointed to have the information. However, the inside front cover of this book revealed more than I wanted to know. Perhaps that’s just me; I don’t know.

Quindlen is a fine writer and a skillful story teller; I learned so much about these family members and those they knew incredibly rapidly.

The story is beautifully
♥ Sandi ❣

The book starts off with the wondrous journey of marriage and children, along with all the trials and tribulations of raising those 3 teenage children. Husband, wife, children, family, friends and neighbors all play a part in everyday life. But as Ruby, the eldest and only daughter, and Max and Alex, the twins, grow, life begins to change, as life always does. Their likes and dislikes change, their friends change, their dreams change. At this point not all their friends are
Delee
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, reviewed, own
When I read EVERY LAST ONE by Anna Quindlen I was told by a few people that something terrible was going to happen, and to stick it out in spite of the somewhat slow pace of the first half. As happy as I was to get this advice I didn't need it, because I grew to love these characters through their day to day humdrum lives. I am grateful that I didn't know what that something terrible was, so I will keep this review brief-not to give anything away.

Read this book! It is wonderful! But
Ruth Turner
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was ok

Where to start?

The writing was rambling and disjointed. I got to page 80 and then went back to the beginning to try to make sense of what I was reading. Didn't help.

The characters, all of them, were cardboard cutouts with no emotional depth. And none of them seemed to have their own voice. Often after reading a sentence I'd have to stop and think...Wait...Which one are you again?

And the story line? It moves oh sooooo slowly towards the climax of the book, and
Tania
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A loose end - that's what we women call it, when we are overwhelmed by the care of small children, the weight of small tasks, a life in which we fall into bed at the end of the day exhausted from being all things to all people.

I've read three of this author's books before, and absolutely loved all of them, but this was a long time ago. I'm glad to say that I loved this quiet and beautifully written book. Her writing still has the ability to hook me on the first sentence, even when she is only descr
Alecia
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Chaitra
Jenny
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general
Every Last One is about Mary Beth and Glen Lathan and their children. Mary Beth Lathan thought she was living a normal life with her husband Glen and their three children Ruby, Alex and Max. However, this was not the case. Mary Beth Lathan life was turned upside down when an ex-neighbour son came back to town. The readers of Every Last One will continue to follow to see what happens to Mary Beth Lathan and her family.

Every Last One is the first book I have read by Anna Quindlen. I di
Kathy
Compelling story! I use this phrase sparingly, as the story has to be one that completely ensconces me into its plot line and characters. Every Last One accomplishes that to perfection. Quindlen has an amazing talent for developing characters in which the reader becomes emotionally invested. I don't want to sound trite, but the characters really do come alive for the reader. Quindlen also has quite the knack for writing about an important issue that exposes it but doesn't preach or judge, a natu ...more
Brenda
Mary Beth Latham lived at home with her husband Glen, eldest child Ruby and twins Max and Alex, and while life was “normal” the fact that three teenagers lived under their roof proved on a day by day basis that things were far from “normal”. Mary Beth was devoted to her family – she also ran a business as a landscape gardener, while Glen was an eye specialist.

Ruby was preparing for the prom in the way all teenage girls do – drama queen and dramatics on a daily basis. After the prom she was head
Laurel
Feb 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was my first Quindlen book. I became curious about her after reading her high praise of Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones (another book I didn't particularly enjoy). It's sort of funny because I felt these two books were quite similar in tone and even (partly) in subject matter.

Every Last One is hard to describe without giving too much away, but it deals quite intensely with issues of death, tragedy, depression and grief. In that sense, it's not what I would call an enjoyable read. Some of it is qui
Tiffy
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a heartbreaking gut wrenching tale of what happens when you're the survivor of a horrific tragic event. Mary Beth, mother of 3 is living life as a normal wife and mother when her whole world is turned upside down. Can she cope? This novel is beautifully written and brought tears to my eyes.
Diane Chamberlain
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. Not much happens in the first half, yet I was engaged from the start because Quindlen made me want to know her characters. She drew them so realistically, they felt like my neighbors which makes what happens to all of them that much more devastating. You often wonder how someone can go on living after a tragedy. Quindlen has taken on the challenge of exploring exactly that, with compassion, heart and skill.
Marcia
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, x2010
The first half of Every Last One by Anna Quindlen is best described with the adjective quotidian. Mary Beth Latham and her family (husband, Glen; daughter, Ruby; twin sons, Alex and Max) go through the daily routine so familiar to anyone who has had kids in middle school and high school and who remembers (fondly or not) the soccer games and practices, the having to be at opposite ends of the town at the exact same time, the crises of young love, etc. And so, the first half of Every Last One lull ...more
bookczuk
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
Just before one of my favorite indie bookstores closed its doors for good, I went on a book-buying spree. This was one of the books I got, picked without even reading the back cover, simply because I've liked much of Quindlen's works. Once I started reading, I almost put it down; I could see horrific disaster looming. I just wasn't sure how I'd handle that type of personal tragedy, even though it's been almost 2 years since my family's fatal night. But I, too, have a survivor in my life, and she ...more
Diane
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-books-read
A few friends had mentioned that they thought Every Last One: A Novel was an excellent, so I decided to give it a try. I wish I had passed; here's why:

It's a story about a mother, Mary Beth Latham, who is totally devoted to her (3) teenage children. Even her husband Glen, an Opthamologist, feels she is to involved in the daily lives of twins Alex and Max, polar opposites. Alex excels in sports and is very outgoing, and Max is quiet and obviously depressed. Daughter Ruby. has suffered
Lara
Jul 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Anna Quindlen should fire her editor. She used the term 'abstracted' until page 190 and then substituted it for 'distracted' for the rest of the book. Given the context, I'm fairly sure she should have been using 'distracted' throughout. There are a few other weird words that she uses. Can a character be 'agnostic' about the word 'shrink'? Seems like he should be 'undecided' or 'ambivalent'. I forgive Alex his misuse of 'dubious' because he's a teenager and it's a fad word. But the shrink? C'mon ...more
Jennifer Masterson
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was extremely disturbing and sad (not in a Stephen King sort of a way). I actually had to take a break from it for a couple of days because of what happens in the middle of the book. It's not for everyone so be forewarned. I will not give anything away but it deals with love and loss. It's brutal.
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I got this from the library and have really tried to get into it but just found it really dull and boring. By 45% nothing was really happening and the characters and plot fell flat for me (what plot?). I know a big tragedy happens halfway through this and perhaps it gets better but it was so incredibly slow I lost interest even knowing what it was sadly.

I tried and persisted and skimmed some pages but eventually gave up on this one. The writing style is good but it had no substance in my opinio
Rachel Hall

Every Last One is a poignant first-person account of the ordinary family life of the Latham’s being devastated by a brutal act of violence and despite its horrific subject matter makes for a surprisingly heartwarming read full of subtle observations, painful truths and an exploration of family dynamics. The novel comprises two very distinctive halves, with the first being a slow-moving tale full of the humdrum events that are all part of family life, from soccer practice to
Heather
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrea
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Four things (and NO spoilers)

1. I did not read any reviews or plot summaries prior to cracking this open. One does not need convincing reviews when it comes to Anna Quindlin. Anna speaks for herself. And I am certain that this is the ideal way to approach this novel.

2. I was enchanted with the precise reality of how Quindlin captures families. I read aloud passages to my daughter (who so resembles Ruby in this story), and she just rolled her young eleven-year-old eyes, not really ap
Jlaurenmc
Sep 17, 2010 rated it did not like it
I hate to post in less than a week's time that I abandoned yet another book. I'm especially pained to admit that I stopped reading Anna Quindlen's latest novel Every Last One. And yet here I am, telling you exactly that. The truth is, my reading life is simply too full -- there are too many fabulous reads out in the vast space that is this world -- for me to spend time reading books I don't enjoy. So, after reading Every Last One more than halfway through (and loving it so much that I was up at ...more
Gwinnett County P...: Every Last One 1 33 May 20, 2013 10:28AM
What's the Name o...: family is murdered by teenage boy - solved [s] 7 371 Nov 27, 2012 08:44PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Every Last One 4 12 Jan 23, 2012 06:15AM

• Secrets of Eden
  • Lift
  • Pictures of You
  • This Perfect World
  • Never Change
Anna Quindlen is a novelist and journalist whose work has appeared on fiction, nonfiction, and self-help bestseller lists. She is the author of eight novels: Object Lessons, One True Thing, Black and Blue, Blessings, Rise and Shine, Every Last One, Still Life with Bread Crumbs, and Miller’s Valley. Her memoir Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, published in 2012, was a number one New York Times bestseller. Her book A Short Guide to a Happy Life has sold more than a mmemoir ...more
“Here is one of the worst things about having someone you love die: It happens again every single morning.” 143 likes
“Sometimes I remind myself that I almost skipped the party, that I almost went to a different college, that the whim of a minute could have changed everything and everyone. Our lives, so settled, so specific, are built on happenstance.” 96 likes