Start by marking “Blood Colony: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Blood Colony: A Novel

Blood Colony: A Novel (African Immortals #3)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  1,138 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Acclaimed for seven novels, ranging from supernatural thrillers to historical fiction, which have garnered her a multitude of fans and awards, Tananarive Due now imagines the story of an ancient group of immortals -- a hidden African clan that has survived for more than a thousand years -- facing one of the most challenging issues of our time: the AIDS/HIV pandemic.

There
Published June 3rd 2008 by Atria Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Colony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Colony

Mocha Girl
Rashida
You know what I hate (besides reviews that get lost and make you try to retype verbatim, revealing how fickle your memory has become)? Plots that are propelled by nothing more than otherwise smart people making one series of stupid decisions after another. And not just stupid decisions, but truly, literally ignorant decisions. As in, the person/people you love most in the world and are closest to (physically and spiritually) have all the information to be able to piece together the answers to yo ...more
I wasn't as impressed with this final book in Ms. Due's My Soul to Keep trilogy. There was too many unnecessary scenes included in the story. The originality of the storyline was there, but other storyline did not interest me. The end of the second book should have been it. It was just an okay read.
Beverly
I have enjoyed the Immortals series and the concept very much. I ma sad to say this is my least fav of the books in the series. I read this book so that I could read the new release in the series.
I am not a big fan of a teenager being the narrator of an adult series. I wanted to read more about Dawit and the Life Brothers.
David Anderson
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third installment in Tananarive Due's African Immortals series, preceded "My Soul to Keep" and "The Living Blood." I liked it slightly less than the first two (hence 4 stars instead of 5); the ending was somewhat anti-climatic, a bit of a let-down after all the wild intensity that preceded it. But then it does set things up nicely for the fourth and final novel. This series should have been adapted for big screen instead of the lame Twilight. Highly recommended!
J.N. McGhee
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was a required read for one of my English courses. I loved it. I loved the plots, backdrops, etc! I was hooked on the story when I picked up the book! Everyone else in the class thought it was scary and didn't like it. I was the only one that loved the reading! After I read this book, I decided to read the prequels to this. Awesome job, Ms. Due!
jo
added later. i would discourage people from reading this book without having first read at least The Living Blood, but optimally My Soul to Keep too. i think 2/3 or its meaning would be lost.

this is the third in tananarive due's living blood trilogy, a brilliant investigation of life, death, race, slavery, parenting, faith, aging, destiny, grief, love and some other seventy-three topics, woven seamlessly in masterful page turners. you could read all three books and think they are nothing but adv
Jerry Daniels
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jerry by: jerry_daniels_jr@hotmail.com
Shelves: science-fiction
In Blood Colony, Tananarive Due plops a mysterious sect into the latest drama surrounding involving the blood of Jesus and jumps 14 years into the not-too-distant future 17-year-old Fana -- introduced in as a 3-years-old in The Living Blood -- is part of an underground movement to heal the sick.

As the story unfolds to reveal the origin of the mysterious sect and the basis for its existence, it seems that Due draws parallels -- once again -- to the splintering of Christianity as she did in My Sou
R.G. Richards
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book sometime last year but got so busy that it set on my shelf until I decided I would read it over the weekend. I did and will not give out any spoilers, it is worth a read.

I was happy Ms. Due included backstory, I had forgotten most of it. David and Jessica were never a main focus for me, it was always the story of the Life Brothers and Fana. Overall, I loved the story. Like many books, the end was tied up quickly by proclaiming Fana as saviour of the world. My only complaint i
Lisa
Frankly, I am annoyed the ending was so anti-climatic and vague it made reading the whole series seem pointless to me. Newsflash to all authors - If you don't know how to end a story, don't bother to write it! When I read a book, particularly if it is a series I expect a concrete and satisfying ending. Not this horse-crap. What a waste of time.
Wilhelmina Jenkins
The third in an excellent series. Due is a superb writer. I liked this one marginally less than the first two, only because I'm a bit weary of the DaVinci-Code-like, Catholic Church, conspiracy connections. Nevertheless, the book was an excellent read.
Vanessa
Sep 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Due as always your books are simply wonderful! Please make us proud with the next book in the series.
Cherrelle Shelton
I literally could not put this book down for at least 3 hours straight. I enjoyed this book from beginning to end. At this point I expect nothing but the best from Tananarive Due! And this series of books has definitely moved to my top 5 favorite. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Amanda Morgan
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A small colony hidden in a dense forest in Washington state, USA, is home to a group of humans and immortals co-existing towards a common goal: to bring life-saving blood to anyone in the world who needs it. “Blood Colony” features a 17-year-old immortal named Fana whose parents and their friends are leading the charge to eradicate AIDS in Africa.
Hundreds of years ago, Fana’s mother Jessica and father Dawit lived in Africa and were fighting illnesses by working with a scientist whose ideas woul
Lily Java
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book in Ms. Due's African Immortal saga is the first one where I felt that the story was not standalone; that a new story would come from the old as well as a reckoning. It was also in my opinion the most politically motivated of all of the books in the series and I don't just mean because of Ms. Due's memorable words in her afterward. The implications of what something like Glow would mean for the world and the few who would try to control its distribution are complicated, far reachin ...more
Cecily Walker
This book suffers because of the amount of time that passed between the last volume in the Life Brother's saga (2001's "The Living Blood") and the publication of this volume. 7 years is a long time to try to carry the threads of a story forward, and Due has aged the central character at least 10 years. A great deal of Fana's development is glossed over and treated as little more than a convenient plot device. I also found the speed with I discovered Fana's true adversary disappointing. Once I so ...more
Villager
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tananarive Due is the real deal! I am truly swept away by her 'African Immortals' series. This is the 3rd book in the series. Fana and her family think that they can live quietly in a commune up in the Pacific Northwest ... but, it's not to be. Another group of immortals ... once thought to have been exterminated ... are back and they plan to cleanse the world of mortals of all 'sin'. In others words these new immortals have bad intentions. But, they can't begin the 'New Days' until Fana is marr ...more
Mignon Grayson
Jul 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who like fantasy, thrillers
This book is the third installment of T. Due's earlier books, "My Soul to Keep" and "The Living Blood." I love her writing. She is a storyteller extraodinaire.

This book continues the story of the once secret society of immortals and their entwinement with mortals in such a thrilling and captivating way. The immortals of her earlier novels meet foe that is worth reckoning with. Thrill after thrill--surprise after surprise. I couldn't put the book down. My husband and daughter both would get jealo
Kristin
Jul 01, 2011 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: feminists, women of color
Recommended to Kristin by: Brenda, co-worker
OK, this one is starting kind of slow for me. But I'm hanging in there!

I read a couple books inbetween finishing this one. Trouble is, I cared a lot about these characters and I knew some hard stuff was going to happen to them and I wasn't ready. Due completely sold me on her blood theory and the impact on the world and the fortunate/unfortunate people who knew the truth and whose path was so difficult.

Speculative fiction gives a chance to see how human beings choose to handle the unexpected. D
Theresa Loves Books
Apr 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
July 19, 2016:
After re-reading this series, my review is pretty much the same. Surprisingly. Usually when you re-read a book, you feel something a little different. Not so much this time. I still love books 1 & 2 of the series best.

1st Read Review:
This is the 3rd installment of the author's trilogy. So if you haven't read books 1 & 2 yet, go back. The stories are heavily continued and I think that gives you a more enjoyable read. My only disappointment is that the main character's age s
Nick
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This book was clearly inspired by the late Octavia Butler, but is not too derivative. The basic premise, that there are immortals out there who are kind of like vampires turned inside-out [they don't drink blood, but their blood could help YOU:] is interesting. As it intertwines with the conspiracies and religious issues, the story becomes gripping.
The only thing I found odd was the super-advanced tech gadgets that the immortals have. Something about that didn't feel right, although the gadgets
Diana
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A new twist on the vampire genre...The "living blood" was taken from Jesus Christ as he hung on the cross. Infused with healing powers, a drop of this blood will heal wounds, diseases, even death itself. For a small handful, the blood also brings immortality. Some believe that the blood should be distributed to all to save humanity and have created an underground railroad to accomplish this. Others believe that the world should be "cleansed" and only the righteous should inherit the blood. Soon, ...more
Rae
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give it a 4.5. I picked up this book, the third book in a series of four, because it was the only one my library owned. I thought I was reading the second in the series until I googled it. (Note to publishers of series books: Please just put the number on the spine or something. This is ridiculous.)

I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't lost, which was my fear when I realized I was picking up a series in the middle. The characters are compelling and this take on the vampire mythos is so diffe
Megan
Aug 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-magic
A good vampire sort of story - though the immortal "givers of the blood" are not ever called vampires. The main sect of them use their blood for good - to cure any blood-born illness (HIV, sickle cell anemia, etc). There is another sect who is very catholic-esque and wants to "cleanse" the world of the sinners, aka those who do not have "the blood." And of course this is all played out through the teenage main characters.
Titilayo
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
you can't go wrong with a book dedicated to octavia butler. i'm in love. thank you public library book list for suggesting i read this author. it was like reading octavia butler without the melancholy. not only was it expertly written. everything was so neat. it encompassed so many of the things i love about science fiction and spirituality. you through a little afrocentricity and strong baptist women its like ambrosia for the mind. second favorite science fiction author of all time!!!!!!!
Joanie
I am a huge fan of books that are series. As always Tananarive Due kept me on the edge of my seat. And as always it always leaves looking for more. Mortality in any form is always interesting. Being of African descent allows my imagination to take hold in a real way. Good Read. Tananarive maybe another story line for our hero.
Lequisha
I love this author and was excited to read blood colony. For some reason this was really hard for me, her other books I could hardly put down, but not this one. I didn't like the way it ended and the story line fell a little flat to me. The end felt rushed, not sure if there's another book to follow and there were too many loose ends.
Carly
Definitely not as strong as the first two installments, but a great set-up novel for the final book in the series. I found myself frequently losing track of the many, many secondary characters, and having to remind myself who was who. But I have to say, I am very excited to read the final installment, because of this book. It was more of a bridge, than a good novel in its own right.
Yetunde
Nov 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As far as the Life Brothers stories go, this was my least favorite. It took so long to get going, and once it did I had to convince myself that it was worth going on until the end. However, I'm glad I did. Once it got past the middle point, it moved quickly and kept me up all night, in rapt attention.
Karen
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this out of order in a series. Looking back, I wish I had read any of the other books in the series before this one. It was pretty easy to follow, but there were a lot of questions about some of the relationships that would have been answered by one of the two books in the series before this one.

Eclectic Readers: Blood Colony 1 7 May 09, 2012 08:49AM
  • The Ancestors
  • Lion's Blood (Lion's Blood, #1)
  • The New Moon's Arms
  • Casanegra (Tennyson Hardwick, #1)
  • Survivor
  • Invisible Touch
  • Dark Thirst
  • Voodoo Season
  • The Shadow Speaker
  • The Thirteenth (Vampire Huntress, #12)
  • Ragamuffin (Xenowealth, #2)
Tananarive Due is a novelist and a creative writing teacher who has worked as a journalist. She won the American Book Award in 2002 for her novel The Living Blood.
More about Tananarive Due...

African Immortals (4 books)
  • My Soul to Keep (African Immortals, #1)
  • The Living Blood (African Immortals, #2)
  • My Soul to Take (African Immortals, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
  • Tales of the Hidden World
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
“The devil never gave a gift for free.” 9 likes
“Your past is your shadow. It has form but no substance, except in the places you allow it to touch you. (” 8 likes