Start by marking “Running Hot (EMS Heat, #1)” as Want to Read:
Running Hot (EMS Heat, #1)

Running Hot (EMS Heat #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  1,052 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
A thrill of excitement always went through paramedic James Willson whenever he transported a patient to St. Michael’s hospital, but it had nothing to do with the rush of the job. It was one of the emergency department doctors that set his heart racing—the very sexy, very aloof Calvin Dane.
Published January 2010 by Extasy Books

To ask other readers questions about Running Hot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Hot

Nancy
Posted at Hearts on Fire Reviews

For months, paramedic James Wilson and cool, professional emergency room doctor Calvin Dane have admired each other from a distance, but busy jobs and a fear of rejection prevent the men from taking that next step. Nurse Janet, close friend and confidante of Calvin’s, is determined to see the men get together.

A grope session in the back of an ambulance and a night out at a bar soon alter both men’s lives. Though there are many doubts that things could possibly wo
Catherine
Stephani Hecht’s EMS-themed novella Running Hot is… well… scorching hot.

Shy paramedic James Wilson has been crushing on the sexy Dr. Calvin Dane since the instant their eyes first met across the crowded emergency room at St. Michael’s Hospital. James wants to get to know Calvin better, but the good doctor’s coolly professional manner has James afraid that the feelings he’s experiencing aren’t mutual. Little does he realize that Calvin’s been eyeing him for months like Ben & Jerry’s just ann
Ele
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Total miss for me. Way too short and underdeveloped. Badly edited too.
Meags
3.5 Stars

Ooh, yeah, that hit the spot.

James is a paramedic; Calvin is a doctor. They've been secretly pining for one another since Calvin started working at St. Michael's Hospital six months earlier, but neither man is really aware that the other is also interested until a patient drop-off culminates in a bit of mutual eye-fucking.

Encouraged, Calvin works up the nerve to approach James in the back of his ambulance. What was meant to be a friendly conversation between the two quickly turns into
Ula'ndi Hart
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-reads
Overall book rating: 3.8
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 3.5

What can I say? I'm on a roll with the short-reads ;-)
These are the things that keep you going when you can't find the time to properly sit your but down and pay attention over a span of pages.

It hit the spot. I enjoyed it and I liked the two MC's James and his hot doctor Calvin. Boys who put the ambulance too use in a naughty way. LOL

I liked the "shy" thing about James, it sometimes hits my buttons and this was one of those moments.

⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
3.6 Stars

Not bad at all; kind of had a gay 3rd Watch/Grey's Anatomy feel to it. And pretty well-written, with some decent characterization given the shorter length. I can't deny that I wish there'd been more to the story, but it was quite enjoyable as is. Definitely enough to have me adding the next one to the TBR, even if it IS a different couple.
DaisyGirl
3.5 Stars

I like Stephani Hecht's stories (e.g., the Lost Shifter series). My only gripe, generally, is the length of her books. This book was no exception. I enjoyed both James and Calvin. I liked their cautious flirtation and watching their attraction build. But the story ended so abruptly. I would have liked reading more about their budding relationship. Instead we went from "okay, let's give this a try" to the epilogue wherein they're living together. That's 1/2 a book that happened off page,
Trio
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm
This book was okay, a little short but the plot worked it way along and the characters were likable. My biggest complaint (as it usually is) was the editing. How a book gets out there with such bad typos, the completely wrong words & such dreadful punctuation is a mystery - it really detracts me from the story.
Trish
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, short-story
great feel good read!

sexy and very sincere MC's. lots of attraction, a touch of humor, a little bit of drama and paced very well for a short story.

a definite must read when you want 2 hours of good writing with sexy hot men with a happy ending.... umm, no pun.. i swear!

Trisha Harrington
This was a short but really sweet story. James and Calvin were both very likable characters. They had amazing chemistry and were very cute together. They both had crushes on the other person and there were a couple of issues. But overall it was a nice sweet read. I highly recommend this book :)
Candice
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: hot, sweet, short-reads
Short and sweet with a hot doctor and hot medic.
Sas
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
Fave Quote: '"Let's just say I have it bad for a certain medic. Must be the uniform."'

- Storyline - 3/10
- Ending - 10/10
- Ridiculousness - 4/10
- Annoying the shit out of me factor - 2/10
- This book described in one word/phrase - Short but sweet

So this was a really short, simple read that took me about an hour to get through. I
L-D
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it
James Willson is an EMT who is interested in a hot, aloof doctor, Calvin Dane. Calvin likewise finds himself drawn to the gorgeous and friendly EMT. When they finally get a chance to meet, sparks fly.

This was a short, sweet story. Emphasis on the short. I'm not sure why books are so short, I'd rather have 4 well-developed books in a series than 10 short and not as developed book.

I did enjoy this read because James and Calvin are both sexy and exciting, but you barely get to know these two men
Tana
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Running Hot (EMS Heat, #1) by Stephani Hecht

I am a huge fan Stephanie Hecht's writing, I love her m/m paranormal romance series, so I figured I should read EMS Heat Series.

Here we meet James who is a paramedic and Calvin an ER Doctor, both attracted to each other but who will make the first move.

This story is well written, very enjoyable and if you love the m/m genre this is a series to read.
Ami
Jun 20, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the first in St. Michael's series -- and I kinda doing it backwards since I read book #3 and #2 first. The good thing is I am already familiar with Calvin and his lover, James. The "bad" thing is, because of that, I want their story to be a little more detailed. This one feels a little bit too rushed and abruptly finished for me. I still enjoy it though especially because I love Ms. Hecht's writing.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This was like deja Vy until I realized I'd already read it and never marked it as such. It was obviously pretty forgettable.
Alina
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Nice and sweet short story. Both characters're very likeable and the plot was rather simple, but enjoyable. Light and easy read!
Arlyn
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very quick read. In my opinion, it was too quick and simplistic to be released as a complete story in and of itself. However, when I purchased this book, it was only available for purchase as a bundle of the first 5 books in the "EMS Heat" series. The price was reasonable and I had no issues purchasing it in bundle form. Had I bought this on it's own, I don't think I would have been happy with the return on my investment.

Though the story lacked depth, this was still an enjoyable intro
Tam
Feb 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
James is an ambulance driver who’s had a crush on ER Dr. Calvin for a while but Calvin never seems to show any interest. Meanwhile Calvin’s been crushing on James and Calvin’s friend, a nurse, finally makes him do something about it. He goes out to talk to James in the ambulance and make a pretty ballsy move then can’t believe he did it. His friend convinces him to come to the bar with her as she knows James will be there so he can try again. He does and things go great, James goes home with him ...more
Dakota Storm
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
something about this short that you can read and the re read again and Again. M/M not usually my read but was drawn to it and it did not disappoint. Calvin Dane Doctor and James Willson EMT both have a thing for each other but both are trying to hide their feelings. Brought together in a situation that they can't hide their feelings. Hot hot hot sex, very emotional love story with insecurities, hope, longing brings together a couple destined to be together. Love it, Love it. Recommend highly gre ...more
Tara
This was a quick read. James is an EMT and Calvin is an ER doctor. After months of lusting after each other they finally admit their attraction to each other and do something about it.

Really no surprises. The writing is at times really simplistic and there was an odd bit of drama added in the last 3 pages that really didn't seem to serve any purpose, but really this is a short burst of sexy...
figuranta❤️addicted❤️to❤️books❤️
5 STARS

What an amazing book. Hot, sexy, sweet and the whole package what makes this an awesome m/m.

This book is so well written and so much put in in 46 pages. I am not a big fan of short stories but i loved this one.

Many thanks to my dear friend for borrow me her kindle to read this series but they are a must read. I will def get this to have it in my own books.

If you like m/m you need to read this book and i am sure the rest of this series will be as good as this one.

A Girl Has No Name
First of all - and most important - I definitly liked the setting. Hot paramedics and doctors are always nice to read about! ^^ I enjoyed reading about James and I felt closer to him during this story. Calvin on the other side stayed somewhat unaproachable. However, this was a very hot read and a nice beginning for a long series of shorts! 3 stars!
Becky Condit
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars
This is a story with a lot of potential but unfortunately it fell a little short for me because of the cluelessness of the MCs. Since this is the first book in a series I’m hoping the next book will be more than an introduction and will be a full-on story with characters who know what they are doing and an integrated plot that isn’t quite so segmented.
Monika
3.5 Stars

This started out and ended up a nice, easy, fast read. The supporting characters were likable, with the exception of one nurse, the MC's were hot....an EMT and a Doctor, what's not too like there, it's a short good pick me up.
Serena Yates
Jan 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay
I liked this story about James, a paramedic, and Calvin, a doctor. They've both been secretly admiring the other and it takes a "meddling" nurse to get Calvin to make the first move. It takes James a while to believe Calvin is really interested in him, but when he does, sparks fly.
Lily
Jan 18, 2010 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this easy sexy read. A satisfying story that is sure to please fans of M/M romance.

My complete review is posted at Rainbow Reviews
Katy Beth Mckee
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I really liked what I read. It was was well written and was really drawing me in. But I ended up giving it only 3 stars because I felt like the end was rushed and abrupt. I would have liked more.
Sylvia
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it

this story was a bit too short in my opinion
but hey at least it had some hot paramedics.
Jane (PS)
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
A sweet short story of love between an EMT and doctor.
  • Texas Hold 'Em (Poker Night #1)
  • Keeping House (Truth or Dare #1)
  • True North (Lost Boys and Love Letters, #1)
  • Only His Heart (Only Forever #3)
  • Burnin' for You (Burnin' for You, #1)
  • Identity Crisis
  • Breathe Me In (Tales of the Darkworld, #6.5)
  • Two In Two Out (Hero, #2)
  • Heat (Firefighters, #1)
  • One of Those Days
  • Racing the Moon (Road Trip, #1)
  • Aidan and Ethan (Seeking Redemption, #1)
  • Collision Course (Florida Books, #2)
  • Fire on the Mountain (Mountain, #1)
  • Alternative Treatment
  • Be The Air For You
  • His Christmas Wish (Men of Charlestown, #2)
  • On Fire (On Fire, #1)
Stephani Hecht is a happily married mother of two. Born and raised in Michigan, she loves all things about the state, from the frigid winters to the Detroit Red Wings hockey team. Go Wings! You can usually find her snuggled up to her laptop, creating her next book or gorging on caffeine at her favorite coffee shop.

When she’s not running around like crazy, trying to get her kids to their various ac
More about Stephani Hecht

EMS Heat (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Man Down (EMS Heat, #2)
  • Lights and Sirens (EMS Heat, #3)
  • Priority One (EMS Heat, #4)
  • Code Blue (EMS Heat, #5)
  • Red Lights and Silver Bells (EMS Heat, #6)
  • High Flow (EMS Heat, #7)
  • Three-Alarm Fire (EMS Heat, #8)
  • Shades of the Past (EMS Heat, #9)
  • In His Hero's Shadow (EMS Heat, #10)
  • Life Over Limb (EMS Heat, #11)

Romance Deals

• #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $2.49
  • Remembering Us
    $3.99 $2.00
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unbound (The Forbidden Bond, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • In the Heir (Westerly Billionaire, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Chained Up (Devil's Rock #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Life After Perfect (Boot Creek #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Room for You (Cranberry Inn, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Noble Servant (A Medieval Fairy Tale #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Turn to Me (Kathleen Turner, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forbidden Fling (Wildwood #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Vanishing Girl (The Vanishing Girl, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Unwanted Wife (Unwanted, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • In His Shadow (The Tangled Ivy Trilogy #1)
  • Visibly Broken
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Van (Cold Fury Hockey, #9)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Fire (Red-Hot SEALs, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • The Sapphire Affair (Jewel, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Thing Called Love (Mirror Lake, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tea and Secrets (Adams Grove, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • With This Ring (Vanza, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Highland Promise (Murray Brothers, 3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • MacKenzie Fire (Shine Not Burn, #2)
  • Hell Breaks Loose
  • Ensnared
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Turning Point (Kathleen Turner, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Number, Right Guy (The Bourbon Street Boys, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow of a Doubt (The Tangled Ivy Trilogy, #2)
  • Between Me and You
  • Just One Thing
    $4.49 $1.99
  • In the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Glassblower
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Blank Slate
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Picturing Perfect (Love of My Life, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgiven (The Forbidden Bond #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Nothings (Sugar Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sprinkles on Top (Sugar Springs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
  • Of Noble Birth
  • Something More Than This
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Need You for Mine (Heroes of St. Helena, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Best Medicine (Bell Harbor, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Need You for Always (Heroes of St. Helena, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Turn (Kathleen Turner, #4)
  • The Matchmaker's Playbook (Wingmen Inc. 1) [Kindle in Motion]
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Letters (Rose Harbor #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Barbecue and Bad News (Adams Grove, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Mint Juleps and Justice (Adams Grove #5)
  • 99 Days
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Royal Games (The Royals of Monterra, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Up for Heir (Westerly Billionaire #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Royal Chase (The Royals of Monterra)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The American Lady (The Glassblower Trilogy #2)
    $6.49 $1.99