Start by marking “Psychology: A Very Short Introduction” as Want to Read:
Psychology: A Very Short Introduction

Psychology: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions #6)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  432 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Published June 15th 2000 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Psychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psychology

Julia
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Psychology" is the second book I have read from the series "A Very Short Introduction" and I must admit that I am not disappointed. Before reading this book I had no idea about psychology, so I was (and still am) complete muggle when it comes to that field. The book, however, describes breifly many different parts of psychology, what is it after all, how can it be used in our everyday lives and moreover, how it is used when we do not even notice the workings of psychologists! The books leaves a ...more
Scott
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was a nice refresher on the major topics in psychology, while lacking some of the depth and utility I had hoped for. I wanted a book that would concisely and persuasively teach me established psychological findings. Instead the authors spent much time (necessarily) delineating the convoluted approaches of different psychological schools of thought. The human mind is complex, certainly, and not every book can be perfect for every person. Also, this book is a decade old—I wonder what els ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Psychology: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions #6), Gillian Butler, Freda McManus

Psychology is part of everyone's experience: it influences the way we think about everything from education and intelligence to relationships and emotions, advertising, and criminality. People readily behave as amateur psychologists, offering explanations for what we think, feel, and do. But what exactly are psychologists trying to help us understand? What scientific grounding do they have for their
jzthompson
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Concise and clear but also wide ranging. I'd personally have liked a bit more on the history of psychology, but realistically that's probably a subject for another book. Really good.
John Aquilina Alamango
Unfortunately the book presents complex concepts which are unfamiliar to those who are entrirely ew to the subject. Thinking, I was heading towards an "introduction" to psychology, unfortunately I found myself reading a book which presented complex concepts which are far from being an introduction. Perhaps I would say, this is a good book for someone who is already familiar with the very basic concepts and would either like a refresher, or would like to explore new topics.
Orestis
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Succeeds at what it sets out to do - give readers a first glimpse into the field of psychology, and the various concepts and methods that shape it, providing opportunities for wider reading there where information cannot be explored in depth.
Xuankang Lin
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's best for high school students who are considering their majors in college.
Zoe
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting, concise, understandable overview of psychology, great for anyone who's introducing themself to the topic.
Sitdhibong Laokok
เลมเลกๆ แตเนือหาแนนมาก ปูพืนฐานเกียวกับจิตวิทยาไดเปนอยางดี ...more
Ivy-Mabel Fling
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good introduction for beginners.
Isaac
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I trained as an economist and reading this book was my own acknowledgement that, like economics, people (me included) talk about psychology without ever reading about it.

I liked the introduction to the book and how it sets out the key issues to be considered - I found it a useful framework:

1. What gets into the mind - perception and attention?
2. What stays in the mind - learning and memory?
3. How do we use what's in the mind - thinking reasoning and communicating?
4. Why do we do what we do - mo
SJ Loria
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Psychology - A Very Short Introduction
Fair warning, I'm going to be reading a lot of psychology books and GRE prep books for the next few months. I'm trying to get, rather, remain, excited about that. Positive self-talk, repeat.
Anyway I ordered this book because I read the Oxford Very Short Introduction to the Meaning of Life and it was fantastic. Five stars. Instant classic. So in my mind I created an image of what Oxford Short Introductions should be, and this wasn't quite up to that image.
True Lin
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think it's very helpful for me to know what is psychology and how to use your common sense in it. I knew more about science in spirit and intelligence test.
Jaya
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review from Amazon.com:

I skimmed through another review to help get my thoughts in order, and he hit on exactly how I felt about this book - it is very mainstream. Lists very practical uses of psychology, and seems very interested in establishing it as a scientific discipline - understandable, because in my experience psychology is not taken very seriously as a science. I would have liked to see more mention of fringe psychology and other exciting and not-as-mainstream psychological disciplines.
Ryan Scicluna
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A nice introduction to the topic that covers many topics. It is indeed very short as some concepts and ideas are only explained briefly. This book stimulated my interest in psychology and I can say that i will surely read more books on the subject.

Suggested Further Reading:

Your Memory: A Uesr's Guide Baddeley, A. 1996
Manage Your
G. Branden
Jun 21, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a tolerable introduction to the field, and does exactly what it says on the label, unlike some of the the titles in the VSI series, which seem to despair of offering an overview in 150 pages, so they give up and present the author's topical idiosyncrasies instead.

The material presented here is very much what you will see in 700+ page undergraduate introductory psychology texts; there's simply a lot less of it.

It does not achieve any depths impossible in a work of this length, and is part
Nguyễn
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cuốn sách giúp người đọc có những kiến thức cơ bản, định hướng về tâm lý học. Cấu trúc trình bày sách đơn giản, dể hiểu, dẫn dắt người đọc một quá trình từ ngoài vào trong bằng những câu hỏi trọng tâm là những kết quả thực nghiệm kinh điển. Điều gì đi vào não người ? cái gì ở lại ? chúng ta xử lý như thế nào ? tại sao chúng ta làm việc ? phân loại và những bất thường ... Cuối cùng là những ứng dụng trong cuộc sống và những hướng phát triển.
Cá nhân tôi rất thích đoạn nói về nhận định sai lầm của
M. Ashraf
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: vsi
Another Short Introduction and again it doesn't go deep in any of its various topics just general view on different subjects.
It starts with What is Psychology ? then go to a journey into the mind with Perception, Memory and Reason. what drive us, how we became this way, differences and patterns how we influence each others and ends with What is Psychology for?
It can make you interesting in the subject but require more reading.
The Experiments were great! some of them were crazy but still we learn
Tiago Faleiro
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Great book. Not much to say, as the title says, it's a very a short introduction to psychology. It gives a basic history of the field, and some of the topics it covers and how it can be applied in the real world. It's well structured and written, a great book to start with for anyone interested in psychology.
Kyle van Oosterum
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Compiling studies, tables and diagrams the authors have written a compelling introduction to the beautiful discipline of psychology. Psychology is defined multiple times as the "study of the mental life" and it has numerous branches with which to investigate the human condition in its interactions with people, environments and life itself.
Millie
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book about the work of psychologists. I learnt lots of new things! The book is about the science of psychology, rather than disorders and cures. It's an interesting read for anyone, as it tells you a little bit more about yourself.
Dawn
Jul 10, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: librarylove
I think I'm a psychology snob. Or maybe I've just had too many psychology courses. This was a good introduction, but I felt like something was missing, I just can't pinpoint what. But I love the Very Short Introduction series. :)
Caleb Liu
Mar 25, 2007 rated it liked it
A fun, interesting and addictive introduction to Psychology filled with fine examples and not too technical for the layman. Most importantly, it captures your attention, which any good introduction should.
Hon Na hon
แปลไดนาเบือมาก ...more
Kib Chan
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
นาสนใจ...นอย ...more
Daniel Wright
A very interesting and wide-ranging basic introduction. Highly recommended.
Apr 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
After reading this, I am confident that I will not come across as a complete moron to the psych students in my class this summer.
Amanda
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
A concise little overview of the different flavours of Psychology that never gets too dull or incomprehensible. Perfect for those curious about the field or wanting to brush up on lost knowledge.
David Badgery
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-non-fiction
Good, clear introduction to Psychology and its sub-specialisms but surprisingly a very, very limited and unstructured Further Reading list
  • Sociology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Psychiatry: A Very Short Introduction
  • Theology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Darwin: A Very Short Introduction
  • Galaxies: A Very Short Introduction

Very Short Introductions (1 - 10 of 543 books)
  • A Very Short Introduction to Everything

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis
“background. 5. Rubin’s vase” 0 likes