Start by marking “YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment” as Want to Read:
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this indispensable handbook to help everyone to get the best health care possible -- by making everyone into their own medical detective.

Witty, playful, at times offbeat, but always au
Published March 28th 2007 by Scribner (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about YOU, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about YOU

Hom Sack
A quick, light and breezy read. Full of useful information. Even more useful is to implement the advice offered.
Indira
Ha! Finally! Felt like it took forever to read. This is a surprisingly useful book. I had dismissed it as something that wouldnt be applicable to me at all, but I took lessons and advice away from actually every chapter. I realized that I dont have a comprehensive record of my tests done, or have a 'Health advocate" etc, and some topics have inspired me to do a bit more research over here, such as Organ donation. A good and useful read, and contemplation of your own mortality isnt so bad when yo ...more
Lindsey Benage
Would be a good read for a new patient but, for me didn't offer a ton of new knowledge that I haven't already learned through 30 years with chronic illnesses. I do however rate it with 3 stars because the information is good information for someone who might be new to the medical ways.

Favorite Quotes:

"...never sit on cloth chairs in the ER or doctor's office, they are full of germs and can't be sanitized like plastic chairs can be. Always choose a plastic chair."
Katey
Aug 06, 2010 Katey rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with "new adult" status/responsibility
To be fair, I've only read the chapter on alternative medicine in its entirety. I skimmed the rest of the book though, and it seems to be a practical beginner's guide to modern healthcare. Although by its publishing date, I'm sure a lot of the data is inaccurate now, but it does list a lot of other references/websites.

The chapter on alternative medicine is succinct and to the point. There isn't a lot of information, but it's honest in its brevity.
Amy
Dec 27, 2007 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyonne with health concerns
Shelves: nonfiction
I learned that I am in charge of my own healthcare. Doctors are the resources at my fingertips and there are times when I know more than they do. I am on the one with the most interest in my health and therefore am best equipped to be at the helm. Don't be scared to control your next doctors appointment. Have the questions you want answered already thought out before your next visit so that you do not get sidetracked or rushed.
Judy
This book is a must-read for anyone who is interested in his/her health. It is also a must-read for caregivers. A nurse highly recommended it to me when my mother was a cancer patient this summer. Although my mother lost the battle with this dreaded disease, I became a better caregiver to her and am now a smarter patient because of this book.
Amanda Trost
Nov 27, 2007 Amanda Trost rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has a health problem
Tons of tips. For example, never schedul surgery during summer vacation and make sure you are kept warm before and afterward to avoid infection and help healing. It's not only about surgery. There are many tips on choosing a doctor and hospital, and how to get the most out of doctors' appointments.
Kathryn
Found lots of helpful information to help me make it through the next few health issues alive and better off than I was before. I must read for anything who wants to plan an active roll in their health care. I will be passing this book along to a friend to read.
Rebeccameder
It had some neat little tips, but lots of the info was written for Americans and not as applicable to me as a Canadian.

I did like the suggestion to write out a thorough medical history for yourself and bring copies to all new doctors.
Christina
This book has some great information on how to track your health and what family history is important. I do think that this book is geared towards people with existing health issues and there is a lot of material on how to select a specialist.
Rachel
Everyone should read this. People would be much more likely to recieve quality health care and less health care overall if they would read this and then do the things outlined to prepare and protect ones own health.
Julia
I'm so bored of this book. I wouldn't say it's horrible or anything but I can't find the motivation to get back into it. I only read like the first 2 chapters. I'm creating a new shelf just for this kind of thing.
Lancelot
It's very biased to the US but the info contained within is good. Can serve as a good reference and put htings in perspective. Stimulate thoughts and helps one plot a path to being a smart patient indeed.
Dannie
There were some good suggestions, but it is not very specific in how to work the system. "Ask a unit nurse for recommendations" is good advice, but it doesn't tell you how to get in contact with one.
TC
This is a Must Read book! It addresses your personal health in a way few other books do and tells you how to get the most out of your healthcare!
Barbara
I started reading this as a follow on to YOU: The Owner's Manual, but have never managed to finish it.
زينب
What did I gain from this book? Pretty much n othing
and there sence of humour was =_=
Great advice for being assertive with doctors and knowing what to ask for.
Cathy
Good info, but pretty basic if you have any medical knowledge.
Marci
lots of good information in an easy to read format.
Jan Kendrick
Look for my name and my design work in this book!
Mkrone
Really worth a read. I learned a lot.
Jung
Oh the random stuff I read.
Donny Setiawan
Donny Setiawan marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Mouhamed Khedira
Mouhamed Khedira marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Chelsea Mueller
Chelsea Mueller marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
  • The Truth About Food: What You Eat Can Change Your Life
  • The Female Body Breakthrough: The Revolutionary Strength-Training Plan for Losing Fat and Getting the Body You Want
  • The Fibromyalgia Advocate: Getting the Support You Need to Cope with Fibromyalgia and Myofascial Pain Syndrome
  • Stop Getting Ripped Off: Why Consumers Get Screwed, and How You Can Always Get a Fair Deal
  • Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain: A Survival Manual
  • The Uses of Adversity
  • The Merck Manual of Medical Information
  • Suze Orman's 2009 Action Plan: Keeping Your Money Safe & Sound
  • The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program
  • Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover
  • The Inner Game of Stress: Outsmart Life's Challenges and Fulfill Your Potential
  • Lady Danger
  • Joy Bauer's Food Cures: Treat Common Health Concerns, Look Younger and Live Longer
  • What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause: Balance Your Hormones and Your Life from Thirty to Fifty
  • Maximum Influence: The 12 Universal Laws of Power Persuasion
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Psychology
  • A Healthy You: Boost Your Energy, Live Cleaner, and Look and Feel Younger Every Day
  • A Lion and A Lamb
You: On a Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management You: The Owner's Manual: An Insider's Guide to the Body That Will Make You Healthier and Younger You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty You: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy