Start by marking “The Pulpwood Queen's Tiara-Wearing, Book-Sharing Guide to Life” as Want to Read:
The Pulpwood Queen's Tiara-Wearing, Book-Sharing Guide to Life

The Pulpwood Queen's Tiara-Wearing, Book-Sharing Guide to Life

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
When licensed cosmetologist turned publisher's rep Kathy Patrick lost her job due to industry cutbacks, she wasn't deterred. One year later, she opened Beauty and the Book, the world's only combination beauty salon/bookstore. Soon after, she founded The Pulpwood Queens of East Texas -- a reading group that dared to ask the question, "Does a book club have to be snobby to b ...more
Published January 2nd 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about The Pulpwood Queen's Tiara-Wearing, Book-Sharing Guide to Life

Susan
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Lots of recommendations left me w/a million more books to add to my "to-read" list. The author of this book is an over-the-top die-hard reader and tireless advocate for reading and literacy programs as well as a whacky chick in the way only Southern woman can be. Great recipes, quotes, booklists and outlook on life. I cant wait to dig in to the MANY books w/an especially Southern twist that Kathy reccomends. And the great quote on literacy-"The man who does not read has no advantage ...more
Kristen
Three words: charming, delightful, & inspiring.
Carolyn Wesley
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There is so so much I'd like to say about this book but my time is limited. But what I can say is that I adore Kathy's storytelling, humble servanthood spirit. She is so full of vibrance, love for others(which I adore) LIFE and style...Leopard Print/Diamond Tiara Style! I love that. I loved how she shared her life through unique chapter titles and the books she shares in each one...not to mention the quotes. I was shaking my head in agreement and could relate to her and felt like I was listening ...more
Carla Stewart
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this book, I was nearly certain that Kathy Patrick lead a parallel life to mine growing up. Her stories of family and school and becoming a lover of books kept me sailing through the book. By the end I'd laughed and cried until I was - as we say in the South - plumb wore out. Mostly I'm amazed at the heart of this woman who wants to bring joy and meaning to others by introducing them to books and making them feel beautiful inside and out. Remarkable lady. Terrific bo ...more
Kimberly
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is reads like you we're having a relaxed, laugh-out-loud, and heartfelt conversation with the author. The author writes from the heart; she makes no attempt to hide her quirks and foibles. Instead, she rejoices in them as we'll as thoroughly enjoying life. If you want to have a nice, casual read by an avid book-lover with recommendations of great books, this is the book for you.

I was very fortunate to drive to the author's shop in Jefferson, TX, and meet her and have a great haircut a
Karin Gillespie
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is such a delight. Kathy has such a compelling and inspiring story. Particularly resonated with me because I grew up in the Midwest in the 60s too and I am such a fan of tiaras. This book is like a long, entertaining conversation about books. I love Kathy's voice and her message. She's done so much to spread the word about new authors and books. There's no one like her.
Angela
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hc, bc-16
An enjoyable read about the start and continuation of a book club. I marked a few of the pages, so I can add some of the books suggested to my own TBR. It is very Southern, and focuses on Southern writing (hey, you like what you like), but still has some suggestions outside of that specific genre. Fun.
Tabby Kat
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One part memoir, one part inspirational how-to-be-happy-and-do-unto-others-as..., I flew through this book in a few short sittings and enjoyed every minute of it. She may be a small-town girl but Kathy Patrick clearly comes with a great big ol' heart. Whether she is describing the antics of the tiara-wearing Pulpwood Queens as they grew from six to the whole, big, nationwide phenomenon they've become, remembering her childhood and her relationship with her parents with stark truth measured by hu ...more
Patty
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took my time with this book because I wanted to make it last. It is a book about loving books and reading, but it is so much more than that. It is a journey into the authors life, from her childhood right into her adulthood. For me this book is also a self help book and I think that is amuzing because I feel that almost all books in their own way are self help books, especially fiction which sometimes helps us to look into our own lives in a new or different way and discover something that is ...more
Lisa
Aug 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A suprisingly delightful book! Autobiography of Kathy Patrick, who started the first beauty salon/bookstore in the country (maybe the world!). The book is full of great stories of her book club "The Pulpwood Queens of East Texas" who come to meetings in hot-pink shirts trimmed with leopard print and sporting tiaras, because as Kathy says, "We're all Queens!" A tireless advocate for literacy, Kathy is the kind of person you would love to sit down with one afternoon and talk books until the mornin ...more
Tameka
May 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I liked the idea of it being a part memoir and "how-to" book on establishing a book club. It also renewed my faith in my life long dream of owning my own bookstore. As well as the ability to just follow my dreams, whatever they may be.
Tons of good book information too. I'm not much for writing or highlighting in my books, but I definitely put some marks & dogears within this one!! Just so many interesting books to check out. Hopefully I'll have room on my night
Annette
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book worth reading. Written in a down home Texas style, author, Kathy Patrick reveals her life with humor and catchy anecdotes. Having worked as a go-between between authors and bookstores, Patrick lists her favorite reads at the end of each chapter. She also tells of opening her own salon, Beauty and the Book, which lent itself to the beginning of nationwide book clubs, hence The Pulpwood Queens.
Feisty and fabulous !
Barb Lawrence
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book! In fact, I just inquired about becoming a Pulpwood Queen, meaning I want to join (or start) a local chapter of the book club. I thought the book could have been organized a bit better (hence the one star deduction), but really a must-read for people who love to read, and want to live life to the fullest. I hope someday to visit Kathy Patrick's Beauty and the Book--a combination beauty shop and book store. And I am sooooo ready to wear pink, leopard print, and a tiara!
Deborah
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was more of a guide to books and reading and promoting reading than a guide to life. There are stories about her life, but each chapter ends with recommended reading on a theme selected to complement the chapter in some way. I liked the chapter about Katrina. There is a list of recipes and suggestions on starting a book club and even book club questions for this book included at the end of the book.
Marshakinney
Maybe you saw her on Good Morning America. She is a book loving fun loving Texas woman who opened a combo book store and beauty parlor "Beauty and the Book". It was the first step toward her creation of the world's largest book club. Inspiring story and lots of book suggestions to go with each life lesson. Even some recipes to take to the book club. www.beautyandthebook.com to learn more about the Pulpwood Queens.
Jo
Jun 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was my Book Club's pick. I got half way through and could not bring myself to finish. I love books. I love reading. I enjoy book clubs. The idea of a bookstore/beauty salon is intriguing. But this book is just too laborious to read. The writing is all over the place, repetitive and exhausting. Sprinkled through the chapters are pithy saying the author seems to think are relevant. Each chapter ends with a review on 5-10 books she has read. Exhausting. Did not like.
Barbara
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After meeting this crazy lady in Jefferson this past summer I could hardly wait to read her book. She came to Corsicana and did a review of the book and told her remarkable story. She turned a small town beauty shop into a one-of-a-kind retreat that gained national attention. When you read her book and see her suggestions you will want to read every one of them. Her web site tells her story. Check it out. http://www.beautyandthebook.com/index...
Jennifer Wyld
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty inspiring. Kathy is definitely on a mission and maybe my friends and I will finally start a book group. I especially appreciated the books she listed at the end of each chapter, to inspire more book groups. I don't think I will be in leopard print, but I do want to get a hair cut from her next time I am in east Texas!
Michelle
Dec 27, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Written by owner of Beauty and the Book, the world's only combination beauty salon/bookstore. About her experiences with books and her reading group that dared to ask the question, 'Does a book club have to be snobby to be serious?' The club's mission: To get America reading.
Lizzy
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies-etc
A great book by a fellow Texan. In this book, she tells about life experiences and shares some of her favorite books (mostly by southern authors) with a little synopsis of each. Some of the recommendations I love, some I don't care for.
Patricia V Davis
If you need a lift, this one will pick up by your bootstraps, fling off your muddy sole-worn boots and give you shiny pink Manolos, along with a sparkly diamond tiara to match. (Seriously--read this true story and be inspired.)
Stacy
Apr 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Started out okay - I always appreciate someone who loves books as much as me...but i found the author's writing to be repetitive and after the first half, a bit boring. But I do love the idea of having a beauty salon/bookshop!
Lauren
Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just fun to read. It is a memoir of a lady who owns a beauty salon/ book store and contains great recipes, anecdotes, and many book lists and reviews. This book shows creativity and exuberance and is feminine in the best sense of the word. I loved it.
Kris
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this. The idea that you could get your hair cut while looking for a book and talking about books! A perfect world. Plus, I enjoyed her reading lists - heavy on the Southern lit which I love.
Leslie Jem
I would love to go to the author's salon/bookstore and have her cut my hair while we talk about books. It's always a pleasure to see someone else's reading lists and learn another reader's thoughts on reading
Lorraine
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read and very enjoyable about Kathy Patrick and the beginnning of her Pulpwood Queen book group. I orignally read ths book, since we are going to the convention and getting to meet Kathy. Totally enjoyable reading!
Charlene
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, bookclub, kindle
I Liked the book! Was very intresting to read!Being from Texas and knowing where a lot of these towns were, was neat! I enjoyed reading it and it left me with many more books I am wanting to add to my to read list! I can't wait to talk about this at the next book club meeting! :)
Margaret
May 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like books about books you will like this one.
The author has a beauty salon/book store. sounds like the perfect place to go. Lots of lists of books and ideas for book club. Recipes too.
Terri Hale
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an interesting memoir. I forgot I was reading a book, but instead felt like I was sitting in her shop listening to her tell the story.
Kellie Gilbert
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one! (and if you haven't joined the Pulpwood Queens yet, you are missing out!)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Greetings from The Pulpwood Queen! 1 7 Mar 20, 2010 10:35AM
  • The Center of the Universe
  • Bizarre Books
  • Why We Read What We Read: A Delightfully Opinionated Journey Through Bestselling Books
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • Women Who Love Books Too Much: Bibliophiles, Bluestockings & Prolific Pens from the Algonquin Hotel to the YA-YA Sisterhood
  • Curiosities of Literature
  • Christmas with Paula Deen: Recipes and Stories from My Favorite Holiday
  • Read This!: Handpicked Favorites from America's Indie Bookstores
  • Casanova Was a Librarian: A Light-Hearted Look at the Profession
  • Old Books, Rare Friends: Two Literary Sleuths and Their Shared Passion
  • It's Not Really About the Hair: The Honest Truth About Life, Love, and the Business of Beauty
  • A Pound of Paper: Confessions of a Book Addict
  • Bibliotopia Or, Mr. Gilbar's Book of Books & Catch-all of Literary Facts And Curiosities
  • Slightly Chipped: Footnotes in Booklore
  • 500 Great Books By Women
  • Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading
  • Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children's Book
  • Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction

“What could be more important than inspiring a child to read her first book and giving her the gift of confidence?” 0 likes
“When you try to label anything, you are limiting possibilities. We need to think more about perceiving things in the big picture instead of compartmentalizing everything into neat little boxes” 0 likes