Start by marking “The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)” as Want to Read:
The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)

The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek: Mirror Universe (Relaunch Continuity) #7)

One man can shape the future...but at what cost?

"In every revolution, there is one man with a vision."

Captain James T. Kirk of the United Federation of Planets spoke those prophetic words to Commander Spock of the Terran Empire, hoping to inspire change. He could not have imagined the impact his counsel would have.

Armed with a secret weapon of terrifying power and a
Published December 29th 2009 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published December 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Sorrows of Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sorrows of Empire

Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Among the best Star Trek books I have ever read (along with several great ones by Peter David). I have not read a lot of Star trek books but have always been a big fan of the "Mirror Universe" and so this book was a great find. Well written, well plotted and highly entertaining. Recommended!!
Terence
Apr 11, 2010 Terence rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ST geeks
Shelves: sf-fantasy, star-trek
Randy
Jan 20, 2014 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author David Mack gives a tale in the mIrror, Mirror universe where their Spock takes our Kirk's advice that one man can make a difference.

We get a story interspersed with snippets of their version of some of TOS episodes, the movies, other seris, even bringin in some of the book series(the Vanguard chunks were one though I haven't read them).

Spock uses the Tantalus device after killing Kirk and marches up the ranks. His long range plan is to get the Empire on a democratic footing. Foolhardy Mar
Charles
Dec 22, 2013 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I really enjoyed this. At the end of the Mirror, Mirror episode, our Kirk tells the Mirror Universe Spock that his empire is illogical and cannot survive. This story is what happens when that Spock takes Kirk's words seriously and he tries to change his universe. Very good characterization for the mirror universe I thought, although there are a few things that don't quite match. The story had heart, though, which I liked very much. Powerful ending. This book could have easily been pushed out to ...more
Jimyanni
May 14, 2016 Jimyanni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This book tells the overview of the story of how the Mirror Universe Spock acted after meeting the "normal" universe Kirk and being challenged to put an end to the waste of the evils of the Empire that he was a part of, how he succeeded and at what cost. A very balanced look at the question, "Does the end justify the means?" His goal, which he succeeded in accomplishing, was a very laudable one, but in order to reach it, he needed to "fight fire with fire", and become, in many ways, even more ev ...more
Shendara
Feb 12, 2010 Shendara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, 2015, star-trek, rr2015
An expanded version of the short novel from the "Mirror Universe: Glass Empires" anthology.
Matthew Kresal
Aug 03, 2014 Matthew Kresal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Original Series episode Mirror, Mirror is amongst the most iconic episodes in all of Star Trek. It's creation of a darker parallel universe in which the militaristic Terran Empire ruled in place of the Federation proved to be popular with both fans and the public at large, as evidenced by its frequent referencing and parodying. Yet it wasn't until 1994 though, with the Deep Space Nine episode Crossover, that there would be an onscreen return to the Mirror Universe which would reveal that the ...more
Stephen
Sep 13, 2014 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the original series episode "Mirror, Mirror", Star Trek heroes Kirk,McCoy Uhura, and Scotty inadvertently changed places with their counterparts in a mirror universe, alter egos who were agents of a galactic empire whose standard operating procedures tended more toward murder than peaceful negotiation. Surviving only by pretending to be imperial officers, the four managed to escaped back to their own universe -- but not before leaving an impact on the mirror universe's Mr. Spock, who was tant ...more
Nicky2910
Star Trek: Mirror Universe: The Sorrows of Empire by David Mack This novel is set entirely in the Mirror Universe, introduced in TOS's "Mirror, Mirror", and depicts the aftermath of said episode, Spock's rise to power and his trying to change the fate of his universe.

The overall theme is whether the ends justify the means: Spock's definitely not hesitant about using the Tantalus field to get rid of opponents (no matter how close they are to home), he's exterminating entire species, he's incitin
Theron Couch
Dec 11, 2013 Theron Couch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the engineered tragedy residing at the story’s heart, David Mack’s Star Trek Mirror Universe: The Sorrows of Empire is a fun romp for one reason: it has nothing to do with the main Star Trek timeline, so anything can happen.

This book bridges the original series episode “Mirror, Mirror” and the Deep Space Nine episode “Crossover” and mainly follows Spock as he attempts to reform a violent, conquest driven empire toward democracy and freedom. Mack’s portrayal of Spock is the winner through
Book Calendar
Feb 08, 2010 Book Calendar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Star Trek Mirror Universe, The Sorrows of Empire by David Mack

This is a novel of the Mirror Universe where there is no federation, but instead a dark empire run by humanity. Spock is Faustian, touched by a brief encounter with Captain Kirk from the other universe and seeing hope for a federation in his own universe, he sets out to change things.

This is Spock as a calculating villain. He murders the crew of the enterprise, assumes command of the enterprise, and systematically rises through the
Rebecca
So, I rewatched Mirror, Mirror to brush up before reading this. First of all, the actress portraying Marlena in the episode strikes me as pretty kickass compared to most of the Trek girls. This does not translate to the novel. That's OK, because it's really all about Spock.

Enter Mirror!Spock, the most interesting and creepy of the mirror cast. The humans are all kind of sadistic, but Spock is evil in that universe because it's just LOGICAL. And here we see that play out to the extreme conclusio
Rebecca Huston
Usually I avoid spin offs from television like the plague. When I was much younger, I devoured everything to do with Star Trek, and mind you, this was long before there were the films or the television series. In short, there wasn't much, so you took what you got.

This one does a great bit of storytelling about the alternate-universe Spock from the episode Mirror, Mirror and shows how he eventually took over the Empire -- and then some. Told as a series of vignettes, it's one that is smart, and
Magdalena Hunter
"In every revolution, there's one man with a vision."

Picking up at then end of the famous "Mirror Mirror" episode of the original series of Star Trek, this book follows the steps Mirror Universe Spock would take to become the Emperor in order to build a new and better universe.

It's to the author's credit that he has give the characters real depth and real logic for their actions. One of the best interactions is between Mirror Spock and his father Sarek. Also, you get to see what becomes of Marle
Patrick Hayes
Jan 03, 2015 Patrick Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was heaven to a Star Trek fan like me. This book follows 28 years of Mirror Universe Spock's attempt to change the Empire into a democracy. It fills in the gaps left between The Original Series' classic episode to the Mirror Universe episodes of Deep Space Nine.

There are several supporting characters who appear in this novel and it was incredible to see how they'd act in this environment. They include Saavik, the Deckers, Garth, and Carol Marcus.

If you're a fan of the shows, you'll know h
Douglas Graney
This story takes place in the alternate universe as portrayed in one of the original series episodes, where the "bad" version of the Enterprise crew plotted. However only Spock is significant in this story.

While Spock is an interesting character he's not able to carry a story on his back. It's analagous to Jerry Garcia playing in the Jerry Garcia Band. Just not as interesting as The Grateful Dead.

Anyway, there are obscure characters from the original series (remember Lt. Kevin Riley?) that mak
Kristina
Oct 12, 2016 Kristina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
If you're expecting a story involving the crew of the ISS Enterprise you'll be disappointed. This story follows Spock and Marlena following Kirk's advice to change their universe. To that end it is detailed and very well researched, linking in with other stories of the Mirror Universe series. Fans will spot lots of familiar references.
It does tend towards cursory storytelling since it has to cover several characters and political manoeuvres across 28 years. I was also unable to satisfactorily ac
Christopher Valin
I probably enjoyed this book more than the three stars would have you believe, but I did have a major problem with it, in that it was far too short for the story it was attempting to tell. Mack is a very good writer, and one of my favorite Star Trek authors, but it felt like he undertook an epic and left it just past the outline stage. Most of the chapters are short glimpses into a fairly long period of time, and with the number of characters he includes over the long span of the story there jus ...more
Friedrich Haas
Nov 04, 2012 Friedrich Haas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-wars
Lily
Feb 22, 2016 Lily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that David Mack did a spectacular job of taking the events of what happened at the end of the ep "Mirror, Mirror" and expanding them. It's a 'what happened next' type of story. I think it was not only logical but entirely plausible. There are so many plot twists, I found it very thoughtfully done, the characters were true to their nature and this Spock is absolutely calculating and a villain. It was a walk on the evil side that I thoroughly enjoyed and I highly recommend it.
Jo
Feb 13, 2010 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, mostly because it is well paced & well written and rings true to TOS. The goateed Mirror-Spock lives in a brutal violent world and after meeting "good" Kirk Spock is convinced of the merits of Kirk's arguments for change and attempts to right the wrongs of his universe. Many TOS characters from episodes, especially from season 3 appear, which only adds to the richness of the story. The plot moves well, is full of excitement, politics and classic Spock logic. Really enjoyed it and ...more
Murray Moore
Oct 20, 2012 Murray Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
This novel takes place in the mirror universe that was in the episode mirror mirror, at the end of the episode Kirk tells the mirror Spock that in every revolution there is one man with a vision.This novel is the story of the mirror Spock plan to bring down the empire. It is interesting to read about the mirror Spock using his Vulcan logic to destroy the empire. I highly recommend mirror universe The Sorrows of Empire.
rosalind
Dec 25, 2013 rosalind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: its-trekkie
really happy about star trek novels! this was a really great, really fun read, although spock's convoluted plot was believable for exactly zero seconds. that's okay, though. all i really care about is the gratuitous lesbian vulcans... and marlena, who is one of my favorite one-episode characters from tos. hats off to mack for writing three-dimensional female characters into what could've been a total dudebro Kill Aliens book.
Dan
Jan 02, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Star Trek novels I've had the pleasure of reading. Also, there is a follow-up to be published in December of 2011 entitled Rise Like Lions, which will see the 24th century conclusion of the Memory Omega storyline. I cannot wait to read it, as The Sorrows of Empire has made me thirsty for more of David Mack's vision of the mirror universe.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2011/10/s...
Nicole
Sep 22, 2016 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading these Mirror Universe books, especially after reading several DS9 books set in or partially in this universe. Should have probably read the Mirror Universe books before reading the DS9 books, however.

Loved reading a Spock story and enjoyed being surprised and delighted by a number of the plot-twists and turns.
Greg Lindsay
Dec 16, 2012 Greg Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Normally I don't care for the Mirror Universe stories. Though I do love the TOS episode. This book changed that. This is by far the BEST Mirror Universe story that I have read. It covers a HUGE time frame in the other universe and includes some famous/ well known names and events. This is highly entertaining and keeps your attention through out.
RUBEN B
May 27, 2016 RUBEN B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I liked the story, but I think that a lot more could have been done with the main characters, to show more of their strengths and weakness, it would have given more flavor to the story, for example, Uhura should not have died so easily or maybe even could have been the hero fighting along with spock.
Angela
Jul 24, 2016 Angela rated it liked it
This follows mirror universe Spock after her meets Kirk. He uses that experience to try and change the Empire to hasten its destruction. An interesting story that twists and turns. A good standalone read.
J.D.
Oct 06, 2014 J.D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
One man definitely can change history and destiny of his own. But the cost may be his own soul. You did what you wanted Spock. You won. AMAZINGLY written book, easily my favorite in Mirror Universe series.
Alex
Jun 23, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Asimov's Foundation meets the mirror universe in Star Trek. The Star Trek story weaver David Mack manages to create a yet another exciting story of conquest, death, rise to power and ambition in the great halls of the Terran Empire and on the bridges of its warships.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek Mirror Universe)
  • Star Trek: Mirror Universe Part II: Obsidian Alliances
  • Infinity's Prism (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #1)
  • Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations #1)
  • Echoes and Refractions (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #2)
  • Open Secrets (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • Troublesome Minds (Star Trek)
  • Rising Son (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Shattered Light (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #3)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
2620393
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than thirty novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), film, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or join his fans on Fac
More about David Mack...

Star Trek: Mirror Universe (Relaunch Continuity) (8 books)
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek Mirror Universe)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • The Soul Key (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Star Trek: Mirror Universe Part II: Obsidian Alliances
  • Rise Like Lions (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)