Start by marking “The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)” as Want to Read:
The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)

The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek: Mirror Universe (Relaunch Continuity) #7)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  23 reviews
One man can shape the future...but at what cost?

"In every revolution, there is one man with a vision."

Captain James T. Kirk of the United Federation of Planets spoke those prophetic words to Commander Spock of the Terran Empire, hoping to inspire change. He could not have imagined the impact his counsel would have.

Armed with a secret weapon of terrifying power and a
Published December 29th 2009 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published December 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Sorrows of Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sorrows of Empire

Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Among the best Star Trek books I have ever read (along with several great ones by Peter David). I have not read a lot of Star trek books but have always been a big fan of the "Mirror Universe" and so this book was a great find. Well written, well plotted and highly entertaining. Recommended!!
Terence
Apr 26, 2010 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ST geeks
Shelves: sf-fantasy, star-trek
Randy
Author David Mack gives a tale in the mIrror, Mirror universe where their Spock takes our Kirk's advice that one man can make a difference.

We get a story interspersed with snippets of their version of some of TOS episodes, the movies, other seris, even bringin in some of the book series(the Vanguard chunks were one though I haven't read them).

Spock uses the Tantalus device after killing Kirk and marches up the ranks. His long range plan is to get the Empire on a democratic footing. Foolhardy Mar
Charles
I really enjoyed this. At the end of the Mirror, Mirror episode, our Kirk tells the Mirror Universe Spock that his empire is illogical and cannot survive. This story is what happens when that Spock takes Kirk's words seriously and he tries to change his universe. Very good characterization for the mirror universe I thought, although there are a few things that don't quite match. The story had heart, though, which I liked very much. Powerful ending. This book could have easily been pushed out to ...more
Stephen
In the original series episode "Mirror, Mirror", Star Trek heroes Kirk,McCoy Uhura, and Scotty inadvertently changed places with their counterparts in a mirror universe, alter egos who were agents of a galactic empire whose standard operating procedures tended more toward murder than peaceful negotiation. Surviving only by pretending to be imperial officers, the four managed to escaped back to their own universe -- but not before leaving an impact on the mirror universe's Mr. Spock, who was tant ...more
Shendara
An expanded version of the short novel from the "Mirror Universe: Glass Empires" anthology.
Matthew Kresal
The Original Series episode Mirror, Mirror is amongst the most iconic episodes in all of Star Trek. It's creation of a darker parallel universe in which the militaristic Terran Empire ruled in place of the Federation proved to be popular with both fans and the public at large, as evidenced by its frequent referencing and parodying. Yet it wasn't until 1994 though, with the Deep Space Nine episode Crossover, that there would be an onscreen return to the Mirror Universe which would reveal that the ...more
Theron Couch
Despite the engineered tragedy residing at the story’s heart, David Mack’s Star Trek Mirror Universe: The Sorrows of Empire is a fun romp for one reason: it has nothing to do with the main Star Trek timeline, so anything can happen.

This book bridges the original series episode “Mirror, Mirror” and the Deep Space Nine episode “Crossover” and mainly follows Spock as he attempts to reform a violent, conquest driven empire toward democracy and freedom. Mack’s portrayal of Spock is the winner through
Book Calendar
Star Trek Mirror Universe, The Sorrows of Empire by David Mack

This is a novel of the Mirror Universe where there is no federation, but instead a dark empire run by humanity. Spock is Faustian, touched by a brief encounter with Captain Kirk from the other universe and seeing hope for a federation in his own universe, he sets out to change things.

This is Spock as a calculating villain. He murders the crew of the enterprise, assumes command of the enterprise, and systematically rises through the
Rebecca
So, I rewatched Mirror, Mirror to brush up before reading this. First of all, the actress portraying Marlena in the episode strikes me as pretty kickass compared to most of the Trek girls. This does not translate to the novel. That's OK, because it's really all about Spock.

Enter Mirror!Spock, the most interesting and creepy of the mirror cast. The humans are all kind of sadistic, but Spock is evil in that universe because it's just LOGICAL. And here we see that play out to the extreme conclusio
Rebecca Huston
Usually I avoid spin offs from television like the plague. When I was much younger, I devoured everything to do with Star Trek, and mind you, this was long before there were the films or the television series. In short, there wasn't much, so you took what you got.

This one does a great bit of storytelling about the alternate-universe Spock from the episode Mirror, Mirror and shows how he eventually took over the Empire -- and then some. Told as a series of vignettes, it's one that is smart, and
J.D.
One man definitely can change history and destiny of his own. But the cost may be his own soul. You did what you wanted Spock. You won. AMAZINGLY written book, easily my favorite in Mirror Universe series.
Christopher Valin
I probably enjoyed this book more than the three stars would have you believe, but I did have a major problem with it, in that it was far too short for the story it was attempting to tell. Mack is a very good writer, and one of my favorite Star Trek authors, but it felt like he undertook an epic and left it just past the outline stage. Most of the chapters are short glimpses into a fairly long period of time, and with the number of characters he includes over the long span of the story there jus ...more
Douglas Graney
This story takes place in the alternate universe as portrayed in one of the original series episodes, where the "bad" version of the Enterprise crew plotted. However only Spock is significant in this story.

While Spock is an interesting character he's not able to carry a story on his back. It's analagous to Jerry Garcia playing in the Jerry Garcia Band. Just not as interesting as The Grateful Dead.

Anyway, there are obscure characters from the original series (remember Lt. Kevin Riley?) that mak
Friedrich Haas
Jo
Fantastic, mostly because it is well paced & well written and rings true to TOS. The goateed Mirror-Spock lives in a brutal violent world and after meeting "good" Kirk Spock is convinced of the merits of Kirk's arguments for change and attempts to right the wrongs of his universe. Many TOS characters from episodes, especially from season 3 appear, which only adds to the richness of the story. The plot moves well, is full of excitement, politics and classic Spock logic. Really enjoyed it and ...more
rosalind
really happy about star trek novels! this was a really great, really fun read, although spock's convoluted plot was believable for exactly zero seconds. that's okay, though. all i really care about is the gratuitous lesbian vulcans... and marlena, who is one of my favorite one-episode characters from tos. hats off to mack for writing three-dimensional female characters into what could've been a total dudebro Kill Aliens book.
Mariam aka MiMi
fast-paced. Love the female secondary character.
Dan
One of the best Star Trek novels I've had the pleasure of reading. Also, there is a follow-up to be published in December of 2011 entitled Rise Like Lions, which will see the 24th century conclusion of the Memory Omega storyline. I cannot wait to read it, as The Sorrows of Empire has made me thirsty for more of David Mack's vision of the mirror universe.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2011/10/s...
Murray Moore
This novel takes place in the mirror universe that was in the episode mirror mirror, at the end of the episode Kirk tells the mirror Spock that in every revolution there is one man with a vision.This novel is the story of the mirror Spock plan to bring down the empire. It is interesting to read about the mirror Spock using his Vulcan logic to destroy the empire. I highly recommend mirror universe The Sorrows of Empire.
Greg Lindsay
Normally I don't care for the Mirror Universe stories. Though I do love the TOS episode. This book changed that. This is by far the BEST Mirror Universe story that I have read. It covers a HUGE time frame in the other universe and includes some famous/ well known names and events. This is highly entertaining and keeps your attention through out.
Matt
An enjoyable book with Spock, and the star trek mirror universe. It was a good story that was told over a period of decades.
Mary Jane
Wonderful book
George
George marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek Mirror Universe)
  • Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Obsidian Alliances
  • Infinity's Prism (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #1)
  • Echoes and Refractions (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #2)
  • Open Secrets (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)
  • Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #1)
  • Star Trek: Voyager: Children of the Storm
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • Troublesome Minds (Star Trek)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
  • Shattered Light (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #3)
  • Rising Son (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #52)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
2620393
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of many Star Trek novels, including the Destiny trilogy and the acclaimed Vanguard series. His scripting credits include episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Mack's first work of original fiction, a supernatural thriller titled The Calling, was published to critical acclaim in July 2009 by Simon & Schuster.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanma
More about David Mack...

Star Trek: Mirror Universe (Relaunch Continuity) (8 books)
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek Mirror Universe)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • The Soul Key (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Obsidian Alliances
  • Rise Like Lions (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1) Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3) Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2) The Persistence of Memory (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #1) Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)