Start by marking “Tales of Ancient Egypt” as Want to Read:
Tales of Ancient Egypt

Tales of Ancient Egypt

Features stories that include the great myths - of Amen-Ra, who created all the creatures in the world; of Isis, searching the waters for her dead husband Osiris; of the Bennu Bird and the Book of Thoth. But there are also tales told for pleasure about magic, treasure and adventure - even the first ever Cinderella story.
Published August 1st 1996 by Puffin (first published 1967)

Wanda
If I have ever read a book of Egyptian myths before, I don’t remember it. This little volume was a very pleasant introduction to the Egyptian mythos—something that I’ve learned by osmosis while reading books about the land’s history and art and reading fiction set in Ancient Egypt. As in most mythologies, there are unexpected treasures.

The man who polished these little tales was a friend of C.S. Lewis and seems to have made his reputation on rewriting myths and legends for the children’s market.
Philip
So, Roger Lancelyn Green was in The Inklings. ...Who knew? The Inklings, right? That literary group C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were in? With a bunch of other people everybody forgets? Well, Roger Lancelyn Green was in it - at least according to the "Author File" in the back of the Puffin book. ...And Wikipedia... Of course, a little more internet sleuthing said he wasn't a member, but rather someone who was friends with other Inklings, and occasionally attended their meetings.

Also, he was the
Alp
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're deeply interested in Ancient Egypt stories, mythology etc you'll find this book very interesting and informative. Except the last chapter it is quite interesting; it refers papyruses, drawings and scriptions, and that makes the impression book gives more like a documentary then a usual story books. Language is OK, but in my opinion you need to have a map of Egypt in your mind while reading the book. I was trying to match the story with the location, told in the final chapters.
Knowing(
সালমান হক
আমার পড়া সবচেয়ে অদভুত মিথ হচছে জাপানিজ মিথ, এরপরেই ইজিপশিয়ান । রজার লযানসেলিন গরিনের এই বইটিতে যে শুধু দেবদেবীদের দেখা মিলবে তা নয়, পরাচীণ মিশরের অনেক কেচছা-কাহিনীও জানা যাবে ।

অনুবাদকদবয়ের কাজ পরশংসনীয়, ঝরঝরে । :)
Lucas Weidner
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
”Egypt has always been a land of mystery and magic - a land different from all others, difficult to understand, apart and alien, yet strangely fascinating.”

A great collection of myths from the time where the greatest ancient civilization was in its full swing! Told in a fun and easy to understand way, this book can be sure to delight all types of people of all ages.

Saying that, however, I do wish more depth was given to certain stories, like the story of the Egyptian version of creation, and som
Lisa
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: homeschooling
These stories were interesting but pretty hard to read and remember everything for the age level it was required for. Pretty tedious reading. I read most of them out loud with my son as it was pretty difficult reading level.
Learned a lot and it was interesting.
Allison
Oct 30, 2018 added it
Shelves: for-school
/ for school.
Julia
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythoi, z-format-book
For the beginning reader of Ancient Egyptian lore this is a wonderful starter book that dives into some of the most common stories that can be found in the land of pyramids, desert and exotic gods. What makes it so intriguing to the reader is the fact that the author has compiled it so that it follows a certain timeline within its section of stories although without using dates.

What disappointed me the most is the fact that there are actually more lore from Ancient Egypt then what was provided
Willem van den Oever
Tales from Ancient Egypt’ offers a collection of easy readable stories, presenting a wonderful introduction to the legends and legacy of Ancient Egypt for children and adults alike. The way Roger Lancelyn Green has penned down these stories makes them read like fairytales, cautionary tales about the value of honor, friendship and loyalty. With each story only taking about ten pages or less, they do sometimes regrettably lack in details due their short span. Yet, they remain thoroughly entertain ...more
Raquel Laforet
El "Dioses y héroes de la Antigua Grecia" de la mitología egipcia. Cuentos orientados a un público infantil, con algo de historia y mitología; no demasiado interesante para profundizar en la cultura egipcia.
Dina
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
its a good book having many entertaining stories and gives you a glimpse about pharaohs, how they lived and what they believed in
Maeve
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in learning about Ancient Egyptian Culture
As it is specified in the title of this novel, this book is a collection of stories from ancient Egypt. The stories are divided into subcategories, some about adventures and other lands (many about Grecians, one even telling about the Greek princess Helen), some about magic, and some about the gods. As I am a great fan of mythologies and just learned about ancient river valleys, including the Nile River Valley, I thought it appropriate to read this book now. Most stories were about pharaohs and ...more
Final Frontier Books
Read the full review on my blog, Final Frontier Books!

3.5/5 stars

So, why should you read this book?
If you're fascinated by any form of mythology, this is a great introduction to the lesser-known Egyptian mythology that I would definitely recommend!

My opinion
I'm going to put this out there: I love mythology. There's something deeply inspiring and touching about reading the stories of people that lived hundreds and thousands of years before me. Those stories reveal such a different world from ours
Urbi Chatterjee
I bought this book ages ago, but only just picked it up in August because I have a paper on Ancient Egypt this semester, and I thought it would be a fun idea to read this parallel to my coursework. This is a delightful collection of stories that have been collected from papyrii and tomb inscriptions, and is a window into the lives of people from a civilization that flourished for 3500 years and was already ancient before the birth of Christianity. The stories are narrated in such a manner that o ...more
Chloe
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up for a dollar at one of my favorite used bookstores because I loved Ancient Egyptian stuff as a kid. I knew who all the Egyptian gods were, but somehow I'd never been able to sit down and read stories from the Egyptian pantheon. I'm glad I picked up this book - it's a quick read, the stories are fun (and many were new to me!), it's got a few charming illustrations, and I really loved seeing how the later stories incorporate the Greek gods (The Story of the Greek Princess is about ...more
DaFDC
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Very informative and helpful prologue, and the stories are well organized with the helpful timeline in the back of the book. I liked the selection of ancient stories, as well.But The stories themselves are incredibly dull compared to Green’s other retellings. This may be due to the source material being so much older and very different from those other retellings, but regardless, I didn't enjoy reading them.
Amanda Ure
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This constitutes one of several companion volumes, but in particular for 'Tales Of The Greek Heroes'. It's about as good, and again constitutes an engaging introduction to Ancient Egyptian mythology. As an adult I can see strong connections between this and the Old Testament in some places, which is also very interesting. It's not quite as absorbing as 'Tales Of The Greek Myths' but it is more absorbent! Don't ask.
Roberta Decenzo
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. It really helped pull together the Egyptian Gods for me which seemed altogether disconnected until now. The stories are very fun and fast to read! It comes in sections including stories of gods, magic, and adventure so not all the gods are mentioned but it is a really good starting point. So glad I picked this up!
Neeraj SK
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting read but not the usual anthology. If you expect great adventures and plotlines like that in the movie 'The Mummy' (Which I did expect), do not go for this book.

Although, if you want to get a quick insight into why Egypt and its myths are such effectively amusing basis to build up the majority of films and novels upon, then certainly this is the book for you.
Tomkat
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The myths are related in here in a child-tale fashion like. The best example is the myth of Seth and Laurie which leaves aside certain details. It is a work for young students, perhaps of early grades and that is fine but the title of the book should make it clear. That said is well-written and offers a good overlook on Egyptian mythology. I'd say it is a good place where to start.
David  Shelby
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, mythology
Egyptian mythology is not as fascinating as Greek, and many would agree with that. However, Egyptian mythology is surreal and fascinating and is the sort of thing that any mythology lover should read. Green's version of the stories does a good job making the material easy for average readers to understand, in spite of the bizarre nature of spirits and magic.
Savvy Reads
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really great retelling, but a couple of the stories did feel a little long. The tales about the gods were amazing and there was also an Egyptian version of the tale of the Fall of Troy and Cinderella, which was really cool!
Crystal
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

This book really can be read by anyone I felt as if I were in the stories and not just imagining them You really get to go in the adventures as the gods and there subjects. Truly enjoyable read to start the year
Asaria
3.5 -> 3
Well written, enjoyable collection. It's very easy to recognize the period legend or myths come from. From Hatshepsut's propaganda to nods to Illiad, everyone will find something for themselves.
Angie Orlando
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a cool, easy to follow portrayal of ancient Egypt. It begins with the gods, and then has stories of magic and adventure. The book is not too long or super complicated, nor is it too easy to read (which is the case of some children’s books I’ve found on the subject.)
Samantha Bee
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read. Probably good for people beginning to get into Egyptian mythology and folklore. My only complaint is that I was hoping for more mythology and less folklore. But the stories are good reads regardless.
MJ
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading this book,

It delivers less than I expected, therefore I will give this book a 3 star.

The ancient stories are fascinating but the writing by the author is of poor quality and unclear.

Kathleen
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly entertaining!

Get ready for some great adventure and romance that bring ancient Egypt to life! I thoroughly enjoyed all of these stories that combine Egyptian mythology with folklore and superb story telling.
Michael Duckworth
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I love the story of egipcians and all related to it. I absolutely loved it.
Serena Britton
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intetesting

Brilliant, deep and thought provoking. No wonder they call them the classics. Especially the book of Thoth. And the girl with red shoes.
  • Ancient Egypt
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • Greek Myths
  • Archimedes and the Door of Science
  • Tutankhamen's Gift
  • The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
  • The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)
  • In Search of a Homeland: The Story of the Aeneid
  • Ancient Egyptian Magic
  • Mummies Made in Egypt
  • Augustus Caesar's World
  • Cleopatra
Roger (Gilbert) Lancelyn Green was a British biographer and children's writer. He was an Oxford academic who formed part of the Inklings literary discussion group along with C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. Born in 1918 in Norwich, England, Green studied under C. S. Lewis at Merton College, Oxford, where he obtained a B.Litt. degree. He delivered the 1968 Andrew Lang lecture. Green lived in Cheshire ...more
“No longer are you Sekhmet the Slayer: you are Hathor the Lady of Love. Yet your power over mankind shall be greater even than it was – for the passion of love shall be stronger than the passion of hate, and all shall know love, and all shall be your victims.” 1 likes
“[He] would have cried out in horror if the silence had not pressed like a weight that held him paralyzed.” 0 likes