Start by marking “The Morning Star (Shadow of the Templar, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Morning Star (Shadow of the Templar, #1)

The Morning Star

(Shadow of the Templar #1)

Simon Drake is an up-and-coming young FBI hotshot, an agent with a personal track record so outstanding that it borders on unbelievable. Not yet thirty, he's already the leader of his own special ops team; a ragtag bunch of talented but nigh-uncontrollable lunatics, it's true, but under Simon's inspired leadership they're a force to be reckoned with, a team with an ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 138 pages
Published May 13th 2009 by LuLu (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Morning Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Morning Star

Start your review of The Morning Star (Shadow of the Templar, #1)
✨    jamieson   ✨

When someone tells me they enjoyed a book as much as The Foxhole Court I pay attention. I've heard a lot of good things about this series through Twitter, and seen it compared to The Foxhole Court a few times, so I had to read it.

Picture this: Notorious art thief
Simone
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***3.5 Stars***
... and then he grabbed Simon's face in both hands and kissed him fiercely.

Yeah, and that is -almost- all romance you will get in this book, which is really a shame because Simon and Jeremy have so much chemistry they could light a match. Their banter was bordering on stellar and provided great amusement. Umm, in other words... I was grinning like a fool when they fought their verbal battles.

Come on, a thief, in this case Jeremy Archer aka Shadow (yeah well, not his
Ami
I might be the minority in a number of good reviews around here. But fun/entertainment is a personal thing and on that note, I have to say that this book failed to entertain me. I didn't find it fun. The extra 0.5 stars was for the short-lived entertainment and the fade-to-black sex scene:

Confession #1
I put it down a couple of times before I finally able to finish it. That should be a sign already. All the code-names made my brain hurt. I noted it down this time, but after awhile it
Kaje Harper
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, light, m-m, mystery
Now that was fun! A high-tech cat burglar meets up with an FBI agent in a bad-guy-world-domination scenario, and the sparks fly. The banter is set on stun, the stunts are great, there is a snarky team of back-up agents and the sexual tension is hot. (Although any actual sex is off-page)

Simon Drake, inevitably codenamed "Templar" after The Saint, is a top FBI team leader. His eclectic group of experts normally wouldn't be bothered with a jewel thief like Jeremy Archer, but the theft ties into a
SheReadsALot
This was a first time foray into the deviously funny mind of M. Chandler. It won't be my last. The action's high, the sexual tension high (unfortunately smut fans, it's not taken care of within the book - mere kisses, flirting and minor groping involved) but the story is reminiscent of Cut & Run, "Ocean's Eleven" and one of those really good spy movies. (take your pick) If those 3 things had a baby, it'd be The Morning Star with a smart aleck FBI agent and wickedly humorous British thief ...more
Natasha
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun!

Really fun! I liked this. I love enemies to lovers, so this fits the bill.

Also, I liked how the character's sexuality didn't play an obvious role. Sure, there's some steamy bits, but no one is blatantly obvious. It's an afterthought to the plot, which is great fun!

I can't wait to read the next one. It's already lined up on my iPad.

I would recommend this.
Lenore

Ocean's Eleven meets The Saint. Or Jeffrey Archer (aka The Shadow), art thief extraordinaire, meets Simon Drake (aka Templar), FBI super-agent.

It reads like an adapted action movie script. High on the action, so-so on the UST, low on the smut. Well-done and entertaining nonetheless.

I'll definitely be reading the next installment.
Tasha
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm kinda speechless. This series is going to be my next obsession.
This book was incredibly fun to read. The humour is so good and the banter is just perfect.
Simon and Jeremy, man. I love them.
Elizabetta
This is excellent and fun stuff. At times it reads like a 60’s era crime thriller with cool, urbane protagonists spouting sharp, witty dialogue, but the hi-tech gadgetry snaps you right back to present day.

Here, a crack team of FBI agents work to undermine a madman’s nefarious plan to launch a deadly, weaponed ‘Morning Star’ satellite. The plot also involves a notorious jewel thief...who may have his eye on more than the big shiny diamond that the evil bad guy hires him to steal in order to
* A Reader Obsessed *
3 Stars

Update
I found the missing scene after the ending…. http://mchandler.org/sott/stories/msc...

Reader alert! If you're expecting a romance be fair warned that you're not going to get it. If you're expecting an action/caper story then you're in the right place. This book plays out like one of those Mission Impossible movies - a group of agents (FBI in this case) must thwart a mad terrorist's plan with the help of an infamous thief. That part is entertaining and likable. Regarding the 2
Meep
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun, light hearted spy caper, Chandler on her site states it's not up to publishing standard - personally I think it better than many published stories; the writting is good, plot imaginative, the characters interesting.

This is the first installment and the dynamic of the team comes across well although the side characters don't really stand out at this point, except for Sandra on account of being the lone female. I caught myself trying to distinguish between Mike and Johnny on
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I loved this book. It was a fast read for me. There's funny banter and bickering throughout the whole story. If it's not Simon and his team shooting the shit, it's Jeremy and Simon going back and forth. To me, it was a non-stop funny read. Just their names were hilarious to me. Specs, Specs Two, Springheel, Honda, Texas and Templar and don't forget Shadow. I just couldn't help but smile and give a little chuckle. And I really enjoyed the fact that Jeremy was a thief while Simon is the agent, ...more
Melissa
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: Shelby
Wow…what a great book! It was smart and fun and sexy!! There were good guys and bad guys and guys that lay somewhere in between! Spys and jewel thieves and FBI! Gun fights and snarky comments and really, really good banter! And sexual tension…yes and let me warn you…you will have blue balls….as in no relief…Cliffhanger blue balls from hell!!

My only regret…Book 2 is NOT on my Gang Bang List WTF was I thinking!!!!!
fleurette
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a very nice story that I truly enjoyed.

I have a great weakness for criminals of all kinds, and thieves in particular. And the thief combined with superagents … Eh, everything I love. Jeremy Archer reminds me a lot of Neal Caffrey of the White Collars TV series. In the best possible way. He is canny, intelligent and charming. And he has a whole arsenal of fantastic gadgets. I really liked him.

Simon Drake is a good pair for him. Their whole relationship reminds me a bit of Jack and Ethan
c, (½ of readsrainbow)
“He was fucking with us pretty hard in the saferoom,” Sandra called from the front of the plane’s undercarriage. “Aw, Sandy, that wasn’t fucking,” Simon said. “That was just, I don’t know, really obnoxious foreplay or something.”

Rep: gay mc, bi mc

OK, this is going to be a pretty short review because I read this long enough ago that I can only vaguely remember what went down.

I genuinely didn't expect to enjoy this one as much as I did. It was a free read on the author's website so I figured it
Aiko
Spiderman mixed with James Bond makes Jeremy. Jeremy meets Indiana Jones gone funny FBI agent, also known as Simon. They decide to fight terrorism comedy-style. The result is highly entertaining.
Krissy
Cute read with several LOL moments. I would have rated it higher if there was a little more to the "romance" aspect of the story.
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I really enjoyed this book. It's not complicated or overwhelming, it's just a lot of fun.

Simon is an FBI agent, trying to prevent the theft of a diamond. Jeremy is a thief with second thoughts about his stealing. They are forced to become allies and retrieve the precious stone from the real bad guy.

The story is not very long, and it reads like the first episode of a TV series. It's not explicit, but Jeremy gets more and more blatant in his attempt in seducing Simon and he succeeds so unabashedly
Kathleen
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kathleen by: Katie
This was fun FBI/Jewel Heist/Criminal turned semi-good guy romp. It had a serious plot but didn't take itself to seriously. The whole book sort felt like it was flirting with the reader just as the two MCs were flirting with each other. I definitely look forward to seeing how these two move beyond flirtation (yes there was sex in the book but feel of their relationship is largely still in the flirting stage) in the next books in the series. The set up is such that I can see this being a rich ...more
Chris
Very good m/m romantic suspense, heavier on the suspense than the romance, about an FBI agent and an elusive jewel thief. I've definitely read books that cost a lot more than this ($0.95) that weren't anywhere near as good! Also, make yourself a post-it to keep track of the team's names and codenames - thanks for the tip, Kassa!
Shelby
Well that was pure unadulterated fantastic fun! I did not expect to like this book anywhere near as much as I did. In fact I had no clue what I was getting into when I started. But now I’m in love and I want the next book! I am immediately reminded of one of my fav tv shows...this is so "White Collar" with a hint of some James Bond action. :D

Simon “Templar” Drake is the hotshot leader of one balls to the wall tough as nails FBI special ops team. Team Templar is astoundingly good at what they do.
Katelynn
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, romance, lgbtq, thriller
So uh. I accidentally read all of this in one evening. Not that it was particularly difficult... also, I'm nothing if not a pro at reading fic on the internet.

I'm sort of helplessly charmed by all of this. Not that it wasn't without its flaws, but none of them were so glaring as to be off-putting in the slightest.

I found the sheer number of characters thrown at me a bit overwhelming. And the lack of any real identification or description besides their names (and codenames, to make things more
Feliz
This series was more or less what got me hooked on m/m. I loved all four books. They're all so over-the top it's just fantastic-

Simon Drake (aka Templar)leads a VERY special FBI investigations team. Currently they are protecting a multimillion dollar diamond, the Morning Star. When cat-burglar Jeremy steals the rock out from under their noses, Simon is fuming. What pleasant surprise that Jeremy gets robbed of the diamond too and now joins forces with Team Templar in order to stop the actual
Brandilyn
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free, mm, read-2012
This book literally had me laughing out loud. The banter between Shadow and Templar was great as was the banter within Templar's team. I will be reading the rest of the series soon!
Silvia
Jun 29, 2017 marked it as dnf
Shelves: mm-romance
I'm just going to quietly put this on hold...........................
Heather C
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nikyta has been trying to get me to read this series for years! Well, she finally got the opportunity to force me to at least start it this time. Honestly, there was never any real reason why I’ve been putting it off. Maybe because I knew once I read the first one, I would want to read them ALL?
Simon Drake, head of FBI’s special-ops Team Templar, has one immediate goal: to nail the infamous art thief, Jeremy Archer to the wall! Urm…you know what I mean. And of course, it doesn’t turn out exactly
karlakolumna
Re-read (18/8/2016):

Also: currently re-watching White Collar..... Coincidence?
We'll probably never know--mysteries of the universe and all that.^^

Anyway: Still loving this book, this series, the (crazy-as-fuck) characters and all that delicious banter....
__________________________

1st read (18/12/2011):

I really do like this book a lot. 4.5 stars.

You just have to love the banter between the FBI team members as well as between Jeremy Archer - internationally wanted master thief - and Simon Drake
Contrarius
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The Morning Star is the first in a series of breezy stories in a sort of FBI/It-Takes-A-Thief/James-Bond-Lite tradition. They are chock full of Olympic quality snark -- with a good bit of action to give the snark a break every now and then, and a little romance on the side just to spice things up a bit. The romance does involve two men -- but nearly all the sex scenes are conducted off screen, so even squeamish readers don't have much to worry about here.

I found these stories as I was surfing
Trix
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This gets a 4 star rating because the romance bit seemed a bit forced-wedged in the story. Simon's preference was pretty subtle in the book, making me wonder if he was bisexual, gay or just straight and enjoying gay jokes. And the sudden turn from flirty banter to hands-on approach was surprising, especially during an action scene. Seemed out of place for someone pretending to be a professional federal agent.

But other than that, I enjoyed the story. With such subtle hints towards any sexual vibe
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Raven King (All for the Game, #2)
  • Endurance (Iron Breakers, #2)
  • Stag's Run (Iron Breakers, #1)
  • Evenfall (In the Company of Shadows, #1)
  • The King's Men (All for the Game, #3)
  • Lord of the White Hell, Book 1 (Lord of the White Hell, #1)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
  • Afterimage (In the Company of Shadows, #2)
  • The Floodgates (Iron Breakers, #3)
  • The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1)
  • Servants of the Crossed Arrows (Rifter #2)
  • The Foxhole Court (All for the Game, #1)
  • Fade (In the Company of Shadows, #4)
  • Mind Fuck (The Administration, #1)
  • Houseboat on the Nile (Spy vs. Spook, #1)
  • Superior
  • A Light Amongst Shadows (Dark is the Night, #1)
M. Chandler is a lady of a certain age, currently wandering around the Seattle area. Whenever she manages to make her way home, she writes action-oriented fiction that tends to be heavy on the gay themes.

She has a website with lots of free fiction, a Facebook fan page, and, God help us, a Twitter.

Shadow of the Templar (4 books)
  • Double Down (Shadow of the Templar, #2)
  • With a Bullet (Shadow of the Templar, #3)
  • High Fidelity (Shadow of the Templar, #4)
9 likes
“In that case, hell, I'll even spring for the coffee. Unless you're some kind of damned tea-drinking Englishman, in which case you can buy your own dirty leafy water."

"Drink tea in America?" Jeremy's eyebrow twitched upwards in disbelief. "I'm not that sort of masochist. Coffee, at least, has the benefit of being horrible the world over, so it doesn't matter where you get it."

Simon eyed him narrowly. "And to think I was almost not hating you."

Jeremy blinked, feigning confusion. "Goodness. Did I say something wrong?”
3 likes