Start by marking “The Brother/Sister Plays” as Want to Read:
The Brother/Sister Plays

The Brother/Sister Plays

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
“McCraney’s richly drawn characters and colloquial poetry . . . manages to sound both epic and rooted in a specific place. Listen closely, and you might hear that thrilling sound that is one of the main reasons we go to the theater, that beautiful music of a new voice.”—The New York Times

“Taut, expressive drama, The Brothers Size realizes the potential of theater to elevat
Published August 17th 2010 by Theatre Communications Group (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Brother/Sister Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brother/Sister Plays

Daniel
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Innovative with a fully formed voice. A cool triptych—of the three, Brothers Size I think is best both standalone and in conjunction—just a huge emotional wallop in the middle there. Spoken stage directions are lyrical and genius. First is a little underdeveloped as story? Marcus is haunting and thick with adolescent lust but unsure if its climax speaks fully to the rest of the play.

Major accomplishment overall.
Christian Marquise
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: facebook-club
The book consisted of three plays that were phenomenal. Each play was intertwined but could stand out on it's on. There were many layers to the book; it dealt with sexuality, longing, loneliness, decision making, unrequited love, loyalty, incarceration and recidivism in the black community, etc. I found myself not being able to put the book down, and mind you it is a play and reads as such. I definitely recommend this play.
Marissa
(4 stars for In the Red & Brown Water; 5 stars for The Brothers Size; 3 stars for Marcus.)

It’s not every day that a twentysomething playwright writes an ambitious trilogy that blends spoken stage directions, free-verse poetry, Yoruba mythology, and contemporary slang to tell the stories of an African-American community in the Louisiana bayou. But that’s Tarell Alvin McCraney’s achievement in his Brother/Sister Plays.

In the Red & Brown Water is our introduction to this world, and to McCra
Peter Orvetti
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to see two of these plays -- "The Brothers Size" and "Marcus; Or the Secret of Sweet" -- on stage before I read this volume. Of the three, "The Brothers Size" is my favorite, though they work best as a trilogy as intended. I do think it might be hard to appreciate McCraney's work just by reading the scripts, since the plays are very movement-based and use sound and silence in addition to language that is sometimes hard to accurately transcribe.

One oddity of "The Brother/Sister
Eli
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, queer, theater, 2014
I have trouble writing coherent reviews for 5-star books. Something happens when I read them, something transcendent that leaves me without words. So. These scripts are beautiful, some of the few that are as amazing on the page as they are on the stage. McCraney understands that playwriting is poetry as much as anything else, and there is beauty, humor, heartbreak, and truth on every single page. A treasure.
Nathan
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Book. Different than Stage. Forced to imagine.

Book, enjoyed the book, but

Look forward to seeing it on stage

Where I can see how such strange

Dialogue