Jump to ratings and reviews

What Matters Now

Description

Now, more than ever, we need to shake things up.

Newauthors

Now, more than ever, we need a different way of thinking, a useful way to focus and the energy to turn the game around. I hope a new ebook I've organized will get you started on that path. It took months, but I think you'll find it worth the effort. (Download here).

Here are more than seventy big thinkers, each sharing an idea for you to think about as we head into the new year. From bestselling author Elizabeth Gilbert to brilliant tech thinker Kevin Kelly, from publisher Tim O'Reilly to radio host Dave Ramsey, there are some important people riffing about important ideas here. The ebook includes Tom Peters, Fred Wilson, Jackie Huba and Jason Fried, along with Gina Trapani, Bill Taylor and Alan Webber.

Here's the deal: it's free. Download it here. Or from any of the many sites around the web that are posting it with insightful commentary. Tweet it, email it, post it on your own site. I think it might be fun to make up your own riff and post it on your blog or online profile as well. It's a good exercise. Can we get this in the hands of 5 million people? You can find an easy to use version on Scribd as well and from wepapers. Please share.

2downloadfree Have fun. Here's to a year with ideas even bigger than these.

Here's a lens with all the links plus an astonishing array of books by our authors.

NEW BONUS: A different coop ebook, (click for free download) this time with contributions from authors that include JC Hutchins, Cory Doctorow, Joseph

Get the free e-book at http://sethgodin.typepad.com/files/wh...

82 pages, ebook

First published January 1, 2009

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Seth Godin

198 books5,724 followers
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the industry's leading interactive direct marketing company, which Yahoo! acquired in late 1998.

He holds an MBA from Stanford, and was called "the Ultimate Entrepreneur for the Information Age" by Business Week.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
11 (6%)
1 star
3 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews
Profile Image for Almothana Alghunaim.
51 reviews5 followers
June 5, 2011
خلاصة خبرة مجموعة من الناس (رؤساء الشركات، كتاب، مصممين و أساتذة جامعات). أعجبني فيه أمران:
- الأفكار المقتبسة فيه و أسلوب عرضها.
- الإبداع و الابتكار في تصميم العناوين.

الكتاب بشكل عام جيد و هو ليس كتاباً علمياً، و غير متخصص في مجال أو موضوع معين. و يعتبر من الكتب التي تخرج منها بجعبة من الأفكار التي قد تكون ملهمة لك.

إضافة:
النسخة الالكترونية من الكتاب "مجانية"، و بإمكانكم تنزيلها من موقع المؤلف Seth Godin من هذا الرابط http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_bl...
Profile Image for Aaron.
199 reviews1 follower
January 31, 2011
An electronic, free collection of "micro-essays" released at the beginning of 2010, What Matters Now espouses the benefits and pratfalls of "Web 2.0," the "digital economy," and the power of social media. Although these are bite-sized platitudes written mostly by bloggers and Twitter users, there are some interesting ideas that could be pursued (by following my blog/Twitter feed/Facebook page!).

I guess the one thing this made me realize is that with all these thinkers out there, I rarely give my own thought to what I read/watch/listen to, and what matters to me. I, at times, consume for consumption's sake (I've been reading at breakneck speed lately in order to pare down my backlog of books, and I'm starting to acquire a list of "must-listen podcasts" that I doubt is sustainable). As I did in 2010, my goal for the year is simply to acquire better balanace between work/life, physical/mental activity, and marital/family/friend relationships; I might add to this list consuming/processing.
Profile Image for Anton Antonov.
197 reviews50 followers
January 21, 2015
What Matters Now is a showcase for today's person's interests.

The collection of micro-essays are an inspirational, motivation but most of all a realization for ourselves. How to make the most of the information we're served daily by TVs, social networks, blogs and how to keep our sanity in the process.

If you're a techie person, you'll enjoy the TEchnology, Web 2.0 and Government 2.0 essays. They're covering topics that came to stay for the foreseeable future.

But in general the Social Skills, Willpower and Neoteny essays will appeal to most of the audience. Neoteny especially is something we don't address a lot nowadays. It's rare to see someone making benefits from neoteny, but the chapter surely convinced me into that.

At last, this is a free e-book written in an accessible to many, writing style. Do yourself a favor and read it in your free time, you'll enjoy it!
Profile Image for Angela Randall.
Author 44 books305 followers
July 16, 2011
This book had some occasional moments of brilliance mixed with some okay ideas. It also seriously could have used a good editor. *sigh*

I especially loved Tim O'Reilly's idea for Government 2.0, Ramit Seth's thoughts on willpower, Gina Trapini's ways to make things happen and Derek Sivers' thoughts on passion.

This is one of those books from which everyone will gain something different with each read. It only takes a little while to read the whole thing, so it's worth taking a look.

A printed version of this would make a great coffee-table book, but the free ebook is available here.
Profile Image for Xtntm.
39 reviews48 followers
January 16, 2013
I think it was a nice idea that the author came up with this compilation and made it available online as a free ebook for sharing with other readers. One page was allocated to eacH contributor, focusing on a different topic with either practical tips, philosophical discussions or some other write up.
Profile Image for Gina.
47 reviews
September 27, 2011
Great FREE e-book that is worth the time to read. There are many inspirational quotes, comments and reflections that deserve to be given a chance to digest. It may change your life! Thank you for sharing!!!
Profile Image for REEM.
86 reviews
January 29, 2012
I'n really asking myself now, what was this book about? I guess the writer do have much experience in business but not in writing this experience at this book, as I lost the ideas, or maybe too much ones! But I loved the book design in general!
Profile Image for C Pure.
136 reviews36 followers
August 17, 2012
Direct inspiration for various topics. It's a great boost to certain areas you maybe lacking in and provides additional information on the writers and their other publications. Brilliant collaboration.
Profile Image for Peter.
32 reviews14 followers
December 31, 2009
Lots of great advice in the book. All in short 1-page mini articles from lots of great thinkers.
Profile Image for Alex.
157 reviews39 followers
May 27, 2013
Nothing revolutionary. Inspiring and interesting at best.
Profile Image for Sandeep Gautam.
Author 1 book23 followers
October 11, 2015
a good concept. a free eBook consisting of thoughts of some contemporary thinkers, movers and shakers. Some of them do make you stop and think!
Profile Image for Melissa.
16 reviews
June 14, 2017

I enjoyed this book. It is a wonderful book to reach for when you need a quick spot of inspiration or a bit of motivational fresh perspective.
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.