Start by marking “Accidents Waiting to Happen” as Want to Read:

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  1,630 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews
Josh Michaels is a happily married family man from Sacramento with dark secrets he wouldn't want his family to know. Eight years ago, he took a kickback to pay for his daughter's medical bills when she was born and had major medical problems. Stupidly, he confessed his sin to his mistress and later had to buy her silence. His deceptions remained hidden for years until a bo ...more
Published August 2nd 2002 by Barclay Books (FL) (first published February 27th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Accidents Waiting to Happen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Accidents Waiting to Happen

Kelly
May 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, I must say that this is the first e-book I have read in recent history that was edited well. Probably because it was also published on paper. I found it refreshing that my internal editor was not triggered, and as a result, I enjoyed the story much more.

I met Simon Wood in person a few years ago at Foothill College at a Halloween themed author panel that was part of their Author Series. After finally getting around to reading one of his books, I can tell I am going to be a fan!

As for the
Elaine
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Hold on to your seats, folks. Lots of fast-paced action.

Blackmail entails threats and Josh is being blackmailed by someone whom he thought was gone from his life.

Murder attempts. Sabotage. Terrorizing.

The "Professional" gets paid to kill and he's professional because he plans out his kills by studying his intended victims.

Tyrell, the vice president of an insurance company is starting to panic, believing he is going to be replaced by someone who can make better profits for the company.

Margare
Patricia
Jul 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accidents Waiting to Happen – 5 Paws
Simon Wood
Dorchester Publishing, 2007, 352 pps.
ISBN No. 0-8439-5830-8

One accident after the other seems to be a new way of life for Josh Michaels. Josh is happily married to Kate. They have one little girl named Abby and one dog named Weiner. Josh was happy with his job and his life until the accidents began. The first seemed to be a simple matter of road rage and no one would believe otherwise except for Josh. Besides all the accidents a blackmailer returns t
Tracy Walters
This was an exciting and tense read right from the first few pages.....Josh Michaels is in a bit of a mess because someone is trying to kill him and he doesn't know why plus the fact that the police won't believe him.....it gets worse with a couple of prior bad situations coming to light and Josh is trying to keep his life together without letting anyone find out about his past mistakes. Add in his cute little family.......a big ole guy for a best friend........a couple of hitmen and an ex-lover ...more
Cathy Ryan
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
With an absolutely compelling first chapter, the action and suspense keep on coming. The twists, especially the double one at the culmination of the story, and turns are unforseeable and kept me on the edge of my seat with no idea what was going to happen next. Great pace which picks up considerably as the story progresses. All in all a really good read.
Marybeth Kobland
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, it starts right out with action, Josh Michaels is run off the road in what seems like an accident, but it isn't as it seems. Accidents start happening that end up leading back to him. Although it seems a little unrealistic the story is non stop action, I read it in one day on my Kindle. I will definitely read more stories form this author.
Marlene Roseboro
Accidents Waiting to Happen

I enjoyed the suspense all through the book. I tried to figure out the motive for the accidents before getting really into the book... Was happy to find out Josh wasn't killed off and was able to get back to his family and start over.
Bernie
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Accidents Waiting to Happen review

Accidents Waiting to Happen is an exciting thriller written by author Simon Wood. The main character is mostly unsympathetic but the story is compelling.
Rebecca Hollingsworth
Another excellent book

Wow!! I can't even begin to describe the craziness of this book! I love how this author can throw even the oddest things at you but make it believable to a point your waiting to see what else is in store!
Lisa
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone!
This was my first crack at Simon Wood, and I really enjoyed the book. It's been a bit since I read it, but I would recommend it to anyone that loves a good energetic mystery. He's getting better with each book!
Robi
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

This was a well written book. Although you knew the killer it still kept interest. Easy to read and interesting.
Gloria
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved every single detail of this book!
Helen
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-stars
Really enjoyed this book, was hooked from the first page and loved how the events
Lisa Bateman
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, Simon Wood did it again! This book had me flying by the seat of my pants. It's like seeing some really horrific picture or terrifying movie scene where you want to make it stop but at the same time you can't seem to look away because it's so morbidly fascinating in some strange way. I always ask myself why I keep reading/listening but I can't help it. His work leaves me traumatized, but in a good way lol. By the end of this one, I think I was suffering from Stockholm syndrome because I was ...more
Aimee
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Simon Wood

Accidents Waiting To Happen almost gave me an ulcer. Josh's anxiety, stress, and panic seems to absorb through your fingers from the pages, or Kindle. You feel the helplessness of it all. And there's the classic Simon Wood curveballs that make you stop and question the book, all the way back to page one. Some characters you love, like Wiener, some you hate, like Bell, and some you just don't know if you like or not.

Accidents Waiting To Happen is an original and intriguing story
Kathleen Hagen
Accidents Waiting to Happen, by Simon Wood, b-plus, Narrated by James Langton, Produced by Brilliance Audio, Downloaded from audible.com.

Josh Michaels, a building construction engineer, is driving home from a business trip. As he approaches a bridge to cross a river, a SUV barrels up behind him. He slows down so the driver can pass, which he does, but then he turns around and deliberately gets into Josh’s path and ends up pushing him off the road and into the river. Josh manages to get out of th
Carol
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the German edition called "Abgezockt":

Als Josh Michaels mit seinem Auto von der Straße abgedrängt wird, hält er es zunächst für einen Unfall.

Aber die Anschläge auf sein Leben gehen weiter. Offenbar versucht ein Unbekannter, ihn umzubringen. Immer soll es aussehen wie ein böser Zufall. Könnte das vielleicht an Joshs Job bei einer Versicherung liegen?

Nicht nur ein angeblicher Autounfall, bei dem er nur knapp mit dem Leben entkommt, erschüttert Joshs heile Familienwelt, sondern auch der Anru
Nancy Silk
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"When An Accident Is Not A Mishap"

Josh Michael is traveling to Sacramento from Bakersfield, traveling on the slower back roads rather than the I-5 freeway. Without warning, while approaching a bridge over the Sacramento River, a black SUV approached quickly in his rear view mirror. Though Josh is going 70 m.p.h., The SUV was going faster. Josh slows a bit to allow the SUV to pass him. When they were side by side, the SUV swerves in front of Josh's front end causing Josh to over-react and lose co
Brian Parton
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good read keeps you on edge the whole book

Great book keeps you reading just to see what's next. Looking forward to reading more from this author in the future.
Gloria Feit
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Josh Michaels, a young man with a wife and little girl he adored, while driving back to his home in Sacramento, California, is forced off the highway and into the river in what appears to be an accident born from what he thinks of as reckless stupidity on the part of the other driver. But the actions of that driver, before he gets back into his car and speeds away, convince Josh that it is anything but. Josh survives the ‘accident,’ but starts to doubt his ability to continue to survive the ensu ...more
Amy Marbach
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this is Wood's first book- I have just read it after reading several of his subsequent books. And while I can tell it's a debut- this book has many of the elements that I love about his books, namely the fact that the plot line always keeps me guessing. Accidents Waiting To Happen did not disappoint there- as I felt like I was in one of those car commercials with the sharp, ever so windy road. This book took me for quite the ride and I love it for that reason.

The first chapter of this book
Michael Timlin
Dec 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Simon Wood, has done an fabulous job in writing Accidents Waiting to Happen. This was a very good read with a great story line.

Josh Michaels has a pretty good life. He has a beautiful wife and loving daughter. A good job and great friends. So why is it that someone wants him dead. On his way home from work a driver forces him off the road and into a river, where he is left to die. The man who forces him off the road looks on in mild amusement as Josh, is stuck in his sinking car. Looking to the
Andrea Hollenbeck
Accidents waiting to happen is pure suspense throughout the length of the book. I read it in one night, because I couldn't believe what could or would happen next. Would an insurance company really send out hit men to make their money on viatical insurance claims? In the 80s, insurance companies thought they were doing a big favor to people that were terminal or had AIDS. Breakthroughs in AIDS care has now given AIDS patients 10 or more years, which isn't helping the insurance companies. They of ...more
Books n All  Jill Burkinshaw
If any Thriller readers have not yet found Simon Wood you don't know what you are missing. I have read several of his books and they all have one thing in common: they are totally gripping, full of suspense in the true sense of the word and very realistic.

Josh is a typical 'man' his life is a car crash, full of mistakes and as he fixes one mistake he creates more. Simon has created a realistic character that you have to love.

The story is very believable based on greed and total lack of compassio
Heidi
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was up into the wee hours of the morning because I wanted to finish this book. A hitman is after Josh and has failed twice. The police do not even believe Josh. Throw in a scorned ex-mistress, and Josh trying to cover up other past sins, you are in for the ride of a life time.
I have read another one of Simon Woods books and he has been added to my list of favorite suspense/thriller authors. The ending was a shocker! I will not reveal anymore due to possible spoilers. It is a must read.
Alt
Cindy-lee
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read! I finished Accidents Waiting to Happen in the wee hours of this morning, because I had to see how it was possible for all the ends to tie together. The main character epitomizes how one error in judgement, can snowball into an avalanche of pain, hurt and destruction! Be careful what you do today, because tomorrow you may be faced with consequences, only a writer like Simon Wood can so brilliantly create! Just when you think it can't get worse....ohhhh it does!! If you haven't acqua ...more
Kathy LeJeune
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read by Simon Wood. He promises action packed thrillers and he always delivers.

The Errors of Our Ways!
What happens when our wrongness is exposed? Josh Michaels is about to find out! Josh makes one mistake trying to make things better for his family. He has no idea what lies ahead.
This is a debut novel for Simon Wood and it is an impressive one. Twist and turns on every page, you will not be able to put this one down until the last page. Simon does a hell of a job interlocking stories
Tasha
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is the bomb. The main character had his flaws supposedly under wrap but come to find .out he only made a mess of his life. It amazes me how real this characters life resembles what happens when people decide to cheat on their spouses. That's not his only issue he has a hit out on his life. Lol...just when you think his shit can't get worse, it does. You will just have to read it to find out what happens when life throws you a loop. Loved it!!!
Sharron
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Josh has an auto accident he begins investigating why he was forced off the road and discovers that someone is out to end his life. The story was so moving and so intense that I found myself not only glued to the page, but I found myself getting very up-tight and almost paranoid. Simon Wood is a very intense writer.
amil
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when you thought it couldn't get more intense you get to the next pg

this books puts a deathly realistic twist to insurance . all the characters are more intense as the book comes along. As you read you feel the fear ,hurt,anger that all characters (as cruel as they were) felt. Truly enjoyed this book!
  • Operation Hero
  • All for One
  • Any Other Night
  • Children of Paranoia (Children of Paranoia, #1)
  • Night Game
  • Mortal Pursuit
  • Shiver
  • Midnight Sun
  • Pinpoint
  • Perfect Little Town
  • Don't Close Your Eyes (Stephanie Chalice Mystery #1)
  • Language Lessons
  • Seven Minutes to Noon
  • Borrowed Time
  • A Killing Tide (Columbia River, #1)
  • The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)
  • Leverage
  • Know Not Why
Simon Wood is a California transplant from England. He's an ex-competitive racecar driver, a licensed pilot and an occasional private investigator. He shares his world with his American wife, Julie. Their lives are dominated by a longhaired dachshund and five cats. In the last ten years, he's had over 150 stories and articles published. His stories have been included in “Best of” anthologies and h ...more
More about Simon Wood

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • What the Dead Know
    $8.74 $2.99
  • Ragdoll (Detective William Fawkes #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
“He reached across the couch for the remote and switched channels. He couldn’t bear to watch yet another show about the appalling truth he’d uncovered. The subject had been done to death by the television networks, but they wouldn’t let it go. He couldn’t go anywhere without seeing the words viatical and shocking used in the same sentence. It would be on cereal boxes next. He stopped channel-hopping when he came to the cartoons. He couldn’t see Tom and Jerry selling a viatical settlement to Butch.” 0 likes
“Come on, Abby,” said Kate. “You’re going to sit with Uncle Bobby while Daddy and I talk to the policemen.” Abby slid off the hospital bed and took her mother’s hand. “Is Bob here?” Josh asked. Bob Deuce had been Josh’s friend since they were twelve.” 0 likes