Jump to ratings and reviews

The Narrow Path #1

The Narrow Path

Miranda feels like she's been transported back to Little House On The Prairie, and Ted's head spins when Miranda reads the Bible on her cell phone. Yet Miranda Klassen and Ted Wiebe must find a way to make peace to meet their common goal to open the doors of Ted's Old Order Mennonite church and community. Will they also find love in the process?

275 pages

First published December 1, 2009

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Gail Sattler

65 books34 followers
Gail Sattler is the author of numerous novels, novellas, gift books, cookbooks and devotions. She is a longstanding member of East Ridge Community Fellowship, a Mennonite Brethren church. She lives and writes in Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

Gail is a wife, mother, writer, and musician, and the order of those things will depend on what day it is. She leads a busy life, with music affiliations in a jazz band and string orchestra, as well as writing, which is her passion. She wrote her first book back in middle school on a clackety old manual typewriter. Her writing has changed a lot since then. Now Gail writes romantic comedy, and most of the books she's written in the last few years are part of a series. Gail loves to continue a story, to make a new book with the story of a minor character from a previous story.

When Gail isn't writing, she loves to take pictures. Her primary targets, err, volunteers, are usually her family, pets, friends, and bandmates.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 81 reviews
Profile Image for Carly.
275 reviews71 followers
April 25, 2010
Miranda and Ted could not be more different. They are both Mennonites, but Miranda is from a Mennonite church in Seattle that is modern and Ted belongs to an Old Order Mennonite church in Minnesota. When Miranda is hired to lead the Christmas program for Ted’s church, their differences are obvious. Miranda wears jeans, red t-shirts, red lipstick and reads the Bible on her cell phone. Ted believes in following the traditions of his Mennonite heritage. Despite their differences they are able to work together and put on a great show, and maybe even find love.

The first thing that struck me about this book was the instant chemistry between Ted and Miranda. It was so obvious it practically jumped off the pages. I thought Ted was adorable, even if he was a bit stuffy and rigid. He had a lot to learn about real faith from Miranda and she brought a lot of excitement and new forms of worship to this church that needed a pick-me-up. The people of this Mennonite community were very warm and welcoming and I liked how they accepted Miranda for who she was.

This is a cute story with a good romantic twist and a solid Christian message, but it was a little on the slow side at times. It is definitely a relaxing read, but I found the pages not turning very fast and my mind wandered sometimes. A story does not always have to move fast to be good, so if you are looking for a little romance, humor, and faith, then you will likely enjoy this story.
Profile Image for SheLove2Read.
2,780 reviews175 followers
February 5, 2012
Contemporary Mennonite choir director and Old Order Mennonite Music director have a shared goal of making the Church's Christmas play both a success and an opportunity to show outsiders the glory of Christ. Their differing backgrounds make this a challenge at first but in working together they both find that their preconceived ideas about the other are wrong. This was a very entertaining read!
Profile Image for Sarah.
86 reviews5 followers
March 27, 2018
The Narrow Path is a Christian Romance novel in a Mennonite setting. The Christian Romance genre comprised most of the first ‘grown up’ books my parents allowed me to read as a teenager. As a result I don’t enjoy the genre very much anymore, but I do turn to it when I want something that is quick and easy to read, and doesn’t require a lot of concentration.

The story followed the typical outline I’ve come to expect from this genre.

As a Mennonite church in Piney Meadows, Minnesota prepares to celebrate their 75th anniversary, they desire to “reach out in ministry to everyone within driving distance” with a special Christmas celebration. Having never done anything like this before the church searches for someone to help them. They hire Miranda, the daughter of a Mennonite pastor in Seattle, Washington, who has composed and directed several Christmas dramas for her father’s church.

Being from the same denomination, everyone assumes things will go well. However, Miranda is from a modern Mennonite church, and Piney Meadows is a traditional Mennonite farm community. Ted meets Miranda at the airport and is shocked that Miranda’s external appearance anything but Mennonite. She is quite modern, wearing jeans, high heels, no head covering, bright red lipstick, and earrings. Her bright red cell phone, iPod, and purse match her red lipstick. Ted is certain that Miranda will be sent home, but the community embraces Miranda and allows plans for the special service to proceed.

As the church’s music leader, Ted has no choice but to work with Miranda on the service plans. As they story progresses, Ted and Miranda clash over many of the musical decisions. However, as they strive to compromise, they begin to understand each other better. Can they overcome the differences between the traditional and modern mindsets?

The author’s bio states that she is part of a Mennonite community. While I am by no means an expert on Mennonite culture, some of the ways she portrayed the traditional community didn’t ring true. For example, wanting to reach out to their community. This was puzzling to me, since the community worked so hard to keep themselves separated from the ways of the world. Another thing that seemed odd was the museum - preserving the history of the community didn’t make a lot of sense, especially since most of the people were uncomfortable with Miranda taking a lot of photos. Miranda also quickly influenced the young girls of the community to become more modern, causing some grumbling amongst the older members of the community. In my opinion this happened much too quickly.

I appreciated that the book spent a decent amount of time exploring the personal spiritual lives of the main characters, and not merely focusing on their relationships with each other. The dialogue and writing were good, and it had the happy ending I was expecting. Some of the dialogue was hard to follow, but I think it was because of the Kindle formatting. Although I enjoyed reading the book, it was a bit too stereotypical of Christian Romances (despite the unique Mennonite setting) for me to read more books by this author.
Profile Image for Erin.
260 reviews8 followers
May 26, 2021
the only thing entertaining about this book was how ridiculous the entire premise was. But at the end of the day, 250 pages of 2 people bickering while planning a church service is...... boring.
Profile Image for Goddess Of Blah.
514 reviews70 followers
August 12, 2013
This was an absolute joy to read.

Story:
The plot was interesting - i really enjoy reading about a person's endeavour to build something. In this instance the protagonist is building a play as well as trying to "fit in" within a small and close knit community. The struggles she faced, the prejudice, the new customs she learnt as well as the skills she offered or taught were written with a sensitive eloquence not common in todays chick lit.

The reader was not bogged down with too much detail. The story flowed, well paced and didn't drag or rush.

===============================

The characters:
Loved the characters. Interesting, well fleshed out - not one dimensional. No cliches.

Miranda -is a 24 year old, musically talented (plays piano, etc) degree educated accountant. She has dark auburn-ish hair, tall (at five foot 7) and very slim. She's a sympathetic, creative, bubbly but mature and not flighty. She likes bright colours, particularly red which contrasts wildly against the dull drab clothing of the traditional community. She wasn't an emotional basket case or a damaged heroine. She was an average girl who was Christian and belonged to a Mennonite church in the city, and thus lived a different life the Mennonite community in the countryside.

Ted is a serious, traditional Mennonite countryside man in his mid-twenties and one of the few single married men within his community. He isn't the cliched tall dark handsome type. He's good-looking-ish with dark hair, and at 5 foot 10 is average height but he wears the traditional clothes so you can imagine that he's no traffic stopping stud. But as you get to know him - he's an interesting character with enough merits, flaws and quirks to keep the story engrossing.

The supporting characters are well fleshed out but do not distract from the main story.

=======================

The Romance:
The romance was 5* - really engrossing, well paced and enjoyable.

This is the old fashion romance of getting to know someone before sparks fly. So many "love" stories are passionate but not sincere. One isn't convinced the duo are in love. However, in this story the love story is wholesome and convincing. There's the requisite amount of chemistry, forbidden glances, and sneaky kisses without overwhelming the actual relationship development. So many romances build the relationship in the bedroom with very little interaction beyond that its tedious. This book is within the realms of Christianity hence the superficial factors are not so important. The nuances of the characters are really brought out on how they deal with each other. The love between them is manifested in their small and big actions. It's beautiful.

This is my favourite type of romance - the gradual growth of feelings.

========================

Christian/ Cultural/ Background:
I've visited an Amish village when I visited the States (Pennsylvania Dutch). I think that was the Dutch Amish faction and hence they were much stricter. They didn't drive cars - I saw only horse and buggy riding fellows. And all the women (young and old) wore head coverings, the men had beards and the children dressed in a similar fashion. They did eat stir fry and pizza though.

I enjoyed reading this as it wasn't so much about Religion - but had far more into it. Mainstream audiences will enjoy this as it allows you to explore a different world. I know very little about the Amish and Mennonites. Prior to this book I had no idea that those were two diff groups.

Hence I loved this glimpse into a culturally different world. And I loved this world- eating pure wholesome foods, living in an environmentally clean way and aspiring to be peaceful and kind. It was beautiful.

I loved reading how they still used the old languages (a "Low German" language. I enjoyed reading about their cuisines, costumes and family values.

The Mennonites are an international sect, with the biggest populations living within Ethiopia and India. Hence this book was educational in the sense that it taught me about a group that was so large but I didn't realise existed.

Profile Image for Susan Hollaway .
37 reviews14 followers
April 23, 2010
Although Ted was the most traveled and somewhat contemporary-minded in his Old Order Mennonite fellowship, he was shocked when he met the woman he was to pick up at the airport. She was more modest than many around her, but definitely not what he was expecting. He couldn’t even imagine what the rest of the congregation would think when they got a look at her.

But much to his surprise and dismay, most seemed to accept her. She tries hard to honor their ways, but still be herself and strive to accomplish her mission. Despite her mistakes and many blunders, she seems to fit in, which befuddles him – she reads her Bible on her cell phone in a community where no one even owns a dishwasher or microwave. But he couldn’t ignore his growing attraction for her when he begins to look at her heart. She finds him rigid, but kind, smart, and even very appealing in spite of his plain clothes and black hat – sometimes because of them. But can they ever agree on anything other than agreeing to disagree? Will they ever be able to succeed with her plan to help the church reach out more effectively? Too many of her ideas are not of their Mennonite ways.

Time passes quickly, even more quickly with an unexpected turn of events that forces them to work even more closely together. Just when Ted thought he knew Miranda, will she surprise him once again?

How can two believers – both Mennonite, but so different -- fit into each other’s lives? What do they do with their growing feelings? Can two people with such diverse traditions stay on the narrow path and commit to one another?

This was a delightful story that I enjoyed very much. Not only was an enchanting story presented, but intertwined are many lessons. How many times do we judge someone by outside appearances without looking at their heart? Do we assume we “know” them because of what they’re wearing or how they speak? This is a wonderful tale of how two people who came from seemingly different worlds find themselves truly more alike than they first realized. Will God’s plan be bigger than their traditions?

Congratulations, Gail, on sharing a story that not only entertains, but shows us that we should never be too quick to judge nor not make time to listen. And we should always look past the outside and at the heart. I’ll be looking forward to your next book.

Profile Image for Tiffany.
390 reviews3 followers
May 12, 2012
This rating system is annoying. I liked this book, but not as much as I like Death and Penguin. Yet they have the same rating. . .

A scale of 1 to 10 would be better.

Anyhow, this a Christian romance, published, by Bethany House (I could be wrong about the publisher). I got the book through one of Kindle's free offers. I downloaded it knowing that Bethany House has a pretty decent reputation with romances that are clean and without erotic elements that are so frequently found in mass-market romance books.

The story is about two Mennonites: Miranda, a member of a progressive Mennonite group in Seattle, and Ted, a member of a conservative mennonite group in Minnesota. I don't really know if the cultural things about Mennonites are correct, but the author is a member of a progressive Mennonite group, so that is something in her favor.

Anyhow, Miranda is hired to work in Minnesota for a year for a conservative Mennonite group to produce a Christmas pageant that will be presented to the community and surrounding areas as a way to minister and reach out to other groups. She isn't prepared for the way the conservative Mennonites live, nor for how her host, Ted, will react to her. Miranda works as an accountant, dresses modernly (though not provocatively), and has pretty progressive views. Ted is very conservative, but is deeply committed and concerned about his community and helping it flourish. As the two work together to produce this Christmas pageant over the course of the year, they develop a friendship in spite of their differences, while each has to adjust expectations and ideas about traditions.

I won't give away the ending, but I'm sure you can guess it anyway. I thought the plot development was pretty decent. Both characters experience growth and development, though none of it stunning or out of character. I thought the tension and conflict in the book felt natural, especially considering the cultural differences. Over all, I would recommend this book to most of my friends.
Profile Image for Michelle.
Author 37 books402 followers
July 5, 2010
The ending was what really made this story shine. It started out a bit slow and it wasn't until I was about halfway through the story that I started to really care one way or the other. I felt her frustrations at times and enjoyed the way Ted comforted her when she was hurting and how he tried to be a true friend. I enjoyed that the conflict was so black and white at times, but on occasion it also felt a bit like shoving a square peg into a round hole. Sometimes you could feel that it was a bit forced, like her reason for being at Piney Meadows in the first place.

At any rate, it was a sweet love story and I really enjoyed how everything came together at the end. The story was downright romantic. And those few kisses that were shared. Wow! They set the pages on fire because they were the result of restrained passion. That's my favorite kind...the type that builds and builds until it finally happens. :) And it's even better when it is surrounding an emotional situation, like when Miranda was so discouraged.

I loved how the author showed the strengths and weaknesses of both characters and how Ted didn't realize at first how much Miranda really did have strong faith in Christ. Why? Because he was determining her depth of faith based on her outward appearance. The scene where she tearfully responded as she sang the lyrics of the hymn was profound and emotionally moving. I loved how this situation started to really change Ted's perspective about real worship and how he realized everything he'd done recently had been more out of habit than from his heart. I loved how Miranda's faith stirred Ted's. She made him want to be a better man.
Profile Image for Laura.
Publisher: Abingdon Press
May 2010
ISBN: 978-1-426-70237-2
Genre: Inspirational/contemporary romance

Miranda Klassen is a talented worship leader and song writer and she has written and directed many cantatas. When she is hired by a Mennonite church in Minnesota, she isn’t expecting or prepared for the snow when she arrives. Seattle gets little to no snow, and she only has open toed heels and a thin jacket with her.

Ted Wiebe is the music director at his Mennonite church and he is Old Order. He is not expecting a thoroughly modern girl, in jeans, and a tight t-shirt to be the Mennonite music director his church hired. Miranda seems to have every electronic gadget available. He doesn’t expect her to last a day in his community, let alone a whole year.

To Ted’s surprise, Miranda is welcomed, and she embraces the community with open arms even though she causes raised eyebrows. But while Ted grows to care for her, how can it possibly work when he is Old Order Mennonite and she is a thoroughly modern girl?

THE NARROW PATH is the first Abingdon Press novel Ms. Sattler has published, and it is good. Ted is a rather dull, drab hero, made even more so by the colorful heroine. Ted is steady, stable, and a smart business man, while Miranda is more flamboyant, stands-out in the crowd, and is not happy unless she’s going a thousand miles an hour.

The romance was kind of flat, without sizzle, and Ted’s dialog was very stilted, though I think Ms. Sattler did that on purpose. Still, it was fun seeing two people from very different worlds as they struggled to understand the other. $13.99. 275 pages.
Profile Image for Jay Howard.
Author 14 books56 followers
August 1, 2012
A very satisfying tale that raises the questions we all need to address. What is really important in life? Should a simple lifestyle be enough for everyone, whatever their educational level, whatever their interests and abilities? How far should we restrict our own goals in favour of the needs of the people we love? Should religious edicts be permitted to define our lives beyond what is reasonable in the modern world just for the sake of tradition, or should the religion adapt to suit? And if so, how far?

All of this is present in Gail Sattler’s story, but never oppressively so. These questions are the natural subtext of the story being told and the answers the MCs find inform their actions. We are not preached at, just encouraged to think, and our reward is a charming story with a happy ending (and I do so love a happy ending).

The only reason I’ve marked it down to 4* is the irritation of so many sentences not being followed by a space. Harsh? Maybe, but I read to relax and poor punctuation reduces my enjoyment. Also, the Amazon price is way too high when compared with similar quality works out there. I got it as a freebie needing review. I was quite shocked when I went onto Amazon to leave a review.
Profile Image for Casey.
416 reviews105 followers
April 13, 2010
Though the cover may allude to being of the Amish genre, THE NARROW PATH was no such novel. An original story about the Mennonite community and a young woman who enters from the “outside.”
Miranda has been hired by a Mennonite community to create a Christmas play, but can she adapt to this new culture for a year and can she really fall in love with a young man, rooted in his ways?
I enjoyed this book. It was fresh and original from what I normally read in the Amish genre. There was humor and a love story that was completely unpredictable- at least for me. When it got down to the wire between Miranda and Ted, I wasn’t sure what way it was going to go. And the ending wasn’t rushed.
My favorite part of the book was when Ted and Miranda would meet for meals. There was humor there that made me chuckle and smile.
It is not your typical run of the mill story. I wasn’t sure if a story about planning a Christmas play could hold my attention, but it did and I enjoyed the chance to read this novel. It’s a fast read, but also one with uniqueness that captivated me.
I received my copy from the author to influence. I received no compensation for this review.
Profile Image for Lauralee Bliss.
Author 47 books118 followers
February 8, 2012
This is an interesting look at two worlds that seem to collide but the characters are really both a part of the same world - their Mennonite faith. It's just that one is more old order and one is more modern. The concept is interesting. I like the way the characters are portrayed, each coping with the other's strange ideas, especially as they try to coalesce around making a memorable Christmas musical. Unfortunately this is also where the story tends to drag. I know nothing of music, but at times the long paragraphs detailing playing the piano or other aspects of how to run a Christmas musical (and I had no idea musicals take nearly a year to do!) tends to slow the story's pace. I would rather have spent more time with the characters doing more ordinary things and spending time with each other. But the author paints a nice portrait of two different worlds that eventually mesh together for the common good of everyone.
Profile Image for Kristy Mills.
1,699 reviews38 followers
June 11, 2010
Eh, this book seemed to be lacking something. I can't really put my finger on it. But it was kind of disappointing. One thing is I definitely prefer Amish books to the Mennonite books for some reason.

I kind of thought Ted was boring and he was so harsh and he disliked Miranda so much in the beginning that I had a hard time believing he had feelings for her by the end. His lack of humor got so tiring and his over the top proper grammar really annoyed me. I got so tired of reading, "I do not think so," rather than "I don't think so." That started driving me nuts.

The book progressed really slow and the parts that were supposed to be foundation building for their relationship just didn't seem to do it for me. The thing I liked most about this book, is that the models on the cover are people who work at the publishing company.
98 reviews1 follower
May 15, 2012
Miranda Klassen is a Mennonite from Seattle who travels to a small Minnesota town to work with a Mennonite congregation to create and produce a play that will celebrate both Christmas and the congregation's anniversary. She will be living in Piney Meadows, MN for almost a full year in order to do so.

Ted Wiebe has driven the three hours in winter weather to pick up Miranda from the Minneapolis airport. He is expecting a woman who dresses and acts like the women in his congregation back in Piney Meadows. Miranda is not that woman. She is wearing jeans and obviously prefers the color red. And she is not dressed for Minnesota in the winter.

So begins a clash of cultures and . . .
Profile Image for Loraine.
2,881 reviews
April 9, 2012
Old order Mennonite Ted and new order Mennonite Miranda are as opposite as night and day. When they have to work together on a year long evangelism Christmas cantata sparks begin to fly. Some pull them together and others send them to prayer. Hopefully they will both learn from each other and grow in their faith and perhaps a relationship as well.

I loved the contrasting characters and how they each gained a better perspective of what was important in life from one another.
Profile Image for Tiff.
134 reviews36 followers
January 26, 2012
Blah storyline. Unlikable characters, horrible dialogue. This was a free kindle download but the editing was so awful I could barely get through it. I love both Amish and Mennonite stories but this just wasn't engaging. The one positive thing I can say is that the religion wasn't overplayed. It was the focus of the book without it becoming preachy.
Profile Image for Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews.
2,290 reviews113 followers
April 13, 2010
It's Little House on the Prairie meets Sex and the City....well sort of.

This is a fun romance set in the Mennonite faith. It is interesting to see how two people of the same religion view the world differently.

This is a really good book and I was sad to see it end.
86 reviews
January 1, 2012
This was a fun, easy, breezy read with a satisfying conclusion. It's a good book to read when you are in the mood for a happy ending without any serious complications.
Profile Image for Ellen.
878 reviews
August 14, 2017
The Narrow Path was a solid 3 star for a sweet, if predictable, romance. Right from the start, it appeared to be a rather typical Amish fiction and I was prepared for all the stereotypes: worldly Englisher is dissatisfied with modern life and falls for an Amish person who has to worry about being shunned, etc. etc. This is not that book.

First off, I was struck by some very familiar locales. The Narrow Path is not set in Pennsylvania, but rather in northern Minnesota, or "Up North" as we refer to it here. Reading place names and being able to actually picture them on my mental map was a hoot! As it turns out, there is a decent sized Mennonite community in Minnesota, as the book encouraged me to do a little research. I learned that I had several misconceptions about Mennonite beliefs that needed some adjustment. Although I do not agree with the anabaptist doctrines to which they subscribe, I was able to see how they fit into the Christian "family tree" for lack of a better phrase.

A few times, while reading the book, I felt myself getting offended right along with Ted that this woman was coming in with all of her modern views from her contemporary church and she was making all these wholesale changes just to get people in the seats. Later I realized that the congregation INVITED her to do so. She was simply doing as they asked. That helped me relax a bit and enjoy the story more.

Another significant difference is that Miranda is also Mennonite. I did not realize going in to this book that, like many denominations, they also have congregations that vary in their strict application of traditions and such. Randi represented a Mennonite who freely used technology and didn't hold to strict dress codes. Some of the same conflict was there that pops up in every Amish fiction story, but it felt different since it was someone from within the faith rather than outside of it.

Randi is in Minnesota to organize and carry out a special Christmas program and is there nearly a year getting things ready to carry out. Sometimes, those parts describing the planning felt like they went on for MONTHS too. I got a little bored in those drawn out sections. I also don't feel those quasi-scriptural references weren't as edifying as the author perhaps hoped or intended. Skimming quickly over those parts is part of the reason I finished the book so quickly and not necessarily a good sign.

Overall, the book was just ok. Amish stories aren't my favorite, so I didn't have high expectations for this book in the first place. I'm not sure I'll read it again and it didn't cause me to search Sattler's author page for new read ideas, but I wouldn't say no to another good deal on a book from her in the future.
Profile Image for Patricia.
2,908 reviews13 followers
August 3, 2017
Normally, I dislike Quaker, Amish, or Mennonite stories labeled as Christian fiction because invariably those religions are treated without respect. Normally, their beliefs are talked down and the person targeted in the story for some kind of conversion invariably has to denounce his/her Amish, Quaker, or Mennonite beliefs. This book was delightfully different. It was "real." It was respectful. What a breath of fresh air! I loved Miranda and Ted. What great characters. My only regret is that this story does not continue on with "the rest of their story." 😊
Profile Image for Susann Williams.
127 reviews5 followers
September 10, 2021
I liked this book a lot more than I expected to. I kept looking at the cover and was turned off by it because I thought it wouldn’t have any substance. I have no problem saying when I’m wrong. This story was well-developed, it had strong characters, and I just found myself liking it a lot. This was a good one!
Profile Image for Vikki Vaught.
Author 11 books158 followers
December 7, 2020
This book just didn’t resonate with me. The never became enmeshed with either MC. The hero was too sanctimonious and the heroine was too far away from the typical Mennonite woman for it to be believable. The narrator is not a favorite of mine either. Happy reading and listening!
Profile Image for Crissy Crim.
104 reviews4 followers
June 22, 2013
I really wanted to love this novel; especially it was in the Amish genre without being actually Amish. Randi with an "i" is from Seattle from a Modern Mennonite Church. Ted is from an Old Order Mennonite Community. From there the story line gets predictable. One could easily read the first three chapters and skip to the last one and knows what went on and did not miss much; except food dishes name and how many times Randi and Ted disagree. So here is the break down, and yes this is the whole conversation most part throughout the book and it's references to scenarios.
1. Randi loves Red. Red Cell Phone, Red Boots, Red Tennis Shoes, Red Lipstick, Red Purse, and when she compromises and wears a skirt that is not thigh high- it has to have big Red Buttons.
2. It rains a lot in Seattle, so she is surprise at all the snow in Minneapolis (or somewhere around there).
3. Ted and Randi disagree. Yet Ted Compromises and sees good value in women to start wearing pants to keep warm in winter in his community and wives and husbands (with their families) should sit together in church during worship.
4. Randi has to keep explaining internet and web-camming to everyone and her new modern lingo she brought into the community is welcomed and appreciated.
5. Randi and Ted fall in love.
6. Food is everywhere in the book. Thus Randi decides to learn how to cook and bake; especially cinnamon rolls - hence that is Ted's favorites.
7. The Christmas Pageant is a Success! Despite, Theresa, the Virgin Mary for the play, runs off with a single man in the community because Theresa is pregnant and they are not married. (This was the juicy part of the book and I thought alas we are digging into deep stuff). Then Randi has a confession to Ted, (here I thought more juicy stuff). She was gossiped as being pregnant (let down, Randi may be immodest sporting gal with technology and savvy of the world, but her purity and virtue is still hard-core Mennonite and no sinning on her part). But it was her period was out of whack. She never could be pregnant. After that is back to the same ole rote in my points 1-6.

Each to their own, but if this was not a Free Kindle Book..I would ask for my money back!
Profile Image for Delia.
Author 54 books88 followers
May 24, 2010
All she did was accept an invitation. Miranda Klassen, dedicated daughter of a Seattle Mennonite minister, is a talented musician. A noted songwriter. She’s excited to have been offered the challenge of helping an Old Order Mennonite church prepare and publicize a Christmas musical that will draw new people and new life to its staid congregation.

A completely modern Mennonite, Miranda loves red, her computer, and her cell phone. What awaits her in Minnesota is like something out of Little House on the Prairie. The women cook and sew and dress like they stepped out of the last century. The men open doors for the ladies, wear old-fashioned but strangely appealing hats, and sit on the opposite side of the church from their wives. What on earth has she gotten herself into?

Ted Wiebe wonders the same thing. No matter how talented Miranda Klassen might be, it was a mistake to bring this modern woman to his community—and especially to his church. She wears pants. Her lips are red, along with her boots and much of her clothing—which does not include a proper prayer kapp. She’s attached to her laptop by some kind of invisible cord…and she reads her Bible on a red cell phone!

Two people from different worlds, with opposing points of view on just about everything. They have committed to getting through an important project. But after meeting one another, neither of them is thrilled about the prospect, especially since they’ll be forced to spend a lot of time together.

But God works in mysterious ways….

Gail Sattler brings a warm and endearing look at a closely knit, wonderfully loving Mennonite community. She explores the difficulty many of us have in accepting that our way may not be the only right way. Miranda’s impact on Ted’s life and the lives of his Mennonite “family”—and their influence on her—touches, amuses, and entertains. The Narrow Path is a well-written, informative, revealing look at a way of life most of us can only imagine, and an enjoyable exploration of what happens when two worlds collide. Enjoyable reading.
Profile Image for Jillian Pearl.
32 reviews2 followers
February 21, 2017
Enjoyable

I would have given it three stars, but there were formatting issues that took me half the book to learn to ignore.

Because it's a romance novel you expect the main characters to end up together. I wondered how the author would pull it off so that it was believable. She did.
Profile Image for Kame.
795 reviews36 followers
February 15, 2012
Miranda (Randi) a Mennonite is a composer of spiritual music and plays. She has been hired to create a performance to celebrate Ted's church's 75th anniversary and Christmas. She arrives in January during a snow storm from Seattle. Ted who is the worship music leader of his Mennonite community picks her up at the airport. She has one year to create a performance that will inspire people to join their church.

When Miranda comes off the plane it is evident that both Miranda and Ted both assumed that the other followed their faith in the same manner. Miranda's church is a more progressive Mennonite church - who have televisions, use microwaves and the congregation is not separated into men and women during events and services. Ted's church is more traditional - he wears traditional attire, complete with the hat and suspenders, they do not have television and just added piano and guitar to their spiritual music a few years earlier. Neither are sure this year long arrangement will work.

And at the beginning it does not - they but heads on how the program should be created. But somehow a friendship is fostered and their common goal of glorifying the Lord during this Christmas program and bringing more people to the faith unites them.

I had some issues with this book - primarily that it is unbelievable in this day and age that both sides of this business arrangement would make assumptions to the level that had to be made to have such a huge divide in their perceptions of the other. My other issue is that I think there could have been some more character development - even subtract some of the many characters to help me learn more about Ted and Miranda.

I just saw online that there is a Book 2 that follows the path of Ted's secretary - it is not an immediate must read but I will be on the lookout for it as I would like to know if the community expanded after the program.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 81 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.