Start by marking “The Star Conquerors (The Others, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Star Conquerors (The Others, #1)

The Star Conquerors (The Others #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  99 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Six time Hugo winner Ben Bova's most sought-after and possibly best novel, THE STAR CONQUERORS, has been long out of print. There was only one small hardback print run of his first novel, never reprinted, and used copies are rare, costing upwards of $500. Until now! ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the ebook publication of THE STAR CONQUERORS!

To Explore New Worlds...
Published 1959 by John C. Winston Co.

To ask other readers questions about The Star Conquerors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Star Conquerors

DoctorM
Dec 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
A YA sci-fi novel that's now a half-century old. Is it a masterpiece of its kind? Well, not really. But it is a book I read long ago--- when I was maybe...ten or eleven. And I did love it. It was well-written enough, and certainly a book that I found excellent all those many years ago. As space opera, it still works--- no masterpiece, but a solid tale of space war and adventure, with decent characters. It gets 4 stars based on memories from long ago---- one of the books that made me interested i ...more
Kenny Park
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've always wanted to read The Star Conquerors and couldn't because it was so expensive to get a copy, but it was just released in an ebook edition from ReAnimus Press ( http://ReAnimus.com/store ). I really enjoyed reading it. It was a good story, and seemed very much like a blueprint for Star Trek that perhaps Roddenberry liked a lot.

It has an introduction from Bova on the history of the book which was interesting, as well as both new cover art and the original Mel Hunter cover art.
Duncan Rice
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun read. You can tell it's an early book. The writing is not very mature. It has many logical flaws and inconsistencies. Enjoy it for what it is.
Paul
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
This science fiction novel is about an interstellar war between the Terran Confederation and the much larger star empire of the Masters.

Things are not going well for the Terrans. The Saurians (who do the actual fighting under the control of the masters) outnumber the Terran forces by several times. The Terran fleet is in bad shape. Geoffrey Knowland, whose father, Heath, runs the whole Earth defense effort, is authorized to take what's left of the fleet and go on the offensive. They begin to hav
Clark Hallman
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The Star Conquerors by Ben Bova was first published in 1959 in a small hardback print run and was never reprinted. Therefore, getting a copy of it has been extremely expensive and impossible for most readers. Thankfully, this wonderful space opera book has been made available as an eBook by ReAnimus Press. Now we can all join a galaxy where various human species are spread across the galaxy trying to cope with ruthless and technologically advanced nonhuman species, led by the Masters, who have a ...more
Lynnelle D. Bolton
The Star Conquerors

This supposed to be Bova's first novel? It felt every bit as good as all the others I've read. He's written so many I feel it will be a long time before I move to another author. I enjoy his way of writing and his subjects. He's excellent at suspension of disbelief. I get lost in his books. He's a detail person, as am I. I love it. Thank you Ben Bova!
Everett Jr.
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorites! I read it when I was a teenager and it was one of the sci fi books that hooked me on space. I have spent 40 + years working in manned and unmanned space for the Air Force and NASA!
Allan Caplan
Nov 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kobo, sci-fi
I wish I could give another half star to this book.

Reading it, I felt that old friend Ben Bova in my hands. But it's not the Bova I've been reading the last few years. This is young Mr. Bova.

I'd recomend it to any Bova fan.
John (JP)
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
1st of Ben Bova's novels. Fun read.
Alex Robertson
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book to read

this is one of the first sci-fi books I ever read (about 8 years old). now at the age of 64 I find that I still enjoy this fine novel.

Frank
Interesting sci-fi from Bova. Part of the Winston juvenile science fiction series.
Bryan
Sep 23, 2014
Pam Stack
May 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova

The Others (3 books)
  • Star Watchman
  • The Dueling Machine
“We try to teach our students how to think... how to use their brains and imagination. Individual subjects can always be learned by a man who knows how to learn. We teach them to think, and the other subjects arise by themselves...” 3 likes