Start by marking “A Roald Dahl Selection” as Want to Read:
A Roald Dahl Selection

A Roald Dahl Selection

Includes:
Man from the South, Lamb to the Slaughter, The Landlady, The champion of the World, Galloping Foxley, Mrs Bixby and the Colonel's Coat, The Ratcatcher and The Hitchhiker.
Published August 1st 2000 by Longman Schools Division (a Pearson Education Company) (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about A Roald Dahl Selection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Roald Dahl Selection

Start your review of A Roald Dahl Selection
Luke Kondor
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A pretty great collection. Favourites -- Man from the South, Galloping Foxley, Mrs Bixby and the Colonel's Coat, and Skin.
Koh Jie Lyn
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book contains many short stories by Roald Dahl.The stories are interesting and have very catchy openings.Most of the stories require the reader to guess the endings in a way as Roald Dahl did not state what happens in the end.
Good points:D
-Fun to read
-interesting storylines
-Good words and phrases
-includes tips on storywriting
Bad points:(
-Mistakes here and there(thus makes it hard for the reader to understand what is actually going on)
-Some parts are a little hard to understand

I think this
Tanner Tam
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book contains a number of short stories written by Roald Dahl, he is one of the best storyteller.
His use of tensions and twists have made the plots of many stories unpredictable. He also made the stories interesting and appealing to read. The plots of many of the stories really surprised me. For example, the story “lamb to the slaughter”, he revealed the dark side of human nature with detailed description of the protagonist Mary Maloney. I have also never thought that Mary would kill his
Ng Man Lok Matt
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting selection consisted of many stories by Roald Dahl, an outstanding novelist/storyteller, this book includes a variety of short stories including 'Lamb to the Slaughter', which was a murder story with a clear storyline but also had an unexpected turn of events, the story was well written thanks to the good use of the descriptive language and unique plot, another interesting story was ‘Man from The South’, it also has a smooth storyline and a great twist that will surprise every ...more
Zebardast Zebardast
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Roald Dahl (September 13, 1916 to November 23, 1990) was a British author who penned 19 children's books over his decades-long writing career. In 1953 he published the best-selling story collection Someone Like You and married actress Patricia Neal. He published the popular book James and the Giant Peach in 1961. In 1964 he released another highly successful work, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which was later adapted for two films.
Amy Rollason
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adore almost every story in this collection!
Tiffany Chiang
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This book includes many famous short stories from Ronald Dahl. The short stories in this book often start the story with a catchy beginning and ends with a creepy way.Roald Dahl’s short stories often requires readers to guess the ending.I like the landlady and lamb to the slaughter more.The mystery in these stories began near the start of the story, continues with a surprising twist.
Chen Wing Hei Micheline
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 11-14 year olds
Recommended to Chen Wing Hei Micheline by: It's compulsory to learn this in my school for English.
Shelves: finished-reading
This book has 9 stories. It includes Man From The South, Lamb To The Slaughter, The Landlady,
The Champion Of The World, Galloping Foxley, Mrs Bixby And The Colonel's Coat, Skin, The Ratcatcher, The Hitchhiker. Some stories are creepy, especially the ones that are about murder, betting on a body part, vanishing people who don't come back and selling skin. Not all the stories are creepy, some are actually slightly more interesting since there might be plot twist, depending on which story you're
Lindsay
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As part of my World Book Night reading challenge I should have been reading Short Stories by Roald Dahl - unfortunately this was produced especially for the WBN and therefore not available to buy so I came across this collection instead.

Having recently read another book of short stories that I didn't enjoy so much I was a bit dubious about reading another. But as this was part of a reading challenge I felt compelled too.

This collection of 9 stories includes the following:

Man from the South, Lamb
Azat Sultanov
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I never knew Roald Dahl wrote for adults as well and I was really surprised when I just opened the book at a random page and started reading,it was nothing like a children's book. I was delighted with the story and detrmined to read the book from cover to cover. I wasn't disappointed. If you like stories with surprising endings I'm sure you will totally enjoy this book.
Lauren
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Some of the best short stories I've ever read - disturbing and darkly funny, but never gratuitous, as the most horrific episodes are often implied rather than actually described. "The Rat-catcher", "The Landlady", "Skin" and "Lamb to the Slaughter" were particularly good.
Bill Barlow
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
a bit surprising
Feranda
Apr 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I thought it was a storybook... its nice but its so irritating, when i want to read on, THE EXCERPT ENDS!!!
Shivaansh Gounder
I really like the complex ideas of the Lamb of the Slaughter!!!
Jenny Burridge

• The Funhouse
  • 大江大海:一九四九
  • 夢華錄
  • 名字的玫瑰 (董啟章中短篇小說集. I)
  • Thanks to Jennings (Jennings, #8)
  • Typically Jennings
  • Jennings In Particular
  • Father In A Fix

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as A Piece of Cake. The story, about his wartime