Start by marking “Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model” as Want to Read:
Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model

Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model

You have a new venture in mind. And you've crafted a business plan so detailed it's a work of art. Don't get too attached to it.

As John Mullins and Randy Komisar explain in Getting to Plan B, new businesses are fraught with uncertainty. To succeed, you must change the plan in real time as the inevitable challenges arise. In fact, studies show that entrepreneurs who stick
Published September 8th 2009 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Getting to Plan B, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting to Plan B

Start your review of Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model
Amit
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book with lots of examples. You can 90% by reading the first couple chapters and skimming the rest.

Notes:

Your First Plan Probably Will Not Work

The research on new products success and failure indicates that it takes fifty-eight new products ideas to deliver a single successful new product.
Getting to Plan B is about how to avoid getting stuck in a rut, missing real opportunities, or worse, closing your doors.
Running out of cash isn’t a cause; it’s a symptom or a signal that the company’s
Herve
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
It’s the second book I read from Randy Komisar (after the Monk and the Riddle) and I have to admit I preferred his first book even if Getting to Plan B is quite good too. I might have been slightly misled by the title even though the subtitle was quite clear, Breaking Through to a Better Business Model. But it might be I never read seriously subtitles. I thought the book was about what you do when you were wrong first. But it is more subtle. It is not so much about what happens if your idea was ...more
Bartosz Majewski
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Great book that adresses an issue with most business plans - 90% of them never work. And 10% that actually work did not worked like they were planned in the first place. Highly practical. Must read for founders in the startup world but also for anyone that wants to start a business. It's a golden nugget.
Boni Aditya
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What is so unique about this book?

This book lends Statistical Thinking, Hypothesis testing and a Dashboard with Metrics and a thorough Framework to the rather theoretical framework of the Business Model Canvas.

I have read a few books about Business Models, after reading a few books about Mental Models, all these are theoretical frameworks, i.e. they show the eagle-eye view of how the business must be modeled, for example, The Books Business Model Generator and Business Model for Teams and
Jacek Bartczak
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Valuable business books should change the perspective by delivering different insights or frameworks which can interpret the entrepreneurial environment. Most of the frameworks look like "5 steps to earn your 1st million", but that book delivers much more useful framework. The title can also be "How to diagnose which element of your business is a bottle-neck".

"Getting to Plan B" includes a wide range of examples of different companies (startups, traditional businesses, corporations, NGOs) which
Jose Papo
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very good book about how to discover your business model.The most interesting and different idea I found in the book is the one about learning from other companies (actual or historic) to help find and validate your business hypotheses. Learn from successful examples worth mimicking in some way and examples to which you explicitly choose to do things differently
Tobias Taylor
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, advertising
EASILY THE BEST BUSINESS BOOK I'VE READ.

The book is even more useful than its title suggests. Yes, it does cover adapting your business plan when you realise that your original plan was off-course. However, it manages to cover this in the first two chapters. Following on from this we get a model for building the non-product side of your business and both the authors do a great job of enabling the reader to get down to the bones of how their company will sustain itself. They answer questions you
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consie guide for developing a business model which has five elements: Revenue, Gross Margin. Operating, Working Capital, and Investment. Using other businesses as analogs and antilogs by way of case studies may be a helpful way for start-up entrepreneurs to grasp the concept of testing assumptions early on before going down a path solely based on a leap of faith. This book will be a welcome supplement to an entrepreneurs workshop I conduct. Overall a useful business planning book for start-ups ...more
Mary
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While some of the stories and financial data are dated, that is not the fault of the authors. The concepts presented in this book along with the action steps are concepts I wish I had known when I started my business journey.

I had the fortune of seeing some of these concepts in action at my former employer and now see the value.

For those starting their entrepreneurial journey, take the time and learn about analogs, antilogs, leaps of faith, and dashboards. It may just lower your stress level.
Danny Iny
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every new business comes with a business plan, and authors John Mullins and Randy Komisar assert that the original business plan is rarely the right one. Getting to Plan B teaches a systematic way to test your Plan A and iterate it--so you can find your winning business model before you run out of cash. This book will show you how to use analogs, antilogs, and leaps of faith to discover the most profitable business model.
Ignacio
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I hesitated between 3 and 4 stars because this book has several interesting concepts but also very basic overviews as well. It feels that it’s written for people with no business background. However, I enjoyed the cases described in the book and the framework of analogs, antilogs, testing and iterating is clearly what many business leaders need to get back to these days. In a way, the B in the title of the book is for Basic and sometimes, Getting Back to Basics is all you need to succeed.
Alexandra Zhang
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read on breaking through to a better business model - highly recommended! There are loads of learnings on using analogs, antilogs, leaps of faith and dashboarding to help anyone refine Plan A/creating Plan B.
Navid Baharlooie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
It’s a great book if you’re new to startups and need some frameworks for stress testing your ideas and assumptions, or if you need an introduction to the key financial drives in every business model.
Marvin Musfiq
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a second thought provoking book. This book compel you to think twice about your "perfectly written business plan'. A must read for entrepreneur who are seeking startup funding.
Franco Arda
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ordering this book was a no-brainer.

Every (would be) entrepreneur who has enjoyed reading Randy's ,Goodbye Carrier, Hello Success` knows Randy`s wisdom for entrepreneurs. It'd call him the ,Zen Entrepreneur` for his enlightement and razor sharp thinking (for a taste, check out Youtube ,the biggest successes are often bred from failures).

The book is about a rarely covered topic: Getting to plan B (if necessary to Z). If the founders of Google, PayPal or Starbucks had stuck to their original plan,
Franco Arda
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ordering this book was a no-brainer.

Nithya Nagarathinam
Not for one sitting.

I wonder if there is a point beyond which we become too impatient for books styled like lectures, albeit with tons of case studies. Two chapters through, I have shelved it for now.

This book is, on the whole, a good compilation of case studies, categorized as analogs and antilogs, with valuable, though not breakthrough, insights for early stage entrepreneurs. Be that as it may, all of us, not only entrepreneurs have made plans and hence must have got to a Plan B at some
DT
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Like most business books, not too long. A very high-level summary of one way to think about a business model. It seems pretty practical to me; the most interesting parts are the examples given of different companies (Toyota, eBay, Zara, etc...) and how they solved some problem in their business model.
Scott
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent guide for any entrepreneur, whether he or she is looking to improve an existing business plan or creating a new, viable one. Very practical advice and includes plenty of illuminating examples.
Jay
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it
I would recommend this book to aspiring entrepreneurs, particularly those without a background in business or accounting, as an overview to the concept of iteration. For further exploration on iteration, I would also recommend work by Steve Blank and Eric Ries.
Wade Brooks
Core reading for entrepreneurs. I just re-read it in prep. for teaching a class.
Steen Sørensen
A need to read book for all managers
Lloyd Jong
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very important book for anyone on the verge to start a business or who wonder what is the next move to make! A must read
Aleksei
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Business models 101. Great source of success stories of companies from around the world.
Darko
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
very basic, repetitive, misleading title, worn-out business examples. did like the idea about working capital, though.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on business models for knowledge workers who want to be in executive role and entrepreneurs.
Karen Catlin
Mar 16, 2014 added it
Shelves: 2013
Kindle
Matthew Bradley
Excellent book and presents an interesting strategy for creating business models. Well written, useful, and engaging.
Lanre Dahunsi
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
On Point.
Robert Bailey
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Top 10

• The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A cheat sheet to The Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services
  • What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Mastering the VC Game: A Venture Capital Insider Reveals How to Get from Start-up to IPO on Your Terms
  • Street Smarts: An All-Purpose Tool Kit for Entrepreneurs
  • Playing to Win: How Strategy Really Works
John Mullins is an Associate Professor of Management Practice in Entrepreneurship and Marketing at the London Business School. He earned his MBA at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and his Ph.D. at the University of Minnesota. An award-winning teacher, John brings to his teaching and research 20 years of executive experience in high-growth retailing firms including two ventures he founded ...more