Start by marking “Don't Squeal Unless It's a Big Deal: A Tale of Tattletales” as Want to Read:
Don't Squeal Unless It's a Big Deal: A Tale of Tattletales

Don't Squeal Unless It's a Big Deal: A Tale of Tattletales

With humor and exuberance, a compassionate problem-solving teacher shows classmate piglets who squeal incessantly on each other how to know when to tell and when to solve conflicts themselves. Includes Note to Parents and Teachers. Full-color illustrations.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 8/15/2005 Pages: 2006 Reading Level: Age 4 and Up
Published August 15th 2005 by Magination Press

To ask other readers questions about Don't Squeal Unless It's a Big Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Squeal Unless It's a Big Deal

Start your review of Don't Squeal Unless It's a Big Deal: A Tale of Tattletales
Cheryl
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh well done.
Now of course this is a very didactic book. But it's also entertaining and delightful, w/ plenty of giggles prompted by the barnyard setting.
I am pleased, and would have loved this when I was in teacher-training esp. I will look for more by Ransom.
Oksana
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book for discussing tattling with your didn't. Some teacher /parent resources in the back of the book as well 🙌
Sylvester
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
2* art
2* story

Kitty
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book
This was a great one for my whiny tattle-tales--now I can just ask "Is it a big deal? If not, don't squeal!"
Smita
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gavin
5-YO loved this book. I like the lesson too but found the actual delivery of the story a bit odd. (2 stars for me; 5 stars for the kiddo).
Dan
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a nice book that I could see being useful in many classrooms and even work settings too.
Liz Todd
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good one, although kind of long!
Christina
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Love this as a way to discuss all the "concern" for others and the need to tell me about everything.
Melissa
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Ransom, J., & Urbanovic, J. (2006). Don't squeal unless it's a big deal: A tale of tattletales. Washington, D.C.: Magination Press.

Picture Book Soak

This is a book that I would really like to use with students. This is a great book that helps teach children about the life skill of trying to work “kid-sized” problems out by themselves, and knowing when it’s a “big” problem that needs to be told to an adult. The story is about a teacher named Mrs. McNeal who has a class
Shannon
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Inside Cover:
Although most kids' problems are kid-sized ones that they can work out themselves, tattling is a fact of life for young children. Their ability to solve problems on their own is just developing, and they often feel they can't manage a situation without the help of an adult. As every teacher and parent knows, kids also tattle on their classmates and siblings because they want to look like the "good child," or be appreciated as helpful, or even just get some attention. And of course,
Natalie
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers and parents
Recommended to Natalie by: amazon recommended -- got it from the library
Funny book. Great to use at the beginning of the year in the classroom or throughout the year to help children understand the difference between tattling and telling about important things. I am going to use it.

I love it when the one pig tells on the other for "picking at his snout" or for "calling his desk a pig-sty"

When the pig said "Laura looked at me." That reminded me of many of our lovely students needing some reminders of what is important to tell on someone for:)

Gwen Ayler
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Something all teachers have to go over at one point or another is tattling versus telling. In this book Mr. McNeal's class of 19 students also has 19 tattletales.
This is a great book for teachers to pull out in that first week of school (and maybe a couple more times throughout the year) to go over the rule "don't squeal unless it's a big deal!"
The children have to learn how to handle "kid-sized problems" by talking, listening, and helping each other while also knowing when to get an adult involve
Amy
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
My class really enjoyed this book a lot, and I did as well. I related to all the "kid sized" things that students tend to complain about, and I thought that was a very good term to use. Having pigs as characters added humor to the story. There were a lot of valuable points and things that I can use to help remind my students to not tattle. When students have tried to tattle to me I have reminded them of the book, and its title, or asked, "Are you a little piggie trying to get someone into troubl ...more
Angela Hutchinson
iParenting Media Award Winner!

This is a great book about tattle telling. I would use this in early elementary classrooms to teach the students between tattling and informing the teacher about a danger. Most young students tattle on their peers for various different reasons. This book will help the students learn the difference. I read this to a group of students.
Karina Espinales
This is a great book for kindergarteners until 2nd grade! It is a book about tattle telling. It shows the students when they can and when they shouldn't. I loved it because it uses squeal instead of tattle tell. It is a good book to ask children about things that may occur and think about decisions that they can make.
Yadira
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This would be an excellent book to read at the being of the year to set the rules on tattling and when it is appropriate to tell the teacher about a problem. This book tells the full story of a class of tattling little animals. The teacher in the book comes up with some rules about tattling and they are quite good.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I saw this on pinterest and had to read it.

Fun way to discuss tattling with students. Also, there is a note to parents and teachers at the back of the book that offers more insight about tattling and tips for teaching children alternatives to tattling.

Pawsitive School  Counselor
Hands down my favorite book to use to discuss "tattling." It's great! After we read it we always play "Squeal or No Squeal" Read more about my lesson here: http://www.sassyschoolcounselor.blogs...
Kelly Carey
This book is meant to help teach students about tattling. It was written by a guidance counselor and includes a parent/teacher guide in the back. The text itself may be too lengthy for some young children.
Shannon Kitchen
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've always struggled with explaining the difference between tattling and telling someone when something's really wrong. I think this book does a great job of illustrating the difference. It would definitely be a great book to share in a classroom.
Paula
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Another great book about tattling!
Michelle Nero
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A good tale to share with students. Includes notes to teachers and parents about how to help children deal with problems on their own, unless of course it's a big deal.
Stacey Gillman
Jan 01, 2015 marked it as to-read
Ketron book
Elisabeth
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Good books on tattling and how to teach children about conflict resolution. And how to figure out how to determine what's a big deal and what isn't.
Jessica
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This author explains what tattletelling is in such a simple and humorous way. I enjoyed this book.
Lisa
Nov 14, 2018
Rauni
Nov 13, 2017
Angelique Loeffler
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-to-be
A good story that tells a story of a classroom that is made of 19 tattletales. Different scenarios are shown and how the teacher helps to mediate. In the back of the book, the psychology and social impact of tattling is addressed to teeh teachers and parents.
Shirin Zarqa-Lederman
May 16, 2016
tanalee
Mar 19, 2018

• What If Everybody Did That?
  • Lacey Walker, Nonstop Talker
  • Do Unto Otters: A Book about Manners
  • A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue: Helping Kids Learn the Difference Between Tattling and Telling
  • You Get What You Get
  • My Mouth Is a Volcano!
  • The Most Magnificent Thing
  • Personal Space Camp: Teaching Children the Concepts of Personal Space
  • Enemy Pie (Reading Rainbow Book, Children’s Book about Kindness, Kids Books about Learning)
  • The Invisible Boy
  • But It's Not My Fault!
  • Mousetronaut: Based on a (Partially) True Story
  • Karen's Kittycat Club (Baby-Sitters Little Sister, #4)
  • The CHAOS Cure: Clean Your House and Calm Your Soul in 15 Minutes
  • Hacking School Discipline: 9 Ways to Create a Culture of Empathy and Responsibility Using Restorative Justice (Hack Learning Series Book 22)
  • Mother's Day Mayhem (A Tourist Trap Mystery #6.5)
  • Seeds and Trees
  • Eternity Is Now in Session: A Radical Rediscovery of What Jesus Really Taught about Salvation, Eternity, and Getting to the Good Place
Jeanie Franz Ransom is a children's picture-book author and former elementary school counselor with a penchant for puns and a fondness for fractured fairytales. Her books include the award-winning "What Really Happened to Humpty?" and "The Crown Affair," and her newest title, "Cowboy Car."

Jeanie also writes self-help books for kids and the adults in their lives, including "Don't Squeal Unless It'