Start by marking “Life After Death: The Burden of Proof” as Want to Read:
Life After Death: The Burden of Proof

Life After Death: The Burden of Proof

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  1,758 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews
Deepak Chopra has touched millions of readers by demystifying our deepest spiritual concerns while retaining their poetry and wonder. Now he turns to the most profound mystery: What happens after we die? Is this one question we were not meant to answer, a riddle whose solution the universe keeps to itself? Chopra tells us there is abundant evidence that “the world beyond” ...more
Published October 17th 2006 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Life After Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life After Death

Stacie
Oct 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this guy! He is so intriguing. I have seen him on TV and always thought what he said made sense. So I bought this book... my first Deepak Chopra book. I feel that he has many important things to say, but uses long confusing sentences when he could have easily gotten away with a simpler one. I found myself rereading sentence after sentence. Its not that the vocabulary was difficult, its just that some of the wording can be a bit convoluted. Here is an example.. picked out of the book...

"I
Tim
Nov 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thought provoking, fascinating book. Deepak Chopra pulls insights from all the world's spiritual traditions and life-after-death experiences. I like his general assertion that the world of spirit isn't somewhere else, but right here, in the same space we inhabit; it just vibrates at a higher frequency that we usually can’t see, much like radio waves coursing through the air that we don’t detect. I also like his general conclusion; that after death what the souls sees and experiences is largely ...more
Cyndie
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am slowly but surely making my way through this amazing book. As a "non-beliver" I am finding myself believing in the extraordinary view of the universe that Chopra posits. Even if you don't believe in reincarnation, in the unity of all things, you will find his perspective useful as a learning experience, as a way to understand your purpose in life and in death.

Quite possibly the most remarkable thing I have ever read.
Adam
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deepal Chopra is basically "Pop Eastern Mysticism". This isn't some ancient text from Buddhists who lived thousands of years ago, but as a newbie to world religions, it helped me grasp the concepts of Eastern philosophies like Vedanta. I don't know much about reincarnation, universal consciousness, or astral planes, so this book helped give a brief overview of the many thoughts on the subjects.

I especially like the second half of the book (much shorter than the first) that discussed many differe
Robert C.
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life after Death according to Deepak Chopra didn't really tell me anything I didn't know already, which either means his thesis empty or it's preaching to the converted. Probably the latter.

Here's the essence though - you don't die so don't worry about it.

The rest is just science (quantum physics etc.) and conjecture based on the science and Mr Chopra's thoughts and experiences.

I find my mind flip-flopping between world views like those expressed in this book (mind separate from brain, which sur
Julie
Feb 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it's the prospect of "til death do you part" or maybe it's my looming 40 birthday, but I've lately been a little preoccupied with the afterlife, or I guess with my dark fears in the middle of the night that there IS no afterlife. When I bring it up, people usually confess visions of fluffy cloud heaven or insist that they're content to turn into dirt. "Hey, you'll be dead," they say, "You won't know!" Not terribly consoling.

So, someone recommended this book to me -- okay, okay, it was my t
Eja Batbold
Renae
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued by what this book could offer. I lost my father to cancer a couple of years ago and have struggled even more with the idea of heaven. I am always curious as to how other people view life after death.

The first half of the book was interesting. It actually gave words to my feelings & thoughts. With that being said it was extremely repetitive. He could have written that portion in less than half the text he did.

Like other reviews I have seen I also believe it was condescending
Heidi The Hippie Reader
I enjoyed the first part of this more than the second. The first part was set up as a story telling session with bits of metaphysical teachings in-between the sections to explain the story. The second half was quantum mechanics and theory. Very deep. It was like listening to or reading an article by Amit Goswami- I would understand a part, then lose the thread of his thought, and then spend the next five minutes backtracking to where I lost him. Despite some difficulties, I learned a lot from th ...more
Hussain Sehore
Aug 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one, At least not to Indians.
Recommended to Hussain by: The title was appealing
This book didnt meet my expectations. It seems like the book is trying sell eastern vision of death to the people of Christian faith or the western world.

Deepak Chopra simply accepts everything that has been put offered by vedas or even Hindu mythology. Throughout the book keeps comparing the it with Christan version. Mention of Hindu mythology is in form of story of Savitry (Lady who wants to save life of her husband from God of death), which runs though out the book.

Though out the book there a
Mary
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Persuasive yet unfulfilling to those of us raised in Western religious traditions. Dr. Chopra shows us similarities between the Vedantic view of the afterlife and modern science. So it makes sense that the energy of individual souls has existed forever, therefore can never be destroyed. However, the appeal of the Christian (and Islamic) versions of heaven is strong -- I WANT to be reunited with my deceased loved ones, all of our personalities intact and ready to spend eternity together. I suppos ...more
Srikanth
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophical
There are lot of places which I felt getting repeated and not focussed to the core. The core which I felt while reading this book and appreciated the fact that death is no more and not to afraid on that... as the soul will be only existent and body / matter which holds soul get decayed. Based on Karma, it enters into another body. Thats the crux.. but the depiction of story line and other facts discussed is not much focussed and wavering.

Kingchris73
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only choose winners to read, or I like everything I read, not sure. If you want to keep an open mind, and a chance to let your mind work it's magic I think you'll enjoy this book. For me it was a liberating book, freeing me from the constraints of popular belief in today's society. This is how I think!
Robin
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like listening to Deepak Chopra so I had high hopes in reading this book. I felt the book was somewhat superficial... like "Chopra Light". Perhaps this won't be so for others but it did not speak to me.
Holly
An excellent, thought provoking book. It's one where I felt that if I could really grasp all the concepts it would be life changing.....I plan to read it again in the future and hopefully take in more of the information. Even still, it was intriguing and inspirational.
Miron Lulic
As someone who isn't very religious or spiritual, I thought this was a compelling book. Life After Death explores Hindu spirituality and concepts such as planes of existence. Chopra's belief that death is just being a stopping point on an endless soul journey is comforting.
Meera
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A good book to get rid of your fear of death(if you have one)!
D.G. Kaye
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always love to hear his thoughts, very deep interesting book but I am not convinced.
Regina Walker
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting book. Think I will have to read a few more times with my "western mind" to grasp the concepts..
Nina
Sep 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Crappy.
Spencer
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I generally agree with most of what Deepak has to say, I've always been a bit skeptical--not about his ideas, but his presentation and motivation. I'm just not a big fan of "how to" books, in general. But this particular book is really pretty fantastic. I almost gave it five stars. It's almost like it came from a modern Annie Besant. I say this in the sense that Besant was able to distill the essence of Blavatsky's massive tomes, Isis Unveiled and The Secret Doctrine, in a way that w ...more
Robert Narojek
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book :)
While it is impossible to have a proof of Afterlife, and Chopra underlines this throughout the text, at the same time this is the first book on the subject that I have read, stating scientific facts from most recent research on the subject and understanding of The Conciouseness as Universal Means for the Afterlife. While looking at the subject of Life after Death from The Indian Tradition perspective he also, sort of, "validates" the subject from the different religions perspectives
Beth
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deepak's writing suits my philosophical moods. I enjoy how he doesn't present spiritual discussions ethnocentrically, but allows the reader to observe these practices by various cultural perceptions. Does he ever actually prove life after death? Well, no. But the theoretical physics discussed serves to make you think, "Huh. Might be. Possible. Huh...."
shirley
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A close relative just passed away last week, so I sought solace in Deepak Chopra's book "Life after Death".

Deepak talked about the mind, the brain, the soul, consciousness, reincarnation, mental telepathy... plenty of absorb.
Christian Storer
This is a misleading title. This book provides very little in the way of proof, and instead provides allegory and unsubstantiated mystic philosophy. For those looking for empirical evidence or self evident truth, look elsewhere.
Sankha Debnath
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-collection-1
The most influential book I have read on the concept of Afterlife and the philosophy it expresses
Jean-Michel Desire
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
A simplistic yet gripping approach to help us understand why we should not fear death, especially once we grasp that there is a part of each of us that never dies. Truly enjoyable.
D.M.  Williams
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful. Although my perspective has shifted slightly since I first read it.
Kimberly
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though provoking and stimulating. Confirmed a lot of my thought processes.
Sabeen
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality, history
Ancient Eastern Wisdom traditions have found a devotee in me. Deepak Chopra is amazing.
  • Unbelievable: Investigations into Ghosts, Poltergeists, Telepathy, and Other Unseen Phenomena from the Duke Parapsychology Laboratory
  • Fingerprints of God: The Search for the Science of Spirituality
  • The Genesis Enigma: Why the Bible Is Scientifically Accurate
  • The Tunnel and the Light: Essential Insights on Living and Dying
  • Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives
  • Family of Light: Pleiadian Tales and Lessons in Living
  • The Afterlife Experiments: Breakthrough Scientific Evidence of Life After Death
  • Insight: Case Files from the Psychic World
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • The Spontaneous Healing of Belief: Shattering the Paradigm of False Limits
  • The Call: Discovering Why You Are Here
  • Do Dead People Watch You Shower?: And Other Questions You've Been All but Dying to Ask a Medium
  • Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul
  • The Hard Facts of the Grimms' Fairy Tales
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both
More about Deepak Chopra...
“What keeps life fascinating is the constant creativity of the soul.” 172 likes