Start by marking “Born Under Mars” as Want to Read:
Born Under Mars

Born Under Mars

[From back cover]

When mankind colonized the stars, they traveled out from Earth in two directions - to Centaurus and its Southern Hemisphere neighbors and to Ursa Major and the constellations around Polaris. And strange to say the humans who settled on those various worlds began to develop into two differing and antagonistic types.

For Ray Mallin, born under the surface of
Mass Market Paperback, #G-664, 127 pages
Published 1967 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Born Under Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born Under Mars

Start your review of Born Under Mars
Jim
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1paper, 2fiction, scifi
Brunner is an overlooked author, IMO. He managed a very tight mystery with some really interesting tech & social issues in our space faring future. Great conspiracy theory, too. No skimming allowed, though. He makes ever word count. The social issues, schisms in society brought on by our expansion, were a bit of a stretch, unfortunately. Still, that was just one detail I had to swallow & everything else fell into place well.
Jim
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
John Brunner (1934-1995) was a British science fiction writer who wrote some of the best stuff in the field. One of my favorite of all SF books is one of his-"Times Without Number"- which got me interested in alternate history. This one is from 1967 and like the best of Brunner deals with ideas. I like his ideas-and his writing style--but the universe he builds here is very undeveloped. After all, it's short -127 pgs. in the ACE pb edition. It made for a super-fast read, but, really, left me ...more
Keary Birch
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Not John Brunner's best. Too much exposition for my liking but still made me think
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
review of
John Brunner's Born Under Mars
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - February 25, 2013

This is the 5th Brunner bk I've read & reviewed in quick succession. The 1st 4 were The World Swappers ( http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23... ), Times Without Number ( http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/63... ), The Whole Man ( http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/86... ), & The Long Result ( http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31... ). I've gone from being someone who was vaguely interested in
John
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful example of why John Brunner is my favorite Sci-fi author. Not only was this story actually interesting it painted my minds image of each character so clearly without much detail. Which is weird considering the lack of details actually worked for me. If I was a better artist I'd try drawing them myself but in my mind the martians are a cross bread of Ebony Maw (Marvel) and art style of clone wars. Which is interesting to me because neither of which I've really taken much ...more
Ron
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had little in the way of expectations for this book and it managed to exceed these. This isn't a long novel, but it still managed to feel stretched out in various places. The first half of the book is the much better half, as a space engineer from Mars returns home under less than ideal conditions and suddenly finds himself a wanted man merely because of the ship he worked on - or so it seems. We have a mystery here that managed to disappoint in the second half of the work. This is mostly a ...more
Kenneth
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ray Mallin, born and raised on Mars, gets caught up in a conflict between 2 branches of humanity that had colonized different star systems.
PetSch
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,2
Marianne
May 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gone, sci-fi, philo
A lone Mars-born man gets entangled in a multi-faction drama, from sheer luck.

I like the ideas of the factions. And the idea behind the plot. But it felt like there could have been more depth to the story. The danger was trivialized early in the book, and that dulled the drama.

I liked the style of writing, and it sounds like other books by this author are worth checking out.
Data
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
A fine little book about the future of the human race. Along the lines of Asimov's Foundation series, but just a bite-sized chunk, instead of the whole pie. A personal tale, without a huge cast of characters to bog you down; John Brunner's tale of a few weeks in the life of Ray Mallin addresses a potential solution to one problem facing humanity in the future.
Peter
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, read-in-2010
Quick read, but really surprisingly involving. The focus here is on the cultural differences between two branches of humanity, with a citizen of Mars being the 'man in the middle'. Not one of his best books, but even so, mediocre Brunner is better than some other writer's best work.
Mike
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what to make of this book. Not a bad story, but nothing outstanding. Couldn't really identify with the characters which might not have helped. I think its was okay about summed it up for me.
Thomas
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely a creature of its time. It bears all the hallmarks of 1960s science-fiction magazine fiction. I don't know whether it started out that way or not but I know that Brunner did a lot of magazine writing. The style shows it.
Lera
Mar 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read, but with a dated feel, and not as much humour as some of Brunner's work. The underlying premise on genetics and societal evolution is disappointing.

Had previously read, but sieve-like memory forgot the plot.
gazoo
Jul 17, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the only thing interesting about this novel was the cover. i have the early edition. thank mars it was only 127 pages.
Charles
Pretty good. Some of Brunner's stuff didn't have a lot of adventure in it but this one did.
John
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Grade D-
Craig Herbertson
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Brunner's obviously competent but this political Sf leaves me cold
Paul Vittay
Sep 12, 2013
Ron Johnson
Apr 15, 2014
Gerri Balter
rated it did not like it
Jun 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sweat the Technique: Revelations on Creativity from the Lyrical Genius
  • Who Fears Death (Who Fears Death, #1)
  • Harvest of Stars (Harvest of Stars, #1)
  • The Divine Supermarket: Travels in Search of the Soul of America
  • Blood and Iron (There Will Be War, #3)
  • Under My Thumb: Songs That Hate Women and the Women That Love Them
  • Guns of Darkness (There Will Be War, #6)
  • Firefly Original Graphic Novel: The Sting
  • Firefly: The Unification War  Vol. 1
  • Firefly: The Unification War Vol 2
  • Travels with My Aunt
  • Bloodstone (Jon Shannow, #3)
  • A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14)
  • QualityLand
  • The Day of Their Return
  • Dogs of War
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
  • Liberating the Gospels: Reading the Bible with Jewish Eyes
John Brunner was born in Preston Crowmarsh, near Wallingford in Oxfordshire, and went to school at St Andrew's Prep School, Pangbourne, then to Cheltenham College. He wrote his first novel, Galactic Storm, at 17, and published it under the pen-name Gill Hunt, but he did not start writing full-time until 1958. He served as an officer in the Royal Air Force from 1953 to 1955, and married Marjorie ...more