Start by marking “The Other 8 Hours: Maximize Your Free Time to Create New Wealth & Purpose” as Want to Read:
The Other 8 Hours: Maximize Your Free Time to Create New Wealth & Purpose

The Other 8 Hours: Maximize Your Free Time to Create New Wealth & Purpose

You sleep (hopefully) for 8 hours. You work (at least) 8 hours. What are you doing in those remaining 8 hours of your day, and more importantly, what are the other 8 hours doing for you? To the bleary-eyed worker who doesn't have time to stop and catch his breath, the idea of having 8 hours may sound absurd. If that's you, this is your wake-up call. THE OTHER 8 HOURS provi ...more
Published January 5th 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Other 8 Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other 8 Hours

Emily
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Somewhat annoyingly optimistic and rah-rah-you-can-do-it! in tone, this book actually does have some useful nuggets. The general premise, that it is in the "other 8 hours" when we're not working our 9-to-5 or sleeping that we can really make something of our lives and get ahead, rings true. But some of the suggestions for application were lacking or far-fetched. As a SAHM, I certainly don't have a 9-to-5 job and I'm not sure exactly where the "other 8 hours" come in for me. There are occasionall ...more
Merlyn
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
#Indonesian version#
I decided to not finish this book. I assumed this book talks more about how we manage our time. Overall, this book suggests us to consider working online (whether as online seller, blogger, and so on) or another job that can we do in short time. I am never be into finance or business books, so maybe that is why I do not have passion to finish this book. In sumarry, this book explains to us that do not underestimate the other 8 hours that we have. Sometimes we only use this ti
Susan Kendrick
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
There was a fair amount of content in this book that didn't apply to me, but I still enjoyed reading it. I find productivity books invigorating. Probably if I stopped reading them so much and instead actually DID something they would be even more effective, but hey, we've all got our struggles.
Julia
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
前半段和書名還算相符, 後半段搖身變成創業指南.
於是開始讀不入心, 隨便翻閱就勉強把它讀完了!
Harry Roger Williams III
There was some familiar material here. I loved the title of Chapter 11, "Stop Talking and Start Getting," but could pretty much recite verbatim the "pot roast story" he opens it with. He makes good use of it though, to contrast habits that drain us with the power of creating new habits that can take us to another level. Mark Joyner and Steve Chandler are not listed in the Endnotes or the Index, but I can hear them speaking in the background. Seth Godin and David Allen too. All are favorites of t ...more
Dan
Feb 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a very fast read. If you are looking to be more productive in the time you aren’t at work, this book helps you find ways to carve out the time. The book is pretty straightforward and is creatively marketed – people who control the time they spend out of work are called “Cre8tors” an allusion to the title of course. The first chapter is slow, spending too much time selling the reader on the value of the “other 8 hours” (if you are reading the book, you already get it) but the book moves o ...more
Beth
Feb 23, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was OK - I would have given it 2 1/2 stars if possible. The author talks about maximizing the "other 8 hours" in your life - the time you have to yourself (assuming you work 8 hours per day and sleep 8 hours per day). He encourages readers to pursue their dreams and use this time to make them happen - whether that involves pursuing education, a business, or just re-prioritizing your time to use it doing what you want. He has some good suggestions for getting rid of low-priority tasks ( ...more
Itasca Community Library
Tuki says:

This book will be meaningful to those who feel they’re just not living up to their full potential, that they can do more. “The more” can be anything you want it to be, losing weight, making more money, or living a more purposeful life. The “8” hours that the author speaks of is of course hypothetical as most of us who work full-time don’t have eight full hours of free time but basically the author makes you question how you spend your free time. If your objective is to be more producti
Betsy
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be a very inspiring book, focused on how to use the 8 hours of your day when you're not at work and not sleeping to pursue your dreams. It really made me want to quit my job and start my own business, so be careful if you read it! Yes, it has left me a little unsettled in my work life, but it really inspired me to think about business options outside of the 9 to 5. I highly recommend this book (but beware, you might want to switch career directions).
Amanda
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it
I found parts of this book useful and interesting. It made me really want to identify my life's leeches and find ways to create a more meaningful life but like most of these books, the ways to make money are too far fetched for the average joe. I guarantee that most people are not making thousands off their blogs every month. The other get rich ideas are equally unattainable for the average person.
Sandra
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!!! It's not often that I find a self-help book that has great advice from cover to cover. Pagliarini gives great, relavant tips for maximizing my free time. I found this book to be inspiring and it has renewed my enthusiam for life in general but also my day-to-day activities and how to maximize my time.
Septiara
That was inspiring book, how you deal with time? Could you control them?. It made me to try to be more productive person. Unfortunately, I got this book in Bahasa edition, and sometimes i did'n get the idea-in some sentences because the translating were lil bit confusing. Overall I got the idea and I think this book was pretty-insightful!

A must read! i'm sure that'd be useful :)
Bryce
May 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-a-copy
I really enjoyed some of the points this book brought out. I think he focuses too much on getting money with your Other 8 Hours, but perhaps he figures he may not be qualified to help as many people in the areas of family, church, and so on. Still, a great book with some interesting points that I need to be reminded of periodically.
Fullfaun
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this intro was drivel and he uses some quotes-Not many, but I use that as a benchmark. If an author has to quote other people, they are just doing it to fill up their book with other's words.

but the 1st or 2nd chapter- WOW! bulleted list of 5 things you should be doing and it explains why and tells a story of a business person who uses these habits now.
Christina
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-christina
While this isn't the most inspiring self improvement book I've ever read, I will say it is full of resources, helpful information and is up to date in technology. A must read for any entrepreneur or someone looking to earn a little extra income. The last third of the book is about making change happen, and it's a bit generic but a nice fit.
Peggy
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Some good bits of information but overall, the book didn't stick with me. Like an inspirational talk that fades after a week. Not very applicable to people with non-traditional employment or homemakers. Author started out well with helping us identify time "leeches." The second half of the book devolved into "... and then start a second business and make a ton of money!" If it were so easy...
Joan Zhu
this is the amzing book that inspire you to think about yout self , it can apply everywhere in your life . and it is also the book for helping you to get to know your daily scheduel ,to improve your life into another different status . you will know how to make your time and master it by a purpose tht you want to go .
Kikka
Oct 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed his writing style. I liked the ideas he had for making the most of our time, even though I did skim through a few of the parts that didn't really pertain to my goals for what to do with my time.
Rich Quintyn
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Your fairly typical marketing fare with some insightful points mixed. Can't really say that I learned a lot from this book but it kind of highlights the importance of certain aspects of your life that you might overlook. Useful if you're looking to better manage your time and resources.
Kelli
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book made me downright frantic thinking of all I "should" be doing, until I realized the 8 hours I have left in the day should probably continue to be the hours I actually sleep and rest.
Melissa
Jul 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Pretty good advice for improving your life. Quick read, chock full of good ideas. What are you doing with your other 8 hours?
Lugaga
Apr 05, 2011 rated it liked it
仔細想想 有些時間真的是自己找出來的......
吸血的人生血蛭 滾開吧
Susan
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read it and liked it so much I bought it to read again. Easy read , but full of ideas to get you back on track to being more mindful of your time and use it rather than waste it.
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty inspiring, I might have to quickly flip back through it and take some notes so I don't forget all those good tips too quickly!
Amanda
Dec 24, 2012 rated it liked it
One of those books for reference, not for entire content. Great starting point for brainstorming time management, earning extra money, and finding more ways to do what you really love.
Nicola
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
I liked his message about not having to stay busy and occupied at every moment, but just make the most out of your life and your time.
Patricia
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very insightful. This book changed my life. I passed it on to my husband to read and it changed his life too. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Joann
Jun 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Not much new as far as information in this book. Use the "nooks and crannies" of your day wisely. A good mentor can help you in this area immensely.
Doreva
Jun 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Very useful for those considering starting a primary or secondary business in the time off of primary-work hours.
Jenny Chen
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it
I agree with the importance of the other 8 hours.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• 21 Days to a More Disciplined Life
  • How To Declutter Your Home And Your Life: Minimalist Concepts To Help You Start Organizing Today
  • Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye: A Do-It-Yourself Mouth Care System for Healthy, Clean Gums and Teeth
  • Pinterest Power: Market Your Business, Sell Your Product, and Build Your Brand on the World's Hottest Social Network
  • Secrets of Dynamic Communications: Prepare with Focus, Deliver with Clarity, Speak with Power
  • Tell Your Time: How To Manage Your Schedule So You Can Live Free
  • Clutter Rehab: 101 Tips and Tricks to Become an Organization Junkie and Love It!
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • Born to Win: Keeping Your Firstborn Edge Without Losing Your Balance
  • The MacKay MBA of Selling in the Real World
  • Earn What You're Really Worth: Maximize Your Income at Any Time in Any Market
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
  • Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading
  • The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success
  • The Great Eight: How to Be Happy (Even When You Have Every Reason to Be Miserable)
  • Lead Small