Start by marking “20 Times a Lady” as Want to Read:
20 Times a Lady

20 Times a Lady

How many men does it take to find true love?

Delilah Darling's magic number was supposed to be twenty. She always thought she'd find the perfect guy by the time she'd slept with twenty of them. But when she wakes up naked in her disgusting boss's bed after a drunken night out, she's filled with regret and realizes she's hit her self-imposed limit. Unwilling to up her numbe
Published June 27th 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2006)

Amber
Feb 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
The only reason why I read 20 Times a Lady is because I am (still) abysmally invested in the movie adaptation “What’s Your Number?”, which, I only watched because I am contractually obligated to watch anything with Chris Evans in it (also you have fab friends who open your eyes to the fab world of rom-com). Just so you know, this is actually a really good movie and everyone should watch it for the numerous occasions Chris Evans is shirtless for inexplicably no legitimate reason, like that one sc ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I wanted to get back into the romance genre since I've put it on hold on for almost a year but...this was not the place to start up again.

This sadly, was just not the read for me.
Ana  Lelis
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An adorable journey. I like the plot, it's kinda crazy but super fun. I think the main character grows throughout the book and even though she does silly things sometimes, you can't hate her, you simply laugh.
Krissy Delovely
Sep 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
My main reason for picking up this book was because my favorite writer in the history of ever, Jen Lancaster, recommended Karyn's books. That may be because they're friends. I'm pretty sure of it. Jen has never steered me wrong with her recommendations but after finishing this book I. Was. Pissed. I wanted my time back! For me, this was one of those books where halfway through I began thinking "finish it? Or abandon it? Which is the lesser of two evils at this point?"

I am a girl who follows thr
Cienne Olaes
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, favorites
I like it, that’s what I know when I bought this book. I just never knew that I am going to love it this much. This definitely tops my “to read again” list.

First thing to appreciate about the novel is the author’s creativity. Every page is like sneaking in and taking part to the life of Delilah Darling, feeling as if it was your voice speaking for her. The next thing to put emphasis on is the fact that Karyn Bosnak is hilarious and definitely deserves the “superb” remark for her first novel. Alt
Ronald Lim
Apr 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Originally from here

Having been mildly entertained by its big screen incarnation, I had expected that “20 Times A Lady” would at least be a fun read, with some memorable lines and a few romantic scenes that would get an old spinster like me going and content for the next few months. I was expecting the bare minimum from this book.

Apparently, that was already too much, as it would be fair to say that the overwhelming average-ness of “What’s Your Number” was a definite improvement over this waste
Ava
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is recklessly funny and stupid.

3 stars.
My Little Book World
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely hysterical! Delilah Darling reads an article about the average number of men a woman sleeps with in her lifetime. She is already far over this number at 19 and decides that 20 will be her cut-off point. When Delilah is let go from her job, and waste her number 20 on her revolting ex-boss, she decides to put her severance pay to good use and track down all the men she has slept with. If she finds one of them worthy of a relationship, she can keep her number at 20 without ...more
Rebecca
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
i loved it! i fell in love with colin within minutes <3 i am recommending this to everyone its a perfect light summer read!!
Cindy Andrews
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing

It was a light read,very funny but predictable. I would read more from this author. I would definitely recommend it
Jody
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was funny. Some of Delilah's escapades as she tracks down the men from her past made me laugh out loud. Her character reminded me of Bridget Jones. The ending is fairly predictable, but it still satisfies.
Katie
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite books. I read this book years before it hit the big screen as "What's you Number?". As always, the movie did not do the book justice, but thats besides the point. (Still loved the movie anyways FYI)

The basis of the story is Delilah becomes slightly obsessed with her "number" and in an effort to not add any notches to her belt, treks accross the country looking for the ex boyfriend/fling who may have turned into her Mr. Right who got away.

I found this book to
Tameka
Mar 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
I am a fan of chick-lit. I love reading about the journey of flawed women seeing as how I am one. :-) I became a fan of Karyn's blog at the beginning of this year and once I found out she was an author, I immediately put her books on my to be read list.

20 Times a Lady is the story of an incredibly flawed woman named Delilah who, through a series of hilarious circumstances ends up on a journey to reconnect with the 20 men she's been um, intimate with. While the plot was highly implausible, I felt
Laura Muir
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I only really read this book because I have seen the film and thought I'd give the book a chance. Not gonna lie, It wasn't until chapter 5 or 6 that I really became hooked. I loved how it was like you were in the mind of Delilah and how there was use of slang to put you on a 'friend' level with her. It was a really easy book to read and seemed very relaxed, there was no parts of the story that I wanted to rush through to get to a 'good bit', which is very rare nowadays.

Another bonus fo
Ash Ebrahim
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh GOD!! What a ride.
This book was exactly my perfect comedy romance movie. and Anna Faris on the cover :O can it get any better!!!
OH MY GOD!! I can't imagine the amount of laughter I've spent over this book it was just HILARIOUS!
And the thing is the book wasn't just funny the story was GREAT not unique (or maybe it was) but it was a really good story with a really strong message behind it.
We all make mistakes and we all learn from them (not always hehe) and falling and tripping over the sam
Erika
Jul 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick_lit, crys-n-me
If you want to read a book that takes place entirely in the main character's head then this is the book for you. Delilah was completely unlikeable and I did not feel for sorry for at all. After she stalks, and literally I mean stalk, her 2nd lover I couldn't take it anymore especially since she drones on and on about loving his dog more than him and she seriously kept sleeping with him because she liked his dog...WTF!!! I could not sit through 200 more pages of her self depreciating mind talk.

St
Angie
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
In theory this book kind of sounded cute, until I started reading it... I absolutely despised the main character from the very beginning. The only saving grace was the character of Colin and he isn't really in the book enough to help. Delilah is not likable at all, and it kind of made me wonder if we were supposed to like her, I'm guessing that the answer was supposed to be yes, but it is unimaginable to me how anyone could not despise her. The final thing that annoyed me almost as much as the m ...more
Beth
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
A funny and enjoyable read! After sleeping with her 20th man, Delilah sets out on a trek to find the men of her past in the hopes of rekindling a romance with "Mr. Right." She has a journey across the country and back of adventure, excitement, sadness, and some great stories to tell. Along the way she gains enlightenment into herself, her past, and what she wants for her future. Although it is a fun and entertaining read, there is some depth to Delilah exploring her life choices.
Abi Walton
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Really enjoyed this book after watching the film like a million times because i think it is amazing i decided to buy the book and was surprised at how different it is I like them both now I would definitely read Twenty Times A Lady Again. I enjoyed how ditzy and not perfect Dalilah was and how she still managed to find Colin a man who is amazingly perfect but flawed like her
Courtney
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you watched the movie and thought "this isn't actually that great" my only advice to you is: never judge a book by its movie. Trust me, the film didn't do it justice! At all!!! Most the main events were changed and it took away the uniqueness that the book gave us. Trust me on this, its such a fun read and so much better than the film!
Danielle
cute beginning... got a little crazy in the middle and predictable ending. none the less - would be a great book for the beach.. now i need to see the movie!
Lisa
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good light hearted story
Angela
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Karyn is my friend and decicated this book to my Mom, so I love it even more! She is a talented writer and has such great insight on social relationships and the current culture.
Trista
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was absurd. The main character, Delilah, has slept with 20 different men, which is her self-imposed limit. So that she doesn't have to become celibate for the rest of her life she decides to track down all 20 of these men from her past to see if they could maybe make it work this time around. She literally drives all across the country to find each man (or close enough), and discovers that maybe they're in her past for a reason. But that won't stop her from doing the most ridiculous th ...more
Danny R.
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe 3.5

... Pero la verdad es que me gustó harto. Sí, hay cosas que me hicieron ruido. Si yo hubiera sido familiar/amiga de Delilah le habría pegado hartas veces, porque toma decisiones bien estúpidas, pero de eso se trata todo.

No esperaba que la historia fuera en no menor medida de un road-trip, que lo es, y si me pareció un poco absurda la forma en la que ella puede permitirse ese viaje sin un trabajo (y que no terminara en la cárcel o peor, por todas las cosas estúpidas que hace), pero me en
Melanie
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This was a hilarious read. If you've seen the movie (What's your number?) you would know that Delilah Darling (Ally Darling in the movie) is a woman who has reached her self-imposed number of bed partners (20 bed partners.)

So instead of adding to her number she travels across the US finding her past flames to see if the fire can be revived. Can she make her next bed partner the one instead of number 21!

There was so many laughs while reading this book, so many. Highly recommend this for a funny a
Diana Montes
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to read this book because I love the movie based upon it with Anna Farris and Chris Evans. it was hard to get into the story, in fact I didn't like the recount of Delilah's chasing of her exboyfriends and how she fell in love with Collin... but the second half of it was bearable. as a matter of fact I gave it three stars because I took two jewels of wisdom for my moment in life. Delilah and her exboyfriends are surreal and drove me crazy, but I made it through.
Micki Boden
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have a complicated relationship with this story. I saw the movie adaptation of What's Your Number on a plane, and to say it wrecked me would be putting it mildly. Then after stumbling into this book randomly - I wanted to give it a read. It's very sweet, and an easy read. You'll laugh, you'll cry (hopefully not as many times as I did). I hope no matter what your number is, it makes you smile and think, and be a little kinder to yourself, your past, and the people around you.
Josefa Wann
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
First of all, terrible work by the editor at Harper Collins. I counted at least 4 times he/she wrote you're for your, and several instances of bad grammar. That was distracting.
The story was a quick read with some funny parts, but the main character was terribly irresponsible and annoying .
I will watch the movie (What's your Number), maybe I will like it better.
Nikki
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Nikki by: A friend
This book was recommended to me by a friend, the plot line sounded bizarre to me, but I gave it a go anyway. I still think the plot line is a little bit odd but I did like this book more than I expected. It wasn't the best read ever but the narration style made the book very comical and the voice was relatable. A bit over the top and predictable at times but still a decent read.
  • The Thing About Jane Spring
  • The Stepmother
  • Betsy and the Great World / Betsy's Wedding (Betsy-Tacy #9-10)
  • The Goddess Rules
  • PS, I Love You / If You Could See Me Now
  • Unpredictable
  • Cyber Cinderella
  • I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2)
  • Princess Lea: The Life Story of Lea Salonga
  • Happiness Sold Separately
  • Observation City
  • The Best of Pupung (The Best of Pupung, #6)
  • School of Fortune
  • The Best Day of Someone Else's Life
  • 29
  • The Girlfriend Curse
  • Too Cool for School (Diary of a Chav, #3)
  • Ang Mga Lambing ni Lolo Ding
Karyn Bosnak was born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago. After spending much of her early career as a television producer, she moved to New York in 2000 and became a writer. Her first book, the memoir SAVE KARYN (based on the website of the same name), received international media attention when it was published in 2003 resulting in appearances on the Today Show and 20/20. Karyn's second book a ...more
“When you are really in love, when it's the right guy, it's not this hard. Things fall into place; they work. If it's meant to be, it'll work itself out.” 17 likes
“To everyone who's ever second-guessed a decision they've made, our past makes us who we are. Have no regrets.” 12 likes