Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1

(Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1 #2-3)

In every generation, there is a Chosen One. A slayer destined to protect the human race. She alone must fight the demons of hell. She alone must risk her life to stop the spread of evil.

Buffy is the Chosen One.

In Coyote Moon, a typical night at the carnival becomes deadly as shape shifters turn the amusement park into their own house of horrors.

Buffy starts having past-
Published September 26th 2010 by Simon Pulse (first published June 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1

Midu Hadi
Mel Nestor
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why this book got so many negative reviews. What people need to realize: this is a book that is clearly written for the young adult audience. I was a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer t.v. show when I was a teenager. I am still a fan. I thought this book was an easy read and it kept my attention. People need to lighten up with the reviews and take it for what it is. I might even pick up Vol. 2!
Dawnie
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: paperbacks, read-2018
entertaining enough but nothing special and if you are a fanfiction reader this will be a big disappointment since i read way, way better buffy fanfics that had better story ideas and felt as if the characters where more true to how they were portrayed on the show.

all in all it’s my bad but i wish it would have been world better!
Bree
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Coyote Moon by John Vornholt: Absolutely ridiculous. The story was ludicrous (werecoyotes?? ...and Giles confirms the past existence of werealligators??) and Vornholt had clearly only ever watched one episode of BtVS, ever... and that episode was probably 'Go Fish'. The characters most out of whack were Giles and Xander, but Buffy and Willow were not that far behind. This story read like the author had what he thought was a good idea for a YA book, and somehow got the green light on using the Bu ...more
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2013
2 stars because of the 3rd story; 1.5 without it...

It's well-known (to Buffy fans at least) that Joss Whedon wrote 'Hush', an entirely silent episode of Buffy, in response to a review that said the only good thing about the show was it's witty dialogue. Sadly, the dialogue in this book is in no way comparable to that of the series. The writing is shocking, and in places downright embarrassing - like a middle-age man trying to pretend he's a teenage girl. All 3 are littered with clumsy references
Cassy
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first two books were a bit lame. So this book did sit on my bed side only reading a chapter or two a night. It wasnt until I got to the last book that I could stand reading more than one chapter. After two day of being sick with a cold, Ive finished it. Not bad. It kept me entertained, where the tv gave me headaches. It honestly shocks me that after 15 years... Im still a Buffy Fan. 😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣
graveyardgremlin
Night of the Living Re-run receives a generous one star. Full review here.

Coyote Moon is a 3.5 star read. Click for full review.

Unfortunately I never got around to a review for the best story in the volume, Portal Through Time, which is a solid four-star read.

Recommend either getting the books used or from the library, $10 seems rather pricy for what there is.
Sandra
Finished Coyote Moon and I rate it 4/5 stars. Will continue Night of the Living Rerun and Portal Through Time some other time.
Crymsyn Hart
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one. Also picked this up at a second hand store. It was great just like watching a Buffy episode.
Chriss
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meisha
Overall this book was a 2.5 stars. This book contains three stories that were previously published separately. I base that on my rating for each story contained and then averaged out. This wasn't really the greatest read, but had some shining moments that made me smile. One random thing that bugged me was that even though Coyote Moon appears first in the book, chronologically it would of happened after Night of the Living Rerun. I feel like it they are going to put these books into bigger volume ...more
Marina
it's not by Joss Whedon and unfortunately, that fact is SO OBVIOUS.
I'm a die hard Buffy fan, but I didn't enjoy these stories at all. In fact, I had to drop it after 2/3 of the second story, so I can't tell you how the last story is or if it is slightly better than the first two.
I feel like the characters were horribly written, highly stereotypical, their character traits way too exaggerated, it felt so forced and nothing like the characters of the show. Things like "the pretty librarian with hi
Craterdweller
Jan 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The uneven quality of the stories in this collection reminded me why I stopped reading Buffy novels. The first two stories are awful. The characterizations in Coyote Moon, Giles in particular, made me question just how familiar the author was with the series.

The second story - Night of the Living Rerun was a muddled mess. Not sure there's much more I can say about it.

The final story, Portal Through Time, was actually worth the read. Buffy and company travel back in time to stop vampire assassins
Bookreader1972
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars. I really enjoyed reading this, but I am a big fan of the Series so, it would have to have been truly bad to disappoint me.
All three stories are very good, all take place in the 2nd season, and the stories do read just like an episode.
The description of the the three stories gives enough away that I am not spoiling anything when I say that I like the 3rd story just a teensy bit better because of the time travel aspect of the story.
There are two more volumes, & I plan on reading them.
Thomas Meier
This is a collection of 3 different stories about Buffy and her adventures. The first story was great. It was just like the the show and comics. The other two stories were different. Did not feel like adventures that Buffy and her gang would be in. The last book was a little irritating at times, since time traveling was never part of the Buffyverse.
Christina
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
First, only read this book if you have watched some seasons of the tv show. Aside from that, I enjoyed the three stories in this book, the last being my favorite. I would suggest reading something between each story though because by the third story it becomes too much of one thing.
Maggie
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All three stories were a fun read, but the writing in the first two stories wasn't well crafted. The third, however, was an entertaining romp through time... Better written and in the spirit of the show.
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
I really enjoyed the first story, Coyote Moon, but I felt the other two were lacking. They didn’t really feel like Buffy stories.
Connie Berger
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like reading the screen play for the episodes!
Audrey
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
It was okay. Not the best thing I've read. Maybe the TV show is better.
The  SciFi Chick Muses
Look, it's not Joss but it IS Buffy stories! What's not to like?
Jennifer Biggs
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a perfect companion to the Buffyverse. The stories are compelling and fun to read. Any Buffy fan will enjoy it.
Trisha Wartooth
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love the Buffy books, I highly recommend them. It follows the t.v series closely which is awesome and has all of the much beloved characters from the show
Hannah smith
Jul 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
I prefer the tv series but once you start a series, you have to commit
Mia
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This was okay. It wasn’t too interesting. I’m not going to read the second one.
Sam Hellebrand
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was like the episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The only downfall I had with this book is that the stories in it didn't connect at all with each other. Plus the plot was really thin, there was only basic information. I loved the actual movie and the show, but the book not so much. The characters act like how they do in the shows which I liked about the book. I just wished that it was written in more detail and that the stories connected.
Desiree M ~*~*~ LiveReadCollect
So far this rating is for only Coyote Moon and Night of the Living Rerun. I'll read Portal Through Time sometime in the future.

Coyote Moon: 4 stars. This is a very good Buffy novel. It's set during the summer of Season 1. Buffy never left Sunnydale to visit her father in this novel though.

I really enjoyed the shifter aspect and I wish they did something with that on the show.

The relationship between Xander & Buffy is strained, which is a nice continuation of what happened in the finale of
Becky
Aug 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
This book is chock full of Buffy wow factor. It was actually quite an odd reading experience because I wasn’t forming the character in my own imagination but rather watching an episode of Buffy in my mind. Sarah Michelle Geller kicking butt left, right and centre. It had me laughing out loud with the teen talk and I have to say this was just such a fun and retro cool book to read. It is a bind-up of three Buffy stories, so I’ll tell you a little about each.

In Coyote Moon the carnival comes to Su
Amy Beer
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Since this book is three stories, I am going to review each story individually.

First, 'Coyote Moon', though reminding me somewhat of the season 1 Buffy episode where the teenagers are turned into hyenas, certainly kept me spooked the entire time. I will say that this story was the most predictable of the three, and had the element of everything seeming to happen too conveniently. I realise this has to happen some time in every story, but the lucky breaks were frequent in this story. The carnival
Charlynn
Jun 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Although I read the first two books included in this volume earlier this semester [before the blog], I wanted to talk about the third one as I just read it. Portal Through Time by Alice Henderson, I thought, was the best of the three offerings Volume One presented. It had the most complex plot (devotes to the Master were attempting to go back in time to kill slayers in order to change the slayer timeline and prevent Buffy from ever coming into power so as to allow the Master to rise), a deeper m ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 2 (BTVS Collection #2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 3 (BTVS Collection #3)
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 4 (Tales of the Slayer, #4)
  • The Deathless (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #7)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 6
  • One Thing or Your Mother (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2, #10)
  • Portal Through Time (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2, #6)
  • Long Way Home (Unseen Trilogy, #3)
  • Blood Ties (Oliver Nocturne, #3)
  • The Angel Chronicles, Vol. 2  (The Angel Chronicles, #2)
  • Wicked Willow II: Shattered Twilight (Wicked Willow, #2)
John Vornholt also writes as Caroline Goode.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1 (4 books)
  • Halloween Rain (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #1)
  • Night of the Living Rerun (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #2)
  • Coyote Moon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #3)
  • How I Survived My Summer Vacation (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #4)
“Six a.m.!" Xander cried. "I know that's a number on my clock, but I've never actually been awake to personally witness it!” 27 likes
“Boys", Buffy hissed through clenched teeth, "being quiet is an important part of sneaking."
"Oh, sorry", Xander said, reducing his voice to a whisper.
"Besides, ritual sacrifice is a religious rite", Giles went on quietly. "They wouldn't sacrifice just anyone at random. It's far more likely they'd suspect you of being a Roman spy scouting for the invasion and just outright kill you".
"Oh great! Great! Way to be encouraging Giles. And I suppose you'll just watch that happen, in your Watchery way.”
9 likes